[Jock1971] My Collection

Members are welcome and encouraged to "Show Their Cards" here. Don't be bashful!
Forum rules
  1. Make a new thread. Be sure to put your username in square brackets [] at the beginning of the title.

2. Write a small (or big, if you want) introduction about you, your collection and your collecting habits.

3. Post as many pictures of your decks as you want in your thread, with or without descriptions.
    (But please refrain from posting pictures of your collection in someone else's thread.)

4. Have fun with it, be creative, and check out other users' threads as well :)

Jock1971
Collector: Yes

Re: [Jock1971] My Collection

Unread post by Jock1971 »

Commemorative Olympic Playing Cards Published by Stanley Gibbons Antiquarian. Limited edition printed by Waddingtons in 1979.
1438.JPG
Two single packs from Waddingtons featuring views of London on the backs.
1439.JPG
A double pack from Waddingtons dated around 1971-1974.
1440.JPG
And a Cir-Q-Lar deck from Waddingtons advertising The Grand Hotel in Sheffield to finish today.
1441.JPG
Thanks for looking at my cards :D -jase-
dazzleguts
Player: Yes
White Whale: Das Kartenspiel Des Oberdeutsc
Decks Owned: 885

Unread post by dazzleguts »

Nice Cir-Q-Lar! That looks like an earlier deck than my clockwork back ones.
Do you know a date on it Jase? Great that you found decks from the cooperation of De La Rue and Waddingtons. That must have been a good friendship as the association lasted so long. Hard to imagine that happening now.

I always love seeing those A Todos Alumbra, and the simple and delicate, but solid, design of the boxes. The colours are gorgeous too. Partly age and partly how inks used to be.

Interesting treatment of the European 4 indices on the Sima-Land, and I like the back.

More, more! :ugdance:
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"
Jock1971

dazzleguts wrote:Nice Cir-Q-Lar! That looks like an earlier deck than my clockwork back ones.
Do you know a date on it Jase?
Hi there Dazzelguts :D i remember you asking about the dates for cir-q-lar decks before, these are from the first printing from the 1930`s which ended at the beginning of WWII due to paper shortages, any cir-q-lar cards with the sit down joker or "All British make" on the ace of spades are from the first printings. Any cir-q-lar cards with the stand up jokers are from the 1950`s onwards ,i`m not sure when they finished printing these ,but they are in the 80`s cataloques,so i presume they kept printing them until the Hasbro takeover in the 90`s.
dazzleguts wrote: Great that you found decks from the cooperation of De La Rue and Waddingtons. That must have been a good friendship as the association lasted so long. Hard to imagine that happening now.
The two men (who were poles apart socially) first met in the early 1930`s when Bernard Westall decided to met both Alf Cooke and Victor Watson about Price Fixing. He met with Alf Cooke first then Victor Watson, In that meeting they agreed that price fixing would eventually destroy the competitive edge of both businesses and make them vunerable to attack from others. Instead they instituted an Annual Cricket match and other sports days so that employees from both companies would get to know one another and compete fairly with each other.
As you say i doubt that would happen nowadays.
dazzleguts wrote:I always love seeing those A Todos Alumbra, and the simple and delicate, but solid, design of the boxes. The colours are gorgeous too. Partly age and partly how inks used to be.
Yeah i love`em , The cards came in paper wrappers, which are a little delicate, i`ve only removed the cards twice for fear of the wrappers falling apart. :lol: :lol:
dazzleguts wrote:More, more!
How`s about these....
I got this kickstarter in yesterday. Wood Deck by Max playing cards. The second in his Textile series ,can`t wait to see what Max comes up with next :D
1446.JPG
A Goodall and Sons Bezique deck from c.1863-1870. This is the first Goodalls "Own" Ace of spades design which is based on the "Old Frizzle" Ace of Spades. there are a couple of versions of this Ace ,all identical except the Lettering, this one is the second version which came out in 1863 a year after the first version, all version ran until 1870.
1447.JPG
Peace made by Elaine Lewis dated 2003. 32 cards plus 2 jokers and a title card.
1448.JPG
And a double advertising deck by Waddingtons to finish today :D
1449.JPG
Bruno
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Bruno »

Sublime ....
Thanks Jase !
Love the address on your Shell Mex House pair .... White Waltham for Fairey !
The Walrus/Swordfish pair too ....yum.
Can I say, I have a Stranraer/Spitfire pairing, in a twin lidded box .... which was once entirely sealed, prob. from '39 ....
Not sealed now, tho' tax wrapped still.
Aviation Decks, all right !
Thanks for your Russian Compilation too mate, amazing details ....
O, I beg of you your comprehensions,
yet laugh at your contempts ....
my only competition is with myselves.

But Lèse-majesté, especially >Normans, natch.

Is jarnstill the Ars of the Hors Nebulous ?
Neigh .... the Effluxor of the Omniverse ??
Jock1971

Thanks for the Comments Bruno :D
Here`s The 2005 Worshipful Company`s Installation set celebrating the Bicentenary of the Battle Of Trafalgar.
The Faces are a reproduction of a Hardy pack from around 1805 which was when James Hardy was Master of the company.
1450.JPG
A double advertising deck from Coeur of Germany ,date unknown. The Faces are called "Salon Karte No.66" and were designed by Walter Kraus in 1968.
1451.JPG
The Teddy Deck designed by Peter Wood. Printed by Piatnik in 2005.
1452.JPG
And a double Waddingtons to finish today.
1453.JPG
Jock1971

The DEDALO Kickstarter from Thirdway Industries arrived Today :drool:
1454.JPG
A new book for the collection.Transformation Playing Cards By Albert Field Published in 1987.
208 Page paperback featuring 77 decks dated from 1801 through to 1987 ,Extensive Black and white illustrations with 8 full colour pages.
1455.JPG
Facsimilie of Holz-Karte (Preussisches Bild) printed by Christian Theodor Sutor around 1840-1850.
This edition was produced in 1987 by Franz-josef Holler for the Museum fur deutsche Volkskunde, Berlin.
1456.JPG
And a sealed double set from Waddingtons to finish today.
1457.JPG
Jock1971

A Willis Bezique Set.Willis only produced cards for eighteen years between 1869 and 1887.
1458.JPG
Zodiaque designed by Youdi Des Aubrys and printed by Grimaud in 1980.
1459.JPG
Russian Beer designed and produced by Alexi Orleansky in 2006.
1460.JPG
And a couple of Advertising decks from Waddingtons to finish today.
1461.JPG
dazzleguts

Beautiful cards, as always Jase! Especially the Holz and Zodiaque decks :drool:
Amazing Bezique set too - the Willis designs are so fine and nicely balanced. I love the light blue line work.

Do you have a shelf full of books now?
Worldwide Time Machine

Jock1971

dazzleguts wrote:Beautiful cards, as always Jase! Especially the Holz and Zodiaque decks
Amazing Bezique set too - the Willis designs are so fine and nicely balanced. I love the light blue line work.
Thanks Dazzelguts :D you can see the full court cards from the zodiaque deck in the french section of worldwide there are also scans of the willis court in the Enland section as well, the Holz is a recent purchase so have not had time to scan them yet as i`m working on something "big" for worldwide (as you know ;) )
dazzleguts wrote:Do you have a shelf full of books now?
Yes....if the shelf is 10 inch long :lol: :lol: Still looking out for Part one of the Waddington collection by John Berry

Here`s a few Carta mundi decks to pass the time.
Val de Loire designed by Mateja. Don`t know when carta mundi printed these but they were originally produced in 1968 by Le Triboulet and Malherbe.
1462.JPG
A William Lawson`s advertising deck produced in the 1980`s. Love the modified clothing on the court cards.(scans in the scotland section of worldwide)
1463.JPG
Quadrilato, a 40 card Belgium pattern pack for the game Scopa. The Ace of Diamonds has the Upprint "Tibgu Tunisiya" (Tobacco Tunesia)
1464.JPG
And a double advertising deck from Waddingtons to finish today.
1465.JPG
Jock1971

A couple of days late, but here are a few posts to celebrate my 3rd Anniversary of joining UnitedCardists.
Starting off with a all Waddingtons post .....Obviously :twisted:
Fassett`s No-revoke Pack, unsure of actual date but the court cards date the deck from 1930-1938. The box and cards are a bit grubby, but i`m really excited to have a copy of this hard to find deck.
1466.JPG
A tax wrapped double deck advertising Manchester Liners.
1467.JPG
Unique Style Playing Cards. i already have a pack of these without the tuck (Scans and info in the England section of worldwide). Again i am very pleased to find a deck with the tuck.
1468.JPG
And a couple of advertising decks to finish the post.
1469.JPG
Jock1971

This post contains all Antique decks
Starting with a full 52 card pack from Hunt & Sons, Single figure Standard English woodblock pattern Type 1 with stencilled colouring. George the 3rd "Garter Ace" Plate No.35 which dates the deck to 1812.
1470.JPG
A De La Rue Bezique deck (32 cards). Post frizzle Ace with unturned courts ,which dates the deck between 1862-1870.
1471.JPG
Great Mogul printed and published by L. Biermans of Belgium c.1890`s
1472.JPG
And a James English Bezique deck to finish, this variation of the Ace of spades (& Co added to James English)dates the deck between 1873 and 1885.
1473.JPG
Jock1971

Russian decks for this post. Starting off with "Gzhel" designed by Irina Bordey and published by Zadira in 2006.
The deck takes its name from and is inspired by a type of Russian ceramics.
1474.JPG
"Sea Deck" published by Presentprom in 2016. I don`t know the designer i`m afraid :cry:
1475.JPG
"Atlas" published by Zadira in 2015. The courts a redrawing of the classic Atlas cards were designed by Irina Bordey.
1476.JPG
And Finally a pack of "Slavic" cards produced by The Colour Printing Plant of St Petersburg in 1997.
1477.JPG
Jock1971

And with this post its back to the usual 3 decks & a waddingtons to finish 8-)
First off is a Karl Gretch "Nursery Rhymes" Transformation deck produced for the 10th Anniversary of the English Playing Card Society.
1478.JPG
"Icelandic" designed by Gudmundur Thorstensson .This set published by V.A.S.S of Germany in 1977 is a reprint of a deck originally called "Islensk L`Hombre Spil No.1" that was published by Bjorni P. Magnusson of Reykjavik in 1923.
1479.JPG
A couple of Standard decks from Paul Lamont Games of the U.K.
1480.JPG
And a double Waddingtons set to finish off today.i just love the dog`s eyes :ugthink:
1481.JPG
flashcards
Cardist: Yes
Decks Owned: 600

Unread post by flashcards »

Jase,

I've been very intrigued by the many beautiful Russian decks you have posted and wanted to get one for myself. I'd been looking at some on Ebay but they all cost a bit more than I was willing to pay. Last week I was in our local Goodwill second hand shop and I came across a Russian deck opened but in perfect condition! The cost; one dollar. I was beyond excited. There is no English on the box so I have idea where they came from. When I get a chance I'll scan them. I'd like to send the pics to you and see if you can tell me anything about them.

Without your postings, I probably wouldn't have looked twice at them. Thanks for providing so much inspiration. Now I just have to find a Waddingtons deck!
mook
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 18

Unread post by mook »

Jock,

I am in awe. What a collection! Thanks for sharing (I assume!) SOME of it with us all!
What IS a mook?
Jock1971

flashcards wrote:Jase,

I've been very intrigued by the many beautiful Russian decks you have posted and wanted to get one for myself. I'd been looking at some on Ebay but they all cost a bit more than I was willing to pay. Last week I was in our local Goodwill second hand shop and I came across a Russian deck opened but in perfect condition! The cost; one dollar. I was beyond excited. There is no English on the box so I have idea where they came from. When I get a chance I'll scan them. I'd like to send the pics to you and see if you can tell me anything about them.

Without your postings, I probably wouldn't have looked twice at them. Thanks for providing so much inspiration. Now I just have to find a Waddingtons deck!
Hiya Flashcards :D
So glad my thread has given you some inspiration :D that`s what its all about.
I would love to see the deck you brought and help you if i can...just post it here if you like ,so everyone can have a look, and i`ll try and give as much info i can or if someone else knows about them they can chime in.
mook wrote:Jock,

I am in awe. What a collection! Thanks for sharing (I assume!) SOME of it with us all!
Thanks for the comment`s Mook :D My collection is mainly in boxes :cry: i have no display case`s like your homemade one ,which i am impressed with by the way 8-) .

Here`s some more cards
First up a Worshipful company installation pack from 1991 celebrating the 500th anniversary of Henry the 8th`s birthday.
1482.JPG
A couple of modern decks next
1483.JPG
Milanesi Plastificate by Del Negro of Italy
1484.JPG
And finally a double advertising deck from Waddingtons.
1485.JPG
dazzleguts

:drool: :drool: :drool:
An avalanche of decks has hit the Jase thread...

That Hunt & Sons Garter Ace deck is fantastic!
Over 200 years old :shock:
I would be over the moon just having an early deck with the Hewson courts.
:ugdance: Congratulations on your third anniversary here, and thank you for sharing this great find! :D

Also impressed you have the EPCS transformation deck.
I like the back on your Slavic deck. That's the first design back, rather than pictorial, that I remember seeing with that deck.

Was the "Unique Style" deck sold in England with those courts because of war time shortages?

I'm curious about the Biermans Great Mogul. From the wear on your cards it looks like the paper is rough on the faces? That's the same as my Aurelia decks from some years later (likely by Van Genechten), which were intended for sale in India. Do you know if yours was also an export deck? I thought that the rough paper was only used on the less expensive exports, especially decks sold to be burnt temple offerings in India. Also, does yours have smooth backs? I originally thought it was a thin paper applied to the uncuct sheets, but looking again now, with a loupe, the paper surface seems to have the same quality as the fronts, only smoothed by ink. What does it look like on your deck?

Great decks Jase. I look forward to seeing some of them in the Worldwide, along with a particular Grand entry that is coming ;)
Worldwide Time Machine

Jock1971

Hiya Dazzelguts :D
I`m very pleased to have the Garter Ace Pack, It`s been on my "to do list" for a while. And the EPCS deck by karl grech was a lucky find, a bit expensive..maybe, but i thought it may be the only time i`d get a chance at buying one as so few were made.
Yes that`s the first Slavic deck i`ve seen with a geometic pattern on the back as well, My other Slavic decks have the picture of the Russian Hero on his white horse.
The Unique Style deck was sold in england during the war ,As well as my Daily Sketch Pack with the Paris pattern court`s, This was due to a shortage of Paper arriving from Scandinavia.
I`ve Compared the cards from the Biermans deck and from the Aurella box set and they are basically the same kind of rough card, although the biermans back is not as smooth as the cards from the aurelia set. The Aurelia Box set seems to have been printed better than the biermans with sharper clearer images and the paint being clear and solid as opossed to the slightly fuzzy outlines and the splotchy colouring of the Biermans. I`m not sure if they were intended for export, but judging by card stock and quality of printing i`d say they were for burning.

Here`s some Waddingtons :D
A cool Bridge set to Begin.
1486.JPG
A double Barrel shaped Advertising set
1487.JPG
A double set from the Past Masters Series
1488.JPG
And finally a double and a single deck to finish today.
1489.JPG
flashcards

Here is the Russian deck I picked up for a dollar. I'm sorry the tuck front is so dark. I tried to lighten up the text as much as possible. I'm hoping that Jase, or anyone else, can give us some information on it. Thanks.

dazzleguts

You can see this deck in the Russian thread of our Worldwide:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=5725
Towards the bottom of the first page. Lots of info there from Idoctor.

The original deck was issued at a world expo of 1937. Your deck is one of the 150 year anniversary ones, for the St. Petersburg/Leningrad factory, which has itself been reprinted many times in that box style. In the lower right corner of the box front is I-??r. I can't distinguish it in your scan but the 2 numbers are the year your particular deck was printed.

It's a beautiful deck that has been reprinted many many times. Good find getting it in one of the anniversary sets.
flashcards

Thanks for the info Dazzleguts! I believe the date on the box is '77. I didn't think or care if the deck was rare or not. I'm just happy to finally have one of those beautiful Russian decks Jase is always showing. I'll head over to the Russian page and check it out. BTW, do you know if it is already in P52 and if so, what I should search for to find it?

Edit: I found it on P52 under Palekh, Black
dazzleguts

:) Glad to help.
I know Jase was busy - you should check out the posting of the Mamluk cards that Jase made in the Egypt thread of Worldwide. :shock:
Jock1971

Hiya Flashcards :D
The Palekh deck was the one that turned me on to Russian decks in the first place, a real beauty. i would love to get a pack that was printed by the St Petersburg factory (hopefully i will find one at a good price)
A great find at only a dollar 8-)
I believe you are looking at the wrong date for your pack. The number to look at is at the very bottom on the right.
Like dazzelguts i just can`t make it out,It looks to me like l-82r which means it is from 1982.
Many thanks to my time-travelling buddy Dazzelguts for helping out with the information on the palekh deck :D

Here`s some cards.
"Das Soldaten Tarock" Piatnik edition No.286599, Printed in 2009.
This deck is a reprint of a deck printed by paitnik in 1918 titled "Allerfeinste Soldat-Tarock"
1490.JPG
A pair of Gustav Klimt Boxsets from Piatnik. Adele (No.250347) Fritza (No.250149)
Both sets have Piatniks own Standard English Pattern court cards.
1491.JPG
Great Russian Standard ,Printed by Piatnik No.2133.
This set reprints a pair of Atlas Decks from between 1860 to 1917.The Jokers are Piatnik`s own.
1492.JPG
"Buern-schnapser" Printed by Piatnik No.1756.The cards from this set show the Austro-Czech version of the Wilhelm Tell Pattern.
1493.JPG
Jock1971

And a few Waddingtons
This first set has gilded edges, The anonymous Ace used on their higher-range cards and the first joker, used by waddingtons up until 1942.
1494.JPG
A nice double set still with the Tax-wrappers.
1495.JPG
Another double set
1496.JPG
And a couple of advertising decks to finish today.
1497.JPG
dazzleguts

Nice catch on the date Jase. That part with the OCT really looks like an October date in English, but it must be some other designation since it appears on the white Palekh that nECrO posted at the beginning of the Russia thread, as well as on my white and black Palekh decks, always with OCT but different #s.

The "Das Soldaten Tarock" is beautiful. Very painterly. Love how they made the images full card to really show that off. Looks like WW1 was the subject?
Worldwide Time Machine

Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

So I came upon this seller on this one vintage selling website, who has a large collection of vintage decks for sale (for pretty high prices).

I just thought that Jase and others reading this thread might find something interesting from there. Anyways here's the link: https://www.rubylane.com/shop/twoforhisheels/ilist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
Jock1971

dazzleguts wrote:Nice catch on the date Jase. That part with the OCT really looks like an October date in English, but it must be some other designation since it appears on the white Palekh that nECrO posted at the beginning of the Russia thread, as well as on my white and black Palekh decks, always with OCT but different #s
Hiya Dazzelguts, Yes very confusing :ugthink: i thought that was an actual date when i first started getting the decks as well. If you look at my "slavic" deck from the previous page, it has a prefix of TY instead of the OCT.Not sure what it means. But the actual dating of the deck is from the L-##r At the bottom left corner.
dazzleguts wrote:The "Das Soldaten Tarock" is beautiful. Very painterly. Love how they made the images full card to really show that off. Looks like WW1 was the subject?
I agree a beauty for sure , The courts are truly remarkable and the 21 tarok cards are stunning, yes the paintings are from the great war. I`m always gutted when i can only show so many of the cards...but thats what the Worldwide Time Machine forum is for ;) aintitso
Räpylätassu wrote:So I came upon this seller on this one vintage selling website, who has a large collection of vintage decks for sale (for pretty high prices).

I just thought that Jase and others reading this thread might find something interesting from there. Anyways here's the link: https://www.rubylane.com/shop/twoforhisheels/ilist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the link Roope. :D :D Always good to see these sellers site`s, even if its for price comparison..
I had a quick look, will take a good look when i`ve got some time off, While the prices may be high ,i have seen higher but then i have seen a lot lower as well...Who knows there may be that "ONE" deck that i`ve been looking for, thats worth (for me anyway) spending that little bit extra.

Here`s some Cherry Coloured Funk.
First up is a De La Rue Piquet set. 36 cards per deck with both decks having the same back design and colour, D6 court cards with Medium size index dates the deck from 1890 to 1910.
1498.JPG
Next is Jass Plus printed by AGMuller of Switzerland. The deck was designed by Muster Geschutzt in 2001
Scans of the full set of court cards can be seen in the switzerland section of the Worldwide time machine.
1499.JPG
Rockwell International. I have not been able to find any info on these beauties i`m afraid .American printer i think?? The court cards are fantastic.. shame about the back :roll:
1500.JPG
And finally today a pair of "named" Barribal backs from Waddingtons dated around 1932-1940.
1501.JPG
Jock1971

Got these MPC Impression Kickstarter decks in yesterday.
1502.JPG
The 1989 worshipful company installation set. Celebrating the 800th anniversary of the City Of London having a Lord Mayor. the backs, one yellow border and one light blue border shows a portrait of the first Lord Mayor, Henry Fitzalkine Knight, Approx 500 packs were made.
1503.JPG
Sharp`s Oracle, printed by Nintendo of Japan in 1966. The courts are repeating unfortunately.
1504.JPG
And finally today a double advertising set from Waddingtons.
1505.JPG
dazzleguts

Love the Spade Ace in the Oracle deck.
The courts all look like zombies with those blank eyes. :shock:
Also qualifies as a no-revoke deck with the 4 pip colours.
Great find Jase!
Worldwide Time Machine

Jock1971

dazzleguts wrote:Love the Spade Ace in the Oracle deck.
The courts all look like zombies with those blank eyes.
Also qualifies as a no-revoke deck with the 4 pip colours.
Great find Jase!
Hey Buddy..Thanks,yeh the one Nintendo deck that i was on the lookout for...i just happened to find after discussing it with you in a PM after about a year of looking...you must be my lucky charm
:idea: By the way i`m would really like a pack of Waddingtons with the first discarded Ace....(well you never know)

Here`s a few sheets of Paper
1506.JPG
In the latter half of the nineteenth century several German publishers assembled into portfolios as many as a hundred large, full-colour sheets of pictures of unrelated subjects.The Munich firm of K. Braun and Fr. Schneider in 1852 published "Munchner Bilderbogen"(Munich Picture Sheets), which included a transformation pack with one suit per sheet.
1507.JPG
It is not known who invented the designs and made the pictures, but the initials "JB" appear on seventeen of the cards. Sometimes the sheets can be found without colour.
The printing was done by at least four printers, and each sheet had a short poem in German, Dutch or English. There were at least eight editions in German.
1508.JPG
The English-language edition was numbered 21,22,23,24 and has two sets of names at the bottom of the sheets.
on the left - Leipzig: William Engelmann and on the right - London: A.S. Joseph, Myers & Co - William Tegg & Co. It would seem that the English-language sheets were printed in Germany but distributed by several publishers in London.
1509.JPG