Hoyle

General discussion about the Playing Card Database.
Announcements and updates wil lalso be posted here.

Moderator: Playing Card DB Mod

dazzleguts
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Das Kartenspiel Des Oberdeutsc
Decks Owned: 885

Hoyle

Unread post by dazzleguts »

I have a Delta deck made by Hoyle in 1996. USPCC hadn't bought them yet so they were a maker in their own right. The deck isn't old enough for the vintage section, and it can't go in as an unknown since it's definitely Hoyle. There won't be a lot of decks in this situation since it will only apply after 1994 (if we're using 20 years as the vintage designation) and up until USPCC bought them in 2001. That time period will also shrink as the vintage designation moves up with each year.

What is the best area of DB for this deck?

(This also brings up the situation of having decks in the individual makers and unknown/other categories becoming vintage as time goes by.)

**EDIT
Ok I just looked at the "Unknown" section and there are many decks in there whose makers are actually known. In fact Lee Asher's Fourniers are in there rather than in the Fournier section (Fournier is where they should be). Shall I just put the Hoyle Delta in there?
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Re: Hoyle

Unread post by ecNate »

rhu has mentioned in the past that the Unknown or '-' category is really 'NULL' or 'Undefined' and includes those really unknown, but also those made by creators not yet notable with as many decks to have their own category. Your deck is interesting and could make case for it being included under USPCC, having a new Hoyle added or just listing under vintage. I don't know enough about the Hoyle history and all their decks to make a call, but do agree that the Unknown category makes as much sense as any for now.

Eventually more groups will need to be created (all the Legends decks are buried in there too), but if we move from category groupings to multiple attributes and dynamic groupings then much of this gets solved through that means anyhow. Decks could then be USPCC and vintage (perhaps through either direct label or an automatic assignment based on year produced). With a new navigation it wouldn't matter as much if there are 5 or 50 groups in each category either, especially if it supports type ahead search when adding.

Getting decks added is the primary goal and if not clear then your choice of unknown is a good place to start.

Also, I moved the Fournier ones.
dazzleguts

Thanks ecNate :)

I'll put the Hoyle Delta in the 'unknown' section.
There are many Hoyle brands that may show up in collections so the company could end up with it's own section eventually. They will most often cross over with vintage though so dynamic groupings would be good.

Some Hoyle brands:
Maverick
Kent
Stardust
Shellback
Stancraft
Trump
Delta
...etc
Worldwide Time Machine

rhu

Unread post by rhu »

I really can't keep putting this off, we've had about 7 or so extra contributors approved in the last week and starting to get some e-mails from some non-UC members too :)

My knowledge of cards has reached it's limits, I'm now learning about new decks every day I open up PCDB so I honestly have no idea how best to categorise everything going forward :) I'll dig out the original post about this ecNate and try to implement that soon.
PlayingCardDB - we bag and tag playing cards
dazzleguts

What Rhu, you're not all-knowing? ;)

Seriously though, no one person could know all the cards, and it's great so many are willing to help so no one person has to. I don't envy you the task of trying to put it all in a comprehensive order of some sort.
Worldwide Time Machine

montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

I love that you're starting to get non-UC interest too!
dazzleguts

Another round of who goes where. :mrgreen:
I have some Piatnik and Fournier decks that are also vintage decks. I don't want to make work for anyone by placing them in their company section when they should go into vintage, or vintage if they should be in their own section. Shall I just wait on posting those until the categories are more settled, or is there perhaps a concensus on where they can go?
Worldwide Time Machine

montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

Behind the scene a couple of us have access to soon-to-be-implemented categories for Manufacturer, Producer, Brand & Artist. A name can appear in more than one category...

So hopefully this will be easier in the future.

Hell - if you want to list a few that'd be great!
Frimann79
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by Frimann79 »

Hey guys.

I'm a little confused about some Hoyle decks.

There's one called Hoyle Dot (id=2210) with no picture attached to it. I kinda assume we're talking about this deck: Image Image since it's the most common. But I also have this deck from Hoyle: Image Image

Same thing with the deck called Hoyle Stripe (id=2211). This is probably the intended deck: Image Image . But I have another striped deck from Hoyle: Image Image. Well.. kinda striped, right? :D

Since most Hoyle decks have a number, wouldn't it be easier if we used them either in the name or in the description? On the deck in the first pictures it says on the box: Hoyle Poker Size, No. 851.

On a side note: What would you guys call the two "rogue" Hoyle decks in the pictures? They're definitely made by Hoyle, but I'm not sure they belong under the Hoyle brand.

I also have this Hoyle deck: Image Image. It has No. 9015, but what should I call it if not Hoyle 9015? No name pops up if you google "Hoyle 9015", and a reversed picture search doesn't give any results either :uggrin:

Sorry for being such a n00b.. I just want to be absolutely sure before I add or edit anything in the database :D
jerichoholic
White Whale: Many
Decks Owned: 4800

Unread post by jerichoholic »

I believe I added Hoyle Dot and Hoyle Stripe and they are the ones you believe them to be. The last one I believe is under Hoyle Green. In fact all of them have pictures now, so there should be no confusion.
Save 10% at Playing Card Decks here - https://app.marsello.com/Portal/Custom/ ... 561772eaee
Save 10% at Card Addiction here using code VJOSE32 - https://card-addiction.com/?ref=1efow7c06m
Check out my collection - http://portfolio52.com/profile/124
Check out my reviews - https://www.youtube.com/vjose32
The Card Club - https://www.facebook.com/groups/vjose32
Instagram - http://www.instagram.com/vjose32
Game Collection - https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/vjose32
Frimann79
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by Frimann79 »