Idea for multiple uncut display

When you want something done right, gotta do it yourself!
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Idea for multiple uncut display

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

This is just a theoretical design, so there might be things I haven't anticipated for actually building it. Which I will probably never be able to do, since I'm much more theoretical than practical :ugthink: But let me know what you think.

Very rough MS Paint sketch below. The uncuts need to be between relatively thin sheets of plexiglass or similar, with thin frames.

A is a hollow wooden "shell" made to house the uncuts not on display. This will ideally match the walls of the room.

B (red dot) is the hinge which all the uncuts rotate on.

C is the uncut currently on display. Haven't quite figured out how best to fasten this.

D (grey square) is the uncuts not on display, housed in A. Unsure of how many could be held here, too many would mean A needs to be unaesthetically big and perhaps place too much weight on B.

E shows a removable top part of A, which will make it look more aesthetic when on and allow the uncuts to be rotated up and down when off.
Uncut display.jpg
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
shaitani
White Whale: Artistic Spring

Re: Idea for multiple uncut display

Unread post by shaitani »

MagikFingerz wrote:This is just a theoretical design, so there might be things I haven't anticipated for actually building it. Which I will probably never be able to do, since I'm much more theoretical than practical :ugthink: But let me know what you think.

Very rough MS Paint sketch below. The uncuts need to be between relatively thin sheets of plexiglass or similar, with thin frames.

A is a hollow wooden "shell" made to house the uncuts not on display. This will ideally match the walls of the room.

B (red dot) is the hinge which all the uncuts rotate on.

C is the uncut currently on display. Haven't quite figured out how best to fasten this.

D (grey square) is the uncuts not on display, housed in A. Unsure of how many could be held here, too many would mean A needs to be unaesthetically big and perhaps place too much weight on B.

E shows a removable top part of A, which will make it look more aesthetic when on and allow the uncuts to be rotated up and down when off.
Uncut display.jpg
How thick are you imagining this rotation cabinet? It seems like it'll be very big. Especially with the wasted space on the left side. Maybe you could find a way to make that left side store decks, like shelving or drawers?
montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

Not only will the cabinet be deep - but whatever catch system you use at the top will have to extend out the same distance, and the outermost frame would be suspended that far from the wall.

Further you would only be able to see one side of the sheet.

I would envision a two sided frame similar to this: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/5306000 ... ture-frame

... but where the inner edge of the frame (on all four edges and both sides) are routed to form a french cleat.

Similar to this image but instead of mounting the top cleat to the frame - the frame itself would form the top cleat:
(The bottom cleat would obviously have to be shorter than the inner edge of the short side of the frame.)

This sort of system would allow for mounting flush to the wall, and easily adaptable to show the same sheet front or back, portrait or landscape, and also make it easy to swap out for another.

How you store them is another matter ;)
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

Interesting concept, but wouldn't the pivot point B need to be more tot he left and corner of the storage vessel for them to pivot and fall into place?

Basically you are suggesting a deep shadow box frame where plexi-glass sandwiched uncut sheets could be pulled up into the frame. It might look a little odd though to have some be toward the front of the frame and some at the back, although less so if you only have 2-5 of them in there. You would also probably want a false/removable right and bottom to allow them to pivot in/out, but added back so you couldn't see through the sides of the frame. I recently created 2 built-ins, bookshelf and a display cabinet with rear access via a utility room. This could also work great here such that you could then have the uncut storage vessel located behind a wall instead, provided your layout allowed for it.

Personally I would rather just use the same concept, but instead have a frame that only holds 1 at a time and store unlimited number of uncuts out of sight. The frame could be a hinged front to allow them to be added/removed and held in place with sliding clips with the outside frame covering this portion. The actual uncuts could also have cut mat attached so that you could really use any size actual uncut and just have all the same size outside mat/plexi material. Seems like that would give you more options for number of uncuts supported and install location.

In either case though, the risk is with all the handling and storing of the uncuts inside the plexiglass there is the risk of damage to them while in storage or in transition.

My personal solution is I'm framing all of my uncuts I care about and should I run out of room I might just frame the new ones and then do a rotation of some of them manually as fully framed pieces.
shaitani
White Whale: Artistic Spring

Unread post by shaitani »

I think one other thing that's not being considered... think about the width of an uncut, and that's how high off the ground the displayed uncut will be if you're just rotating up. The only way to address this is mounting the entire cabinet up on the wall, and now the project starts becoming uncomfortably complex.

I believe the most effective idea for rotating uncuts out is just as described earlier, keep them all framed and stacked away out of view and then swap out whenever desired. An alternative is one of those poster flippers you see at physical places that sell posters.
chach
White Whale: Vietnam Era Secret Weapon
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by chach »

I've been kicking around an idea for an open tipped frame that is easily swappable like I have for some of my comics. The comic remain in their sleeves but just drop into the top of the frame. Figure the same can be done with an uncut. Just have a piece of mat board in front and behind to stabilize it and those not on display can remain stored in tubes or even just make up separate matts for each.

On the wall

Depth of frame

Top shot of frame. The comics can easily be removed & replaced as each is already in a protective sleeve

Frame and comic separate.

So yeah, if you could find or make a Mylar bag that'd be perfect. But there's no reason why you can't just have a sandwich of plexi / matboard / uncutsheet(s) / backerboard that slides in and out.
WTB/WTT: Vietnam Era Bicycle Secret Weapon Deck
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

Damn, Chach, you must have read my mind! I have actually been working on an uncut display for a while and came up with to a similar design as your comic book display (are these common?), but with acrylic panels (as you suggested). At the moment, I am actually looking for some wood frame manufacturers to see if I can have a bunch of frames made. If I do end up getting some made, I will definitely post some pics here, though it wouldn't really classify as DIY. ;)
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations