Framing/Hanging Uncut Sheets

When you want something done right, gotta do it yourself!

Re: Framing/Hanging Uncut Sheets

Unread postby TGunitedcardists » Tue May 27, 2014 12:08 am  

After reading this thread, there must be someone out there that could come up with a solution specifically for card collectors. Sounds like an opening for a successful Kickstarter project...
User avatar
TGunitedcardists
Member
Veteran
Veteran
 
Posts: 544
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 5:57 am
Country: Japan (jp)
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 128 times

Re: Framing/Hanging Uncut Sheets

Unread postby snsdmonkey » Tue May 27, 2014 9:24 am  

TGunitedcardists wrote:After reading this thread, there must be someone out there that could come up with a solution specifically for card collectors. Sounds like an opening for a successful Kickstarter project...


I assume the logistics and postage costs involved would make it a US-only KS to be viable but would happily be proven wrong :D
snsdmonkey
Member
Journeyman
Journeyman
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:57 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Framing/Hanging Uncut Sheets

Unread postby RSLancastr » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:51 pm  

I may have found an insanely simple and inexpensive way to frame my uncuts!!

They are 22"x28" (I am hoping that the 22" is wide enough - I seem to recall USPCC uncuts being something like 22 3/8" x 26 7/8"), and cost less than $8 apiece!

I have ordered two of them (a 22"x28" one and a 24" x 30" one, to try matting with).

They are double-sided, being made entirely of clear PVC.

They may require "mirror hangers" (those bracket-like things used to hang a simple mirror on a wall) to mount them on the wall.

Once they have arrived and I have tried them out, I will upload pics here (and a link to where they can be purchased).

They may end up being "too good to be true", in which case, I will STILL post here about them, to warn you all off them.

Cross your fingers!
-Marcel Marceau
User avatar
RSLancastr
Member
Grandmaster
Grandmaster
 
Posts: 1586
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:53 am
Location: Salem, Oregon
Country: United States (us)
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Framing/Hanging Uncut Sheets

Unread postby Gruul » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:10 pm  

RSLancastr wrote:I may have found an insanely simple and inexpensive way to frame my uncuts!!

They are 22"x28" (I am hoping that the 22" is wide enough - I seem to recall USPCC uncuts being something like 22 3/8" x 26 7/8"), and cost less than $8 apiece!

I have ordered two of them (a 22"x28" one and a 24" x 30" one, to try matting with).

They are double-sided, being made entirely of clear PVC.

They may require "mirror hangers" (those bracket-like things used to hang a simple mirror on a wall) to mount them on the wall.

Once they have arrived and I have tried them out, I will upload pics here (and a link to where they can be purchased).

They may end up being "too good to be true", in which case, I will STILL post here about them, to warn you all off them.

Cross your fingers!


Did this come through? I have been looking for better frames. I currently get poster frames from "Michael's" craft store for my uncuts. They do the job, but, I don't care for them. One sided, flimsy, and pretty expensive when looking at 20 uncuts and counting.
User avatar
Gruul
Member
Apprentice
Apprentice
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:11 am
Location: Rancho Cordova California
Country: United States (us)
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Framing/Hanging Uncut Sheets

Unread postby RSLancastr » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:39 pm  

Gruul wrote:Did this come through? I have been looking for better frames. I currently get poster frames from "Michael's" craft store for my uncuts. They do the job, but, I don't care for them. One sided, flimsy, and pretty expensive when looking at 20 uncuts and counting.


Yes and no. Still working on it.
-Marcel Marceau
User avatar
RSLancastr
Member
Grandmaster
Grandmaster
 
Posts: 1586
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:53 am
Location: Salem, Oregon
Country: United States (us)
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Framing/Hanging Uncut Sheets

Unread postby Gruul » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:51 pm  

RSLancastr wrote:
Gruul wrote:Did this come through? I have been looking for better frames. I currently get poster frames from "Michael's" craft store for my uncuts. They do the job, but, I don't care for them. One sided, flimsy, and pretty expensive when looking at 20 uncuts and counting.


Yes and no. Still working on it.



I am guessing that this project is not being nice to you?
User avatar
Gruul
Member
Apprentice
Apprentice
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:11 am
Location: Rancho Cordova California
Country: United States (us)
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Framing/Hanging Uncut Sheets

Unread postby RSLancastr » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:00 am  

Gruul wrote:
RSLancastr wrote:
Gruul wrote:Did this come through? I have been looking for better frames. I currently get poster frames from "Michael's" craft store for my uncuts. They do the job, but, I don't care for them. One sided, flimsy, and pretty expensive when looking at 20 uncuts and counting.


Yes and no. Still working on it.



I am guessing that this project is not being nice to you?


Well, it's certainly taking more time than I'd anticipated. However, if I work out the kinks and present it here, all of you can avoid some of the pitfalls I've experienced in this.
-Marcel Marceau
User avatar
RSLancastr
Member
Grandmaster
Grandmaster
 
Posts: 1586
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:53 am
Location: Salem, Oregon
Country: United States (us)
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Framing/Hanging Uncut Sheets

Unread postby StanKindLee » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:29 am  

I laminated the uncut sheet before sandwiching it in the frame.

uncutframe1.jpg

uncutframe2.jpg
-- $tanley
Flame Fractal deck - http://freakiebeat.com/index.php/flame- ... -in-spades...
Animation of the Flame Fractal deck - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9Kq0BA8w9w......
User avatar
StanKindLee
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Sentinel
Sentinel
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:53 am
Country: United States (us)
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: Framing/Hanging Uncut Sheets

Unread postby Gruul » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:51 pm  

That looks great! Personally, I don't want to take a chance on laminating my uncuts though. I feel like I would not be able to remove the laminate safely in the future. Currently I am using poster frames from Michael's, but those are one sided of course. I looked into getting sheets of clear polysterine to sandwich them in, but, I couldn't find them inexpensively. I still have hope for RSlancastr to pull through!
User avatar
Gruul
Member
Apprentice
Apprentice
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:11 am
Location: Rancho Cordova California
Country: United States (us)
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Framing/Hanging Uncut Sheets

Unread postby StanKindLee » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:08 pm  

Yeah - the lamination is two sided and quite permanent... fortunately I had more than one of these, so I could experiment some. I would like to do the same thing with another uncut except sandwich it between two pieces of non-glare glass, and then build the frame around the glass.
-- $tanley
Flame Fractal deck - http://freakiebeat.com/index.php/flame- ... -in-spades...
Animation of the Flame Fractal deck - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9Kq0BA8w9w......
User avatar
StanKindLee
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Sentinel
Sentinel
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:53 am
Country: United States (us)
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: Framing/Hanging Uncut Sheets

Unread postby Marcus » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:06 pm  

Step 1: Measure your poster's/sheet's width.

Step 2: Purchase nano suction tape, neodymium magnets, a few metallic plates and a two pieces of wood of your liking that measures the width of your poster/sheet.

Step 3: Drill a few holes into the wooden planks large and deep enough to fit the magnets.

Step 4: Glue the magnets to the planks (didn't expect this step, did ya?)

Step 5: Stick the nano suction tape to the metallic plates, measure the length of your poster/sheet and stick the plates to your wall.

Step 6: Adjust the plates a bit, you messed it up the first time.

Step 7: Hold the poster/sheet with its top and bottom lined up with the plates, and place the planks on top of it to keep it in place.

Step 8: Grab something refreshing to drink. You deserve it, lad!



Perhaps not perfect for everyone, but it's an easy and purrrty solution that doesn't leave any holes in your wall if you want to change it, and you can easily flip an uncut sheet if you want to display the other side for a while.

(I should perhaps mention that you do this at your own risk, don't hold me responsible. I can't even fathom a way to mess this up but I don't trust you guys! :D )
User avatar
Marcus
✔ VERIFIED Seller
Sentinel
Sentinel
 
Posts: 393
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:49 pm
Has thanked: 133 times
Been thanked: 149 times

Re: Framing/Hanging Uncut Sheets

Unread postby Mike Ratledge » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:06 pm  

Marcus wrote:Step 1: Measure your poster's/sheet's width.

Step 2: Purchase nano suction tape, neodymium magnets, a few metallic plates and a two pieces of wood of your liking that measures the width of your poster/sheet.

Step 3: Drill a few holes into the wooden planks large and deep enough to fit the magnets.

Step 4: Glue the magnets to the planks (didn't expect this step, did ya?)

Step 5: Stick the nano suction tape to the metallic plates, measure the length of your poster/sheet and stick the plates to your wall.

Step 6: Adjust the plates a bit, you messed it up the first time.

Step 7: Hold the poster/sheet with its top and bottom lined up with the plates, and place the planks on top of it to keep it in place.

Step 8: Grab something refreshing to drink. You deserve it, lad!

You know, that sounds so do-able, Marcus! I've got one of those double-sided hanging frames from FrameUSA, but not got around to cutting the plexiglass for two sides and mats for each as well. I have been a little busy... Time to relax a bit, maybe I'll figure out which one deserves it? Maybe Lance's old original Activator Artists's Edition? Signed? Check - with a single digit number. hmmm...
>Mike<

"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
Moderating in moderation...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!


Dondorf "Hundertjahrkarte" (1933)
restoration sets still available:
Late Backers Link
Decks produced & gilded by
Cartamundi, Restoration by Lotrek


UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access


UC2018 decks by Rick Davidson
"De Novo" - details coming soon!


>>> UC Deck Sales <<<



Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
User avatar
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Card Oracle
Card Oracle
 
Posts: 5111
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:25 pm
Location: Awendaw/McClellanville (Charleston county) S.C.
Country: Denmark (dk)
Has thanked: 1654 times
Been thanked: 480 times

Re: Framing/Hanging Uncut Sheets

Unread postby Marcus » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:55 am  

It is pretty simple as long as you have the time and the material. Many neodymium magnets even have holes in them so you can just keep them in place with a tiny screw instead of glue if so desired. And with the nano suction tape you can move them around without leaving holes everywhere, so you can mix things up.

Of course there's no need to do it like I wrote with a top and bottom frame, you can do the sides or just the corners or however you please.
User avatar
Marcus
✔ VERIFIED Seller
Sentinel
Sentinel
 
Posts: 393
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:49 pm
Has thanked: 133 times
Been thanked: 149 times

Re: Framing/Hanging Uncut Sheets

Unread postby Tscharger » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:58 pm  

I had a thought on the subject does anyone remember how they used to hang news papers on those long rods at the library? Could you put the uncuts in the sleeve then clamp the top of the sleeve between two pieces of wood extend the ends long enough to hang on a rack? It would be a good way to store multiple uncuts in a small space and allow you to rotate your stock and reverse them if you wanted.
facebook.com/groups/collectingplayingcards
User avatar
Tscharger
Deck Artist
Novice
Novice
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:09 pm
Location: Savannah, Georgia
Country: United States (us)
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Framing/Hanging Uncut Sheets

Unread postby Eoghann » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:41 pm  

Like this?

Image
User avatar
Eoghann
Moderator
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
 
Posts: 3467
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:47 am
Has thanked: 153 times
Been thanked: 430 times

Re: Framing/Hanging Uncut Sheets

Unread postby RSLancastr » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:46 pm  

Tscharger wrote:I had a thought on the subject does anyone remember how they used to hang news papers on those long rods at the library? Could you put the uncuts in the sleeve then clamp the top of the sleeve between two pieces of wood extend the ends long enough to hang on a rack? It would be a good way to store multiple uncuts in a small space and allow you to rotate your stock and reverse them if you wanted.


I had the same thought a while back, but concluded that uncuts are too thick to work well with the newspaper hangers, and would most likely end up with permanent creases from the hangers.

However, that idea led me to another, and I have found what I believe is a workable and relatively-inexpensive way to hang uncuts that is attractive and protective of the uncut.

I will post pics of it when I am able.

Eoghann wrote:Like this?


Someone had suggested something like this towards the top of this thread!

What size are they, and how much does the whole thing cost?
-Marcel Marceau
User avatar
RSLancastr
Member
Grandmaster
Grandmaster
 
Posts: 1586
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:53 am
Location: Salem, Oregon
Country: United States (us)
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Framing/Hanging Uncut Sheets

Unread postby ecNate » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:21 pm  

Sorry for the cross post and digging up an old thread, but in case this helps somebody else in 6-60 months - I just completed framing most of my uncuts and have tips and sizes here:
https://unitedcardists.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=4961&p=46622#p121974
User avatar
ecNate
Member
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
 
Posts: 2023
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:46 am
Location: Wisconsin
Country: United States (us)
Has thanked: 392 times
Been thanked: 398 times

Previous

Return to DIY Board

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest