[Jock1971] My Collection

Members are welcome and encouraged to "Show Their Cards" here. Don't be bashful!
Forum rules
  1. Make a new thread. Be sure to put your username in square brackets [] at the beginning of the title.

2. Write a small (or big, if you want) introduction about you, your collection and your collecting habits.

3. Post as many pictures of your decks as you want in your thread, with or without descriptions.
    (But please refrain from posting pictures of your collection in someone else's thread.)

4. Have fun with it, be creative, and check out other users' threads as well :)

Jock1971
Collector: Yes

Re: [Jock1971] My Collection

Unread post by Jock1971 »

Mike Ratledge wrote:Always interesting - and different, Jace!
Thanks for the comment Mike. :D

An all Alf cooke post today.
First up a couple of Double Decks
100_0981.JPG
Both sets are sealed with the full face type of Paper seal and are Have been stamped by Alf Cooke.
100_0982.JPG
Next up a "Milady" Patience set.
100_0983.JPG
and last a Club De Luxe standard pack.
100_0984.JPG
Thanks for looking at my cards :D -Jase-
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
Player: Yes
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Just for giggles (?), can you narrow down the year on this de la Rue AoS for me, Jace? I know it's bound to be post-1950, but beyond that I don't know that patterns, although I suspect if I had time to look though everything you've probably already posted some information on how to date them.
Attachments
delaRue_AoS.png
delaRue_AoS.png (179.66 KiB) Viewed 1519 times
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
dazzleguts
White Whale: Das Kartenspiel Des Oberdeutsc
Decks Owned: 885

Unread post by dazzleguts »

You're becoming the resident expert on British decks Jase.
Just think, if this info was available somewhere on UC as an article people could just look there. ;)

**EDIT
This might help you Mike. It shows the Qs used on the queens up until 1975:
http://kenlodge.blogspot.ca/2012/07/aid ... -ebay.html

It's part of a blog by a Ken Lodge - author of a couple of books on English cards.
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"
Jock1971

Mike Ratledge wrote:Just for giggles (?), can you narrow down the year on this de la Rue AoS for me, Jace?
dazzleguts wrote:You're becoming the resident expert on British decks Jase.
Just think, if this info was available somewhere on UC as an article people could just look there. ;)
Hiya Mike :D That Ace was used from 1935 until 1957, To narrow it down a bit more by dating the indices the link to the Ken Lodge Blog what Dazzleguts provided is a good place to look. i frequent the site myself quite often.

Hi there Dazzelguts :D Judging by the vast amount of comments i get about my decks :lol: i don`t think there is a high demand for an article about dating English decks , but who knows eh ;)
Here`s a few decks. First up a Empire Card Co deck.
100_1003.JPG
Next up a deck i got for the princely sum of 50p on e-bay.
100_1045.JPG
Kate Greenaway was born in England in 1846 and was most famous for her watercolors and illustrations of numerous childrens books.
Next up a couple of Modern decks from Ellusionist.
100_1005.JPG
And last today a Waddingtons pack. The Tuck has the "War-Time restrictions" legend on it.
100_0999.JPG
Thanks for looking at my cards :D -jase-
dazzleguts

Jock1971 wrote: Hi there Dazzelguts :D Judging by the vast amount of comments i get about my decks :lol: i don`t think there is a high demand for an article about dating English decks , but who knows eh ;)
Ah, but look at all the viewings you get - over 2000 now. I think there's plenty of people interested but they may not feel they have enough knowledge to comment.

The joker on that Empire deck looks extremely happy.
The colouring of that back is a good example of what a deck printed on coloured stock could look like. A mid blue with a darker blue printed over, and gold for highlights, really attractively represents the carnival at night. In a coloured stock the faces would have to have a similar treatment, but if they were custom carnival courts it would all fit together well. Could also look really sharp with silver, or a coloured metallic.
Worldwide Time Machine

volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

Indeed jase, you probably get more views than you credit yourself for ! In my absence in this section you are really catching up ! I know i visit your thread almost everyday =)
Strag
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Strag »

dazzleguts wrote:
Jock1971 wrote: Hi there Dazzelguts :D Judging by the vast amount of comments i get about my decks :lol: i don`t think there is a high demand for an article about dating English decks , but who knows eh ;)
Ah, but look at all the viewings you get - over 2000 now. I think there's plenty of people interested but they may not feel they have enough knowledge to comment.
Agreed. I have nothing to add but it's a great thread to view.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

You know, Jace? That's why I live on the other end of this pipe: to see things like that.
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
Jock1971

Woah.. Thanks everyone :D , I only made the comment as a bit of banter for Dazzelguts .As everyone points out the view count speaks for itself .i was well made up when the count reached 1,500 and even more so with every day that passes, i`m very grateful to everyone for checking out my cards :) .
Speaking of cards heres a couple of Waddingtons.
100_1055.JPG
A single blue "Excel" pack (The hunt is on for a red pack) and a christmas gift box from "Scotland & Co". i can find any info on what kind of business this was. Here`s the box opened.
100_1048.JPG
The red pack seems untouched and the blue one is well worn,also has the original card sent with the box.
Here`s a De La Rue deck as an example how indices can help date a pack. The Ace shown dates the pack from 1862 to 1935,but the indices shown were only used between 1900-1922 (Quite possibly Antique).
100_1048 (2).JPG
and last today a deck from Spanish makers Fournier. A nice pair of Jokers in this pack.
100_1057.JPG
Once again thanks for looking at my cards :D ... comments are optional :lol:
-Jase-
johanes
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by johanes »

Nice collection, i see that you like unique playing card.
did you opened all of your decks?
Jock1971

johanes wrote:Nice collection, i see that you like unique playing card.
did you opened all of your decks?
Hi Johanes, :D thanks for the compliment about my cards.
Around 90% of the cards i buy are already open,I only open my modern decks which i use in my weekly get together with old friends (Napoleon mainly) All my Old english decks i get what are sealed i leave sealed, They are mainly standard faces anyway.
A few more pictures, First a Waddingtons Poker set i got for 99p ,cost £3.20 Postage.
100_1052.JPG
The paper money is real crisp like it has not been played with :D and the Ace of Spades is a Special which is only found in Large Index packs.
Next up a few modern decks, the Minimal one i got in at the weekend from a kickstarter. they actually changed the back design after the funding period due to USPCC saying the original was to close to the "Bee" Back,Backers was not aware of this until after the printing was done ,so basically we got a deck we didn`t pledge for :evil:
100_1050.JPG
Next up an Alf cooke single deck.
100_1049.JPG
And last today "Union Generals Deck" published by U.S Games systems Inc, this pack is a facsimilie of a 1863 deck by M.Nelson,New York.
100_1051.JPG
dazzleguts

What did the back of the Minimalist end up looking like Jase?
Same thing happened to me with a Zombie deck I pledged for - the style of the final courts did not match the pip card figures at all. So, I have a deck where the pip cards are more interesting to me than the courts, which is opposite of the usual. :roll: I would not have pledged for them knowing that.

Those old pin-up decks look so innocent compared to the stuff you see around now. The woman on your Alf Cooke looks real happy to have that plaid shirt, and the wristwatch is a nice touch too.

I like that Ace of Spades in the Fournier deck, and look at those graceful hands on the King. Fournier had real elegence in their basic designs.
Worldwide Time Machine

Jock1971

dazzleguts wrote:What did the back of the Minimalist end up looking like Jase?
HIYA Dazzelguts :D . EEEEEK thats a shocking new avitar, A Tribute to H.R Giger ?
Kill a few birds with one stone here. The minimalist deck with a few faces shown and the new back, The back`s not even 2 way and way too busy for a minimalist deck in my opinion. Also shown is my method of protecting my cards in storage ...I`m a bit iffy about these after seeing Johanes thread..., And shown is a size comparison with the Bicentennial cars and the french Patience deck.(Keeping it nice and fresh for when i send it to you ;) )
100_1055.JPG
Not quite a pair of red & blue stud`s.
100_1058.JPG
dazzleguts wrote:I like that Ace of Spades in the Fournier deck, and look at those graceful hands on the King. Fournier had real elegence in their basic designs.
Do you know why the King of Hearts has 2 left hands? .I got the fournier pack in a joblot of 6 decks and i didn`t even know this was a fournier, The picture had only the tuck box fronts showing an the description didn`t list the packs individually.i recognised 2 waddington and a De La Rue advertising decks so thats why i bid and i got the lot for £7.50(decks not shown yet) and the other 2 decks were these ones.
First up a Arrco deck...and i don`t know who Lenny Brooks is..
100_1060.JPG
And last today "Music Playing Cards". i have not even bothered to read the instruction`s and am not too keen on these but it was the other decks i was after so ...Oh well.
100_1059.JPG
dazzleguts

Jock1971 wrote:... a shocking new avitar, A Tribute to H.R Giger ?
.... Also shown is my method of protecting my cards in storage ...I`m a bit iffy about these after seeing Johanes thread..., And shown is a size comparison with the Bicentennial cars and the french Patience deck.(Keeping it nice and fresh for when i send it to you ;) )
I'll take the Giger comparison as a compliment 8-). That's actually one of my old avatars which I tweaked a bit (added the cigarette). It was originally from a scanned in piece of old plastic. Pure chance made the skull from random marks and stains. I helped it along a bit. Eoghann asked why I had used the other one for so long so I decided it was time for a change.

I also have a few decks in ziplocks, but it's awkward keeping them in the drawers that way. The ziplock part sticks out and decks don't stack neatly. Comics are often stored in poly bags, but comic collectors and conservationists seem to prefer mylar for paper objects.

While we're on the subject - I remove the cello from all my vintage decks. If it's a wax paper wrapper it should be safe. Just recently got a 1970s USPCC Domino Rummy deck and the box is warped from pressure from the shrunken cellophane, and there are areas on the box where the ink has adhered to the cello and come off the box. :(
Do you know why the King of Hearts has 2 left hands?
I didn't even notice that. :oops: :lol:
They must have started with a set up from one of the other courts and then added the sword hand behind the head. Thats the only way I can think of it happening.
Worldwide Time Machine

Jock1971

A couple of Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee packs to start.
100_1065.JPG
The Piatnik double packs are still sealed in cellophane with one back Blue and the other Red.
Next another Piatnik, this one is "Kaiser Jubilaum" and in number 2138.
100_1066.JPG
Next up a Mardon,Son and Hall deck.
100_1067.JPG
Every pack of theirs i have has gold gilded cards.
and last today a few Advertising decks by Waddingtons.
100_1063.JPG
Jock1971

A couple of decks in Leather wallets to start today.
100_1062.JPG
The Single deck is from waddingtons and has a full-faced wrapper,but fortunately had a extra card showing the back.It`s advertising Valstar weatherwear & travel wear.
100_1065.JPG
The Double is from Mardon,Son & Hall. once again gold edged cards ,notice the advertising cards where the leather has discoloured them this discolouring appears on the tax wrappers as well but not as bad, luckily the cards are wrapped in cellophane with the paper wrapper over that .so the cards are still mint.
Next up a N.Y Consolidated Card Co Deck.
100_1066.JPG
i got this deck especially to post in the new North American thread of the "worldwide Time Machine" forum. Ive posted scans of the courts and tuck for you to check out.
The next deck is by Grimauld of France, i`ve posted scans of this deck in the french thread of the Worldwide forum as well.
100_1069.JPG
Once again thanks for looking at my cards :D -jase-
Jock1971

An All Waddingtons for today :) .First up a Bridge travel set.
100_1085.JPG
i got the set from Winning Moves to go along with my Poker travel set.
Next up a Special "3 years in the making".
100_1084.JPG
A nice double set up next.
100_1082.JPG
and last today a Disney pack dated 1993.
100_1083.JPG
Thanks for looking at my cards :D jase-
Jock1971

I don`t usually showcase my new decks much as everyone usually has them and knows what they look like.
But There is always an exception to the rule.
100_1104.JPG
100_1105.JPG
100_1110.JPG
100_1111.JPG
Jock1971

Have been busy at work with a large order so have been too tired to post.
5AM here so a few quickies.Got these yesterday from Poland.
100_1126.JPG
Wrapped in Brown Paper and the Band is a Large Sticker,so be careful to remove it if you want to keep it.
100_1127.JPG
The cards are extra thick,but the Artwork is beautiful there are 2 jokers and a extra "Thank You" card with the names of the cards and which artist created the artwork on the flipside,also included is a card sized sticker.
100_1128.JPG
Jock1971

First up this post a Paitnik Tartan double.
100_1096.JPG
Next a couple of Asian decks, I really like the Fairy Brand for some strange reason :lol:
100_1098.JPG
Next is a Double Advertising deck i`m not sure of the Maker but George Thacker was a british Ship store merchant
100_1099.JPG
and last today Politicards.this deck is made in U.S.A and is from 1980 and the drawings are by Keith Nichols
100_1103.JPG
Sher
Decks Owned: 100

Unread post by Sher »

Awesome selection of cards! I like that Kaiser Jubiluam one. I regret not pre-ordering that Groverdose deck... I thought maybe I could get them when they started shipping out... I love art decks.
Jock1971

Sher wrote:Awesome selection of cards! I like that Kaiser Jubiluam one. I regret not pre-ordering that Groverdose deck... I thought maybe I could get them when they started shipping out... I love art decks.
Hiya Sher :D Thanks for checking out my cards. i know how you feel ,There are a tonne of decks that i could have got but let them pass thinking i would get them later,but have never seen them again :( unfortunately i only ordered one Goverdose pack so have none to trade,sorry.
I`ve a few packs to scan for the "Worldwide Time Machine" this weekend so will scan the Kaiser one and put them in the Europe section so you can see all the Courts in detail.
Here`s a pack from the Canadian Playing Card Company i will be posting in "worldwide", again not being up on vintage North American cards i don`t know what year these were made. The Courts are different from the "Pacific Steamships" Pack that Dazzelguts has posted so i think its worth posting to compare the two types of courts from the same maker.
100_1158.JPG
Next up a Pair of Origins, the Queen`s are what attracted me to these cards. Although i think Lorenzo`s Queens are by far the most beautiful i`ve seen these come a close second.
100_1133.JPG
A deck from the French maker Grimauld titled "La Fayette" dated 1978. Scans of these cards are already in the French section of "Worldwide".
100_1135.JPG
And last is a Waddingtons Double set specially made for Rowntree Mackintosh. Both packs are sealed with cellophane, One back is Purple the other is Black.
100_1137.JPG
Jock1971

First up is a Reproduction of a 16th Century French deck. the deck is based on a set of face cards by Pierre Marechal of Rouen that are dated to 1567.
100_1155.JPG
i got this pack from http://www.gothicgreenoak.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. there are scans of the same courts in the French section of "worldwide" but by a different maker and a lot more information if you`d like to see more.
Next up a set of Red & Blue Bicycle Seconds.
100_1140.JPG
A deck from Waddingtons up next.
100_1149.JPG
and last today a couple of modern decks. The Utopia Back is really nice.
100_1153.JPG
Sher

Unread post by Sher »

I find myself really liking French decks. I like the design of that La Fayette one. The reproduction of the 16th century French deck... Is that the one Rick based the Origins from? I think it was also a source of inspiration for the Hotcakes deck.
volantangel

I think it's both sher ! I definitely remember the king with the tentacles for ricks origins deck. Haha jade I don't even know where you find these massive assortment of decks !
Sher

Unread post by Sher »

LOL! King with the tentacles... :lol:
Jock1971

[/quote]
Sher wrote:LOL! King with the tentacles... :lol:
:lol: :lol:

Hiya sher. i knocked this up after reading your comment.
IMG.jpg
I think the Hotcakes deck is more akin to the 18th Century English decks, but as you can see that is directly influenced by the Rouen deck.You can almost say the Rouen deck is the Grandfather of the modern decks today.

And who`s Jade :D :lol:
volantangel

Haha indeed if only I had all these antique decks floating around, pity my country hasn't gained independence for more than 50 years, so no chance !

Haha pardon the autocorrect XD
Jock1971

A couple of modern decks to start off with.
100_1161.JPG
A Waddingtons Canasta set
100_1164.JPG
i have been looking out for a set with just the dots on the faces for quite a while, Was well happy to find a waddingtons one and at £5 only :D
A French deck from Dusserre of Paris, who`s cards are printed by Heron (Boechat-Freres)
This one is called "Napoleon III" and is dated 1987
100_1167.JPG
The Extra card states this deck is actually a reprint of the B.P Grimauld deck titled "Jeu Imperial" dated 1855.
and last today a couple of Goodall Patience sets. The Red Double deck is exactly the same as My Black one i posted a while ago. Thats the only trouble with buying Joblots from e-bay,sometime to get one you have to buy others along with it. Oh well.
100_1131.JPG
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Oh wow you actually got a tuck with the Rouen repro. Mine just came with a rubber band. :lol: