UC Featured Artist for June/July Shane Tyree

A new featured deck designer/artist every other month!
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

UC Featured Artist for June/July Shane Tyree

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

First of all I would like to thank Jackson Robinson for taking some time to be here even though he has been busy as heck and let us give him a hard time while at the same time getting instant feedback from the UC community which has a perfect track record for steering projects in the right direction.

Next up, for the months of June and July we have Shane Tyree, formerly of the Albino Dragon series of decks, having done the artwork for the most successful decks of playing cards of all time: "The Name of the Wind" which did an incredible $589,660 - by far the most successful in Kickstarter history! In the end that project ended up being funded at almost 5900% with over 11,000 backers! Shane was the Lead Artist - Creative Director for Albino Dragon during those wildly successful kickstarter campaigns including "White Rabbit", "Cthuhlu" and "sYnthesis" amongst others. Shane is now doing his own thing and has his own art studio "STart" (Shane Tyree Art Studio) and you can find that here: http://www.Shane-Tyree.com. To start our second "Featured Artist" (Deck Designer) I sat down with Shane in an informal interview and this is the result of that Q&A session.
Q: When did you start doing graphic design, and how did you get into designing playing cards?

A: I started into graphic design in 2011 when I became a freelance illustrator. The very first deck I had the idea to do was the original Call of Cthulhu deck I did in 2012. It came about because of a roleplaying game called Savage Worlds. It uses playing cards to track initiative (the order that players take their turns in) and there is a Cthulhu themed version of the game. I thought the Cthulhu playing cards would be a cool addition to use for the game.

Q: Do you collect playing cards?

A: After having been introduced to them through my work yes, I now have a pretty good collection. It’s a cool way to collect someone’s artwork and have fun using it.

Q: How many decks are in your collection?

A: Right now upwards of 15.

Q: What types of decks do you collect?

A: I prefer more illustrative decks with unique court cards.

Q: What is your favorite deck of the ones you have, and why?

A: That’s a tough question. I really Jackson Robinson’s Federal 52 deck, but it’s a toss up with Chris Ovdiyenko’s Calaveras deck. Both guys have a style that I greatly admire.

Q: What deck that you do not have would you most like to have?

A: Blue Blood by Uusi. I absolutely adored the style and the artwork.

Q: What would you like to see in the design of a new deck?

A: Because I favor illustrative styles, I would like to see something that challenges the format and showcases unique artwork.

Q: Do you have any thoughts on the future of playing cards?

A: I think Kickstarter has been good and bad for the collector. There is a large variety of decks to choose from but as with anything, it allows for both good quality and substandard stuff. I hope that the quality and originality rise to the top.

Q: Is there anything groundbreaking you want to try out in a future deck design/project?

A: I don’t know about groundbreaking, but I definitely plan on playing around with some cool ideas and some different artistic styles.

Q: How do you feel about kickstarter/crowd funding platforms?

A: Kickstarter is a great community. It gives people who like a lot of the same things a way to come together. It also allows people who may not have otherwise had the means to create something beautiful a way to do so. It can be good and bad though, because with that success comes a level of expectation that is sometimes detrimental. People see that dollar amount and make assumptions about the cost associated with producing these products.

Q: Do you have any words of wisdom for new and budding designers?

A: Work hard and focus on a subject you really enjoy. Try to make something that fans and collectors can both get behind.
That being the basic interview, please help me welcome Shane back to UC where he's been many times before to be roasted before. :lol:

Shane currently is working with Tabz' "The Game is On!" project on kickstarter at the beginning of this two-month Featured Artist period, and I'm certain that he has plenty more up his sleeve because Shane never sleeps! He just came off the follow-up "Extended" campaign for his wildly successful "Cthuhlu - The Writhing Dark" campaign.
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: UC Featured Artist for June/July Shane Tyree

Just a note that although we are featuring Shane as or Artist for the next two months, he's VERY busy right now, as should any truly popular artist be! Please feel free to post questions and observations here, but Shane will be responding during time available, and we can't guarantee the it will be quick...
>Mike<
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
dazzleguts
White Whale: Das Kartenspiel Des Oberdeutsc
Decks Owned: 885

Unread post by dazzleguts »

Shane, is running your own studio going to be more or less difficult than working for others?
I imagine there will be more creative freedom, but you will also have to take care of all the administrative work now. The money will also all be your own now, both production money going out and sales money coming in. Does the independence outweigh the added work and responsibility?
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"
Shane_Tyree
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Shane_Tyree »

Yes it does. Being able to chart your own course is pretty awesome. It can be much more uncertain, but that's the nature of doing anything on your own. It's been a challenge, but I dunno if it's more or less than any other kind of transition would be.
nECr0MaNCeD
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 677

Unread post by nECr0MaNCeD »

Shane;
Thanks for taking the time to do this interview and answer questions. I think we all understand how busy you are. I am a sucker for your style so will be a customer for quite awhile.

An odd question but given your style and tastes.... have you heard of or read any of Brian Lumley's work? His Necroscope series is great and he also has a Cthulhu Mythos series as well.

PS My Aunt's in-laws have the same last name. You wouldn't be from NJ would you?
If it's too loud.... you're too old!
Shane_Tyree
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

nECr0MaNCeD wrote:Shane;
Thanks for taking the time to do this interview and answer questions. I think we all understand how busy you are. I am a sucker for your style so will be a customer for quite awhile.

An odd question but given your style and tastes.... have you heard of or read any of Brian Lumley's work? His Necroscope series is great and he also has a Cthulhu Mythos series as well.

PS My Aunt's in-laws have the same last name. You wouldn't be from NJ would you?
Hey no problem, Mike has been pretty amazing in supporting me, and UC is one of, if not the, biggest collector community out there. Thank you for your compliments and your patronage, it means a lot to all of us creator/operators to hear that kind of praise.

Yes actually! My friend William turned me on to Brian Lumley years ago. I think his take on vampirism and the whole necroscope mythos was really well done. There are a lot of great writers out there with a strong Lovecraftian vibe, William Todd Rose, Mark Z. Danielewski, my favorite at the moment is Joe Hill. Lumley is definitely one of my favorites.

As to Jersey, nope I am originally from Michigan. Although I have never seen a lot of Tyrees anywhere so I wouldn't be surprised if there were a connection.

Thanks for your questions!

Shane
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for taking time out of your insanely busy schedule, Shane! I'm kind of up to my eyeballs in stuff right now myself, but I still try to read every single message here, it's become a problem because they simply don't make 30-hour days and even I need to get 3 or 4 hours' sleep once in a while...
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

dazzleguts
White Whale: Das Kartenspiel Des Oberdeutsc
Decks Owned: 885

Unread post by dazzleguts »

What are those 15 decks you have Shane? Are any of them vintage?

Speaking of strong Lovecraftian vibes China Mieville has crafted some great short stories in that vein. The story "Details" is especially good. Being a fan myself I'll have to check out those names you threw out.
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"
nECr0MaNCeD
Decks Owned: 677

Unread post by nECr0MaNCeD »

dazzleguts wrote:What are those 15 decks you have Shane? Are any of them vintage?

Speaking of strong Lovecraftian vibes China Mieville has crafted some great short stories in that vein. The story "Details" is especially good. Being a fan myself I'll have to check out those names you threw out.

I'll be checking them out also. You could do worse than starting with Brian Lumley's Necroscope series. You'll have to like Vampires though..... :o
If it's too loud.... you're too old!
BirchsBeer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by BirchsBeer »

Cool interview. Where can I check your cards out Shane? I didn't see pics. Mine can be found here: dfbirch.com/playingcards.html I'm pretty new to the site but I am working on my second deck which will have a 5th suit. I've been playing 5 suit Hold Em' which I call Five Borrough Poker since I live in Brooklyn. There are other decks with 5 suits like Stardeck which has the rating system for a 5 suited poker game. (flushes beat a fh with 5 suits!) Anyways, want to connect more with other like minded designers and illustrators producing packs on our own. My first deck was made 5 years ago and is finally getting momentum behind it from sales.(mostly because of this awesome site!) Catch ya later!
shadowkat

Unread post by shadowkat »

Being that you are new to playing cards, I was wondering if you have any EPCC decks and what you think of them in comparison to the USPCC decks. Would you consider using EPCC or LPCC for a future release? I love your work and have every deck! The Synthesis tuck case blows my mind every time I grab it. If I didn't love Cthulhu so much Synthesis would be my favorite. Thanks for taking the time to shed some light on yourself for us. :D
Shane_Tyree
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

dazzleguts wrote:What are those 15 decks you have Shane? Are any of them vintage?

I have the following decks Dazzle

White Actuators, Sherlock (Baker St.), Fed 52, Calaveras, Quicksilver, Necronomicon, The Grid, Pagan, Royal Optik, Black Ghosts, KEM Stargazers, Alchemy

None of those are vintage, that's how new I am :)
BirchsBeer wrote:Cool interview. Where can I check your cards out Shane? I didn't see pics. Mine can be found here: dfbirch.com/playingcards.html I'm pretty new to the site but I am working on my second deck which will have a 5th suit. I've been playing 5 suit Hold Em' which I call Five Borrough Poker since I live in Brooklyn. There are other decks with 5 suits like Stardeck which has the rating system for a 5 suited poker game. (flushes beat a fh with 5 suits!) Anyways, want to connect more with other like minded designers and illustrators producing packs on our own. My first deck was made 5 years ago and is finally getting momentum behind it from sales.(mostly because of this awesome site!) Catch ya later!
Birch here's a link to all of my decks below

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14 ... nav_search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14 ... ?ref=users" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14 ... ?ref=users" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/77 ... g-cards-an" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/77 ... ed-edition" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks I'd love to chat with you some time. There is some contact info on my site :-)
shadowkat wrote:Being that you are new to playing cards, I was wondering if you have any EPCC decks and what you think of them in comparison to the USPCC decks. Would you consider using EPCC or LPCC for a future release? I love your work and have every deck! The Synthesis tuck case blows my mind every time I grab it. If I didn't love Cthulhu so much Synthesis would be my favorite. Thanks for taking the time to shed some light on yourself for us. :D
I actually don't (that I know of) although I am not averse to trying them for sure. I would have to get a hold of some samples. I love the USPCC but there are some things I want to do that they just can't. If I could find someplace that did, I would try them out in a heartbeat.
Sher
Decks Owned: 100

Unread post by Sher »

Hi Shane,

You mentioned that Mark Danielewski has a Lovecraft vibe? I have a book by him, House of Leaves. I've been meaning to read it, but I just haven't had the time.... Have you read it? If so, how was it?
Shane_Tyree
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Sher wrote:Hi Shane,

You mentioned that Mark Danielewski has a Lovecraft vibe? I have a book by him, House of Leaves. I've been meaning to read it, but I just haven't had the time.... Have you read it? If so, how was it?

I have and it was wonderful. Very cool way to play with the medium. When it came out originally it was in bits and pieces, mimicking different parts of the narrative being collected by various sources over the years. Very cool read.
shadowkat

Unread post by shadowkat »

Shane_Tyree wrote:
shadowkat wrote:Being that you are new to playing cards, I was wondering if you have any EPCC decks and what you think of them in comparison to the USPCC decks. Would you consider using EPCC or LPCC for a future release? I love your work and have every deck! The Synthesis tuck case blows my mind every time I grab it. If I didn't love Cthulhu so much Synthesis would be my favorite. Thanks for taking the time to shed some light on yourself for us. :D
I actually don't (that I know of) although I am not averse to trying them for sure. I would have to get a hold of some samples. I love the USPCC but there are some things I want to do that they just can't. If I could find someplace that did, I would try them out in a heartbeat.
I hear that the Expert Playing Card Company is very approachable and I am sure they will send you some samples. They can do super thin borders and really great registration. An example on the registration is Paul Carpenter's Zenith deck. The Legends Deck shows the super thin borders. They feel different than USPCC decks and have a strange smell. The smell goes away after a bit. I am not a great cardist or Magician so my opinion on the handling isn't the best, but I enjoy them. The USPCC still holds the number one space because they are made in the USA!