Decorative Boxes

When you want something done right, gotta do it yourself!
BlueToy

Decorative Boxes

Unread post by BlueToy »

One of my more specific hobbies is cardboard box-making. I can't seem to recall how it started, just that I was already making them in 9th grade.

One of the other things I collect are Tarot cards - not all of them since I don't have the funds for that; just the interesting or beautiful ones.

I sort of combined these two by making boxes with themes that go with specific decks. They're good as decorative carrying cases, like when you have to put your deck in your bag. I've made a number of these over the years, and some of them are playing card-sized.
Attachments
Something with a druid-Celtic thing going
Something with a druid-Celtic thing going
Playing Card box inspired by the glass works of Louis Comfort Tiffany
Playing Card box inspired by the glass works of Louis Comfort Tiffany
louis_comfort_tiffany_box_by_blue_fusion.jpg (199.83 KiB) Viewed 4474 times
Art Nouveau box
Art Nouveau box
art_nouveau_box_by_blue_fusion.jpg (129.52 KiB) Viewed 4474 times
Inspired by Italian Renaissance furnishings
Inspired by Italian Renaissance furnishings
italian_renaissance_box_by_blue_fusion.jpg (113.89 KiB) Viewed 4474 times
Eoghann
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes

Re: Decorative Boxes

Unread post by Eoghann »

Wow those are really nice! Do you take commissions? Or offer tutorials? :lol:
BlueToy

Unread post by BlueToy »

Eoghann wrote:Wow those are really nice! Do you take commissions? Or offer tutorials? :lol:
Thanks! It's a bit hard to accept commissions since - while I am willing to take them - our local postal service is one corrupt bunch and service sucks on the whole (courier is the alternative - which is pricey). I did try to make an infographuc tutorial for a basic box some years back. Will have to look for the files. I refuse to do video tutorials because my methods are embarassingly messy. :D
ecNate
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

That's pretty cool and I'm surprised how much detail and dimension you are able to include in them. The old world/vintage look I'm sure works really well with tarot decks too. I have a few decks that don't have tucks and have tried see through mylar, the new carot cases, etc. I wonder if a variation of what you do here could work for some of those, especially if I can borrow some of the artwork from the deck and incorporate it or the style into the box. Would love to learn more how you do this.
BlueToy

Unread post by BlueToy »

ecNate wrote:That's pretty cool and I'm surprised how much detail and dimension you are able to include in them. The old world/vintage look I'm sure works really well with tarot decks too. I have a few decks that don't have tucks and have tried see through mylar, the new carot cases, etc. I wonder if a variation of what you do here could work for some of those, especially if I can borrow some of the artwork from the deck and incorporate it or the style into the box. Would love to learn more how you do this.
If you can expound on what you have in mind, or maybe give some examples of the decks you're referring to, I can maybe think up a guide or something for you. I'm providing a guide for a basic guide below. One thing I'm thinking you can do, just as a start, would be to isolate some part of the deck's art, turn it into a repeating pattern, print it on paper, and then use the paper as a wrapper for the box.

I've found the guide I made for a basic box years ago (see attachment). It's basically just wrapping the box with paper. All my boxes use illustration board - you know, those boards with white fronts and black backs which illustrators use. It's relatively slim and lightweight, but stiff and rigid. One of the things to consider is to give the box's dimensions some allowance - so the cards won't get stuck. For example, for a poker deck (2.5 x 3.5 inches cards) with tuck set, a box will have a base with these dimensions: 2.75 x 3.75 x .75 inches, while the box's cover's will be 3 x 4 x 0,5 inches. I recommend that you varnish the box with some all purpose household oil varnish to toughen it up some more - but make sure to really give the varnish time to dry (maybe by putting the box under the sun for a couple of days).
Attachments
BASIC BOX GUIDE.jpg
-Ly

http://paralumanstudio.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/paralumanstudios" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.thegamecrafter.com/designers/paraluman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BlueToy

Unread post by BlueToy »

Some more boxes:

My attempt at a slipcase box. I can't seem to get the right dimensions for this design. I'm thinking this box's theme would be good for dark, Lovecraftian decks.
FOSSILSTONE SLIPCASE.jpg
FOSSILSTONE SLIPCASE.jpg (128.63 KiB) Viewed 4410 times

One of my shabbier attempts at painting. Meant to look like a Greco-Roman pillar with a removable top cover.
NOIR NEOCLASSICAL.jpg
NOIR NEOCLASSICAL.jpg (152.73 KiB) Viewed 4410 times

One of my attempts at knotwork. I kinda went over the top with the varnish wit this one.
GOLD KNOTWORK.jpg
GOLD KNOTWORK.jpg (149.52 KiB) Viewed 4410 times

A box with a folksy night theme. Seems to be popular with my friends since I've gotten requests to make this design for them.
FOLK NIGHT.jpg
FOLK NIGHT.jpg (156.76 KiB) Viewed 4410 times
-Ly

http://paralumanstudio.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/paralumanstudios" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.thegamecrafter.com/designers/paraluman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BlueToy

Unread post by BlueToy »

And some more. Left to right, top to bottom: something vaguely Celtic in theme, inspired by magic and vampire subcultures and Victorian wrought iron gates, Art deco box, a box for an Arabian Nights-themed deck, a deck inspired by Varda Elentari, and another Toliken-inspired box depicting Laurelin.
Attachments
new_boxies.jpg
new_boxies.jpg (131.18 KiB) Viewed 4410 times
-Ly

shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

Your box creations are beautiful! Love the Art Deco box! :drool: Thanks for sharing! :D
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
BlueToy

Unread post by BlueToy »

shermjack wrote:Your box creations are beautiful! Love the Art Deco box! :drool: Thanks for sharing! :D
I provided a guide for making a basic box. My secret (evil) plan is to entice you guys to try making your own. Then i'll suggest more complex boxes to make until you guys become addicted to box making as well. :twisted:
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

BlueToy wrote:
shermjack wrote:Your box creations are beautiful! Love the Art Deco box! :drool: Thanks for sharing! :D
I provided a guide for making a basic box. My secret (evil) plan is to entice you guys to try making your own. Then i'll suggest more complex boxes to make until you guys become addicted to box making as well. :twisted:
I did see the guide, nicely done! I am wondering how much time each box takes to make on average as they seem to be somewhat time consuming to make, especially with all that relief detail. Also, it seems that you have to be somewhat artistically inclined as well, thus I might not be capable of making as beautiful boxes as you have shown. :oops:

Again, thanks for sharing! :D
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations