[Jock1971] My Collection

Members are welcome and encouraged to "Show Their Cards" here. Don't be bashful!
Forum Notice

1. Make a new thread. Be sure to put your username in square brackets [] at the beginning of the title.

2. Write a small (or big, if you want) introduction about you, your collection and your collecting habits.

3. Post as many pictures of your decks as you want in your thread, with or without descriptions.
    (But please refrain from posting pictures of your collection in someone else's thread.)

4. Have fun with it, be creative, and check out other users' threads as well :)

Re: [Jock1971] My Collection

Unread postby Jock1971 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:28 pm  

Commemorative Olympic Playing Cards Published by Stanley Gibbons Antiquarian. Limited edition printed by Waddingtons in 1979.
1438.JPG

Two single packs from Waddingtons featuring views of London on the backs.
1439.JPG

A double pack from Waddingtons dated around 1971-1974.
1440.JPG

And a Cir-Q-Lar deck from Waddingtons advertising The Grand Hotel in Sheffield to finish today.
1441.JPG

Thanks for looking at my cards :D -jase-
Jock1971
Master
Master

Unread postby dazzleguts » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:20 pm  

Nice Cir-Q-Lar! That looks like an earlier deck than my clockwork back ones.
Do you know a date on it Jase? Great that you found decks from the cooperation of De La Rue and Waddingtons. That must have been a good friendship as the association lasted so long. Hard to imagine that happening now.

I always love seeing those A Todos Alumbra, and the simple and delicate, but solid, design of the boxes. The colours are gorgeous too. Partly age and partly how inks used to be.

Interesting treatment of the European 4 indices on the Sima-Land, and I like the back.

More, more! :ugdance:
dazzleguts
Master
Master

Unread postby Jock1971 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:26 pm  

dazzleguts wrote:Nice Cir-Q-Lar! That looks like an earlier deck than my clockwork back ones.
Do you know a date on it Jase?

Hi there Dazzelguts :D i remember you asking about the dates for cir-q-lar decks before, these are from the first printing from the 1930`s which ended at the beginning of WWII due to paper shortages, any cir-q-lar cards with the sit down joker or "All British make" on the ace of spades are from the first printings. Any cir-q-lar cards with the stand up jokers are from the 1950`s onwards ,i`m not sure when they finished printing these ,but they are in the 80`s cataloques,so i presume they kept printing them until the Hasbro takeover in the 90`s.
dazzleguts wrote: Great that you found decks from the cooperation of De La Rue and Waddingtons. That must have been a good friendship as the association lasted so long. Hard to imagine that happening now.

The two men (who were poles apart socially) first met in the early 1930`s when Bernard Westall decided to met both Alf Cooke and Victor Watson about Price Fixing. He met with Alf Cooke first then Victor Watson, In that meeting they agreed that price fixing would eventually destroy the competitive edge of both businesses and make them vunerable to attack from others. Instead they instituted an Annual Cricket match and other sports days so that employees from both companies would get to know one another and compete fairly with each other.
As you say i doubt that would happen nowadays.
dazzleguts wrote:I always love seeing those A Todos Alumbra, and the simple and delicate, but solid, design of the boxes. The colours are gorgeous too. Partly age and partly how inks used to be.

Yeah i love`em , The cards came in paper wrappers, which are a little delicate, i`ve only removed the cards twice for fear of the wrappers falling apart. :lol: :lol:
dazzleguts wrote:More, more!

How`s about these....
I got this kickstarter in yesterday. Wood Deck by Max playing cards. The second in his Textile series ,can`t wait to see what Max comes up with next :D
1446.JPG

A Goodall and Sons Bezique deck from c.1863-1870. This is the first Goodalls "Own" Ace of spades design which is based on the "Old Frizzle" Ace of Spades. there are a couple of versions of this Ace ,all identical except the Lettering, this one is the second version which came out in 1863 a year after the first version, all version ran until 1870.
1447.JPG

Peace made by Elaine Lewis dated 2003. 32 cards plus 2 jokers and a title card.
1448.JPG

And a double advertising deck by Waddingtons to finish today :D
1449.JPG

Thanks for looking at my cards :D -jase-
Jock1971
Master
Master

Unread postby Bruno » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:12 pm  

Sublime ....
Thanks Jase !
Love the address on your Shell Mex House pair .... White Waltham for Fairey !
The Walrus/Swordfish pair too ....yum.
Can I say, I have a Stranraer/Spitfire pairing, in a twin lidded box .... which was once entirely sealed, prob. from '39 ....
Not sealed now, tho' tax wrapped still.
Aviation Decks, all right !
Thanks for your Russian Compilation too mate, amazing details ....
O, I begs your comprehensions.
My only competition is with myselves.

But Lèse-majesté, especially >Normans, natch.

Is Jerico the Ars of the Hors Nebulous ?
Neigh .... the Effluxor of the Omniverse ??
Bruno
Veteran
Veteran

Previous

Return to Show Us Your Cards!