[Jock1971] My Collection

Members are welcome and encouraged to "Show Their Cards" here. Don't be bashful!
Forum rules
  1. Make a new thread. Be sure to put your username in square brackets [] at the beginning of the title.

2. Write a small (or big, if you want) introduction about you, your collection and your collecting habits.

3. Post as many pictures of your decks as you want in your thread, with or without descriptions.
    (But please refrain from posting pictures of your collection in someone else's thread.)

4. Have fun with it, be creative, and check out other users' threads as well :)

Jock1971
Collector: Yes

Re: [Jock1971] My Collection

Unread post by Jock1971 »

volantangel
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

Whats inside that gypsy witch deck ? Looks interesting !
Jock1971

volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

haha interesting deck, so you just draw a card and it tells you your fortune? Hahah i can imagine the people spending too much time reading the cards and not on the game.
Jock1971

Jock1971

Jock1971

dazzleguts
White Whale: Das Kartenspiel Des Oberdeutsc
Decks Owned: 885

Unread post by dazzleguts »

I found that same Waddingtons box as you have in the previous post, but as a bridge set instead of Canasta. Do you have any idea what the year is J?

The deck of cards that came with mine has a very different back with a metallic gold star design on a black ground, and a white border. My ace also has the lacy edged spade shape they started using around 1930. But it was used at the same time as your ace too so maybe it was used for the bridge decks specifically in this series.

*EDIT*
I looked at the Waddingtons sets more and I suspect they are from sometime between 1974, when the leek was introduced to your ace, and 1994, when Hasbro bought the company. That's a pretty wide span though. Mine had an instructions sheet in it but there was no date. The printing is poor with my set, with gaps and off-registration, and the blue is very light.
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"
Jock1971

Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Really cool to see all the British makers' decks, Jace! I'm probably in the minority here in that I know a fair amount about all of the makers there, simply because I have had time to build up a fairly good collection of older 'mint' or sealed decks that are tough to find even for you at this time, I'm sure. I've got the advantage that I bought quite a few of them some 5-10 years ago instead of now. The tendency for British decks and Piatniks for example is that they were used instead of stuck away in the back of a drawer after somebody got them for Christmas or whatever. Very nice grouping!
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
dazzleguts

Wow. That is thorough Jase! Thank you. :)
I wouldn't have guessed mine to be that early.
When I saw yours were so different I wondered if the cards in my set could have been replaced at some point with another Waddingtons deck, but, since they are an earlier date rather than a later one, and you have a bezique set with that back design, they must be original to the cribbage set.

I did not want to intrude on your show thread, but since you brought it up here I will post the image I sent you so people know what we are talking about:
Waddingtons crib.jpg
These are a bit off in the yellow colour and I rather like seeing off register colour printing. I have a lot of made in China decks like that and there's something appealing about the colour missing the lines a bit. It shows the process.

Mike I have noticed that as well. The decks made outside North America will often have had extensive use no matter how fancy they are. I don't really mind a little use on a deck since that means it's lived a little. It's had air and fingers and eyes flow over it's surface to baptise it into the world.
Worldwide Time Machine

Jock1971

Jock1971

Jock1971

dazzleguts

I didn't know Waddington's went that international. Grimaud and Ducale are now brands under the company name of France Cartes, but I guess they took a detour to England first.

Jase have you got any of the older Dr. Who decks? I was watching during the Tom Baker years and I've seen decks online with him and other older Dr. Whos in them.
Worldwide Time Machine

Jock1971

dazzleguts

Thank you Jase, that's more history than I usually see on World Web...

Sorry :oops: I had seen those Dr. Whos but I've been very distracted lately. :?

I was , and still am, very envious of your Prisoner deck. Maybe you could post it in more detail in the England thread of Worldwide? :mrgreen: :drool: :mrgreen:

:ucstar: :ucstar: :ucstar: The Gallifrey One :ucstar: :ucstar: :ucstar:
Fairy dust sounds about right. That was one of the decks mentioned in the first posting of Sharpie's White Whale thread, and it was mentioned many times after that too. I believe I have a saved search in ebay for those but hold little hope they will actually show up. If they do the competition will be fierce, pushing it beyond my mostly nonexistent budget. :|
Worldwide Time Machine

Jock1971

Jock1971

Jock1971

Jock1971

I was hoping for a few Kickstarters to be here for the weekend but sadly no :cry: But i did get a parcel today :D
Here is a "Upgrade" to my 1957 Thomas De La Rue Anniversary set. i bought this set to replace mine as it has The Card outer sleeve and all extra cards plus paper quality strips. :drool:
100_0509.JPG
Next up a recent addition to my Alchemy set.This is the Alchemy Gothic Black Arcana Deck from 2007.
100_0514.JPG
A old De La Rue Advertising set ,these are advertising the Financial Times Newspaper.
100_0512.JPG
And last a few other newish odds, Another Eric Duan , The Grid by 4PM & Platinum from Elite
100_0517.JPG
I know Elite seems to be churning out the same old same old ,but i think there`s some good ones in amongst it all.
Thanks for looking at my cards :D -Jase-
dazzleguts

Are you going to sharpie any of your black decks J? My Tattoo deck was quite poor, wth the black chipping around the edges right out of the box, so I took a sharpie to it.
Worldwide Time Machine

Jock1971

dazzleguts wrote:Are you going to sharpie any of your black decks J? My Tattoo deck was quite poor, wth the black chipping around the edges right out of the box, so I took a sharpie to it.
Hi there Dazzelguts, I Had seen CBJ`s `Featured Collectors` Thread and the pictures of the Red deck he sharpied, Look`s really good. I haven`t gave it any other thought but now you pointed it out,that Alchemy decks edges do stand out. :o .I`ve a old black deck with no tuck i might try it out on first, see if i can do it without messing the cards up :D -Jase-
dazzleguts

I found it worked best using the side of the sharpie rather than the tip. If you do sharpie the Alchemy deck it would be great to see it. I have the same deck but haven't blackened the edges yet.
Worldwide Time Machine

Jock1971

Still waiting on my Requiem decks :cry: ..I know they are coming though :D
A couple of weeks ago i decided to hit my wish list hard ,starting with Jacksons Federal 52 series,so looked on e-bay . :lol: :lol: nobody in England ,or anywhere else except a couple in America (Gamblers etc) so Gamblers it was i ordered both fed 52 branded & unbranded, thinking i`d do two every couple of weeks incase something happened so i wouldn`t loose to much money in one go. so they are somewhere on the Atlantic.
Monday i looked on e-bay again and 1 person in England had 3 of the others (YES YA BEAUTY) Good prices (Another YES YA BEAUTY) i got all Three.He`s got all Four Holmes decks as well he`s selling. Them are MINE. :D He`S saving them for me till i get some spare change.
100_0509.JPG
100_0510.JPG
Next on my hit list are the Unbranded silver cert & Reserve notes, more than likely from Gambler`s (depends on the Fed 52 decks coming in good order or not) or if no-one else from U.K has them.
Next up today is a bridge set from Waddingtons, this is dated between 1971-1974.Very nice indeed :drool:
100_0511.JPG
And Finally for today another Waddington`s Double.
100_0513.JPG
Once again i thank you for taking the time to look at my cards :D -Jase-
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Sweet stuff! I'm waiting on a couple (maybe 3?) decks of mint Waddingtons and at least a pair of de la Rue - one sealed. I think there's even an Alf Cooke in there, but I know it wasn't sealed. I found a few of them by sponging around in Etsy.com, and I had totally forgotten that they have a lot of British sellers.

Really nice decks, Jace!
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
Jock1971

Mike Ratledge wrote:Sweet stuff! I'm waiting on a couple (maybe 3?) decks of mint Waddingtons and at least a pair of de la Rue - one sealed. I think there's even an Alf Cooke in there, but I know it wasn't sealed. I found a few of them by sponging around in Etsy.com, and I had totally forgotten that they have a lot of British sellers.

Really nice decks, Jace!
Thanks Mike, I got some nice sealed decks coming my way in the next couple of days. Sealed Alf cooke`s are really hard to find over here unless your willing to pay "Top Dollar", or find someone who doesn`t know what they have :D -Jase-
Jock1971

My first deck today, "The Four Elements" created and designed by Miss Siriol Clarry in 1964 specially for John Waddingtons Ltd. Siriol Clarry was an Illustrator who is best known for her work in Children`s books and book covers.
100_0517.JPG
I will be scanning these for the "Worldwide" section, if you would like to see more :D
next up is a Bezique set from Thomas De La Rue. As well as the Two common Ace designs,De La Rue also produced special advertising Aces. Examples being Rufford,Chatsworth & Petham,which were all used as trademarks for cards sold by Boots the chemist c.1930-1955
100_0519.JPG
Both the above cards were in auction on e-bay from the same seller, so i messaged the lady and asked if she would do me a deal and put both on as a buy me now ,and she agreed, i got both for £10+£2.60 P&P :D
next up a couple of sealed Waddington decks,Not much is known about these as i don`t want to open them,the cards are sealed in plastic with the paper tax wrapper over them and through the gaps at the corners i can see the card edges are golden.
100_0523.JPG
And finally today a few more of my newer Decks.
100_0526.JPG
Thank you for looking at my cards -Jase- :D
dazzleguts

I'm looking forward to seeing the four elements deck in worldwide.

Interesting extra cards with that Bezique deck J. Funny that they call the cards 'pneumatic' - I guess for the airflow over the cards?

Isn't that wax paper rather than plastic sealing the last Waddingtons decks?
Worldwide Time Machine

Jock1971

dazzleguts wrote:
Interesting extra cards with that Bezique deck J. Funny that they call the cards 'pneumatic' - I guess for the airflow over the cards?
Hi Dazzelguts :D i always enjoy your comments,as they always send me on a quest to find out more for you.
The extra`s in the de la rue pack are just paper advertising slips apart from the one which shows "whist" rules,which is strange as this is a bezique set.maybe the slips got mixed in with the set at some later date.
IMG.jpg
I Hope you can read the decription on the "pneumatic" cards clearly. I`ve seen a number of these packs scattered about, some have a series letters on them, e.g i`ve seen Series C and Series F decks as well as packs without the series on them.
Here`s a picture of a Goodalls deck c.1925-1950. the "Linette" series is more or less the same as the De le rue "pneumatic" series. Making the cards more easy to deal and to reduce the risk of a mis-deal.
100_0528.JPG
dazzleguts wrote:Isn't that wax paper rather than plastic sealing the last Waddingtons decks?
Yes it is Wax Paper :oops: , i wasn`t trying to mis-lead,my brain just couldn`t come up with the words to describe the wrapping -even though i know what wax paper is. if that makes any sense. :D
Here`s a picture showing two Waddington packs.
100_0529.JPG
The Number 1 being a run of the mill pack is just paper wrapped over the tuck and the cards inside probably won`t be wrapped. this wrapper has been cancelled by a stationer`s,can only see the William part in the name and part of the word stationer`s clearly.
100_0531.JPG
The Patience set however being a more "higher end" produced deck, has the cards wrapped first (it look`s like plastic or cello this time??) and then the paper tax wrapper over this. The wrapper has been cancelled by a John Waddingtons Stamp.
Thanks again for looking at my cards and keeping me on my toes. -Jase- :D