Protective Mylar Tuck Box

When you want something done right, gotta do it yourself!
dazzleguts
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Das Kartenspiel Des Oberdeutsc
Decks Owned: 885

Protective Mylar Tuck Box

Unread post by dazzleguts »

spacerspacerspacer
DIY Protective Mylar Tuck Box

I can't afford the space and money of a fancy display shelf so my collection is in Ikea drawer units called Helmers. The decks are stacked on top of one another in the drawers and not all decks are built alike so the various sizes and materials can lead to damage.

After a discussion of plastics and storage in Johanes' show thread, and seeing someone's homemade mylar tuck on The Discourse, I thought about all those overhead transparencies no one wants anymore...
decks in boxes.jpg
decks in boxes.jpg (145 KiB) Viewed 1993 times
The materials you will need are:
1st - materials.jpg
  • A deck that needs protection.
    Some mylar sheets. I'm using overhead transparency film.
    A template such as a flattened tuck box.
    A sheet of white paper.
Tools needed:
2nd - tools.jpg
  • ruler
    fine felt pen
    mat knife or other cutting tool
    cutting mat
    bone folder, or empty ballpoint pen, or knife with rounded edges
    double sided tape and/or scotch tape
    scissors
    burnishing tool, or something long with a smooth rounded end
I chose to make a tuck for the Marshall McLuhan deck since it's a lot thicker than the first one I did and I wanted to see how sturdy a deeper mylar box would be. It turned out well.

Step one:
Tape your template to the mylar sheet. I taped mine into the corner so there would be 2 straight edges I wouldn't have to cut.
3rd - template & pen.jpg
Step two:
Trace your template onto the mylar using a fine felt pen. I used a Pigma the first time I did it and the ink wiped right off without leaving a trace. This time I used a Pilot Fineliner and the ink leaves a slight stain after it's wiped off. Not really a problem as you will see.

The ink will take longer than usual to dry since it's not on an absorbent surface. Draw all the horizontals or vertical lines and then wait for them to dry, or blot the ink with paper or your fingers. After those lines are dry you can use your ruler to draw the lines going in the other direction without messing it up. If you do mess up just use a damp cloth to wipe away the ink, dry the sheet and start again.
4th - height adjust.jpg
4th - height adjust.jpg (104.39 KiB) Viewed 1993 times
I found this template online and it was not really the right size for my chosen deck so I had to trace the parts that worked and then move the template to make the tracing longer and deeper. Since every deck I want to protect has different dimensions I chose to wing it rather than making a template every time. Remember to make your fold lines as dotted lines.
5th - width adjust.jpg
5th - width adjust.jpg (139.81 KiB) Viewed 1993 times
Including a cut back in your design, that will let the box open wider, makes these mylar boxes easier to use.
slit back.jpg
Step three:
Place the tracing, ink side down, on a white sheet of paper so you can clearly see the lines but you won't get any ink on your deck if it isn't completely dry.
6th - traced.jpg
6th - traced.jpg (84.49 KiB) Viewed 1993 times
Put your deck within the outline to make sure it will fit with a little room to spare. You don't want too tight a fit.
7th - deck fit.jpg
7th - deck fit.jpg (104.95 KiB) Viewed 1993 times
Step four:
Cut out your traced tuck. I used knife and ruler. I'm used to cutting curves with a knife but if you're not you may want to use scissors for the curves. Be careful not to cut the dotted fold lines.
8th - cut out.jpg
8th - cut out.jpg (81.88 KiB) Viewed 1993 times
I wiped the ink off after cutting out my tuck since this particular ink was leaving faint traces I could use to see the fold lines. If your ink wipes off completely you may want to leave it on until after you make the creases.
9th - wiped.jpg
9th - wiped.jpg (78.72 KiB) Viewed 1993 times
Step five:
Crease your fold lines. Do this on the inside surface of the box. I made my creases using a ruler and a bone folder, pressing the edge of the bone folder hard over the crease line several times. You can use anything that has a hard rounded edge, or an empty ballpoint pen. If you use a sharp edge you will cut and weaken the mylar and the fold line will crack. After creasing make sure all ink is wiped off.
10th - creases in light.jpg
Man that's dusty! Cleans up nice though.

Step six:
Fold all the crease lines using your fingers to carefully press toward the crease until it bends. you don't want it to crease in the wrong place because it can't be undone or fixed.

Use a smooth rounded surface to press the creases down and make them sharp. You want a 45 degree angle.
12th - folding.jpg
Step seven:
If you are using double sided tape apply the tape to your bottom and side tabs now. Leave the backing on the tape for now and cut off any bits that stick out over the egdes of the mylar.
11th - tape in place.jpg
Look at where I have applied the tape to the "outside" surfaces, meaning the surfaces that are on the same side of the mylar as the outside surfaces of the box.

Step Eight:
Peel the backing off the large bottom tab only and stick the two small tabs to it. Peel the backing off the small tabs and stick the bottom of the box to the small and large tabs, making sure it all lines up. Peel the backing off the side tab and stick it to the inside of the box side, making sure it all lines up before you press it together.
13th - glueing flaps.jpg
13th - glueing flaps.jpg (83.26 KiB) Viewed 1993 times
Step nine:
Using the bone folder, or a rounded knife handle like the one I show in the tools pic, press the taped surfaces together by sliding the tool along the surface while pressing.
14th - pressing glued flaps.jpg
14th - pressing glued flaps.jpg (79.09 KiB) Viewed 1993 times
**It should be possible to assemble the box using scotch tape instead of double sided. It might even look neater, but I don't think it will hold as long. I could be wrong there so go ahead and try it.

Your box is now done. The deck will be protected from storage wear but will remain visible.
15th - finished box.jpg
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"
Eoghann

Re: Protective Mylar Tuck Box

Unread post by Eoghann »

That is AWESOME! I've been using baseball card storage cases and it's getting harder to store the decks because they're bulky. This is perfect. Thanks! :)
dazzleguts

Thanks Eoghann :D

I thought of those baseball card cases too, and just couldn't picture them fitting in my storage. Must stack real nice though.

If you make one of these post it here, especially if you find a better way to do any of the steps. I thought maybe the double sided tape could be applied before the box is folded - it's hard to put the tape on precisely when the tuck has shape and doesn't want to go flat anymore.

Amazing that I was able to attach 17 images to this one post.
Worldwide Time Machine

Sparkz
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by Sparkz »

That's fantastic dazzleguts, really great idea and instructions. Kudos :)
charlie81dbz

Unread post by charlie81dbz »

Very cool dazz! I've made similar things for wrapping presents, but probably never would have thought to use something clear like that for decks. I'll have to look for some mylar next time I run to Hobby Lobby. Like I need an excuse to spend money there...

charlie :)
dazzleguts

Thank you Sparkz, Im honoured to have one of your 117 posts. ;)

Charlie, try thrift stores for the overhead transparencies. I got a box of 100 sheets for $2, and it's the perfect weight/thickness of plastic for this. It's also reuse of something that's going to waste.
Worldwide Time Machine

Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Just found some clear acetate at work. Might be a tad thin but I'll give it a shot. :)
dazzleguts

Some of the mylar tucks I've made over the last while:
new mylar boxes.jpg
Worldwide Time Machine

ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

I should mention if you need to create custom sized tucks these websites allow you to simply enter the dimensions and then it creates a template for you to print. The first one is probably overkill for this purpose, but it is really nice for creating tuckboxes with artwork and labeling to print on cardstock and use directly vs generating a template to use with dazzle's method. Here's a custom one I created for PnP set of cards to give you an idea how complex it can get and still be super simple - http://tuckbox.gameupdates.com/files/13 ... 345663.pdf. Of course you can just enter dimensions and roll with that for a blank box

http://tuckbox.gameupdates.com/
http://www.cpforbes.net/tuckbox/
dazzleguts

Thank you Nate!

I just used the second link since it didn't require setting up an account - it was easy to use and worked beautifully. The template even has the cut back.
Worldwide Time Machine