[JuFiN] My collection.

Members are welcome and encouraged to "Show Their Cards" here. Don't be bashful!
Forum Notice

1. Make a new thread. Be sure to put your username in square brackets [] at the beginning of the title.

2. Write a small (or big, if you want) introduction about you, your collection and your collecting habits.

3. Post as many pictures of your decks as you want in your thread, with or without descriptions.
    (But please refrain from posting pictures of your collection in someone else's thread.)

4. Have fun with it, be creative, and check out other users' threads as well :)

[JuFiN] My collection.

Unread postby JuFiN » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:42 pm  

I have been collecting cards for many years but have only really taken it seriously the last 6 months or so. My collection started out with mostly souvenir decks from my travels and a handful of bicycles to play with. Because of the way the bicycles stood out in quality compared to the average souvenir deck, I am a huge fan of bicycle decks in general. Now that I have started taking collecting more seriously and started picking up some of the newer decks from ellusionist, theory 11 and various other creators on kickstarter I feel a need to share this collection with people who might really appreciate it. I think ill share three decks per post, one older "antique" deck (many of which I find going to estate sales, a new hobby of mine), one newer deck that im sure you will all have heard of, and one misc deck that maybe you guys havent heard of, or is a cool brand / souvenir deck or maybe a deck that isnt standard playing cards at all, we will see.

I will start with an antique. One of my most cherished decks, an old Belgian deck from the Stella Artois beer company. My grandfather worked for Stella and just last christmas my grandmother actually gave me this deck. It has standard Belgian faces (Jack = V Queen = D King = R Ace = 1) and is quite old. Im not sure how old exactly as im not aware of any way to date cards other than tax stamps and USPCC ace of spades codes and this has neither.

"Stella Artois" Whist by Stella Artois. Printer unknown

WHIST a popular Belgian trick taking game somewhat similar to Bridge.

Box flap is broken off, opens from the side.

The cards are closer to Bridge size than standard Poker.

My second deck will be the miscellaneous deck of the day. I found this deck in a "hip" clothing store in Brooklyn NY. All the faces are custom as well as all the aces and it has some cool extra cards. I havent seen it anywhere on these forums so maybe it will be new to you guys!

"Quality Playing Cards" by Misc Goods Co. Printed by USPCC

Full Foil Tuck

"Cheaters Beware"

And finally I have a deck released by Theory 11 that im sure wont be new to most of you. I havent seen it mentioned in the forums at all and I think it deserves some time in the spotlight because its one of my favorite new decks. Grabbed it in Barnes and Nobles just last week (They seem to be selling a lot of Theory 11 decks now). The custom faces are some of my favorite ever and I think they are very well done.

"Animal Kingdom" by Hatch Design, Printed by USPCC.

Printed interior to the box

The pips are non symetrical and a bit "wobbly" adding to the fun carefree feel of the deck as a whole. Each suit represents a different ecosystem as shown by the face cards, Grasslands, Jungle, Arctic and Swamp.

Thats all for today thanks for checking it out! Any feed back on my collection or how I am presenting the cards is much appreciated!

Cheers!
JuFiN
Sentinel
Sentinel

Re: [JuFiN] My collection.

Unread postby 4.of.Clubs » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:13 pm  

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

----------> Check out the decks I have for sale! <----------

----------> Also check out my Trade List and Wish List, maybe we can make a deal! <----------
4.of.Clubs
Veteran
Veteran

Unread postby Jock1971 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:56 pm  

Nice start to your thread :D
the mixture of old and modern decks gets a thumbs up from me as i enjoy both.
Has the Stella Artois deck have any jokers? may be able to pin point a maker from them (The indices and suit symbols look like Carta Mundi but can`t be 100% sure).
Thanks for sharing and i hope to see more of your collection
Jock1971
Master
Master

Unread postby shermjack » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:33 pm  

Nice decks JufIN! The Stella deck is stellar! :ugdance: Look forward to seeing more of your decks! :D
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
shermjack
Ace
Ace

Unread postby JuFiN » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:45 pm  

Hello again! Thanks for the awesome feedback.

I did some googling on the stella deck and it seems to be from 1940-1960. Although it has no jokers my guess would be cartamundi as well because thats the company that prints most decks I have used in belgium :shock: .

Anyway ima jump right in to the next installment of my collection!

I will start out with a modern deck that I picked up from the ellusionist summer sale. Its a great deck that I had been eyeing for a long time so when it went on sale I had to get it.

"Sultan Republic Treasury" by Ellusionist.

Has a little bit of really well placed embossing on the tuck.

I really like the back design on these, also note the interior of the tuck map, a very cool touch!

Finally, the best part for me are the custom red pips!

Now with that deck that you all probably already know out of the way, let me show you something new!

For my "misc" deck of the day I have a cool Italian deck. This is a deck I came across in a paper store called "Signum" in Firenze. I think they printed/cut it themselves as the stock is unlike anything I have seen.

"Varie Figvre Gorbi di lacopo Callot" by Signum, Printed by Signum.

The "tuck" is simply a piece of thick black paper wrapped around the deck and tied on with a string.

The Cards were much thicker than any I have seen. (This is next to the Sultan deck)

The back image is printed on sideways and is one way, which is a bit annoying from an actual usability standpoint. it is a very humorous and well drawn image though.

Finally, the card faces are also printed on sideways, it has 13 different images that repeat on all the suits.

Overall I love the "homemade" feel of the deck, as well as the art style. But the sideways printing makes the deck pretty unusable.

Finally I have a really cool antique!

This deck I found in an estate sale of a WW2 Veteran. It dates from Dec 6, 1943 and I believe was given to soldiers to use in there down time during the war. Half of the tuck is very darkened from age as you will see.

"Mohawk" by Mohawk Printed by The NY Consolidated Card CO.

Darkened half of the tuck reads "Gift of the American Red Cross. NOT TO BE SOLD"

It reads "The NY Consolidated Card CO." along the bottom of the tuck.

The cards are in great condition, although they are a bit stiff and do stick when trying to handle. But I don't intend to ever use my antique decks for play or handling anyway.

Includes a full deck with both jokers! Obviously pretty standard faces. Also get to see the other side of the tuck here which reads, "For Use of U.S. Government Permit No. 1 Dec. 6, 1943"

Thats certainly one of my best estate sale finds and I got it for just 50 cents! :lol:

Anyway, thats all for now! Ill be away all next week so its going to be a while for the next update, but don't worry more cool decks still to come!

Cheers!
JuFiN
Sentinel
Sentinel

Unread postby Jock1971 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:20 am  

Very cool cards :D
Jock1971
Master
Master

Unread postby ecNate » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:33 am  

That Signum one is pretty sweet!
ecNate
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Unread postby JuFiN » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:19 am  

Hello again! been a while since my last post, but I think I got a fun one this time.

Rather than post another three decks, I want to show you guys some ways of displaying my cards that I set up this week.

The first display I set up is just a long narrow piece of wood I found on the street. I wasnt sure how to go about attaching it to the wall so I used some duct tape with tacs through it to hold it up over my closet door.

As for the actual decks, the "theme" of this row of cards was pairs / sets of cards (red + blue mostly)

I liked the idea for that display although the duct tape was a little ghetto. While keeping my eyes open for more things to use to display I came across a whole pile of large cardboard tubes on the street. (they were used to transport long light bulbs for the store being renovated across the street).

Using these tubes I set up a bunch more "display shelves"

First a bunch of Bicycles in different colors / charity decks / alternate backs.

More Bicycle branded decks in order somewhat by color of the tuck. Sorry about the glare in this picture.

Two more here. Top one is more USPCC (mostly) non-Bicycle Brand decks. Bottom one is a series of shows, comics, brands etc. With various printers.

A semi random collection of non Bicycle decks. Some Cartimundi some Piatnik, Mavericks, Hoyle and more brands/souvenir decks.

Thats all the "shelves" so far (not for lack of decks to fill them...) but I plan to put up atleast one more although Ill have to find more things to put them on.

With that I get to my final display. This is a display case I bought at a local art supply store for around $30. I filled it with some of my favorite / most valuable decks (and a bunch of random mini decks to fill the extra space at the top. The display is 16"x20" and I got the idea from this Thread but I kinda skipped the step where I add shelves to it, hence the extra space at the top for mini decks.

That just about all for today! Hope you liked my budget displays :lol: .
How do you guys store/display your decks? I've got many more decks to display so I'm always curious about more options!

Thanks for looking.
JuFiN
Sentinel
Sentinel

Unread postby Jock1971 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:06 am  

Woah :o your very brave ...those cardboard tubes look bendy ...how did you attach them to the wall ?
Jock1971
Master
Master

Return to Show Us Your Cards!