[tabx] Collection

Members are welcome and encouraged to "Show Their Cards" here. Don't be bashful!
Forum rules
  1. Make a new thread. Be sure to put your username in square brackets [] at the beginning of the title.

2. Write a small (or big, if you want) introduction about you, your collection and your collecting habits.

3. Post as many pictures of your decks as you want in your thread, with or without descriptions.
    (But please refrain from posting pictures of your collection in someone else's thread.)

4. Have fun with it, be creative, and check out other users' threads as well :)

tabx

[tabx] Collection

Unread post by tabx »

Someone gave me these cards when I was about 10. At first I wondered why they looked really rugged and why someone would bother printing something so messy, but then it was explained to me that they were a copy of really old cards. After that I loved them, and was fascinated by them, and became interested in cards.
JaquesVievil01.jpg
JaquesVievil01.jpg (402.13 KiB) Viewed 1967 times
JaquesVievil02.jpg
JaquesVievil03.jpg
tabx

Re: [tabx] Collection

Unread post by tabx »

Everyone in Australia uses Queens Slipper cards. They are made in Australia and sold at supermarkets, newsagencies and department stores (red and blue backs, international style court cards). My parents and grandparents had a few double sets of cards with pretty pictures on the back, but there was very little variety in what I saw. I was given a few other decks over the years because my family knew I was interested in cards.

Tom Samek, the artist for these Port Arthur cards, doesn't seem to think women were part of Port Arthur's history (although there is one empty corset).
PortArthur01.jpg
PortArthur02.jpg
Boags Beer
Boags.jpg
An old Canasta set from one of my grandparents
Canasta.jpg
tabx

Unread post by tabx »

Someone also handed me down three identical decks with no brand name or copyright on them. Does anyone recognise these cards?
3decks.jpg
Strangely I couldn't find any normal Queens Slipper decks around the house, but I have some Queens Slipper 500 cards (I've always loved the 11s, 12s, and red 13s) and Queens Slipper Poker cards.
QSPoker500.jpg
QSPoker500.jpg (213.39 KiB) Viewed 1961 times
Plus some trashy souvenier Australian Map cards and some decks of "Royal" brand plastic cards from the $2 shop
Aus.jpg
Royal.jpg
Royal.jpg (99.52 KiB) Viewed 1961 times
tabx

Unread post by tabx »

Here are some more cheap and nasties from the $2 shop, although these are fun because there are different pictures on each card (the kids love them)
Barbie.jpg
Barbie.jpg (156.01 KiB) Viewed 1961 times
And here are my recent purchases, since I discovered all the amazing decks that are available!
Recent.jpg
BicyclePurple.jpg
BicyclePurple.jpg (147.92 KiB) Viewed 1961 times
Jock1971
Collector: Yes

Unread post by Jock1971 »

Hi tabx :D
Great Cards... Thanks for showing us :D :D
The grimaud deck from 1977( 1st Post) is very interesting , 17th century French cards with spanish suits and mounted valets...mmm will keep my eye out for that one :drool:

I also have a hudson canasta set but mine is not in its original packaging , so seeing the box is kinda cool thanks :D
The Mystery pack from the 3rd post is a Australian pack from Reed Paper products
http://www.wopc.co.uk/australia/reed-pa ... -packaging

The last post with your recent buys is very cool... Arch Angels and the Butterfly deck are two of my all-time favorite decks :drool: :drool:

Again thanks for showing your cards, i hope to see more from you 8-)
-jase-
tabx

Unread post by tabx »

Thanks for that, I assumed they were Australian, but couldn't work out what brand. The Ace of Spades looked very familiar, of course.

I just Googled the Jaques Vievil deck. In the past I've found lots of references to the Vieville Tarot circa 1650, but none for this deck. Today I found it for sale on ebay.fr for 100 Euros. http://www.ebay.fr/itm/221932963876" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or 35 Euros http://www.spielkartenonline-shop.de/en ... 14223.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, or 4 pounds http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jev-De-Cartes-J ... B0080QJC9Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I really like the Butterfly deck, although I find the linen finish strange as I've never had cards like that before (seems to be a pretty standard Bicycle/USA thing). I particularly like decks with custom court cards, it seems like such a wasted opportunity when people design beautiful deck backs, jokers and aces, but leave the standard international K, Q and J.
Doc Simmi
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes

Unread post by Doc Simmi »

Hi tabx!

Nice collection!
I especially like the "old ones"!

Simmi