Help needed to review new deck submissions

General discussion about the Playing Card Database.
Announcements and updates wil lalso be posted here.

Moderator: Playing Card DB Mod

ecNate
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 400

Help needed to review new deck submissions

Unread post by ecNate »

Anybody with contributor account (the only step up from general user other than admin) should have the ability to review and approve new decks from general users. I need help in reviewing these and getting them into the system for visibility faster, especially as I have had to travel a lot for work lately and don't have the time. We have well over 50 trusted people in this category, I'm hoping people just didn't either realize it was an option/didn't know how or forgot about it. For the site to be a success we need greater community moderation. Thanks!

Please don't blindly approve submissions. It's important you confirm it's not a duplicate and improve the deck entry if needed to bare minimum standards, ask deck submitter for input/help if needed.

Process
1) Check for new submissions, the link is in the drop down of the top right of the site, but the direct link is https://www.portfolio52.com/decks/unapproved.
2) Open the submission to be reviewed and do a search in a new window/tab to see if the deck already exists and determine which to keep if duplicate*.
3) If the submission is to be approved then FIRST SAVE the deck to approve it. There is a bug that any changes made during review process are lost, other than required fields that you may be prompted for, so you must first save to approve.
4) Now that it's added to the system by the save, make any needed updates to create a quality deck entry as needed. This may mean downloading/cropping the provided images, validating claims, etc. As a result, you may wish to contact the submitter to have them provide such details or just reject and then contact submitter to provide a more complete submission.

* Duplicate review process - If new submission is a duplicate then evaluate if the new one or old one should be kept. If the new one is a much better submission and the old one just one or two people added to collections then use then approve the new one and mark the old one as duplicate. In most cases though we will need to reject the new submission as more people probably added the old one. However, before directly rejecting it you may want to use scans or content to update the old one. Might be good to notify the new submitter of the reason.
4.of.Clubs

Re: Help needed to review new deck submissions

Unread post by 4.of.Clubs »

I'll try to help out as much as I can. Question, what's the process to "Reject" an entry?
----------> Check out the decks I have for sale! <----------
----------> Also check out my Trade List and Wish List, maybe we can make a deal! <----------
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

Fair point as to reject an entry means marking it for deletion and eventual removal from the system by an admin. However, the only way to do this is save it which really adds to the system, and then right after editing it with change of title and in most cases photo indicating as such.

Depending on the interaction/messages with original submitter you may want to limit the number of fields/images to clear to allow them to re-submit with more details. Although in practice I found it easier and faster to fix the images myself and use google to find the minimum information for required fields.
4.of.Clubs

Unread post by 4.of.Clubs »

ecNate wrote:Fair point as to reject an entry means marking it for deletion and eventual removal from the system by an admin. However, the only way to do this is save it which really adds to the system, and then right after editing it with change of title and in most cases photo indicating as such.

Depending on the interaction/messages with original submitter you may want to limit the number of fields/images to clear to allow them to re-submit with more details. Although in practice I found it easier and faster to fix the images myself and use google to find the minimum information for required fields.
I agree it's faster to fix it but then the submitter will never know to improve. For example, I've seen lots of decks added starting with "Bicycle" instead of putting "[Deck_Name] [Bicycle]". I think the latter is the correct way from what I remember? Not a big deal - point being, it'll take the load off the reviewer in the long run.
----------> Check out the decks I have for sale! <----------
----------> Also check out my Trade List and Wish List, maybe we can make a deal! <----------
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

yeah, but then general users will see it too challenging to get something approved as they have to start it over (they can't edit their original submission).

I think the best compromise is to fix minor issues and then let the submitter know it's approved and what had to be fixed so they can submit better in the future. Things like correcting a title, adding card type (poker/bridge), etc are pretty quick. Even downloading, cropping and re-uploading a bad image isn't terribly time consuming. I definitely agree notifying the user after may be a good idea though to let them know in the future.

For ones that have major problems or terrible images then defer until submitter can provide details. A reviewer can also just say 'pass' on submission if they don't have time too. They or somebody else can come back to it. That we can quickly process the quality submissions, the poor ones can wait - especially if it's a new deck, after a few days somebody else may have it and provide a better version anyhow.
Spectre
Decks Owned: 3000

Unread post by Spectre »

Maybe this has been addressed elsewhere, but I want to ask. How does one become a contributor. I'm interested, but being somewhat still a rookie here on UC, not sure I qualify for such a prestigious position.

I have been a collector since 2013 and have over 1200 unique decks in my collection. If that matters any...
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

Spectre wrote:Maybe this has been addressed elsewhere, but I want to ask. How does one become a contributor. I'm interested, but being somewhat still a rookie here on UC, not sure I qualify for such a prestigious position.

I have been a collector since 2013 and have over 1200 unique decks in my collection. If that matters any...

What matters is being able to be a responsible contributor and providing complete, accurate and quality submissions/edits. Typically this means following the guidelines (see 'Adding/Editing Decks' section). If you think you can do so, send me your P52 username and I can upgrade you.
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

There is also now a new formal guide available, and we again have a number of deck submissions that need reviewing before they can be added. This new guide will help you through the simple process located in the Learn section of the website. Look for the 'Reviewing/Approving Deck Submissions' entry at the bottom of that page. Thanks for the help and support of this community sourced and supported site!
https://www.portfolio52.com/learn_posts
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

I would be interested in being a contributor. I have added several decks and I need to add a couple more at least (Leo Deck comes first to mind), but too much other stuff to do now. I have the shoot and then edit the images. Right now it is a pain as it involves me using three different online editing programs.
wingedpotato
White Whale: Cardistry-Con Tally Ho 2018
Decks Owned: 600

Unread post by wingedpotato »

There are a ton of decks to approve, but I hesitate because most of the scans/pictures are terrible, missing, or don't meet guidelines. I don't want to discourage people, but they should be notified about why their submissions are not being approved. How should we handle this?
"I have no response to that."

https://portfolio52.com/profile/1230
robcan0630

Unread post by robcan0630 »

Maybe just send them a PM? I had someone PM me about approving updates I was making to decks to confirm a question I had about format. That would prevent people from feeling singled out in public.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

An unapproved deck should mean it's still in that person's collection (I think), but isn't available to others. For a popular deck I hope and assume somebody will post a better one and then "approve" and mark the other as a duplicate. The only other option right now is to fully reject and delete the bad submission. In the past I have notified a few people of the proper process and methods and reason why not approved, so if somebody else is able to help out I would encourage that as well.

See "How to 'scan' a quality deck image EASILY" at https://www.portfolio52.com/learn_posts