Tuck variations

General discussion about the Playing Card Database.
Announcements and updates wil lalso be posted here.

Moderator: Playing Card DB Mod

dnwheeler

Tuck variations

Unread post by dnwheeler »

Has anyone given any thought to how to handle tuck variation for essentially the same deck? Some that come to mind are:
  • The Steampunk series - the bronze deck is available in embossed and non-embossed tucks. This is also complicated by the fact that one of these decks is sold by USPCC (and has a USPCC UPC code), whereas the others are Theory11.
  • The Bridge Size decks - the tucks on these have changes over the years, although they have the same UPC code. This applies to many of the other standard USPCC decks. There are also some of these with extra "advertising" printed on the tuck (one of these is in the PCDB: Rider Back 808 Blue (With Texas Hold'em Rules).
  • The Prestige decks are available in at least 3 boxes: a standard tuck, a cardboard slip cover, and a clear plastic hinged box.
It is also difficult determining what to name some of the other decks that may or may not be just tuck differences. This mostly applies to the "game" decks like Rummy and Pinochle, which have been released in many different forms over the years. In some cases, even the card backs are different between releases.

I'm sorry I'm asking more questions than I am providing suggestions for, but since I'm new here, I thought it was worthwhile getting some discussion going on some of these issues so that we end up with a coherent system that addresses these issues is a consistent manner.
montecarlojoe
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Re: Tuck variations

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

For more recent tuck swaps in a single project I'd refer to the naming convention thread.

The tuck swap would usually be given a name within the project, so would be simple enough to add in the variant.

For those that are re-released corporate decks that change over time, dates would be a sensible way to differentiate them if no other sensible variant can be determined.
(Of course dating decks opens up a whole other issue!)