[ecNate] My transformation/macabre focused collection

Members are welcome and encouraged to "Show Their Cards" here. Don't be bashful!
Forum rules
  1. Make a new thread. Be sure to put your username in square brackets [] at the beginning of the title.

2. Write a small (or big, if you want) introduction about you, your collection and your collecting habits.

3. Post as many pictures of your decks as you want in your thread, with or without descriptions.
    (But please refrain from posting pictures of your collection in someone else's thread.)

4. Have fun with it, be creative, and check out other users' threads as well :)

ecNate
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 400

[ecNate] My transformation/macabre focused collection

Unread post by ecNate »

LATEST COLLECTION SUMMARY/IMAGE(S), as of June 28, 2016:
My 415+ deck collection is semi-functional art, I usually just buy a single deck and (almost) ALWAYS open them. I'll look at them, check out the finish, etc and then put back in the tuck and put in a shelved display case to be removed and enjoyed on occasion, but mostly the tuck is on display. I would like to eventually get a few display boards, possibly like the acrylic sandwich style, so select decks can have cards removed for prominent rotating displays of the cards themselves over time. If I REALLY like the deck I may buy an extra copy for occasional card game play or buy an uncut sheet. I experiment with flourishing, but usually use decks that I've grown tired of or just use cheaper plain decks so my collection is not roughly handled.

I started card collecting in early 2014 and tend to prefer art quality cards that have historical or macabre/creepy (non-gory) design, but oddly also appreciate select odd whimsical designs as well. In particular, I prefer transformation decks or those that are fully custom decks with both custom courts and number cards. It all started after I got some nice tourist decks from travels and thought it would be neat to have a dozen or so really cool decks, so to the internet we went...I recall there were immediately 3 primary decks that got me hooked, Ultimate Deck, Haunted, and Mr. Mead's Dark Suits. This was shortly followed by the discovery of the Federal 52 Reserve Note decks, which still are a favorite to this day.

Why collect cards? I have a family history of playing card games and souvenir decks so the roots run deep there. However, it's the creative artist/designer and engineer in me that loves the concept of an open-ended platform for countless possibilities to play any number of games or create your own. All in something that can fit in your pocket and be used anywhere without needing the internet or electricity. The added bonus of having up 52 (or more) unique pieces of art in a beautiful box for just pennies each that also have functionality is amazing. The amazing variety and niche themes available, especially in the past few years, is simply stunning and almost overwhelming, especially through KickStarter. It's really these last points that made me go from a guy that likes to buy unique decks to play with to a full collector with them on display and especially in select instances going all out with uncut sheets.

=========================================================
From time to time I update the featured deck from my collection that is listed in my signature here. Below is the history of these changes
SBurk49
Decks Owned: 300

Re: [ecNate] My 'starter' collection

Unread post by SBurk49 »

Those branded Fed52's tho... :drool:

I believe we have similar tastes....

For the most part. Your displaying some of my personal favorites.

How's that Haunted deck?
"Cards are war, in disguise of a sport."
SBurk49

Unread post by SBurk49 »

Hot dang! Just noticed the Curators too!
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

SBurk49 wrote:How's that Haunted deck?
That is actually the deck that I think convinced me that I will be getting serious about this collecting cards thing. I'm pretty sure the exact words that went through my head when I saw it online was 'omg, you have to be f'n kidding me, must have'. I was so excited I just clicked 'buy' without looking at reviews and details so I was disappointed to find out there are only 3 custom court cards copied for each suit. It also loses a lot of the atmosphere versus the promo photos with accessories on the retail sites. It's still a must have deck, but could have been much better.

Full listing is here for any you can't make out from the bad photo, it also includes uncuts and those on order. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/1 ... card-decks

=============================================
EDIT - I've since changed my original posting in this thread to be ongoing current details/images, as a result I'm pasting in the original content that was located there into this response for future reference. (From Apr 30, 2014):

I finally had a chance to make custom frames using shadow boxes that's been well discussed elsewhere. Figured this was as good of a time as any to post in this forum. This is most of my small collection, just missing some plain and a few custom decks that are used for play and the uncut sheets. Not to mention the HUGE list still on the way from KS and other places. For the curious the full list in my sig link and hopefully soon on the new playingcarddb site. Going to have to make some decisions or build more of these I fear....

I arranged them with the creepy and whimsical on the left and tried to focus on historic and art decks on the right. This really shows my preference for the unusual, creepy and macabre! Although most of the KS ones I am waiting on will fit best on the right.

EDIT - Wow, that's a bad photo....Poor lighting in this room today.

ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

These 2 card display cases will be placed on opposite ends of the sports theme bar that is under construction. The hallway entrance to this bar area will contain board game closet and it's there that the uncuts and likely the display cases of all the other cards will eventually be on display. The 2 decks shown are regular decks for game use and the empty box is for the upcoming barmaid themed Paris deck from KS and a LCR dice <or> TBD card game. I have a 3rd box that holds my cards for my (lack of) flourishing skills.

ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

I figured I may as well post an update of the cases on the wall, especially now that they are overflowing (I even moved about 2 dozen some less custom ones to boxes for the moment). Time to either build more or just pony up and buy CPC's Large Frame. I am also nowhere near ready to frame and hang the uncuts since that room is still just bare studs. Still, I guess it's progress since I got the decks on the wall? It was almost impossible to get a photo without a lot of glare/reflection, hence the odd angle.

Also, as noted in related thread and my signature, I have (most of) my entire collection posted on the http://playingcarddb.com/mycollection?u=6134 and also still at BGG (including on order, all using stock images).

Fun fact, when I first started I was CERTAIN I could keep it under 20 decks. :lol: I'm still doing pretty well with my single deck collection, other than a few I have doubles of to use for play. My collection is semi-functional art, I usually just buy a single deck and ALWAYS open them. I'll look at them, check out the finish, etc and then put back in the tuck and put in a shelved display case to be removed and enjoyed on occasion, but mostly the tuck is on display. I would like to eventually get a few display boards, possibly like the acrylic sandwich style, so select decks can have cards removed for prominent rotating displays of the cards themselves over time. If I REALLY like the deck I may buy an extra copy for occasional card game play or buy an uncut sheet. I experiment with flourishing, but usually use decks that I've grown tired of or just use cheaper plain decks so my collection is not roughly handled.

I primarily collect modern decks with full custom courts and even better if they are full transformation decks. I will buy retro decks if they are special enough to me. Sources - various online re-sellers (collectible playing cards, Amazon, Bicycle/808, etc), KS, ebay, direct via various online forums, etc

ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

I've been asked a few times about my 30 deck cases, so to make it easier on myself and others in the future adding it here.

While commercial frames from Collectable Playing Cards, or this one on Amazon, or these same units in other finishes, have value and simplicity, they are limited in options. So like a number of others I just built my own. I don't know if I would take the time to do this again, especially since I've since more than doubled the decks vs the space I have and would need at least 2 more now. You should also be aware that it's a VERY tight fit and you need to line up things perfectly or one shelf might be a bit too tight and others just a little too much room. You just need to evaluate what your time is worth and if you enjoy it.

Hobby Lobby has 16" x 20" front loading (side hinge w/ clasp) shadow box frames for $35 or $40, but they often have coupons or sales to make them just $20. Another $5 for screws, wood trim to act as shelves and screws and a few hours later you have a custom front loading glass front display case for your cards that holds 30 decks. I got the idea originally from this thread at PCF which has step by step instructions if you need them.

A few extra comments on the build process if it helps others. My local hardware store didn't have hardwood trim in the style presented so I had to use pine screen molding which is obviously a bit softer and has 2 rounded edges. I had a heck of a time lining up the holes and this wood REQUIRED pre-drilling to prevent splitting. I found the trick to be measuring out uniform holes and drilling those on the back of the frame (remember drill from the FRONT side to keep up appearances - back will have 'exit wounds'), then inserting the bottom row of screws and using them to 'score' each pre-cut and painted shelf by pressing it against this row. In that way I could use it as a template for the pre-drilling into each shelf. To screw in each shelf I then did each screw in order partially and could use the pre-drilled hole to find the proper position. Given the VERY limited margin for error on such a thin board (1/4 inch is all it can handle, would have preferred to go with 1/2 inch) this was important and I still had a few minor deviations that will require touch up paint if it bothers me. Once filled though you really only see the front so not a big deal. I also did remove the foam backing and cut into strips which pushed the back of the frame out a bit while allowing the cards and shelves to sit just a little deeper. This allows them to fit without pressing against the glass. Another pro tip is to use the provided hangers to hang it, but also screw directly through the frame to be sure it's well hung. 30 decks of cards are surprisingly heavy. I shouldn't have to mention to be sure to hit 2 studs if possible, but at least one.

Finally, because I'm OCD I put rubber or felt bumpers on the back of all frames and pictures that I hang. I did the same here, but quickly realized that if the frame sits perfectly plumb and flush to the wall the cards will tend to tip out. So, ideally you would rip your shelving material down a table saw at an angle, or cut out the back to create a front lip, but I just added really fat extra bumpers on the bottom so it leans a bit at the bottom keeping the cards in place better. You can somewhat make this out from the right case given the angle the photo is taken at, but normally you can't even tell.

Already included the photos above, but attached as well
Attachments
DIY Custom Display Cases
DIY Custom Display Cases
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

I finally bought some more display cases, instead of making more custom ones. I should be able to hang those later this month and provide updated photos of the collection in the home office (have some unused furniture removal to do first). I'm also finally making progress of the basement finishing project, which when completed will contain the uncut collection.

Until then, here's a few virtual images of my current collection. The how to is posted here.

Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Re: [ecNate] My QUICKLY growing collection

Unread post by Lotrek »

I love that spade pip! :lol:
"Bite more than you can chew and then chew it"

----------------------------------------------------------
fb: https://www.facebook.com/oathplayingcards/
twitter:@OathPCC
SBurk49

Unread post by SBurk49 »

Bro... the top of the page. Top two paragraphs, I thought I was reading about myself. It was weird.

Except when I get extras I gift em to people. Custom cards are rare to laymen. So their easy to please.
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

Lol, funny. Glad to see if not that weird to open my decks. Are you on pcdb? I would love to check out your collection.
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

So I finally got the excess furniture out of my office which let me hang the 2 purchased cards cases I picked up 2 months ago. This also meant I got to pull a bunch of decks out of storage. Surprise! They are full already! :o I probably will have to start being selective about what is on display or even unload some.

My plan now is to get a 2nd identical large case and hang them on top of each other, then place an uncut on either side. The rest of the uncuts go in the basement.

I still have to work out a better organization scheme and maybe get small ledges for oversize decks, but starting from the left...

This is my vintage and transformation collection, but I actually have quite a bit more in the next set. So it looks like I will need a small ledge for oversize decks or possibly another like this.

These are my original DIY cases and contain pretty much misc decks, but the one on the right is definitely the whimsical collection.

As mentioned, I'll likely get a 2nd one like this and stack them, but this is my combination favorite misc decks and creepy collection. I'm looking forward to deciding which uncuts go on either side and which go in the uncut hallway in the basement.

Thanks for stopping by! :D
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

Sweet ! I wish i had my own office to hang stuff up !
Collector

Unread post by Collector »

Nice collection.

But do you think sometimes about dingy paper? What bulbs do you use for your lamps?
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

Collector wrote:Nice collection.

But do you think sometimes about dingy paper? What bulbs do you use for your lamps?

Interesting point, I had seen it mentioned before as well, but wasn't concerned at the time. Perhaps I should consider it now though. Do you mean for fading risk and color wear?

I have a window about 14 feet (4 meters) that faces East across from the cards. There are also quite a few trees in the way so it really sees little direct sun exposure. For light bulbs I currently use 8000k color CFL bulbs, but will likely switch to LED soon as the rest of the house is gradually moving there as well.

While I would love your input on the matter and may make changes, I'm not terribly concerned about minor wear. I open all my decks and have no plans to sell them, so unless they get destroyed I wouldn't want to box them up and lose the joy of seeing them regularly since that would miss the point of having them for me. I collect for enjoying them long term, not future value and resale.

That said, any points you have I would greatly appreciated!
Collector

Unread post by Collector »

ecNate wrote:
Collector wrote:Nice collection.

... Do you mean for fading risk and color wear?
Yes. Even lamps can affect paper and inks.
ecNate wrote:...I open all my decks and have no plans to sell them... I collect for enjoying them long term, not future value and resale.
[here should be a smile shaking your hand]
ecNate wrote:That said, any points you have I would greatly appreciated!
I don't pretend to be an expert. I think it is better to keep expensive decks in bigger boxes and get them out from time to time.

IMHO, albums are really cool thing, but not universal one. First of all, no one makes them 4x3 cells, only 3x3 (which is uncomfortable for playing cards). And you still will have problems with keeping your tuck cases. You will have to put something in them to secure their form (if we speak about USPCC's decks). Also you will have to find more room for your collection as it won't be a compact one anymore.

On the other hand, pages of such albums were initially created for money collectors and have quite long story of improvements. Now they use some clear materials which better resist ultraviolet lights. Unfortunately, such albums (4x3 cells) can be done only on request. It is very expensive delights taking into account such album's potential capacity and average quantity of cards in each deck. Also some decks have unusual sizes.
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

I got another (and my FINAL) display case from CPC which I finally got hung today, so figured it's a good time to update this thread. I'm also still figuring out the best groupings to try and logically display them. Uncuts still aren't up because that room isn't ready, but getting close.

ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

Wow, it's been a year since I updated this, I suppose I should do that soon. I'm now well over capacity in my display cases and with each new deck arriving I need to decide what goes into a box and what goes into the sell/trade list. Naturally I've also gotten a lot more selective about what cards I buy and projects I back. I've also finally since completed my basement and am now planning out and hopefully soon getting the best uncuts framed and on the walls.

However, with P52 currently down, my office a disaster, plus other priority items to attend to, I'll leave this for now:

Every once in a while people hear I collect cards or see them and just ask "WHY?". I try and explain sometimes, but other times just say it's what I do without really giving it much thought. If I had uncuts up I think it would be more obvious, but a few times I've opened a deck and showed them not all decks have standard courts. I saw an update to the Heckadeck that discussed cards and it clicked. So here's my manifesto/justification :lol:

Why collect cards? I have a family history of playing card games and souvenir decks so the roots run deep there. However, it's the creative artist/designer and engineer in me that loves the concept of an open-ended platform for countless possibilities to play any number of games or create your own. All in something that can fit in your pocket and be used anywhere without needing the internet or electricity. The added bonus of having up 52 (or more) unique pieces of art in a beautiful box for just pennies each that also have functionality is amazing. The amazing variety and niche themes available, especially in the past few years, is simply stunning and almost overwhelming, especially through KickStarter. It's really these last points that made me go from a guy that likes to buy unique decks to play with to a full collector with them on display and especially in select instances going all out with uncut sheets.
ecNate

Re: [ecNate] My transformation/macabre focused collection

Unread post by ecNate »

I did another quick pano shot of the portion of the collection on display and also of the transformation/macabre display case. I also updated the original post for relevant details. While it looks like I have some open spots on the wall those are reserved for uncut sheet overflow. Now that our basement is done I have my primary uncut display space available, but it's not enough. :(

I also should really do more like Jace and others do to truly feature some of the more unique decks I have, time permitting.... ;)

ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

Well it only took well over 3 years, but I finally got all my uncuts framed and up on the wall. I really liked the idea I saw once about including the actual deck framed with the uncuts, but that makes framing even more of a challenge and requires shadow box frame, etc. So I just created informational images with the tuck and then used that instead. I got quotes on custom framing these and basically for the cost of one of them I could buy a higher end mat cutter (Logan Artist Elite, although I got with 60% off list with coupon) and buy mat board in bulk to do it myself, so that's what I did. Another reason it took so long. That and getting nearly a dozen frames and mat was pretty expensive while money and time was being spent building out the basement where most of these are now on display.

I just have 3 left to do, the pipmen pair and the Dondorf uncut once it arrives. The Pipmen using the MPC layout means they are wider than the frames and matboard (over 24") so either I will have to do without the deck image or place it to the right/left instead of underneath.

I did use acid free mat board, but due to price of doing 11+ of these I went with cheaper IKEA poster frames with acrylic instead of glass. I also would have liked to do proper archival style mounts with t hinge, but with the tolerances and size I had to instead use linen tape in more liberal amounts (I have to go back and fix the art of money set as that's how I found out it really only works with smaller and thicker photo prints). Still, the house is pretty well conditioned and these are away from sunlight for the most part so willing to take a chance. I went with mat board and frame size of 24x36 (IKEA Link) and the USPCC uncut actual card area size is 21 1/4" x 25 1/4", but you'll want to slightly decrease that so the cut indicators on the edge don't show. This is also important is that edge gives you something to mount to the mat as actual uncut size is just under 22x26.5".

This all started because I wanted to get the 3 prints from Jackson Robinson of his Silver Certificates framed (in the style of his Federal 52 Reserve Note decks), but Michaels and other places wouldn't even try to create a custom mat because it needed multiple openings and would have to mail it out for lots of money.

Here is the templates I created and used for making the info cards at the bottom of each framed uncut.

Other sources for uncut framing help
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8796
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=3756
http://www.playingcardforum.com/index.php?topic=5066

ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

I suppose if I'm going to 'feature' a deck in my signature I should also do a mini post here too with more details. I was just updating details on P52 only, but may as well add here too. See end of first post in this thread for the full history, but up now is Vanity Fair No 41

This is by far my oldest original deck and one of my most prized. It's a USPCC deck from 1895 and a true transformation deck sold with 53 cards. Like the 1879 transformation deck 'Tiffany Harlequin', which likely prompted USPCC to finally make a true transformation deck (slightly earlier Hustling Joe wasn't a true transformation), it also has comical court figures. It came in a total of 4 variations with gold gilded edges (brown or red backed fanciful demon design) or non-gilded (blue or green asian faces with hats in a snowflake design center with comical masks in the corners).

If one were to look at the Hochman price guide you would see it could be worth up to $500 (often listed for more on ebay). However, mine is not complete (missing a few including the popular joker and aces) and it's got some condition issues, but I paid very little for it comparatively (less than the reproduction I recently picked up in fact) and has the full sliding tuck box intact. Still, as one of my collection specialties is transformation cards so I was so happy to find this deck as an original for less than the cost of reproductions, even though it's got issues. My version also features the brown back, the first image is one from wopc as mine is missing the joker/aces and they are sadly some of the best ones, but I wanted to share the deck and not just my representation.

More details - http://www.wopc.co.uk/usa/uspcc/vanity-fair
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

I finally got the Pipmen uncuts framed and up. These were more of a challenge because the width of them is wider than the frames I got to mount in the same portrait orientation. I didn't like the unbalanced look of just one info photo and none had way too much 'white space', so I just duplicated them on both sides. This also works well for tucking these into corners and being flexible on which is right/left since it's the same on both sides so not seeing the far one isn't a big deal, but it's still balanced.

With the Dorndorf hopefully arriving in the next few weeks and the Deviant Tarot Transformation hopefully available soon I will have to shuffle things around and demote a few. To fill the wall space for now I just mounted the USPCC Joker deck so that will go, but after that things get difficult. Hard choices...
Attachments
2018-01-09 11.19.02.jpg
2018-01-09 11.19.17.jpg
2018-01-09 11.19.43.jpg
lecardcollector
Cardist: Yes
Decks Owned: 40

Re: [ecNate] My transformation/macabre focused collection (w

Unread post by lecardcollector »

Really nice gallery you have! I live in an apartment where I can basically can't modify anything because I'm just renting...
TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by TheGentlemanWake »

Awesome. What are your top three transformation decks? I have a few and would love some suggestions. I have the Royal mischief of course. And the Murphy’s varnish and the philibert reprint of memories de Casanova.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
For the best in playing cards related content:

https://www.wake.video/youtube
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

TheGentlemanWake wrote:Awesome. What are your top three transformation decks? I have a few and would love some suggestions. I have the Royal mischief of course. And the Murphy’s varnish and the philibert reprint of memories de Casanova.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I have original Vanity Fair and for being my oldest deck as well, that's a clear top winner. I would say the others are Emmanuel Jose's Curator and now the Royal Mischief Transformation which I just framed the uncut so have both of these as framed uncuts.
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

I have been away from cards and the forum since spring, due to work travel. However, glad to see a few nice decks I am interested in and I was able to get 3 more uncuts framed today. That brings it to 13 framed uncuts, plus and older matted USPCC Jokers uncut which got put in storage and re-used the frame. I am so out of room, but picking up 3 more so either I need to get a new job with huge office or move. Otherwise probably have to thin things out a bit.

I've also done custom mat/frame for another dozen or so photos/prints which by now has far exceeded the ROI for the bulk mat material and mat cutter I bought a few years ago.
Motley uncut (Medium).jpg
RMUncut (Large).jpg
2019-09-19 19.21.12 (Large).jpg
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

Well we are moving to a smaller house so I have all my framed uncuts sitting in the same spot, figured it was a good time for a video of all of them. I won't have the same amount of display space at the new place, at least not right away. Considering rotating them in/out or moving some to office. Most of my space will be in heated/finished extra garage, but it's not humidity controlled so not ideal place for these. :cry:

Decks are:
Dondorf Hundertjahrkarte (unframed)
Joker (unframed)
Royal Mischief
Pipmen
Pipmen World
Federal Reserve Black
Curator
Sawdust
Clipped Wings
Delicious
Explore
A Motley Pack
Ye Witches Fortune
Vanity Fair
Dondorf Hundertjahrkarte
Hustling Joe
Arcana Dark
Ultimate Deck

joeblow

Unread post by joeblow »

Amazing. Sadly the need for space is a big consideration when collecting these.
saulriffel
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: STEVE MINTY Z
Decks Owned: 310

Unread post by saulriffel »

Really nice collection, what I like the most is the diversity, your collection looks so colorful and well mixed.
Also, nice uncut sheets, they look amazing in those displays (Personally I would use a blue background, but that's because I don't like red)
att. Saul Riffel Instsgram: baloocards
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Awesome collection & the video. All the best with the move.