[ *** P52 Help: Portfolio52 FAQs *** ]

General discussion about the Playing Card Database.
Announcements and updates wil lalso be posted here.

Moderator: Playing Card DB Mod

ecNate
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 400

[ *** P52 Help: Portfolio52 FAQs *** ]

Unread post by ecNate »

The following is no longer current as it was NOT fully updated for the new Portfolio52 site that was migrated on Oct 14, 2016. Instead refer to the new FAQ directly on the new site - http://www.portfolio52.com/faq. Also, all users will probably have to reset their passwords if you don't use the Facebook option since they apparently properly stored passwords encrypted so there was not a way to migrate those.

Also, included within this FAQ is a link to the 'Guidelines for adding and editing to Portfolio52' (duplicated here for easier reference).

Q. Is it Portfolio52 (P52) or PlayingCardDB (PCDB)??? There are a number of names and references used
A. Initially it was called PlayingCard Database, but after Alex from Seasons became involved and the move to v2 (see below) it was renamed. P52 is just a shortened nickname for Portfolio52 which is the official new name. As a result, some older names and URLs may still linger or incorrectly be used on new discussions by some.

Q. Who designed, manages, supports this website? Can I contribute?
A. Originally Rhu from the UnitedCardists forums started the website as a way to record personal collection before it was expanded for others to use and continues to develop and support the site with some support from UnitedCardists, including the use of this forum. As of May/June 2015 it is now owned and fully sponsored by Seasons Playing Cards.

Q. How do I get access to this database/system?
A. Simply self-register on the site, this will let you select existing decks from the database to add to your collection.

Q. How do I get access to add new decks?
A. To have your account upgraded to Contributor, complete the contact form on PCDB and request Contributor account upgrade (be sure to list your P52 username), non or new UC members (and especially non or new PCDB members) may not be granted access right away at site owner's discretion. You can also PM ecNate for possible consideration, but he may defer you to the form in some cases.

Q. How do I get access to edit existing decks (change text, images, deck thumbnail, etc)?
A. Same as above, complete the contact form on PCDB and request Editor account upgrade (be sure to list your P52 username), but not all requests will be granted to maintain database consistency and integrity. You can also PM ecNate for possible consideration, but he may defer you to the form in some cases.

Q. So what are all the access levels available?
A. Excellent question, here are the current roles:
- (Member): default/new level of access, able to add existing decks to collection
- Contributor: adds access to add new decks into the database with images (no longer able to edit existing decks in any method, including can no longer add images to existing decks)
- Editor: adds ability to edit decks in the database with name/description/date changes, select tuck front/back images, add new images, etc. List of current editors (April 27, 2016):

+ 4.of.Clubs
+ amadhatter53
+ badpete69
+ CBJ
+ dazzleguts
+ decibelhz
+ Emptysea1229 (emptysea on P52)
+ flashcards
+ flyers3003
+ iDoctor
+ LouCipherr
+ MagicOrthodoxy
+ MagikFingerz
+ nECrO
+ Ratledge
+ Slavich
+ Sparkz
+ vasta41
+ vjose32
+ Volantangel
+ Plus Rhu, AMChin, ecNate, Joe via high level roles

- Moderator: adds access to restricted admin page to modify brand lists (plus upcoming features for artist, manufacturer, etc). In v2 this may have no added function since admin is now required to modify these dropdown options.
- Admin: full access to all site configuration (ONLY Rhu, and now ecNate, have that level)

Q. What if I'm not a member of UnitedCardists?
A. Umm, OK. Why not? ;) You are still welcome to request access to PCDB, but it may be more of a challenge to have your account upgraded.

Q. Are there standards or guidelines for adding new decks or editing?
A. Yes, please see here.

Q. I have Contributor or higher access, how do I add a deck? There isn't an obvious button or menu option!
A. Yeah, this is awkward, sorry about that. Rhu is working hard on other features and plans to integrate this, but assuming you have proper access you need to bookmark this secret URL to add decks - http://www.portfolio52.com/node/add/deck

Q. How do I logout?
A. This was a bit of an after thought so it's not integrated with an action or button yet. Most users will want to remain logged in, but if you are using a public or friend's computer you may want to do this, likewise for any system troubleshooting. The URL to do this is http://www.portfolio52.com/user/logout

Q. Does it support owning multiple copies? What about decks for trade? What about keeping a wishlist?
A. Yes. Yes. Yes. You can add deck(s) to your collection from brand listings or to collection/trade/wishlist from individual deck items.

Q. So it helps find trades, but can it help me find that deck I want to buy?
A. There is a new ebay search function that auto locates any potential matches on ebay when opening a deck entry. Also, while there isn't a 'for sale' flag to list all decks your or others have for sale, certainly items listed for trade can be traded for cash instead of another deck (contact the deck's owner to find out).

Q. What is the company field for and what is the difference between brand, company and manufacturer?
A. Think if it as producer, the person or company that made the deck happen. It may or may not be the manufacturer, designer, artist, etc. Artists: person(s) that created the actual artwork), Brand: the commercial brand applied to some decks, usually Bicycle, Bee, Tally Ho, etc), Manufacturer: the actual printer of the deck, although sometimes the company behind an unamed printer, like EPCC), Company (aka producer, the person(s) or company(s) that had the vision and saw the idea complete to creation)

Q. The deck I want to add doesn't have the related brand available, how can I get it as an option?
A. See latest process to request additions here under related subsection

Q. How does the trade feature work (I have things on my wishlist, how do I find people that have available for trade/sale)?
A. As of early Sept 2015 this is now available direct from the menu link, but further details on use are documented here.

Q. Seeing the 6 most recently added decks to the database is nice, but what about those prior to it (the old PlayingCardDB showed all decks in order of most recently listed)?
A. This was just recently added and is currently a 'secret feature', meaning there isn't a built in menu item or button. Go here - http://www.portfolio52.com/recently-added

Q. How can I report a bug? Q. What are the known issues?
A. Yet another two-fer! It's best to first see if there is an existing thread and if not create a new one within this 'Support Requests / Bug Reports' sub forum on UnitedCardists.

Q. How can I request a new feature? Q. What is being worked?
A. Again, it's best to first see if there is an existing thread and if not create a new one within this 'Feature Requests' sub forum on UnitedCardists.

Q. Can I export or save my collection?
A. LOST FEATURE - A proper export is still planned and with the change to v2 the workaround described here hasn't yet been tested or instructions updated: Not directly, but there's a number of workarounds available that should get what you need, although these have not been tested using v2 (P52). Details on the options and steps in this thread.

Q. I want to document my assigned number of a numbered/serialized deck or document condition, etc
Q. I don't like how a deck was named in the database, how can I get it changed?
A. LOST FEATURE - At the moment the following is context how it USED to work in PCDB prior to move to v2, it is being evaluated for a possible return: Once a deck is added to your collection, you have the ability to edit the name and/or add a custom description. When you click on a deck from within your collection view, you'll have an 'Edit' option under '[your-username] Stats' section. Clicking on this will allow you to rename the deck, add a custom description, update quantity (owned, for trade, wishlist), etc.

Q. What statistics about the database or individual collections are available?
A. LOST FEATURE - these have not yet been re-added to P52: While there are more in the planning stages, currently much of the statistics about the database are found on the index page. This includes the most popular and owned decks, unique and total decks in all collections, decks, scans and images in the database, etc. For individual collections, the both the total quantity and number of unique decks owned are listed only on the collection list view and also in the trade & wish lists (not available in grid view). There is also not yet automatic totals for quantities in trade or wishlists.

Q. What is the difference between 'Popular Decks' vs 'Most Owned'?
A. LOST FEATURE - these have not yet been re-added to P52: 'Most Owned' is determined by total quantity owned (multiple decks per collection likely) and 'Popular Decks' as determined by the number of collections that contain at least a single copy of that deck.

Q. Can I add an item to this FAQ?
A. Post as a comment and if it can be considered to be 'frequent' we'll add it.
ecNate

Re: PlayingCardDB FAQs

Unread post by ecNate »

Added a few more entries and corrections. My intent is that once key changes are made and clarified this will transition into a proper mini user manual instead of a long list of FAQs.

Please let me know if anything here is incorrect (especially user access levels), out dated or needs clarification. Likewise, any other additions?
montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

Very nice job!
Ben Taylor

Unread post by Ben Taylor »

ecNate wrote:Q. I need to differentiate 2 copies of the same deck in my collection (one has a tuckbox, the other was lost, etc)?
Q. I don't like how a deck was named in the database, how can I get it changed?
A. A two-fer! Once a deck is added to your collection, you have the ability to edit the name. When you click on a deck from within your collection view, you'll have an 'Edit' option under '[your-username] Stats' section. Clicking on this will allow you to rename the deck, add a custom description, update quantity (owned, for trade, wishlist), etc.
I have 2 copies of a certain deck. 1 is signed, 1 is not. When I give the deck a custom name in my collection to show it's signed, it works fine. But I can't figure out how to add another version that's not signed. All it will let me do is edit the number of signed decks I have.
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

Yeah, I took that from rhu's description of why it was designed that way, but also could not get it to work. It's possible a later design change modified how that works or was a misunderstanding. Certainly you could have a custom description to explain both or custom name like append "1 signed, 1 unsigned". I would suggest doing both.

I also was thinking it might be good to have say 10 decks added called Unlisted Deck 1-10. In that way people could add up to 10 unlisted decks to their collection and rename to fit their needs. This would be good for those who can't yet add new decks to db or situation like yours. Of course the tuck image would be generic and would add clutter to db. Thoughts?
rhu

Unread post by rhu »

Before you could have multiple decks in your collection with the same DeckID. Now you can only have 1 deck with 1 DeckID but with multiple quantity.

Basically I added a quantity field to avoid having multiple rows so it doesn't quite work the same.
PlayingCardDB - we bag and tag playing cards
Ben Taylor

Unread post by Ben Taylor »

Well I figured a way around it. I add the regular deck to my collection. Then I add any other deck that's not currently in my collection. (I picked a basic red rider back to test it). I edited the information on the rider back, but changed the "Deck type" to the same one as the original. It shows the correct thumbnails, and it's linked to the correct deck. I can also go back and add another rider back without it affecting the custom deck.

https://playingcarddb.com/dbdeck?mydeckid=16202" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://playingcarddb.com/dbdeck?mydeckid=22182" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WillHart CthulhuWho1
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by WillHart CthulhuWho1 »

Pardon me if this has been asked before...

I recently completed the contact form on PCDB and requested a Contributor Account Upgrade so I can add the images and info for the decks that I own that aren't currently posted in the DB; but while I'm waiting for an upgrade approval or denial, I've got quite a few decks pulled out of my storage boxes, that I don't mind having piled all-over if I'm going to be scanning them for uploading, but I'd rather put them away if I won't be getting an upgrade.

So the question is, when you ask for an upgrade, does somebody notify you one way or the other, so you'll know whether to scan or repack your decks? And roughly how long it takes for a response?

Curious in Fullerton, California

Will Hart
Will Hart
Fullerton, California
Most of my collection:
http://www.portfolio52.com/collection/277/images
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

WillHart CthulhuWho1 wrote:Pardon me if this has been asked before...

I recently completed the contact form on PCDB and requested a Contributor Account Upgrade so I can add the images and info for the decks that I own that aren't currently posted in the DB; but while I'm waiting for an upgrade approval or denial, I've got quite a few decks pulled out of my storage boxes, that I don't mind having piled all-over if I'm going to be scanning them for uploading, but I'd rather put them away if I won't be getting an upgrade.

So the question is, when you ask for an upgrade, does somebody notify you one way or the other, so you'll know whether to scan or repack your decks? And roughly how long it takes for a response?

Curious in Fullerton, California

Will Hart
At the moment the ONLY person who can change your access is Rhu. He's in the UK and I believe has a standard work shift so evenings UK time and weekends would be the most likely times he would even have an opportunity to process such requests. Given the time there now, if you don't have a response by now I would imagine it will be at least another 16 hours or so. That of course assumes he sees the request and has time to manage it. You could also send him a PM here if you are worried something was misrouted and you've been waiting a while, but I think he comes here even less than email.

While there aren't any formal rules for who is given access or when, looking at your collection and since you are a long time member here, I would be shocked if your request was denied. It may just take some time (a few days or more depending on Rhu's schedule).
rhu

Unread post by rhu »

You'll be approved today once I'm back on a computer :) Apologies for the delay in getting back to you, I usually set aside an hour or two a week and just reply to all my PCDB e-mails in one go :)

Also a PCDB v2 feature will be to give moderators the ability to approve people so I'm not always causing delays ;)
rhu

Unread post by rhu »

Done :) You can add new decks from the company pages and add new images from the deck pages.
dleiber
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 150

Re: [ *** PCDB Help: PlayingCardDB FAQs *** ]

Unread post by dleiber »

ecNate, your access level descriptions say that a basic Member can "add images". This suggests to me that I can upload my own scans to my own collection pages, but that does not seem to be the case. Am I missing something?

If this really just means that by adding a deck from the database to my own collection, I automatically get the images already associated with that deck, maybe this could be clarified.

Thanks.
ecNate

Re: [ *** PCDB Help: PlayingCardDB FAQs *** ]

Unread post by ecNate »

Thanks, fixed. I think that was a copy/paste mistake from earlier and got it on the wrong line. I 'think' what I have now is accurate, but only Rhu knows them all for sure, but those in a given role can correct me if I got something else wrong.
dleiber wrote:ecNate, your access level descriptions say that a basic Member can "add images". This suggests to me that I can upload my own scans to my own collection pages, but that does not seem to be the case. Am I missing something?

If this really just means that by adding a deck from the database to my own collection, I automatically get the images already associated with that deck, maybe this could be clarified.

Thanks.
ecNate

Re: [ *** P52 Help: Portfolio52 FAQs *** ]

Unread post by ecNate »

Made a few more updates here too as a result of change to P52 and v2. Still have to review these fully and work with others on different roles to confirm, but major changes include references to P52 and added current editor list.
dleiber
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 150

Unread post by dleiber »

Just a formatting note: your question for exporting a collection shows in the wrong color as the HTML color tag has a typo in it (so shows also just as text).
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

dleiber wrote:Just a formatting note: your question for exporting a collection shows in the wrong color as the HTML color tag has a typo in it (so shows also just as text).

Got it, thanks.
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

Just FYI, made a bunch of updates over the past few months and more today. Mostly related to change to v2 and recent enhancements added. Please let me know if there is anything inaccurate or missing from what you would consider an FAQ.
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

I've migrated the relevant content from this page directly to the FAQ on the site. As a result I've removed the sticky from this posting, but will keep it around for further discussion and historical reference.