[Chuqii] KEM collection and lots of antique and vintage decks from all over

Members are welcome and encouraged to "Show Their Cards" here. Don't be bashful!
Forum rules
  1. Make a new thread. Be sure to put your username in square brackets [] at the beginning of the title.

2. Write a small (or big, if you want) introduction about you, your collection and your collecting habits.

3. Post as many pictures of your decks as you want in your thread, with or without descriptions.
    (But please refrain from posting pictures of your collection in someone else's thread.)

4. Have fun with it, be creative, and check out other users' threads as well :)

Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Re: [Chuqii] KEM collection and more (now with antiques) (wa

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Chuqii wrote:When I get a chance to scan more of the court cards, I'll get some of these posted to the time machine.
True, I agree. Chuqui, I finally put my hands on the oldest KEM decks pair (the one in a double Neillite box) and it sis a FAWN back, as I rememberef. One thing though - instead of the cold r disc, mine is all silver reflective. I will post a pix shortly.
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
Chuqii

Re: [Chuqii] KEM collection and more (now with antiques)

Unread post by Chuqii »

And a few more antique deck sets, two from National Card Co., Columbia Whist and Apollo(Music, Panel, and Clover back designs) and my first De la Rue deck which has interesting indices. Enjoy.

National Card Co - Whist.JPG
National Card Co - Apollo.JPG
De La Rue.JPG
Check out my decks for sale on eBay. Contact me directly if you see something you like. - Clay
https://www.ebay.com/sch/clahobo/m.htm ... =&_from="
Jock1971

Unread post by Jock1971 »

Chuqii wrote: my first De la Rue deck which has interesting indices. Enjoy.
Very cool. is this your first British Deck ?....you better watch out you`ll be getting a Waddingtons deck next :lol:

A Little info. The court cards are the D.6 variant ,these were introduced by De La Rue in 1870 and ran till 1915 this variant was the first to have all the courts turned.
The indexes are known as "Dexter" indexes and was introduced in 1878 but did not prove popular with the public so was discontinued around 1882-1883. There are at least three different variations of the dexter indexes, the differences are the aces can have either "Ace" or "1", the jacks can have either "J" or "Kn" and there are different pip arrangements for the lower number cards (e.g your 3 has the pips running vertical ,where some variants has the pips running diagonal from corner to corner)
Hope that little bit helps
Chuqii

Unread post by Chuqii »

Ah, but I already have a Waddingtons deck, but that's just because I have a penchant for 5 suit bridge decks. II was surprised that the Crowns suit used completely different courts than the other 4 suits. Really just seemed tacked on. So far I've been able to stop at that one deck .....

And thanks for all of the great info on the De La Rue deck.

Updated 5/11 - Turns out I have two Waddingtons, I also have a Cir-Q-Lar deck. Here are photos of both my Waddingtons
Waddintons 5 suit bridge.JPG
Waddintons Cir-Q-Lar.JPG
Check out my decks for sale on eBay. Contact me directly if you see something you like. - Clay
dazzleguts
White Whale: Das Kartenspiel Des Oberdeutsc
Decks Owned: 885

Unread post by dazzleguts »

Cool that the date can be narrowed down so much, thanks to our expert Jase. :ugking:
I'm glad you've widened the field of your collecting Chuqii. It's great seeing these fine old decks here, and feeling the vicarious thrill of their discovery.
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"
Chuqii

Unread post by Chuqii »

And now back to my KEMs. It took me a long time to track down these decks that were designed by Raymond Loewy, "the father of industrial design." KEM only made these particular decks for about 2 years starting in 1939. Raymond Lowey was a big deal, star designer at that time. from Wikipedia:

Raymond Loewy was a French-born American industrial designer who achieved fame for the magnitude of his design efforts across a variety of industries. He was recognized for this by Time magazine and featured on its cover on October 31, 1949.[3]

He spent most of his professional career in the United States, becoming a naturalized citizen in 1938. Among his designs were the Shell, Exxon, TWA and the former BP logos, the Greyhound Scenicruiser bus, Coca-Cola vending machines, the Lucky Strike package, Coldspot refrigerators, the Studebaker Avanti and Champion, and the Air Force One livery. He was involved with numerous railroad designs, including the Pennsylvania Railroad GG1 and S-1 locomotives, the color scheme and Eagle motif for the first streamliners of the Missouri Pacific Railroad and a number of lesser known color scheme and car interior designs for other railroads. His career spanned seven decades.

The press referred to Raymond Loewy as The Man Who Shaped America, The Father of Streamlining and The Father of Industrial Design.

The print image is from a 1940 catalog.
Loewy decks and ad.jpg
Chuqii

Unread post by Chuqii »

Just a quick group shot of some mostly lower end or generic type decks from around 1920s to 1940s. These never get any love, so here they are
1920 - 1940 various sm.jpg
Bruno
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Bruno »

They're lucky to live in that neat dresser drawer Chuqii !
O, I beg of you your comprehensions,
yet laugh at your contempts ....
my only competition is with myselves.

But Lèse-majesté, especially >Normans, natch.

Is jarnstill the Ars of the Hors Nebulous ?
Neigh .... the Effluxor of the Omniverse ??
dazzleguts
White Whale: Das Kartenspiel Des Oberdeutsc
Decks Owned: 885

Unread post by dazzleguts »

I would love to see the Discus cards Chuqii. There were some good backs for those, and they make a nice spread with all those repeating suit signs around the edges of the faces.
I wonder, is it possible to fan round cards?

Some interesting boxes there. I've bought some decks based on the boxes, only to find the cards themselves boring.
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"
Chuqii

Unread post by Chuqii »

Ask, and ye shall receive. Here's the Discus deck with more detail. I'm not much of a fanner, even for regular cards, so here's a mini-fan of these round cards. A fan with the card backs was no good since the cards can all be rotated differently, so just a mess. If anybody else wants a closer look at a deck or a box, just let me know.
Discus - Arrow PCC.JPG
Chuqii

Unread post by Chuqii »

It's been awhile, so time to post some of my newest acquisitions. First up is an early 1890s Bicycle Lotus back deck, and then an 1895 Lotus back deck. I had read somewhere that USPC changed the court card designs around this time, and you can really see the differences. Definite improvement, in my opinion.
c1891 Lotus back.JPG
1985 Lotus back.JPG
And some Dougherty Jewel No. 95 decks. These are a little smaller than bridge decks, but not nearly as small as Cadet or Fauntleroy decks.
Jewel 95 decks.JPG
Chuqii

Unread post by Chuqii »

Here are a couple of decks featuring animal backs - a USPCC Sportsman's deck (with the bird - Pheasant back) and a National Card Co. Crescent deck (c.1890) with the mean looking cat in a bow-tie

USPCC Sportsman's.JPG
National Card Co Crescent.JPG
Chuqii

Unread post by Chuqii »

A few more new additions. First, A Pullman deck made by USPCC c1900. One of my favorite back designs, and I was finally able to find a poker size deck in awesome condition.
Pullman USPCC c1900.JPG
and a couple of Perfection Playing Card Co. decks c1890 in very nice shape
Perfection PCC red scroll c1890.JPG
Pefection PCC blue scroll c1890.JPG
Chuqii

Unread post by Chuqii »

So this is an interesting KEM deck. It has the 2nd ever KEM ace of spades, KEM Playing Cards, Inc. (c1936), but the Thrilling Stoty of KEM Cards booklet has KEM Cards Sales Corp. on the back side, so that would put it c1937. Maybe cards made prior to company change. More intriguing, this is my second KEM deck from around this time with a Brown & Bigelow tax stamp. Other deck is in page 2 of this thread. So now I'm wondering if all the early KEM decks were made by B & b and when did KEM Cards get its own tax stamp?
KPCI Gamecock c1936-7.jpg
Chuqii

Unread post by Chuqii »

And back to the pre-1900s. Here's an old Cadets decks with the side opening tuck c.1895. Cadets were one of USPCC's small decks (1 5/8" x 2 1/4'). Nice plaid design.
Cadets - box and cards.jpg
Cadets box.jpg
Chuqii

Unread post by Chuqii »

And the USPC No. 888 Mystic Playing Cards - Shriner Series - nice gold accents on the back - c1898
USPC No888 Mystic - Shriner.jpg
Chuqii

Unread post by Chuqii »

Here is a neat little set of Chukker playing cards from USPCC from the 1930s based on the tax stamps. Fun box and design. Chukker refers to the time periods in polo.
IMG_6855.JPG
Chuqii

Unread post by Chuqii »

A quickie for the weekend. This is about the only Brown & Bigelow back that I've ever liked, so might as well share.
Brown and Bigelow - Archer.JPG
Chuqii

Unread post by Chuqii »

New additions. First, a USPC Treasury deck in a slipcase with GAR Encampment, Sept 1898 Cincinnati, so I'm thinking from around 1898. The "Grand Army of the Republic" (GAR) was a fraternal organization composed of veterans of the Union Army (United States Army), Union Navy (U.S. Navy), Marines and the U.S. Revenue Cutter Service who served in the American Civil War for the Northern/Federal forces (Thanks wikipedia!)
USPC Treasury 1898.JPG
Second, a neat Columbia deck with a frog and spider back from National Card Co., c 1895
National Columbia c1895.JPG
Chuqii

Unread post by Chuqii »

Here are some really neat decks that I picked up. First off are three sets of the Poker Taurino playing cards made in Mexico. The red and blue each have the same back deasign. Each card has a different scene, so I tried to show a bunch of them. I really like the big pip on the courts and aces.
Poker Taurino - Red.jpg
Poker Taurino - Blue.jpg
Poker Taurino - Uruguay.jpg
And a reproduction Civil War Illuminated deck since I don't think I'll ever have an original. Enjoy!
Civil War Illuminated - repro deck.jpg
Chuqii

Unread post by Chuqii »

Here's one I would guess most people haven't seen before - Russell Blue Ribbon Koh-I-Noor back.
Blue Ribbon Whist - Koh-I-Noor c1912.jpg
Blue Ribbon Whist - Koh-I-Noor box.jpg
Blue Ribbon with Kalamazoo back.JPG
Check out the slight differences in the courts. From what I read in Hochmann, I think the whist deck was first in 1912 and then wide decks started around 1916. Maybe that's when they changed the courts.
Chuqii

Unread post by Chuqii »

Here are my only two Pyramid Playing Card Co. (Brooklyn, NY - 1920s) decks - one Home Run and one Peter Pan. The Peter Pan is bridge size and has different courts. Looks like they weren't too concerned about coloring inside the lines. Enjoy.
Pyramid Playng Card Co. - Home Run.JPG
Pyramid Playing Card Co. - Peter Pan.JPG
And one more, a Pyramid Iris deck with better coloring and courts like the Home Run deck.
Pyramid PCC Iris.JPG
Chuqii

Unread post by Chuqii »

Here's a cool early Torpedo box (1924-1929 based on tax stamp). Cards are Russell PCC, but I don't know if they are the original cards with the box or not. Anyway, I really love that box. At first I thought it was a seagull on the joker, but I haven't seen many seagulls hunting other birds. Anyone what kind of bird this is? {UPDATE} from Playing Card Forum, this is a HAWK and here is a picture of the Kalamazoo Playing Card Co. Hawk brand with same image. Kalamazoo bought Willis W Russell and formed Russell Playing Card Co around 1912.
Torpedo Hawk small.jpg
Kalamazoo Hawk brand.png
Kalamazoo Hawk brand.png (240.86 KiB) Viewed 12756 times
Also, here's another Russell PCC deck with the same back but different ace and joker from around the same time or even earlier given the Blue Ribbon whist ad card (see above for a Blue Ribbon whist deck). No box though.
IMG_7189.JPG
I had to get the Pinochle box, too, with the deck back usually associated with Torpedo brand (though the deck in the box is a mish-mash).
Torpedo pinochle early.jpg
Early on, mines were referred to as torpedoes. Only later did torpedo begin to refer exclusively to powered weapons in the water.
Chuqii

Unread post by Chuqii »

It is getting harder and harder for me to find KEMs to add to my collection, but I recently snagged this set of 1935 KEM Club decks with the original ace and in the original red and blue colors.
1935 KEM Club Red and Blue.jpg
And here is a KEM Plumes deck from 1939 with the really rare Aces of Diamonds and Clubs with KEM Playing Cards and company name printed on them. I've only seen this a few times, and only in decks from around this time frame.
KEM Plumes C89.JPG
Bruno
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Bruno »

Heya Chuqii,
Your bird may be a Chickenhawk ?
Or not ....
O, I beg of you your comprehensions,
yet laugh at your contempts ....
my only competition is with myselves.

But Lèse-majesté, especially >Normans, natch.

Is jarnstill the Ars of the Hors Nebulous ?
Neigh .... the Effluxor of the Omniverse ??
Chuqii

Unread post by Chuqii »

For everybody who has the Mauger Centennial reproductions, here's your great-great-great-great uncle, c1876. Has no indices, a little different Ace of Spades with the angled spade pips. The Ace - 9 of each suit shows a lot more wear than the 2-8. You can see the difference in the card backs. My new favorite deck.
Mauger Centennial deck no indices.jpg
Chuqii

Unread post by Chuqii »

Here's another cool tuck box - Crow Brand with a 1911 tax stamp. Courts aren't very exciting, though.
Crow Brand - 1911.JPG
Chuqii

Unread post by Chuqii »

It has been a while, so here are a few new additions, starting with the oldest first: c1883 Russel & Morgan Co. Steamboat deck in two color printing
R&M Co Steamboat c1883.JPG
Next are a couple of game sets c1910, the mini cards are Cadets and USPC domino cards
c1910 game sets.JPG
And lastly a matched set of Russell PCC Sweathearts, also c1910
RPCC Sweathearts c1910.JPG
Enjoy!
Chuqii

Unread post by Chuqii »

Here is a good looking Congress deck c.1904. This was part of the Congress Club Series, Imperial back, and has a nice gold ink. Nice looking deck. Ad from same time introducing this back and others in the Club Series. Interesting, looks like they recycled this back (and the Majestic back) from The Stage #65 series. Glad they kept the metallic inks.
IMG_7569.JPG
1904-5 Congress back.jpg
1896 - Stage Imperial back.jpg
1896 - Stage Majestic back.jpg
Enjoy!
Chuqii

Unread post by Chuqii »

There is an old thread on PCF (http://www.playingcardforum.com/index.p ... 3#msg35823" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) that mentions that there are Aristocrat back designs other than the No. 1, No. 2 and No. 3 that everyone know, but I've never seen one or been able to find any images, until now. Just picked up an Aristocrat Allover No. 7 deck c.1944 (see pics). So I guess there are backs No. 4, No. 5 and No.6, maybe more. Does anyone have any of those decks or info about the Nos. 4+ Aristocrat backs? If so, please post or let me know. Love to see the mystery deck backs.

Aristocrat Allover back.JPG
Aristocrat Allover Ace.JPG
Enjoy!