[Jock1971] My Collection

Members are welcome and encouraged to "Show Their Cards" here. Don't be bashful!
Forum rules
  1. Make a new thread. Be sure to put your username in square brackets [] at the beginning of the title.

2. Write a small (or big, if you want) introduction about you, your collection and your collecting habits.

3. Post as many pictures of your decks as you want in your thread, with or without descriptions.
    (But please refrain from posting pictures of your collection in someone else's thread.)

4. Have fun with it, be creative, and check out other users' threads as well :)

Jock1971
Collector: Yes

Re: [Jock1971] My Collection

Unread post by Jock1971 »

The Colonial Unrest Kickstarter from R.J Tomlinson came in yesterday. :D
602.JPG
I`m not sure why i went with the signed decks :? Oh well gives me an excuse to get some more to open :D
A couple of Venise Simplon - Orient Express decks next .
The first one is from 1984. The pack was designed by the studio of Gerard Gallet and printed by Grimauld of France.
604.JPG
The next one again by Grimauld is a reprint of an earlier pack from 1890 titled "Indiennes" which had no indices.
Reprinted specially for VSOE in 1985 with indices added.
603.JPG

I would like to ask for Help in locating another Venise Simplon - Orient Express deck. The one i`m searching for was produced by Waddingtons in 1990. If you Have/find this deck i would be willing to buy or trade (That`s if your willing to part with it ) The cards can be see here.
http://www.wopc.co.uk/waddingtons/orient-express.html

And a couple of Waddingtons to finish off today.
605.JPG
Thanks for looking at my cards :D -jase-
Jock1971

Got my "Run" by Jason Brumbalow a couple of days ago...NICE :drool:
607.JPG
A worshipful Company Double from 1954, Printed by De La Rue.
608.JPG
Peter Woods 2000 pips, signed and numbered (No.645) on the inside of the top flap.
609.JPG
And a cool "Peacock" backed double set from Waddingtons to finish off.
610.JPG
Jock1971

The second in CPC`s 1000 deck series titled Royal Scarlet.
611.JPG
A worshipful Company double,this one`s from 1970 and was printed by Waddingtons.
612.JPG
A double deck from Grimauld of France advertising Skil Power Tools, Courts are kida cute :)
613.JPG
And last today a single Waddingtons in a Funky box.
614.JPG
dazzleguts
Player: Yes
White Whale: Das Kartenspiel Des Oberdeutsc
Decks Owned: 885

Unread post by dazzleguts »

I love that funky box Jase, it looks like cells viewed through a microscope.

You have amazing variety in your collection - how many decks do you think you have now?
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"
Jock1971

dazzleguts wrote: You have amazing variety in your collection - how many decks do you think you have now?
Hey there Dazzelguts , I`m not really too sure on how may decks i have.Too many and not enough :lol:
Here`s a selection of books that have been recently purchased so i can brush up a bit on my knowledge, i`ve a couple of others but will post pictures of them with some decks later.
100_2134.JPG
A couple of double Coca Cola decks next.
100_2135.JPG
After putting 4 lots of cards together, i`ve managed to get a Full set of Wills tobacco cards (and a few doubles)
Waddingtons were pumping out 5,000,000 of these per week to keep up with the demand of the "Wills Scheme".
100_2146.JPG
"The deck of 1900" by Grimauld of France, Very nice Art Noveau style deck from 1980.
100_2142.JPG
Jock1971

An all Waddingtons post to end today :)
Here`s a Bridge Boxset, Only two more of this series to find,the Poker & pontoon and the Blackjack sets.
100_2141.JPG
A double set to mark the Queens Silver Jubilee in 1977.
100_2149.JPG
A double set with signs of the zodiac backs.
100_2147.JPG
And a couple of single decks that make up a pair.
100_2138.JPG
dazzleguts

Jock1971 wrote: I`m not really too sure on how may decks i have.Too many and not enough
Not very informative, but very true, for mine as well :lol:

Great to see some books on the subject. Got any more? ;)
Worldwide Time Machine

Jock1971

dazzleguts wrote:
Jock1971 wrote: I`m not really too sure on how may decks i have.Too many and not enough
Not very informative, but very true, for mine as well :lol:

Great to see some books on the subject. Got any more? ;)
Hiya Dazzelguts :D
Sorry for being vague about the exact number of decks i have. As for my book`s here are the rest of my Card related books with some decks, i still have 1 more that i will be showing later along with a double post of decks all from the same maker (Not Waddingtons sadly :cry: )
To start with a Worshipful Company book, along side a double deck which shows the king and Queen of thailand visit to Britain in 1960, Printed by De La Rue.
625.JPG
Next is a modern set i bought a while back for just £2, it cost me more for postage £3.20 :lol:
624.JPG
Here`s a nice little book ,not quite a reference book but cool none the less. Along side a couple of Festive Coca Cola sets.
623.JPG
And last a couple of Waddingtons Card Games book`s, Along with a first edition Cir-Q-Lar deck.
626.JPG
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

Are any of those books better than the others? I have a few of them on my maybe list, but a number of them seem outdated or misinformation from what I've read and are mostly best for collector items themselves to to browse photos rather than content. I'm especially considering that most recent one you posted.
Jock1971

Hiya ecNate :D
Thanks for the question i`m not a great book reviewer :lol: but i`ll give it a shot.
I`m sure Dazzelguts would give you pointers on which books to get better than me
The four book from the earlier post are all from the early 70`s, although informative for the most part only give a broad view on collecting cards and focusing only on very few decks from various regions or subjects, also for the most part the photo`s are black and white with only a few coloured ones in each. Of the four books the silvia mann one is the one i like only because it focuses on european deck`s that i`m most interested in.
As for the little one in my latest post , well it only cost £2 , it has 375 pages with each page showing an individual card in colour from a deck. there is little information about the cards.heres some quick scans of some of the pages
IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0002.jpg
IMG_0003.jpg
-Jase-
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

Thanks Jase, that helps. Really cool you went and included scanned pages too! I went ahead and got that one, since it was fairly cheap on ebay, still more left if others want (Amazon resellers have a ton too, but this ebay one looks like they have a bunch basically new) - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Collectible-Pla ... 1096450357

I also put the Mann one on my watchlist.

Thanks again!
dazzleguts

Thanks for the confidence Jase :) , but I can only recommend the books I have and know, and it's starting to look like you have more books than me :lol: . I did recently find a Nintendo History volume 1, and can say that it's an interesting read all through. I was a little disappointed in the size of the playing card section, but it is more info on Nintendo cards than you can currently find anywhere else.

Congrats on the complete Wills Tobacco cards set :ugdance:
Is that text card shown at the bottom of the picture showing the back of the cards?
Worldwide Time Machine

Jock1971

Hey Dazzelguts :) .
Yes those are the backs, i had to buy four part sets to make the full deck, so i have exactly 100 cards, three of which are Jokers which could be exchanged for any card, also seven of the hundred have been over printed on the back in red with the cut-off date of the scheme,28th February 1934.

A few Parcels came today :D
The first one came as a result of a trade WITH a friend 8-) . Thanks Daniel . Once again these were shipped very fast and the decks arrived in perfect condition.
627.JPG
The Blackout Kingdom Kickstarter from Gamblers Warehouse next.
629.JPG
Four Point Kickstarter by Ben Vierck next. With tucks he took the time to embossed himself 8-)
628.JPG
That`s all that came today ,so to finish the post some more modern decks from my collection.
630.JPG
Thnaks for looking at my cards :D -jase-
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Both Grimaud Indiennes and Skil Power Tools are lovely!

Glad the decks arrived safe. Trusty ice cream sandwich. :lol:
I have to say I'm completely happy with the Four Points deck. Great design, amazing price, fast delivery and he even went the extra mile with the embossing. Really great!
Jock1971

Eoghann wrote:Both Grimaud Indiennes and Skil Power Tools are lovely!
Hiya Eoghann :D
Thanks for that comment 8-) ,I think i`ve confused you on the title of the Grimauld deck, its called "Orient express" and it is a reprint of an earlier deck called "Indiennes", mine has indices where the original has none(sorry for the confusion) and i also agree about the four point cards especially the Mint edition.

Another 2 parcels came today one a result of a trade. , the other a kickstarter.
The first a result of a trade :D Thanks Kai. Excellent condition and some cool cards once again.
631.JPG
The "Sawdust" kickstarter from Emmanuel Jose next. Guaranteed Excellence.
632.JPG
The start of a "Fournier" Mega-post now (another 3 posts worth :o ), i bought a joblot of Fournier decks a week or so ago and the Museum book was included.
633.JPG
The book`s been signed and dated by the author. This Slab of metal was included also???? its Bridge size and the height of a Skat deck ,and is very heavy (i`ve no scales sorry :()
634.JPG

Edit - The back of the metal thingie in the last picture has "Centenario 1868-1968" inscribed on the back.
Jock1971

The first of three "Fournier" post now, i usually take so long writing that i get automatical logged out every time i post :lol: :lol: so i`ll just put the names and dates and hope the pictures do the talking for me :oops: .
So first up is a Double and Single deck, European Naval Powers produced in 1981.
635.JPG
A single deck titled The Nude in Art dating from 1977.
636.JPG
Another single deck titled Fiesta Taurina from 1975, each card depicting either a scene from a bullfight or a famous matador.
637.JPG
And a nice Standard double deck to finish
638.JPG
Jock1971

A bridge and patience set titled Europe and was produced in 1982. The courts are rather cool looking characters wearing clothes that are taken from well-documented records from 16th century Europe.
639.JPG
Net up one of my favorite Fournier sets, "Far east" dated 1980. Once again my photographic skills have let me down,as these cards are covered in Gold ink and look amazing in Hand.
640.JPG
"Chinese Costumes" was produced in 1984.
641.JPG
And a pair of Red and Blue standard Bridge size 525 Brand decks to finish.
642.JPG
Jock1971

Last post Today.
To start a single deck titled "Historical Playing Cards" first printed in 1954. This set is a later reprint as the booklets are dated 1960.
643.JPG
Another single deck this one is titled "American Civil War" and dates from 1961.
644.JPG
A double set i`ve had for a while, this ones called Traditional Russian playing cards.
645.JPG
And last picture is a Souvenir deck from 1978 titled "Costa Del Sol" and has 54 views from around Spain.
646.JPG
dazzleguts

:shock: :drool: :shock:

The metal plaque was issued in 1968 to celebrate the 100 year anniversary of the first small "Naipes Heraclio Fournier" lithography factory being built in 1868 in Vitoria, Spain.
Worldwide Time Machine

Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Christ that's the motherlode! If I ever see a Mingote Fournier in your possession I will literally fly there and wrestle you for it. :lol:
Jock1971

@ Dazzelguts & Eoghann....Thanks for the comments on the Fournier Posts Guys :D
I got a kickstarter in today, Marseille Sophistique from Three point comics.
647.JPG
A Tarot deck from the Vaults, this one`s printed by Heron.
648.JPG
A Christmas present next. Metastasis. This Printing was produced in 2009 to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the English Playing Card society.
649.JPG
And lastly a Waddingtons deck advertising the Cunard shipping line, this was printed between 1969-1971 as it has the Amalgamated Ace.
650.JPG
Thanks for looking at my cards :D Jase
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

You got the Metastasis from EPCS as a gift? Wow! Sounds like someone really really likes you. Very nice! Mine is the uncolored version, that is awesome.
Jock1971

ecNate wrote:You got the Metastasis from EPCS as a gift? Wow! Sounds like someone really really likes you. Very nice! Mine is the uncolored version, that is awesome.
I asked how she knew what cards to get me...she told me she went to the last site on my browser history and bought the cheapest pack she could find :lol: :lol: (the site was Gamesetal.net)

Another kickstarter came today, Cards for conquerors from Scott king.
I was unhappy with Scott for selling his cards on e-bay before all backers had there cards. After a few PM`s he sent the cards to me the next day. i got the cards and there is no Iron Scale standard edition :( so here`s the Blizzard wing and the King deck.
651.JPG
Here`s the limited Editions
652.JPG
I went for the lot with this kickstarter. Unfortunately i won`t be backing any other of Scott`s kickstarters from now on as i could have got the cards i actually wanted faster.Here`s the KING boxset No104 Oops :(
653.JPG
And last a Beautiful Britain pack from Waddingtons .This pack is interesting to me because of the sticker down the side which tells the customer about the seal which replaces the governments Tax wrapper on the 4th Aug 1960.
654.JPG
Jock1971

I Got the Metal deck by Max kickstarter in today.
655.JPG
The only other cards i got at Christmas, My first "Brick" 8-)
656.JPG
A Russian pack from 1989/90,from the same maker as my patience set i showed a while ago ,with the same court and joker design.(Not sure of the maker :oops: )
657.JPG
And last today a 1972 Facsimile deck from Vito Arienti of Italy.Not sure who did the original deck but there`s a date of 1692 on the pack, There is 52 cards and a title card and the pack is numbered 70 of 200.
658.JPG
dazzleguts

Hi Jase. :)
That's a really early Vito Arienti deck. He eventually started issuing facsimiles under the "brand" Edizione del Solleone, and my decks from him are all Solleone decks. Here's some indirect info on your deck, from the National Library of Malta:
http://m2.facebook.com/notes/national-l ... 857584603/

And from the British Museum here's what seems to be the original source of Arienti's deck:
http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/c ... -23&page=1

**Edit
The maker of the Russian deck is likely to be the Saint Petersburg Colour Printing Plant that closed in 2004. They started making cards in 1817 and were a state monopoly.
Worldwide Time Machine

Jock1971

Wow Thanks for the information Dazzelguts, i tried the WWPCM but only found the Edizione del solleone decks, I counted the cards wrong :? my set has indeed 52 cards in the pack :roll:
I got the Dragon Crate kickstarter from Albino Dragon in yesterday.
100_2251.JPG
Next a deck called "Weisbuch" printed by Grimauld of France, designed by Claude Weisbuch in 1996.
100_2106.JPG
A few more modern decks.
100_2096.JPG
And last today a Piatnik double set titled "Old Prints" number 265
100_1768.JPG
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Whaaaaat?! How come your dragon is painted? Mine was completely blank. :/ did you paint it?
Jock1971

Eoghann wrote:Whaaaaat?! How come your dragon is painted? Mine was completely blank. :/ did you paint it?
Yes i painted it :oops: :oops:
hikeeba

Unread post by hikeeba »

Edit: Sorry about putting that in here - misread the topic heading.
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Jock1971 wrote:
Eoghann wrote:Whaaaaat?! How come your dragon is painted? Mine was completely blank. :/ did you paint it?
Yes i painted it :oops: :oops:
:lol: looks great!

@hikeeba: I don't get it. That some form of protest or abstract art? You paid for that though, didn't you?. Looks like it could make a comfy pillow. :lol: