Unreleased Decks in PCDB

General discussion about the Playing Card Database.
Announcements and updates wil lalso be posted here.

Moderator: Playing Card DB Mod

ecNate
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 400

Unreleased Decks in PCDB

Unread post by ecNate »

I noticed that @iDoctor and possibly others created a bunch of entries in PCDB for decks that have not yet been printed. New Seasons, Golden Spike, Mauger, Mana Sybil, etc. I understand wanting to track these if you have pre-ordered, but in past discussion we agreed decks would only be added AFTER they are printed and delivered. The concern is if decks are not actually created then we end up with ghosts in the database.

Is there a recommendation to change this guideline? Certainly decks should only be added if funded (imagine the nightmare if any deck that tries to get funded is added :shock: ), but should we continue to wait to be sure they are delivered or just add them as a placeholder as soon as they are funded? Perhaps could be a new naming convention of 'in production' or 'pre-ordered', but then it would require the deck and all entries in collections to have to be re-named. Perhaps then a flag on the deck as an attribute with similar name? Or we just delete the deck if it ends up never getting printed?

Thoughts?
montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Re: Unreleased Decks in PCDB

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

It was agreed only decks that have actually been produced and delivered should be included.

However, I have been mulling over doing something similar to what rhu has made for the KS tracking threads, as they are very time consuming to maintain (and I often get behind).
Maybe, at some point, the PCDB could pick this up too - with the suggested 'Platform' pick list, Project start date, Project End Date, Fulfilment Target Date & Status (In progress / in production / Fulfiled*** / Late Fulfilment** / Abandoned** / Cancelled* / Did not Fund*) fields would take care of the rest.
* Statuses would aut soft-delete.
** Defacto "Hall of Shame". Late would be over 6 months past target date.
*** Only Fulfilled decks would count towards your collection.

Obviously just an idea (and largely down to my own laziness lol).

In the meantime an asterisked prefix in the name might work: *In Production* Golden Spike (Black)"
By adding to the front of the name this would also force any unfulfilled projects to the to of any given list.

Though I think the last word on this should really be Rhu's!
dazzleguts
White Whale: Das Kartenspiel Des Oberdeutsc
Decks Owned: 885

Unread post by dazzleguts »

montecarlojoe wrote:
...(and largely down to my own laziness lol)....
:lol:
Sorry to revive this but considering how much you've done around the forum Joe this made me laugh.
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"
montecarlojoe

You mean periodically breaking stuff then scrambling madly to put it all back? ;)
dazzleguts
White Whale: Das Kartenspiel Des Oberdeutsc
Decks Owned: 885

Unread post by dazzleguts »

Ssshhhh

We only see the miracle cures :shock:
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"
montecarlojoe

:D
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

As stated. it's been agreed for very good reasons on why only PRINTED and DELIVERED decks should be added. I understand the desire to track what is on order, I myself have added decks to my wishlist and the database for those that are in the mail, but these were at least printed. It seems a bit premature to add decks that haven't even been to the printers yet, but it looks like quite a few people also added the new v3 Seasons to collections:
[08:49] iDoctor added Seasons v3 Verana Limited Edition to their collection!
[06:49] Sher added Seasons v3 Verana Limited Edition to their collection!
[17:14] Williaby added Seasons v3 Verana Limited Edition to their collection!

Perhaps eventually rhu can add a status for decks not yet printed (database level) or received (collection level), but until then I STRONGLY suggest we stop adding decks that are not yet printed. Ideally I would prefer to delete these from the database, but I don't want to be that guy, especially since people are adding them already.

Long term though it would be great to have new options here, to give rhu some ideas Board Game Geek handles it this way, notice the preordered status.
Possibly this could be used at the database level with basic status option of In production (anything pre-ordered AND funded if crowd funded) which can then ONLY be added to a person's current wishlist or a new pre-ordered / in-delivery collection list. Joe's idea for handling Kickstarter and other platforms would be really cool for having PCDB also track crowd funded projects as the links, cross references, stats would be really neat. Although I am guessing that may be too ambitious.
iDoctor
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by iDoctor »

Ok, ecNate, I agree.
Although it's not easy to use 2 or 3 different databases (one for delievered decks, another one for ordered printed decks, another one for ordered but not printed), I agree that it's better to avoid of adding unprinted decks to PCDB. At the same time I suppose that the best way is to add some marks like 'ordered' for purchased decks in shipment - to count these decks separately in our databases in one place.
Yours, iDoctor