[Jock1971] My Collection

Members are welcome and encouraged to "Show Their Cards" here. Don't be bashful!
Forum rules
  1. Make a new thread. Be sure to put your username in square brackets [] at the beginning of the title.

2. Write a small (or big, if you want) introduction about you, your collection and your collecting habits.

3. Post as many pictures of your decks as you want in your thread, with or without descriptions.
    (But please refrain from posting pictures of your collection in someone else's thread.)

4. Have fun with it, be creative, and check out other users' threads as well :)

Jock1971
Collector: Yes

Re: [Jock1971] My Collection

Unread post by Jock1971 »

I was hoping for a few Kickstarters to be here for the weekend but sadly no :cry: But i did get a parcel today :D
Here is a "Upgrade" to my 1957 Thomas De La Rue Anniversary set. i bought this set to replace mine as it has The Card outer sleeve and all extra cards plus paper quality strips. :drool:
100_0509.JPG
Next up a recent addition to my Alchemy set.This is the Alchemy Gothic Black Arcana Deck from 2007.
100_0514.JPG
A old De La Rue Advertising set ,these are advertising the Financial Times Newspaper.
100_0512.JPG
And last a few other newish odds, Another Eric Duan , The Grid by 4PM & Platinum from Elite
100_0517.JPG
I know Elite seems to be churning out the same old same old ,but i think there`s some good ones in amongst it all.
Thanks for looking at my cards :D -Jase-
dazzleguts
Player: Yes
White Whale: Das Kartenspiel Des Oberdeutsc
Decks Owned: 885

Unread post by dazzleguts »

Are you going to sharpie any of your black decks J? My Tattoo deck was quite poor, wth the black chipping around the edges right out of the box, so I took a sharpie to it.
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"
Jock1971

dazzleguts wrote:Are you going to sharpie any of your black decks J? My Tattoo deck was quite poor, wth the black chipping around the edges right out of the box, so I took a sharpie to it.
Hi there Dazzelguts, I Had seen CBJ`s `Featured Collectors` Thread and the pictures of the Red deck he sharpied, Look`s really good. I haven`t gave it any other thought but now you pointed it out,that Alchemy decks edges do stand out. :o .I`ve a old black deck with no tuck i might try it out on first, see if i can do it without messing the cards up :D -Jase-
dazzleguts

I found it worked best using the side of the sharpie rather than the tip. If you do sharpie the Alchemy deck it would be great to see it. I have the same deck but haven't blackened the edges yet.
Worldwide Time Machine

Jock1971

Still waiting on my Requiem decks :cry: ..I know they are coming though :D
A couple of weeks ago i decided to hit my wish list hard ,starting with Jacksons Federal 52 series,so looked on e-bay . :lol: :lol: nobody in England ,or anywhere else except a couple in America (Gamblers etc) so Gamblers it was i ordered both fed 52 branded & unbranded, thinking i`d do two every couple of weeks incase something happened so i wouldn`t loose to much money in one go. so they are somewhere on the Atlantic.
Monday i looked on e-bay again and 1 person in England had 3 of the others (YES YA BEAUTY) Good prices (Another YES YA BEAUTY) i got all Three.He`s got all Four Holmes decks as well he`s selling. Them are MINE. :D He`S saving them for me till i get some spare change.
100_0509.JPG
100_0510.JPG
Next on my hit list are the Unbranded silver cert & Reserve notes, more than likely from Gambler`s (depends on the Fed 52 decks coming in good order or not) or if no-one else from U.K has them.
Next up today is a bridge set from Waddingtons, this is dated between 1971-1974.Very nice indeed :drool:
100_0511.JPG
And Finally for today another Waddington`s Double.
100_0513.JPG
Once again i thank you for taking the time to look at my cards :D -Jase-
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Sweet stuff! I'm waiting on a couple (maybe 3?) decks of mint Waddingtons and at least a pair of de la Rue - one sealed. I think there's even an Alf Cooke in there, but I know it wasn't sealed. I found a few of them by sponging around in Etsy.com, and I had totally forgotten that they have a lot of British sellers.

Really nice decks, Jace!
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
Jock1971

Mike Ratledge wrote:Sweet stuff! I'm waiting on a couple (maybe 3?) decks of mint Waddingtons and at least a pair of de la Rue - one sealed. I think there's even an Alf Cooke in there, but I know it wasn't sealed. I found a few of them by sponging around in Etsy.com, and I had totally forgotten that they have a lot of British sellers.

Really nice decks, Jace!
Thanks Mike, I got some nice sealed decks coming my way in the next couple of days. Sealed Alf cooke`s are really hard to find over here unless your willing to pay "Top Dollar", or find someone who doesn`t know what they have :D -Jase-
Jock1971

My first deck today, "The Four Elements" created and designed by Miss Siriol Clarry in 1964 specially for John Waddingtons Ltd. Siriol Clarry was an Illustrator who is best known for her work in Children`s books and book covers.
100_0517.JPG
I will be scanning these for the "Worldwide" section, if you would like to see more :D
next up is a Bezique set from Thomas De La Rue. As well as the Two common Ace designs,De La Rue also produced special advertising Aces. Examples being Rufford,Chatsworth & Petham,which were all used as trademarks for cards sold by Boots the chemist c.1930-1955
100_0519.JPG
Both the above cards were in auction on e-bay from the same seller, so i messaged the lady and asked if she would do me a deal and put both on as a buy me now ,and she agreed, i got both for £10+£2.60 P&P :D
next up a couple of sealed Waddington decks,Not much is known about these as i don`t want to open them,the cards are sealed in plastic with the paper tax wrapper over them and through the gaps at the corners i can see the card edges are golden.
100_0523.JPG
And finally today a few more of my newer Decks.
100_0526.JPG
Thank you for looking at my cards -Jase- :D
dazzleguts

I'm looking forward to seeing the four elements deck in worldwide.

Interesting extra cards with that Bezique deck J. Funny that they call the cards 'pneumatic' - I guess for the airflow over the cards?

Isn't that wax paper rather than plastic sealing the last Waddingtons decks?
Worldwide Time Machine

Jock1971

dazzleguts wrote:
Interesting extra cards with that Bezique deck J. Funny that they call the cards 'pneumatic' - I guess for the airflow over the cards?
Hi Dazzelguts :D i always enjoy your comments,as they always send me on a quest to find out more for you.
The extra`s in the de la rue pack are just paper advertising slips apart from the one which shows "whist" rules,which is strange as this is a bezique set.maybe the slips got mixed in with the set at some later date.
IMG.jpg
I Hope you can read the decription on the "pneumatic" cards clearly. I`ve seen a number of these packs scattered about, some have a series letters on them, e.g i`ve seen Series C and Series F decks as well as packs without the series on them.
Here`s a picture of a Goodalls deck c.1925-1950. the "Linette" series is more or less the same as the De le rue "pneumatic" series. Making the cards more easy to deal and to reduce the risk of a mis-deal.
100_0528.JPG
dazzleguts wrote:Isn't that wax paper rather than plastic sealing the last Waddingtons decks?
Yes it is Wax Paper :oops: , i wasn`t trying to mis-lead,my brain just couldn`t come up with the words to describe the wrapping -even though i know what wax paper is. if that makes any sense. :D
Here`s a picture showing two Waddington packs.
100_0529.JPG
The Number 1 being a run of the mill pack is just paper wrapped over the tuck and the cards inside probably won`t be wrapped. this wrapper has been cancelled by a stationer`s,can only see the William part in the name and part of the word stationer`s clearly.
100_0531.JPG
The Patience set however being a more "higher end" produced deck, has the cards wrapped first (it look`s like plastic or cello this time??) and then the paper tax wrapper over this. The wrapper has been cancelled by a John Waddingtons Stamp.
Thanks again for looking at my cards and keeping me on my toes. -Jase- :D
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

Hey jase, I've just realized that the boxes for the Thomas de la rue set you sent me had a black top and white base, but the one you just acquired is actually the reverse, were they a different version ? Just curious.

And yes that siriol clarry deck is stunning as well, the colorful deck looks pretty sweet too :)
dazzleguts

Jock1971 wrote:
dazzleguts wrote:
Hi Dazzelguts :D i always enjoy your comments,as they always send me on a quest to find out more for you.

Thanks Jase :) My curiosity drives some people crazy so just let me know if I ask too much.
Jock1971 wrote:
dazzleguts wrote:Isn't that wax paper rather than plastic sealing the last Waddingtons decks?
Yes it is Wax Paper :oops: , i wasn`t trying to mis-lead,my brain just couldn`t come up with the words to describe the wrapping -even though i know what wax paper is. if that makes any sense. :D

Perfect sense since my own ability with words is tenuous and erratic. I have a great vocabulary but it's often misplaced. :ugthink:

Thank you for the close ups of the de la rue extras. I was able to read that the pneumatic cards had dimpled backs and smooth fronts to allow air between the cards.
Worldwide Time Machine

Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

dazzleguts wrote:Thanks Jase :) My curiosity drives some people crazy so just let me know if I ask too much.
Jock1971 wrote:
Perfect sense since my own ability with words is tenuous and erratic. I have a great vocabulary but it's often misplaced. :ugthink:

Thank you for the close ups of the de la rue extras. I was able to read that the pneumatic cards had dimpled backs and smooth fronts to allow air between the cards.
Just my observation and I'm certain that Jace has seen a ton more than I have, but most of the tax-sealed decks have a webbed type paper that is somewhere between what we would call waxed paper and a fabric, I have to assume to make it more difficult to remove the tax overwrap and use it again? Jace - doesn't that jibe with what you've seen? I Know I've seen a couple of pretty old decks that are more like an onionskin paper or maybe a bit heavier kind of like a 30# bond we used to call "kraft paper" or "poster paper".
>Mike<
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
Jock1971

volantangel wrote:Hey jase, I've just realized that the boxes for the Thomas de la rue set you sent me had a black top and white base, but the one you just acquired is actually the reverse, were they a different version ? Just curious.

And yes that siriol clarry deck is stunning as well, the colorful deck looks pretty sweet too :)
Hi Volantangel :D, i don`t know if there was many versions of this deck,i doubt it as was printed to mark the 125th anniversary of De La Rue playing cards,but as to how many print runs were made i don`t know. There`s two on e-bay at the moment and both have black bottoms and white lids,More information about this deck can be found at http://WWW.WOPC.co.uk/delarue/picart/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
I also seen Roberts comment in your thread. i guess he has the plastic case inside the card outer sleeve and just remembers the box?? or his plastic box has been lost over the years as most of the card outer boxes have been lost like your set.
Mike Ratledge wrote:
dazzleguts wrote:Thanks Jase :) My curiosity drives some people crazy so just let me know if I ask too much.

Just my observation and I'm certain that Jace has seen a ton more than I have, but most of the tax-sealed decks have a webbed type paper that is somewhere between what we would call waxed paper and a fabric, I have to assume to make it more difficult to remove the tax overwrap and use it again? Jace - doesn't that jibe with what you've seen? I Know I've seen a couple of pretty old decks that are more like an onionskin paper or maybe a bit heavier kind of like a 30# bond we used to call "kraft paper" or "poster paper".
Hi Dazzelguts :D ,Keep the comments coming i`ve no problem with trying to answer if i can.
Hi there Mike :D i seriously doubt i`ve seen more tax-sealed decks than you :D , and as seen above i`m not very good at describing what`s in front of me, Most of the one`s in my collection are wrapped in cello or plastic (like the stuff modern decks are wrapped in) but a few are wrapped in thick wax paper (just about see through)that is oily to the touch.i have a couple what looks like wax paper but not oily when touched.Sorry i can be of much help for you -jase- :D
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, sorry - my description could be better. I'm thinking it's some sort of webbing or whatever to keep it from being removed and re-used, that's all. Not really 'fabric' like I said above. I have seen quite a few that have just a plain overwrap without it, also. In my mind I don't see any particular pattern except that at one point somebody was obviously trying to get around the "three pence" tax and reusing those wrappers...
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Jock1971

Some cards i got in this week,first up a result of a trade. :D
100_0536.JPG
Thanks Kai. i think i got the better end of the deal, i can`t wait for your "Underwater" experiment.
Next up my Requiems arrived on tuesday ,it seems like old news now after seeing everybody elses arrive before mine.
100_0533.JPG
Next up a pair of Fed 52`s. Slowly making my way through my want`s list.
100_0534.JPG
And last today a nice Waddington`s single deck.
100_0537.JPG
Thank you for looking at my cards.-jase- :D
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

I always fear looking at this thread because chances are you've obtained decks I've been looking for a while! The Siriol deck....:(

Nice one!
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

Haha heck ive got the far better end of the deal than you jase ! Ill make sure its worth your while the next time we trade ! The last box with the dog on the deck is interesting, reminds me of a small powder box
SBurk49
Decks Owned: 300

Unread post by SBurk49 »

Jock1971 wrote:Still waiting on my Requiem decks :cry: ..I know they are coming though :D
A couple of weeks ago i decided to hit my wish list hard ,starting with Jacksons Federal 52 series,so looked on e-bay . :lol: :lol: nobody in England ,or anywhere else except a couple in America (Gamblers etc) so Gamblers it was i ordered both fed 52 branded & unbranded, thinking i`d do two every couple of weeks incase something happened so i wouldn`t loose to much money in one go. so they are somewhere on the Atlantic.
Monday i looked on e-bay again and 1 person in England had 3 of the others (YES YA BEAUTY) Good prices (Another YES YA BEAUTY) i got all Three.He`s got all Four Holmes decks as well he`s selling. Them are MINE. :D He`S saving them for me till i get some spare change.
Once again i thank you for taking the time to look at my cards :D -Jase-
In case no one is keeping track, Thats like $500+ on these cards. I stopped counting after $500. I want the Fed52 series too. But not bad enough to shell out $250 to get them all. 5 decks for $250 is not a good deal to me yet. I cringe to think of the day that it will.

For now, Its cheap decks on sale to expand the collection. lol

In short, Jase, I'm friggin jealous of you dude.
"Cards are war, in disguise of a sport."
Jock1971

Eoghann wrote:I always fear looking at this thread because chances are you've obtained decks I've been looking for a while! The Siriol deck....:(

Nice one!
Thanks Eoghann, I fear looking all over this forum for fear of the same thing. :lol: will give you aheads up if i find another siriol going cheap.Thanks for looking at my cards :D
volantangel wrote:Haha heck ive got the far better end of the deal than you jase ! Ill make sure its worth your while the next time we trade ! The last box with the dog on the deck is interesting, reminds me of a small powder box
Hi there Volantangel, The box is interesting, Padded front with ribbons around the sides. very smooth to the touch with a 3-D effect. very cool. :D looking forward to future trades,my friend. :D
SBurk49 wrote:
In case no one is keeping track, Thats like $500+ on these cards. I stopped counting after $500. I want the Fed52 series too. But not bad enough to shell out $250 to get them all. 5 decks for $250 is not a good deal to me yet. I cringe to think of the day that it will.

For now, Its cheap decks on sale to expand the collection. lol

In short, Jase, I'm friggin jealous of you dude.
Hi there SBurk49, :D Thanks for looking at my cards. I thought it best to get the Jackson Robinson decks now while i can, before the price goes higher and lesser become available for sale. The quality of the cards justify splashing out for a pair of these decks every now and again. ;)
Here`s Jackson`s Sherlock decks i got Friday.
100_0545.JPG
100_0537.JPG
Jock1971

First up is a new British deck called Forest playing cards by Yama Zhang.
100_0552.JPG
Found this deck on Etsy.com,Bit expensive at £18 :( . But i managed to get some Waddingtons decks cheaply ,to even the score out a bit :D .Scans of the "Forest" deck can be found in the english thread of "Worldwide".
Next up Two Waddingtons, the first a Large index Pack, the deck is sealed in cellophane..The Ace of Spades used is a Special Ace only used in these packs.
100_0557.JPG
The Second are a pair of advertising decks in a Travel case ,both cellophane wrapped then paper tax wrapped.It has DeVibees-Aerograph advertised on the card backs.
100_0564.JPG
Last is a De La Rue Bezique set . The Joker is a standard Goodalls but was used by De La Rue and later by Waddingtons as well.
100_0555.JPG
Jock1971

After Showing `how to date Waddington Aces` a few post ago, I though about doing one for Alf Cooke.
In 1866 Alf Cooke set up as a General Printers, In 1925 they started producing Playing Cards under the name Universal Playing Card Co Ltd.
100_0569.JPG
In 1970 Alf Cooke sold the playing card company to Waddingtons,who eventually discontinued the courts and brand around 1975.
100_0565.JPG
Apart from a few Special Aces, Alf cooke had only One standard AoS design.this has 5 different variations.
IMG.jpg
1.The most Common , "Co Ltd" Shading on the inner Spade (c.1925-1955)
2. "Co " only with the inner spade white (c.1930-1940)
3. "Co" only with the inner spade shaded (c.1950-1955)
4. "Alf Cooke" added (c.1956-1970)
5. Name removed and used by Waddingtons (c.1975)

Thanks for looking at my cards :D and i Hope this helps You roughly date Alf Cooke decks. :D -jase-
Jock1971

I Got a few Uusi decks from JP playing cards today, after taking advantage of the offer they had on wednesday. :D
100_0562.JPG
Excellent service once again from Paul, I thought i had a 50/50 chance with the offer of getting a random Bicycle deck for every £20 spent, Turned out not too bad :D
I got this set from e-bay. My sealed deck must have came from a set like this (no wonder the tuck was mint)
100_0563.JPG
All four packs are opened,The Ace used is pre 1957. The set has a Board "miniature Layout" and Paper counters seen in the middle of the cards.
Next up a couple more Uusi decks.
100_0560.JPG
Very Nice indeed. Thats another four struck off my modern deck wants list.
Next up a Waddingtons silver jubilee deck. This deck is at the cheaper end of the price scale and was a lot more numerous than the more expensive double decks at the higher end.
100_0551.JPG
Jock1971

I got a kickstarter in on Saturday,CMYK playing cards by Hundred Million.
100_0548.JPG
Next a Canasta set by Waddingtons, this set has three packs of cards included, Notice the Card Value & description on the faces.
100_0556.JPG
Finally Got round to getting a Ignite deck. The Infinity deck i`ve had for a while and the Animal Kingdom deck i got last week along with the Ignite.
100_0550.JPG
And last today a B.P Grimauld Tarot set.
100_0552.JPG
Thanks for looking at my cards :D -jase-
dazzleguts

I have a mint deck of that Waddingtons Canasta with the points. I found it sealed in cello but with no box. Nice to see the set it came from. Is there a year on that set Jase?

Do you have many tarot decks?
Worldwide Time Machine

Godzillian

Unread post by Godzillian »

Awesome collection. I am especially in envy of those Transducers and your Coca-Cola collection. Where did you get the Transducers from? Do you put your decks on display?
Jock1971

dazzleguts wrote:I have a mint deck of that Waddingtons Canasta with the points. I found it sealed in cello but with no box. Nice to see the set it came from. Is there a year on that set Jase?

Do you have many tarot decks?
Hi Dazzelgits :D , i don`t know the exact date of the canasta set somewhere between 75-95. i`ve only this tarot set i got cheap on e-bay. Not too keen on them but have seen some nice ones out there so who knows i might get a few more?
Godzillian wrote:Awesome collection. I am especially in envy of those Transducers and your Coca-Cola collection. Where did you get the Transducers from? Do you put your decks on display?
Hiya Godzillian :D . The transducers i got from a private seller on e-bay .i get most of my new decks from e-bay only a few from kickstarter and proper card sites. i have my collection in Cases and plastic boxes as i`ve no room.The different box sizes of the old decks would be a pain to display properly.
Thanks guys for looking at my cards :D -jase-
Jock1971

First up today some Red & Blues.
100_0594.JPG
Next up a double pack from Hoyle,i posted this in another thread a while ago but decided to put here incase anyone missed it.
100_0595.JPG
OOOH :? that `s a bit fuzzy.
Next up a recent adddition to my Karnival set. The Porcelain deck was one of the freebie`s from JP`s when i got the UUSI decks
100_0597.JPG
And last today a nice double from Congress. The backs have "Daughters of the british empire in U.S.A 1920" on them. Don`t know how to date these as they have oN code on the AoS.
100_0596.JPG
dazzleguts

"Around 1965, USPC began the practice of "pre-facing" some decks, especially Congress decks. This means a supply of faces were printed then stored so the backs could be added as needed. Therefore, Congress cards and any other pre-faced brands stopped using the codes altogether."

I know that doesn't really pinpoint it, but at least we know they are from after 1965. Copied that from Lee Asher's site.

I noticed you have a lot of double decks and sets Jase. Is that by choice or chance?
Worldwide Time Machine

Jock1971

dazzleguts wrote:"Around 1965, USPC began the practice of "pre-facing" some decks, especially Congress decks. This means a supply of faces were printed then stored so the backs could be added as needed. Therefore, Congress cards and any other pre-faced brands stopped using the codes altogether."

I know that doesn't really pinpoint it, but at least we know they are from after 1965. Copied that from Lee Asher's site.

I noticed you have a lot of double decks and sets Jase. Is that by choice or chance?
Hi Dazzelguts :D . Thanks for the information .As always i`m very grateful for any info about my cards.

My collecting is basically choice and chance. This first Double was by choice, i seen it on e-bay and got it for £10 with postage, i got the set because of the Plastic card tray ,i haven`t got any set like this The tucks are Plain white with only a card back stuck to one face.
100_0620.JPG
The next double was obtained by chance. i got this set in a 20 deck lot on e-bay which i got for £35 + £3.50 P&P.
Out of 20 decks i got 2 good Double decks and 5 good single decks. the rest were 3 doubles with wrong tucks,no tucks,badly damaged tucks and the rest was single decks with no tuck ,bad tuck or advertising decks.
100_0622.JPG
Here`s a nice 6 Deck Bezique from goodalls. I got this set on e-bay from the Lady who sold me the Siriol Clarry deck.
100_0619.JPG
And last but no means least a Waddingtons sealed deck.
100_0628.JPG