[Jerrad] Help Identify early cards

Members are welcome and encouraged to "Show Their Cards" here. Don't be bashful!
Forum rules
  1. Make a new thread. Be sure to put your username in square brackets [] at the beginning of the title.

2. Write a small (or big, if you want) introduction about you, your collection and your collecting habits.

3. Post as many pictures of your decks as you want in your thread, with or without descriptions.
    (But please refrain from posting pictures of your collection in someone else's thread.)

4. Have fun with it, be creative, and check out other users' threads as well :)

Jerrad

[Jerrad] Help Identify early cards

Unread post by Jerrad »

HI, I'm new to this site of course. I found a large group of these cards in an old home. I really like these cards but I don't know anything about them and was wondering if anyone here could give me any information about them. Thank You in advance, Jerrad
Attachments
MVC-002F.JPG
MVC-003F.JPG
MVC-004F.JPG
MVC-005F.JPG
dazzleguts
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Das Kartenspiel Des Oberdeutsc
Decks Owned: 885

Re: [Jerrad] Help Identify early cards

Unread post by dazzleguts »

These are Tarock cards, also known as Tarot (the French name). They are used to play a game that is very similar to bridge, but may also have elements of the popular German game Skat.

Tarot/Tarock can be either 54 or 78 cards, depending on how many of the pip cards were included. Your Tarot uses the French suits, but this style, with the large Roman numerals centered at the tops of the trumps, is called a "Cego" deck and is used in Germany and Switzerland with it's own particluar rules, and is likely to be 54 cards.

There will be the usual 4 suits, but with 4 courts (King, Queen, Knight, Jack), either 16 or 40 pip cards, and 22 trumps. One of the trumps is the fool - it has no number and looks like a joker but is the highest trump.

The name of the company is often on one of the pip cards so you should look for that. The plaid back and lack of indices suggests these could be quite old. Finding out who made them will help determine age.

**edit
That blue emblem on the Queen of Clubs could indicate FX Schmid of Germany as the maker, but it's hard to make out.

***edit
I looked around and Cego decks are actually still being made with plaid backs and no indices, so it may not be really old so much as well used.
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"
Jerrad

Unread post by Jerrad »

Thank you this helps greatly the cards were among a group of German immigrant items from around the 1860s 70s with some letters even earlier. I went over some cards before I replied and found a marking. WUST and SchutzMarke
dazzleguts
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Das Kartenspiel Des Oberdeutsc
Decks Owned: 885

Unread post by dazzleguts »

That is the playing card maker C.L. Wust - Conrad Ludwig Wüst (1811-1927) of Frankfurt, Germany. (SchutzMarke just means trade mark.) C. L. Wüst was eventually taken over by the company Vereinigte Altenburger Stralsunder Spielkarten Fabriken (V.A.S.S.), I think in the 1930s. The deck you have is likely contemporary with the items you found it with.

Are you going to be showing more cards here? If not then I will move this thread to a more appropriate area.
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"