[Jock1971] My Collection

Members are welcome and encouraged to "Show Their Cards" here. Don't be bashful!
Forum rules
  1. Make a new thread. Be sure to put your username in square brackets [] at the beginning of the title.

2. Write a small (or big, if you want) introduction about you, your collection and your collecting habits.

3. Post as many pictures of your decks as you want in your thread, with or without descriptions.
    (But please refrain from posting pictures of your collection in someone else's thread.)

4. Have fun with it, be creative, and check out other users' threads as well :)

shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller
Collector: Yes

Re: [Jock1971] My Collection

Unread post by shermjack »

Great to see you posting your decks again Jase, I always enjoy seeing your acquisitions! :D More please :ugdance:
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
Jock1971

Unread post by Jock1971 »

shermjack wrote:Great to see you posting your decks again Jase, I always enjoy seeing your acquisitions! :D More please :ugdance:
Thank you for the Encouragement shermjack :D .Just don`t get too excited though i don`t want to disappoint :lol:

A couple of Society Brand decks from De La Rue. These are "Slender" cards which are slightly more narrower that bridge size.
1032.JPG
A Starlight deck, Starlight is a charity that grants seriously ill children their most sought after wish.
1033.JPG
A 36 Card deck depicting the standard Paris Pattern made by La Gauloise.
1034.JPG
And last picture is of a Waddington`s Five Hundred set.
1035.JPG
Thanks or looking at my cards :D -jase-
Jock1971

A Visconti-Sforza Tarot set to begin the post.
1036.JPG
A packet of Anglo`s by Offason AB of Oxie in Sweden. This limited edition deck was printed in 2012 and has holographic foil on the Ace`s ,Fives, Court cards and jokers as well as a holographic view of the british city of Newcastle ( :? ) depicted on the back. Standard Anglo cards can be seen in the Sweden section of the worldwide thread.
1037.JPG
A schafkopf-Tarock deck printed by Ass of Germany next.
1038.JPG
And last picture today shows a sealed box-set and single opened deck of Waddingtons Nursery Rhymes dated 1975.
1039.JPG
Thanks for looking at my cards :D -Jase-
Jock1971

I got this bundle yesterday. I was unable to back the first Omnia kickstarter ,so was happy to grab these in the 1st April deal from Thirdway Industries....My thanks to Giovanni :D
1040.JPG
A Simpsons of Piccadilly deck Printed by De La Rue.
1041.JPG
A fun double pack called Diddl Romme,unsure of maker probably German.
1042.JPG
And a 4 deck set from Waddingtons. 2 blue & 2 pink Valstar advertising decks all tax sealed with sample cards.
1043.JPG
Thanks for looking at my cards :D -jase-
Jock1971

An All "Muller" of Switzerland post.
First up is a Swiss-German pack featuring single figure courts.
1044.JPG
Switzerland is unique in that for such a small country ,not only does it have its own Pattern but it also has its own suit system (Bell, Shield, Rose & Acorn).These cards are known as German or Swiss-German cards. And despite the small area of Switzerland cards with French suits are also in use ,these cards are known as Swiss-French cards.
Here`s a double ended version of the Swiss-German Pattern.
1045.JPG
Swiss cards are often referred to as "Jass" or "Jassen" cards after the name of the most popular card game in Switzerland. Jass is played with both Swiss-German and Swiss-French suited cards.
Here`s an example of the Swiss-french suited cards. The courts cards look remarkably like those of the Berlin Pattern.
1046.JPG
And last picture today is a deck that combines both types of Swiss cards in one.
1047.JPG
Jock1971

An all Waddingtons post to start today because i got a few (hundred :lol:) to get through and mainly cause i love em :drool:
First up a Crib-Box set, This set is a later version to the one i already have and has a board instead of a rubber mat.
1048.JPG
A double set with Hunting scenes on the back dated between 1971-1974.
1049.JPG
A couple of advertising decks from the late 1980`s
1050.JPG
And a tax wrapped gilded deck to finish off.
1051.JPG
Jock1971

A full 52 card deck by Reynolds & Sons dated 1830-1840. Featuring a "Old Frizzle" duty Ace and Full figure unturned courts.
1052.JPG
A worshipful company set dated 1996. The set commemorates the centenary of the British motor Industry 1896-1996.
1053.JPG
Patrick Valenza`s "Royal Mischief" playing cards. produced in 2015 by Deviant moon inc.
I got these from their e-bay site a few weeks ago, i can`t find them on their web-site for some reason.
1054.JPG
And last picture today is another sealed gilded deck from Waddingtons, this one has a Barribel back design and dates from the early 1930`s.
1055.JPG
ecNate
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

First, I LOVE that you continue to share your unique decks here. Still wish we could convince (or pay) you to get these all up on Portfolio52, but I understand it's a huge effort since you have so many unique ones. Still hoping though! ;)
Jock1971 wrote:Patrick Valenza`s "Royal Mischief" playing cards. produced in 2015 by Deviant moon inc.
I got these from their e-bay site a few weeks ago, i can`t find them on their web-site for some reason.
Oh, this is exactly the kind of stuff I like! New deck that has old world look and just weird and macabre. ORDERED! Love it, I think I'll create a thread to share with the others.

I found it on his website here - http://www.deviantmoon.com/wordpress/?p=3188
Still one left on ebay, I got the 2nd to last one - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Royal-Mischief- ... 2214652828

I would like to know more about the British motor Industry deck. Is it fully custom, all portraits, just courts custom, any actual car or logo images?
jsantafe

Unread post by jsantafe »

I'm glad this thread is back! It's ond of my favorite one in UC! Keep it up! Thanks, Jase!
JS

Every deck I open makes your sealed one more valuable. You're welcome.
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

jsantafe wrote:I'm glad this thread is back! It's ond of my favorite one in UC! Keep it up! Thanks, Jase!
Totally agree :ugdance: thanks Jase, as always, thanks for showing us your beautiful cards :D and making me spend more money :ugthink: :lol:

Jock1971

WOW thanks for the comments guys :D :D i know people take a look at my thread because the view counter goes up but to get comments from members makes posting worthwhile ....thanks again i appreciate it so much :D
ecNate wrote: Still wish we could convince (or pay) you to get these all up on Portfolio52
My friend........i`ll think about it, but no promises.....i`m still a bit nervous about restarting this thread never mind about Portfolio 52.
ecNate wrote:I would like to know more about the British motor Industry deck. Is it fully custom, all portraits, just courts custom, any actual car or logo images?
All of the Worshipful decks up until 2003 are standard cards from which ever British manufacturer is printing the deck for that year. the 1996 set is printed by Waddingtons (The last set printed for the company by them) and so have the Waddingtons redrawn version of Goodalls courts, which waddingtons used from 1969 -1996.
The packs from 2003-2013( i have seen the backs & aces for the 2014-2015 decks but not the card faces so am unable to comment on those) have reproductions of earlier decks of cards, a couple of examples that i have are posted in the English section of the worldwide thread.
The pack from 2010 (i don`t have ,sorry) would be of interest to you as it marks the 200th anniversary of the first full pack of English Transformation cards called "The streets of London" made around c1811
There is a different Master every year whose portrait is superimposed over the Ace of Spades in every pack. The 1996 master, Michael H Goodall has his portrait over a goodalls Ace to commemorate the long association his family has had with the company (Goodalls printed the companys cards from 1882 to 1922)There is also a special joker included in this set which is an adaption of a Goodalls Whist Scorer issued around 1900.
The back design for the year is determined by the new master and usually involves some major event in Britain that year,although major events from around the world have also been used.The 1996 backs celebrates the 200th anniversary of the British motor industry which was established in 1896 when Harry j Lawson founded the Daimler company in Coventry, The back design by Clive Abbott reflects this by showing the Daimler 4hp (the first "car" produced by the company) and the Daimler Double Six (the latest car in production at that time)

Here`s a picture of the Court cars ,Ace, Special joker and Back design from the 1996 set along with my 2 free transformation cards i got from deviant moon.
1056.JPG
Some more Pictures :D First a pack of Virginia Slims, You`ve come a long way baby.
1057.JPG
Next is a picture of Playing card related Matchbox labels from Germany, A full set of 52 small labels and part set of 18 large labels, Metro Markt is a large Cash & Carry chain in Germany i believe.
1058.JPG
And last picture today is a Double Waddingtons Rondo set, i have both of these decks as individual sets so getting the double set is cool for me.
1059.JPG
Thanks for looking at my cards :D -Jase-
Jock1971

The Inglewood Hunting deck kickstarter arrived yesterday. :D :D
Designed by Ian Cumpstey and inspired by the early german hunting decks.
1060.JPG
Goodall Historic playing cards was initially produced in 1893 and had several reprints which featured different back designs and indices. The large indices on my cards indicates this is one of the later reprints.The court cards depict different royal costumes from four periods of british history.
1061.JPG
A novelty deck advertising Hot-dogs called grilla-dog. 8-)
1062.JPG
And a few Beautiful Britain decks from Waddingtons, The coloured back one is from the third series and dates from 1926 the other two are from the fourth series dating from 1927-1929.
1063.JPG
Jock1971

An all Waddingtons post featuring cards from the fourth "Beautiful Britain" series dated 1927-1929.
The first Beautiful series began in August of 1924 and was subsidised by the Great Western Railway, These packs carried the name or initials of the railway company on the back of the cards along with monochrome pictures in sepia and green of the more populaar scenic locations along the railway route. The series was a success and helped Waddingtons,who had only just begun producing playing cards,rapidly grow in the playing card industry.
1064.JPG
In 1925 Great Western Railway withdrew their sponsorship but the series continued and was sponsored by the London and North Eastern Railway from 1926 to 1929. The second series was printed in colour and with ornate panels at each end with the new railways name in a scroll. A special Ace of spades was also introduced with two slightly different versions, the second version having a scroll at the base of the spade motif with the slogan "Kings cross for scotland, shortest and quickest" printed on it. A third series also in colour but with the Railways name inside a solid black border at each end was printed in 1926.
1065.JPG
The General Strike of 1926 adversely affected Waddingtons well-being and in 1927 the more expensive colour printed backs was replaced with monochrome designs in sepia or blue-green on a lighter background. The fourth Beautiful Britain series had two different designs ,one with dotted borders and one with a continuous border, both had the railways name printed inside the borders at each end.In 1929 the London and North Eastern Railway withdrew their sponsorship, However Waddingtons continued with the series and in 1930 produced Series five which had a broken border around the whole of the back ,but without the L.N.E.R name on either end. This series was reprinted four times between 1931 and 1935 with some scenes omitted from some of the reprints(only 5 scenes were reprinted in 1933).
1066.JPG
In 1938 for the sixth and final series the back design was changes to a monochrome picture with a border of one thick and one thin line on two sides of the picture , there is at least sixteen different designs in the series with each design having at least four differnt colour combinations.
1067.JPG
Jock1971

Last post today begins with a Special Edition Worshipful company deck. This pack was printed in 1897 to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria. Between 1882 and the present day the company has only produced Ten special edition packs along with their annual installation packs.
1068.JPG
The Seven Seas Kickstarter from Brain Vessel that i got a few months back.
1069.JPG
Three more very large Playing card related Matchbox labels made in France.
1070.JPG
And last picture is a double "Beautiful Britain" set from Waddingtons, These are from the Sixth series dated 1938.
1071.JPG
Bruno
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Bruno »

Well .... The Prospect of Whitby .... !

But those Worshipful Diamond Jubilee's take th' cake, Jase ....

Thanks for your posts !
O, I beg of you your comprehensions,
yet laugh at your contempts ....
my only competition is with myselves.

But Lèse-majesté, especially >Normans, natch.

Is jarnstill the Ars of the Hors Nebulous ?
Neigh .... the Effluxor of the Omniverse ??
Jock1971

Thanks for the comments Bruno
Bruno wrote:Well .... The Prospect of Whitby .... !
With sand between my toes and a bucket full of prawn`s in my hand :D
Bruno wrote:But those Worshipful Diamond Jubilee's take th' cake, Jase ....
I`m really excited to have this deck...the seller placed this on e-bay as "commemoration playing cards" :lol: :lol:
His loss my gain...i seen a pack last year without the box and cards being well used , go for £135....because the seller didn`t advertise this properly i got it at a steal for £17...... :o :o ..yes... i`m well chuffed
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Jock1971 wrote:
Bruno wrote:But those Worshipful Diamond Jubilee's take th' cake, Jase ....
I`m really excited to have this deck...the seller placed this on e-bay as "commemoration playing cards" :lol: :lol:
His loss my gain...i seen a pack last year without the box and cards being well used , go for £135....because the seller didn`t advertise this properly i got it at a steal for £17...... :o :o ..yes... i`m well chuffed
I agree that that Worshipful Diamond Jubilee is an awesome find and steal at that! Love the courts of the deck. Congrats Jase and as always, thanks for sharing! :ugdance:

Jock1971

shermjack wrote: Love the courts of the deck. Congrats Jase and as always, thanks for sharing!
Thanks for comments shermjack :D
i agree the courts are quite beautiful, the Goodall design is one of the most adapted/copied courts in the world.

Here are some cards,
First a kickstarter from a while back, the Murphy Varnish transformation decks.
1072.JPG
Harry Margary`s 2004 facsimile of Lenthalls Fortune Telling Cards No XVIII dated from 1714,which in turn was a copy of James Moxon`s Astrology pack dated 1676.
1073.JPG
ROK published by Grimaud in 1972, this double advertising pack was designed by James Hodges for Roquettes & Fils
1074.JPG
And a double advertising set by Waddingtons to finish
1075.JPG
Jock1971

A double pack from the Royal society of St George commemorating the 200th Anniversary of the Battle of Trafalgar.
Printed by Richard Edwards in 2005.
1076.JPG
This limited edition deck produced by U.S.P.C.C celebrates the 50th anniversary of the Charles Darwin foundation on the Galapagos Islands.
1077.JPG
A Lo Scarabeo deck from 2004 titled Queen Victoria. The faces are a reproduction of an Liberty & Beef deck c.1810.
The Garter Ace shown is a special Exportation ace with banana leaves growing from the right side of the garter and left side of the crown instead of laurel leaves all around.
1078.JPG
And last picture today is a Elephantide insulation advertising deck by waddingtons with special designed Ace.
1079.JPG
Thanks for looking at my cards :D -jase=
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Really love that Charles Darwin deck! :drool: Another deck to put on the list :ugthink:

Jock1971

shermjack wrote:Really love that Charles Darwin deck! :drool: Another deck to put on the list :ugthink:
Got my hands on more, Have posted on the New & Custom Thread (PM`d you)

Lotrek`s Sacred Edition Icons deck arrived this morning :D :D :drool:
1080.JPG
"Trappola", Piatnik Edition No.2862 dated 1995. This is a reprint of one of their own decks from the early 1900`s.
1081.JPG
A couple of Miniature decks from D.Harper & Co.
I have No information about these cards, most probably Antique (early 20th century)
1082.JPG
And last picture today is a sealed double advertising deck made by Waddingtons.
1083.JPG
Jock1971

Le Chat Rouge Kickstarter arrived this morning :drool: :drool: Another awesome deck from Lorenzo :D
1084.JPG
A sealed Worshipful company deck from 1964, Celebrating Shakespeare`s Quatercentenary. Printed by De La Rue.
1085.JPG
Les Geants D`un Mythe, Printed by Grimaud in 1983.
1086.JPG
And a double set and the 1976 Calendar deck from Waddingtons to finish the post.
1087.JPG
Jock1971

An all Waddingtons post starting with a very hard to find deck from 1946 titled "Unique style Playing Cards" The cards have a plain off-white back and measure`s 50mm x 82mm .The courts depict the Trente et quarante pattern. This is the second version of these cards, the first from 1930 was titled "Casino Series No.4444" and had no indices.
1088.JPG
A tax wrapped double "Coronation" set dating from 1953.
1089.JPG
A pair of Beautiul Britain decks from the 5th Series, these cards have the second version of the L.N.E.R Ace of spades with the scroll around the bottom.
1090.JPG
And last picture today is a pair of advertising decks.
1091.JPG
Jock1971

Luxx Elliptica arrived this morning, i got set No.34 :drool: :drool:
1092.JPG
A double Jacob`s Bible set made by the Lion Playing Card Factory in Tel Aviv, Isreal.
1093.JPG
A couple of Cheap and Nasty decks from China.
1094.JPG
And a pair of Waddington decks from between 1930-1933, featuring Barribal back designs.
1095.JPG
Jock1971

Luxus Skatkarte, Made by Van Genechten of Belgium in 1946.
1096.JPG
A South Africa Airways advertising set, Made by the Protea Playing Card Company of Johannesburg.
1097.JPG
A couple of Modern decks. The Teufelskerl & Tzolk`in decks were both Kickstarters.
1098.JPG
A Amalgamated Company deck from 1969-1971, This is of interest to me because it has De La Rue Jokers instead of the usual Waddingtons.
1099.JPG
Jock1971

All Waddingtons post starting with a double pictorial set.
1100.JPG
A Frank Love Advertising double next.
1101.JPG
A pair of 5th series Beautiful Britain decks.
1102.JPG
And last picture today is a Daily Telegraph advertising double in its original postage box. I already have the Red & Blue Colour backs in a set i got a while back,so the green & Brown makes the whole set.
1103.JPG
Jock1971

I got the Stranglelove deck as a Birthday gift from a wonderful and generous friend. :D :D
1104.JPG
An Art deck from Russia, The faces are Palekh & Kholui style miniatures depicting scenes from Russian Folk and Fairy tales.
1105.JPG
An advertising deck from Esselte Obergs AB of Sweden.
1106.JPG
And last picture today is a couple of advertising decks from Waddingtons.
1107.JPG
jsantafe

Unread post by jsantafe »

Hi Jase! First, as I've stated before, I love your posts!
I wanted to ask you about the Home Run replicas, what do you think about them and if you have any original (Murphy Varnish, Triplicates, Quadruplicates).
Thanks!
JS

Every deck I open makes your sealed one more valuable. You're welcome.
Jock1971

jsantafe wrote:Hi Jase! First, as I've stated before, I love your posts!
I wanted to ask you about the Home Run replicas, what do you think about them and if you have any original (Murphy Varnish, Triplicates, Quadruplicates).
Thanks!
I peronally love what Michael Scott is doing. Any kind of repro deck or facsimilie is great by me because its the only way to get a copy of decks that can no longer be found and if you could find them they are really expensive.
i like the fact that Michael is reproducing decks that are historically important . I`m pretty bummed out about the Euchre deck not being funded as that was the first deck to ever have jokers..hopefully he will try that one again.
I have not any of the originals...way to expensive if i could find any that is..but i do have some English decks of the same period. I recently posted a deck from 1830-1840 with the "Old Frizzle" Ace and am now looking to get a deck from the late 1700`s-1812 with the "Garter Ace" but the cheapest i`ve seen of these deck comes in around £400-£500 so it may be some time before i get one :lol: :lol: problem is there is always something else to buy instead.
Here are some cards :D
i Got the UC 2016 Deck in today.
1108.JPG
Harry margary`s facsimilie of Cowell`s Transformation deck called Metatasis dated 1811.(not to be confused with S.J Fullers transformation deck with the same name and from the same period).
1109.JPG
Another Reproduction deck, L Cohens Highlanders.
1110.JPG
And last picture today is a standard Waddingtons double pack from 1971-1974.
1111.JPG
Jock1971

"Tiroler Tarock" Piatnik Edition No.2849. this 78 card set is a reproduction of a deck designed by Jakob Piazidus Altmutter and was manufactured by Johann Albrecht of Innsbruck, Austria in 1815.
1112.JPG
Magna Carta , these were a kickstarter i got a while back.
1113.JPG
A reproduction of an early Italian Piacentine deck designed by Guills Regni in 1885. Printed by Ediciones del Prado in 2004.
1114.JPG
And a pair of advertising decks by Waddingtons to finish.
1115.JPG