UC Featured Collector for Mar/April 2014 - Robert Lancaster

A new Featured Collector every other month!
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Re: UC Featured Collector for March/April - Robert Lancaster

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

So, the where to find it is 'best guess' on this last one? I'm assuming it might come up once in a while on eBay?
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
RSLancastr
Decks Owned: 2500

Unread post by RSLancastr »

Mike Ratledge wrote:So, the where to find it is 'best guess' on this last one? I'm assuming it might come up once in a while on eBay?
I don't recall ever seeing it there, but it's worth a shot. Search under the artist's name (Orleansky).

ETA: Here it is!!

CLICK TO VIEW LISTING

It's a different box (the seller tells me that it sold in a variety of boxes), but that's the deck!

$50 is a bit steep, but it's a great deck!
-Marcel Marceau
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

I saw that, but for $50, I had to pass. That's a bit pricey!
>Mike<
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
RSLancastr

Mike Ratledge wrote:I saw that, but for $50, I had to pass. That's a bit pricey!
Agreed, but I thought that you might have bit the bullet, because the winning bidder was "m***e", so I thought perhaps you are on eBay as "mikee"!
-Marcel Marceau
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

RSLancastr wrote:
Mike Ratledge wrote:I saw that, but for $50, I had to pass. That's a bit pricey!
Agreed, but I thought that you might have bit the bullet, because the winning bidder was "m***e", so I thought perhaps you are on eBay as "mikee"!
Even my eBay name works: mike_ratledge - but no, not me.
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

RSLancastr

Mike Ratledge wrote:Even my eBay name works: mike_ratledge - but no, not me.
Oh, so the "***" in the masked eBay user name "m***e" can mask any number of characters?

ETA:

Four new decks to share with you all today...

First: My brother Jim and his wife Rachel are excellent photographers, and travel the world taking incredible photographs.

They recently returned from a trip which included visits to Africa and Machu Picchu in Peru.

This past weekend, Jim, who lives in San Diego, California, came up here to Salem, Oregon, to spend some time with my wife Susan and me.

At some point during a conversation, I mentioned to him that I had recently stumbled upon the "Evil Forces in Eastern Slavonic Mythology" deck which he had purchased for me years ago during one of his trips to Russia.

Jim jumped up and said "Oh, that reminds me - I have something for you!" before dashing out the door to his car, returning with a small statue of a Llama for Susan, and three decks of playing cards for me!

Handing them to me, he said something like "These probably aren't the kind you like, with the special face cards, but I thought you might like them anyway..."

I told him that there are probably a couple of dozen decks in my collection which various friends and relatives purchased for me while on vacations and such, and that, although they almost never had "special face cards" (custom courts), they all still have a place in my collection, and in my heart, That someone would see a deck of cards, think of me, purchase it, and bring it back to me from some far-off place, meant a lot to me, no matter what kind of deck it was.

So here, without further ado, are three decks Jim brought back for me from Peru:
==========[ IncaDinasty ]==========
http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u570/RSLancastr/IncaDinasty_zpsf375dca4.jpg
About the Deck
A souvenir deck from Peru, with a photograph of a different Incan artifact on each card, this deck is an archeologist's dream.
==========[ MachuPicchuWonderOfTheWorld ]==========
http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u570/RSLancastr/MachuPicchuWonderOfTheWorld_zpsf7f2108b.jpg
About the Deck
Another souvenir deck from publishers INCASPERU. This one is of Machu Picchu, a very famous site in Peru. The deck has a different photograph of the site on every card, along with a one-line description.
==========[ RainforestExpeditions ]==========
http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u570/RSLancastr/RainforestExpeditions_zps7d36d607.jpg
About the Deck
Published by Rainforest Expeditions (http://www.perunature.com), each card in this deck shows either a photograph or drawing of an animal, bird or insect found in the rainforests of Peru.

The Hearts suit has images of birds.
Clubs: mammals,
Diamonds: Butterflies, and
Spades: More birds.
So a nice and unusual little haul from my world-traveling brother.

Next is an unusual, Afrocentric advertising deck:
==========[ Budweiser_AlphaOne ]==========
http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u570/RSLancastr/Budweiser_AlphaOne_zpse863302c.jpg
About the Deck

This deck is unusual for an advertising deck, in that the sponsor's product is only shown on the card back. The images on the deck's custom courts and jokers have nothing to do with the product. They appear to have been used merely to make the deck appeal to African-Americans, in an attempt to get them to buy the sponsor's product (Budweiser Beer).
-Marcel Marceau
Jock1971

Unread post by Jock1971 »

I`m Liking the JOCKers from the Inca dinesty set. Once again some nice decks ,Thanks for sharing.
RSLancastr

Jock1971 wrote:I`m Liking the JOCKers from the Inca dinesty set.
I can see how they would appeal to you! :D
Once again some nice decks ,Thanks for sharing.
You're very welcome - thanks for enjoying them!
-Marcel Marceau
RSLancastr

Okay, I just went back through all of my posts in this thread/topic and made all of the scan/grids "clickable" using the UCIMG tag, so they all should now be viewable in enlarged (though kinda fuzzy) versions.
-Marcel Marceau
RSLancastr

Here's another longish story from the time of my old, playing-card-themed web site:

Back in the late 1990s (I'd say "back at the turn of the century", but that would make me feel too old...), I got an email at my web site ("The Bob Lancaster Gallery of Unusual Playing Cards") from a man who lived around thirty miles from me in Southern California, wanting to know if I could evaluate a large collection of antique playing cards which he had inherited from his mother, who had collected them for decades.

I told him that I was by no means an expert evaluator, but that I would be more than happy to come and take a look, pointing out to him any decks I knew to be quite valuable.

He was fine with that, and gave me directions to his place, after which we set a date and time for this to all take place.

A week or so later, I drove to his place on the coast.

After introductions, he seated me at a table and went into another room to retrieve the collection.

When he returned, I was surprised to see he was carrying several old photo albums, which he placed on the table before me.

I took the one from the top of the stack, put it in my lap, opened it up, and became both excited and fairly queasy.

Excited because the very first deck displayed was a rare American deck from the 1800s, with lovely, non-standard (custom) courts.

Queasy because of the book they were in. I said they were "photo albums", and they were - but they were very old ones, more like what we nowadays would call a scrapbook.

The pages were all made of dark brown construction paper, and the cards had been mounted to the pages using old-fashioned "corner mounts", as were used in very old photo albums.

The cards were mounted face-up, with the courts from the deck on each left-hand page, and miscellaneous other cards mounted on the right-hand page.

The very first thing that horrified me about this: construction paper is not (I repeat, is NOT) acid-free, so the backs of every single card had been stained brown from years of bein pressed against those pages.

Worse, the cards almost never totally lined up with the cards on the opposing page, so there was a network of brown-stained lines where the construction paper on each side touched the faces of the cards on the other side.

Heartbroken by what I was seeing, I leafed through page after page holding cards from dozens of rare, antique,brown-stained and antique decks I would have hocked my children to have owned, had they been in good condition (the decks, not my children).

Were that not bad enough, I began to notice something else, and asked the man "where are the jokers and spade Aces?", as there were none in the book.

"She kept the jokers in another book, and the Aces of Spades in yet another book", he replied.

When I asked if I could see them, he told me that he had already sold those two books...

So there I was, holding a collection which would have, if complete and unstained, been easily worth tens of thousands of dollars, but which, stained and missing all jokers, spade aces AND boxes(!), was probably worth a thousand dollars, tops.

I was literally sick to my stomach.

When I told the man my offhand evaluation, he sighed and said "that's what the guy from England told me."

It turned out that he had also gotten an evaluation of the collection from my friend Brian Getz, a seller of antique cards who lived in England, but who was in Southern California at the time (he and his wife had stayed at my house for three nights earlier that week).

Brian later told me that even if the man had accepted his offer of a thousand dollars, Brian would probably not have made a profit, after all of the work he would have had to put into making the decks sellable.

MORAL: Be VERY CAREFUL how you store and/or display your cards.

It was an interesting little adventure, and I thought some of you might enjoy reading about it.

Another cautionary tale about a collection being evaluated:

This did not happen to me, but I was told about it by multiple people whom I trust and so believed.

A widow whose deceased husband had collected playing cards for many years called the collector's club to which he had belonged, asking if someone from the club could come out and evaluate her late husband's collection.

A couple of the club's members went to the woman's home and examined the collection.

After they left, the woman noticed that some of the decks they had examined were now missing cards which she knew had been there.

It turned out that the men had taken cards from some of the decks to replace cards which were missing in their[/copies of those decks (missing cards are quite common in antique decks).

I don't know what all happened, such as whether or not law enforcement became involved, but I believe that the men were kicked out of the club.

MORALS: Be VERY careful who you leave alone with your collection. And create a full, detailed inventory of your collection to be used by your spouse (or whomever) in the event of your death.

-RSL
-Marcel Marceau
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah, Robert - after reading your previous post about those 4 decks I forgot to answer your question. It's true, that **** on eBay can mask any number of characters, it only shows the first and last one to you so it is purposefully obfuscating the length as well.
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

RSLancastr

Mike Ratledge wrote:Ah, Robert - after reading your previous post about those 4 decks I forgot to answer your question. It's true, that **** on eBay can mask any number of characters, it only shows the first and last one to you so it is purposefully obfuscating the length as well.
Makes sense - thanks for de-obfuscating that for me!

One of my favorite bumper stickers of all time read "ESCHEW OBFUSCATION" - a quote I used when training junior programmers on screen/report design and documentation.

ETA: Are we allowed to say "****" here?
-Marcel Marceau
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sure, knock yourself out....
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

RSLancastr

RSLancastr wrote:TA: Are we allowed to say "****" here?
Mike Ratledge wrote:Sure, knock yourself out....
Well then, **** **** **** ****, ****mpty-**** ****!!

There once was a **** from Nantucket,
who **** with her guy in a bucket.
He **** **** **** ****, and she **** **** **** ****,
then they **** **** **** **** **** **** (KNOCK)
THUD.
-Marcel Marceau
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good Lord! I've created a monster... LOL
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

RSLancastr

Mike Ratledge wrote:Good Lord! I've created a monster... LOL
****ing A!

And with that, I have reached my obfuscation quota.

-R****L
-Marcel Marceau
RSLancastr

"Madman" & "Bone" Comics decks

In 1996 or 1997, I received a flyer via snailmail which had a blurb in it for custom decks of playing cards based on the comic books "Madman" and "Bone".

For those not familiar with those comics, here are the Wikipedia entries...

Madman:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madman_(comics)

Bone:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone_(comics)

I was not familiar with the comics, but the Madman deck had custom courts (apparently based on characters from the comic), so I mailed off an order for a double-deck set!

A week or so ago I stumbled upon that double-deck set when digging through my collection. I scanned in images from the box and some of the cards, and uploaded them to UC as one of my "grids":

[ucimg]http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u570/RSLancastr/Madman_zpsf7c54a8d.jpg[/ucimg]

After I posted it, shadowkat asked me where I had obtained it, as she (he?) is a fan of Madman comics.

I could not recall, other than I had bought it through that flyer, nearly twenty years ago.

Looking through the deck again, I noticed that the Title card said:

The company name "Graphitti Designs" sounded familiar, so I searched for it on Google and found their web site cleverly named:

[url]http://www.graphittidesigns.com

After some perusing there, I found:

Madman Playing Cards:
http://www.graphittidesigns.com/shop/MA ... CARDS.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Madman Playing Cards Uncut Sheet:
http://www.graphittidesigns.com/shop/MA ... T-SHT.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Bone Playing Cards:
http://www.graphittidesigns.com/shop/BO ... CARDS.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Bone Playing Cards Uncut Sheet:
http://www.graphittidesigns.com/shop/BO ... SHEET.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

I decided that the uncut sheets would make a colorful and fun break from the more staid uncut sheets I've gotten so far (such as the Bicycle Cigar one), and have ordered them. I hope to post some volantangelesque photos of them once they arrive, but don't expect much - the only camera I have is the one in my cheapo cell phone, which lacks a close-up lens.
-Marcel Marceau
RSLancastr

Well, my time as UC's Inaugural Featured Collector is at an end. My thanks again to Mike for bestowing the honor upon me, and my thanks to all who participated in the thread. I had intended on "going out with a bang", hoping to post pics of the Madman and Bone uncuts I got recently, but my phone camera is acting up, so I'll just wish my best to the next Featured Collector, and bow out.

-RSL
-Marcel Marceau
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Many, Many thanks to you, Robert! You showed us a world-class collection, and did it with style and grace! Frankly, it was a perfect first pick! All including myself had a wonderful time, and you set the standard for others to keep up with, without a doubt! As I've stated before: this is always your topic, you've owned it for two full months, feel free to keep it up as long as you please, and never leave us out in the dark when new things come to light in the "Robert S Lancaster Collection!". We all sincerely appreciate your time and dedication! :drool:
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

RSLancastr

Mike Ratledge wrote:As I've stated before: this is always your topic, you've owned it for two full months, feel free to keep it up as long as you please, and never leave us out in the dark when new things come to light in the "Robert S Lancaster Collection!". We all sincerely appreciate your time and dedication! :drool:
Recently, two pieces written by me have been included in blog entries of people I know, and, since my collection is mentioned in both, I thought I would link to them here:

The First:
I was corresponding with Ted Litvan of BCW Supplies (I have been using BCW's "Monster" boxes to store my large collection of decks of playing cards for decades now) about using BCW products to display parts of my collection.

During our correspondence, Ted asked me if I would be interested in contributing a piece about my collection to the BCW Supplies blog. I dug out something I had emailed to my friend Carol Guzman when she had asked me how in the world I had ever started my collection. Ted liked it, and here it is on the BCW Supplies blog:

http://blog.bcwsupplies.com/collecting-playing-cards/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The other:
I had been corresponding with friend and former co-worker Steven Humphrey when I brought up the topic of unusual (and often rude) ways in which some people react to someone who is in a wheelchair (I have been in one for nearly six years now, and Steven's wife has for as long as I have known them (twenty years or more). During that topic I related what is my absolute favorite reaction I've ever received while in my wheelchair. Steven replied that he thought the story was "beautiful on many levels" and asked my permission to quote it within an entry of "Parnassus Musings", his blog on parnassusanalytics.com. I was more than happy for him to do so, and this was the result:

http://parnassusanalytics.com/2014/07/01/ambassador/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My thanks to both Ted Litvan and Steven Humphrey for sharing some of my thoughts with their readers.
-Marcel Marceau
Sher
Decks Owned: 100

Re: UC Featured Collector for Mar/April 2014 - Robert Lancas

Unread post by Sher »

I really enjoyed reading that story, Robert. :)
RSLancastr

Okay, now this is interesting/weird:

I just found a copy of the "Palestine Play-card" deck listed on eBay, with a Starting Bid set at $1,200:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-c1920-P ... -Nouveau-/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CLICK TO VIEW LISTING

While pricey, it's less than half the Minimum Bid (or maybe it was the Buy it Now Price) was the last time I saw it on eBay, which was $2,700! (I don't recall whether or not that one sold).

What's weird (even a bit surreal to me) is that I AM QUOTED IN THE LISTING!!

The seller quotes my comments about the deck from my "Interview" in the opening post of this thread!
-Marcel Marceau
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

:lol: weird indeed. Link is inactive now though so I couldn't see it. Says the listing has been removed.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

This almost has to be the same listing. Same quote of your UC "interview" from the OP.

CLICK TO VIEW LISTING

I have two Palestine decks from about the same time period, but have bison/buffalo backs. I will have to find them... I have seen them recently for about $100, made in Great Britain by Waddington.
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

RSLancastr

Mike Ratledge wrote:This almost has to be the same listing. Same quote of your UC "interview" from the OP.
Mike, I just noticed that in your sig, you say "Bonefide" when it should be "Bona Fide" (two words, with an "a", not an "e").
-Marcel Marceau