Contribute to Playing Card DB!

General discussion about the Playing Card Database.
Announcements and updates wil lalso be posted here.

Moderator: Playing Card DB Mod

montecarlojoe
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Re: Contribute to Playing Card DB!

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

Absolutely.

I like 'Model' too - it's covered by the naming convention at the moment, but if we (rhu) in the future splits that into seperate parts then model and variant would be a good way to go ("name" being a combination of the two that would be displayed for example).

Some names like MPC could qualify as Manufactuer too... (Impressions deck, producer, brand and manufacturer would be MPC!)
iDoctor
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by iDoctor »

Absolutely agree - as with Brand-Producer-Manufacturer structure so with Model.
Yours, iDoctor
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

iDoctor, take a break man! :lol: You're killing it over there, great job and thanks!

iDoctor

Unread post by iDoctor »

ecNate wrote:iDoctor, take a break man! :lol: You're killing it over there, great job and thanks!

ecNate, that's thanks to you only!
You've invited me as to upload my collection so to join the team :D
You and Rhu are the soul and the engine of the database, I've just tried to do all my best to follow you!
Yours, iDoctor
montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

Yeah - but it's the enthusiastic contributors like you that will make the difference between a good resource to a truly stupendous one!
dazzleguts
White Whale: Das Kartenspiel Des Oberdeutsc
Decks Owned: 885

Unread post by dazzleguts »

It is amazing how many decks you've put up in a relatively short time iDoctor :shock:
I'm plugging away at 8 or so decks every one or two days. Have you found any particularly useful shortcuts or programs for getting it done? I've been cropping scans into a single folder and then sizing them in batches, but the program I'm using won't let me adjust the colour and sharpness in batches - just one at a time.
iDoctor

Unread post by iDoctor »

Thank you, guys, for so kind words! :)
Unfortunately I don't have any special scanner or image editor, but a very standard Mac programm only.
I've just got a flu that days.. I've had nothing to do but have had my own cards photobank (collected before).
And I've been absolutely charmed by the PCDB, so have done nothing but uploaded my scans - hence the upload's speed.
I'm glad that could improve PDCB a little bit, it's a really stupendous resource!
Yours, iDoctor
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

Congrats team! We hit the 2,000 deck mark!!! Actually, 2049 at the moment. Well done! https://playingcarddb.com/carddatabase

BTW - how delayed is the statistic count on the front page? It's really far off, being 90 decks behind.
Our members have already added over 1959 unique decks to the site, and over 27291 decks to their collections in total!
iDoctor

Unread post by iDoctor »

ecNate wrote:Congrats team! We hit the 2,000 deck mark!!! Actually, 2049 at the moment. Well done! https://playingcarddb.com/carddatabase
Thank you, Nate! Pretty cool! PCDB is growing so fast now. Really well done :D
Yours, iDoctor
Sparkz

Unread post by Sparkz »

Gratz guys, I think the site is helping a lot of collectors get their collection in front of people in a nice clean, simple format.........kudos all around.

I think as members become more comfortable you'll see the "Trade" and "Wish List" features start to pay off for members in the long run :D
dazzleguts

@ecNate
I thought it looked wrong that so many new decks were showing up but the number hadn't gone up that much.

@ Sparkz
I haven't been using the trade and whishlist functions yet, partly because the shipping between different countries is so high now that single deck trades just aren't very feasable. Also, when a deck is entered as a trade is it also still entered as a deck in your collection, or would that be doubling up?
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

ecNate wrote:Congrats team! We hit the 2,000 deck mark!!! Actually, 2049 at the moment. Well done! https://playingcarddb.com/carddatabase

BTW - how delayed is the statistic count on the front page? It's really far off, being 90 decks behind.

:oops: :cry: Apparently our celebration was premature. I looked closer at the database list and some numbers are missing, no doubt because of decks that were (soft) deleted. Duh. So the total seen in the listing isn't accurate since it includes those that are still there, but hidden as 'deleted'. I'm still not sure the total shown on the front page is fully accurate, I know there is at least up to 24 hour delay, maybe more, but either way we actually are not there YET.
Our members have already added over 1977 unique decks to the site, and over 27539 decks to their collections in total!
dazzleguts

Well then - we have something to look forward to. :D How will you celebrate ecNate? I'll toast the moment we reach 2000 with a McEwans Scotch Ale. Just let me know when it's time to tip my glass...
iDoctor

Unread post by iDoctor »

dazzleguts wrote:Well then - we have something to look forward to. :D How will you celebrate ecNate? I'll toast the moment we reach 2000 with a McEwans Scotch Ale. Just let me know when it's time to tip my glass...
Not bad idea, so I put champagne into the fridge. Let's clink glasses on time :D

EDIT: I've added several decks to speed up the event, hope we do this to weekend!
Yours, iDoctor
dazzleguts

:D I added 2 more decks, and the counter was at 1998, so we should be at or over 2000. :ugdance:
I think it will show the change late tonight?
Worldwide Time Machine

iDoctor

Unread post by iDoctor »

Should be so, let's check tomorrow morning ;)
Yours, iDoctor
dazzleguts

Are you having your champagne breakfast yet idoctor?
I just quaffed a McEwans and toasted the well over 2000 decks now posted. A contributer called ModiTorsen has taken us to 2016.
Congrats to Rhu, and ecNate as well. :ugdance: :D :ugdance:
Worldwide Time Machine

Modi

Unread post by Modi »

I'm ModiTorsen over there, just in case anyone wants to yell at me for something. And sweet job with the over 2K listed, and the DB in general, I'm really digging it. There aren't nearly enough resources on the net for playing card collectors, and I think this has the potential to really help people.
iDoctor

Unread post by iDoctor »

dazzleguts wrote:Are you having your champagne breakfast yet idoctor?
I just quaffed a McEwans and toasted the well over 2000 decks now posted. A contributer called ModiTorsen has taken us to 2016.
Congrats to Rhu, and ecNate as well. :ugdance: :D :ugdance:
Hi, duzzleguts, great! I'm going to open my champagne right now.

ModiTorsen - thank you! :ucstar:

Rhu, ecNate - congrats and prosit! :)

EDIT: I've just added The Drinking Deck to celebrate the event :D
Yours, iDoctor
rhu

Unread post by rhu »

This is fantastic to see, I just cleared out my PCDB e-mail and approved another 5 or so contributors :) We're getting a lot of attention from non-UC sources now.

I have a rare long weekend, let's see if I can't finish at least one new feature by Monday ;)
PlayingCardDB - we bag and tag playing cards
rhu

Unread post by rhu »

My one new feature: https://playingcarddb.com/userlist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :)
iDoctor

Unread post by iDoctor »

rhu wrote:My one new feature: https://playingcarddb.com/userlist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :)
Rhu, thank you very much! :ugthink: :D
Yours, iDoctor
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

iDoctor wrote:EDIT: I've just added The Drinking Deck to celebrate the event :D
And I just added Loaded Kings, :lol:
rhu wrote:My one new feature: https://playingcarddb.com/userlist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :)
VERY, VERY nice! Make those columns click sortable some day with index value at the front and that would be super awesome, but this will really help to see who has what access and if somebody really needs to know there is always copy/paste into a spreadsheet. Why is points listed twice? Perhaps re-purpose that for decks for trade?

Speaking of points, is it listed anywhere how those are earned? I realize they are given for adding decks and photos, but what is rate for each action?

Now that you also displayed the access level names I updated the FAQ section for it (Rhu, please review and correct as a comment there if needed) - http://unitedcardists.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=5666
Slavich

Unread post by Slavich »

rhu wrote:My one new feature: https://playingcarddb.com/userlist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :)
Great feature rhu :)
dazzleguts

Whoa...The DB now has 2155 decks! Where did the extra 100+ come from?
Worldwide Time Machine

ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

dazzleguts wrote:Whoa...The DB now has 2155 decks! Where did the extra 100+ come from?

Looks like vjose32 is going to town! I think he owns every deck ever created, at least modern ones. Now that he's active and has access to add I think it will increase even more.
dazzleguts

:shock:
Many many blank spots where deck images are still missing. That must be why so many didn't show up as new decks on the front page. The number seemed to come out of nowhere.
Worldwide Time Machine

rhu

Unread post by rhu »

I really need to make sortable columns, it wouldn't even be a big job. I have no excuse not to do it during the holiday.

Regarding points... they're erm. Hardcoded. And not referenced in any central location. Uploading images is worth more than updating a deck with a new date for instance. Only the first person to upload a scan for a deck gets the credit. Other than that I have no idea what anything is worth anymore :D I think it's better not knowing, and they're probably subject to change as I see fit.
ecNate wrote:
iDoctor wrote:EDIT: I've just added The Drinking Deck to celebrate the event :D
And I just added Loaded Kings, :lol:
rhu wrote:My one new feature: https://playingcarddb.com/userlist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.... :)
VERY, VERY nice! Make those columns click sortable some day with index value at the front and that would be super awesome, but this will really help to see who has what access and if somebody really needs to know there is always copy/paste into a spreadsheet. Why is points listed twice? Perhaps re-purpose that for decks for trade?

Speaking of points, is it listed anywhere how those are earned? I realize they are given for adding decks and photos, but what is rate for each action?

Now that you also displayed the access level names I updated the FAQ section for it (Rhu, please review and correct as a comment there if needed) - http://unitedcardists.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=5666
Chuqii

Unread post by Chuqii »

What do I need to do to be able to upload scans to the database? I have a bunch of vintage KEM cards I'd like to add.
Check out my decks for sale on eBay. Contact me directly if you see something you like. - Clay
https://www.ebay.com/sch/clahobo/m.htm ... =&_from="
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

Chuqii wrote:What do I need to do to be able to upload scans to the database? I have a bunch of vintage KEM cards I'd like to add.
Your access has to be upgraded, but you have to request and it be approved. Given you haven't seen the guidelines yet I would suggest you review and wait before requesting an upgrade. It's critical that those given access understand the community rules and abide by them, but if disagreement discuss here on the forums in appropriate thread.

http://unitedcardists.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=5666
Q. How do I get access to add new decks?
A. To have your account upgraded to Contributor, complete the contact form on PCDB and request Contributor account upgrade (be sure to list your PCDB username), non or new UC members (and especially non or new PCDB members) may not be granted access right away at site owner's discretion.

Q. How do I get access to edit existing decks (change text, images, deck thumbnail, etc)?
A. Same as above, complete the contact form on PCDB and request Editor account upgrade (be sure to list your PCDB username), but not all requests will be granted to maintain database consistency and integrity.