UC Featured Artist for August and September - Lotrek

A new featured deck designer/artist every other month!
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

UC Featured Artist for August and September - Lotrek

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Q: When did you start doing graphic design, and how did you get into designing playing cards? 

I don't really remember when. It seems that I was always doing graphic design along with illustration work. There was no certain point in time when I begun. 
I got into playing card design when I took the job to design "Timeless" and "Butterfly" decks for RSVP magic.

Q: Do you collect playing cards?

A little while ago, the answer would have been "no". But eventually I got into buying decks that I find interesting for various reasons. The tuck, the stock, the courts... It's not the same to see a deck on the screen and hold it in your hands, although I have enough experience to understand how a deck I see in a picture is in real life.

Q: How many decks are in your collection? 

Well, it's a little shelf, let's avoid calling it "a collection" !

Q: What types of decks do you collect?
I'll tell you what decks I don't collect: Decks with completely standard courts. Especially those with the blue outline. I hate it!

Q: What is your favorite deck of the ones you have, and why? 
I like black  Artisans very much, mainly because of the back and tuck case design. I also like Lorenzo's Requiem and Ovydienko's "Oracle". They both are very innovative in approaching the courts' design.

Q: What deck that you do not have would you most like to have?

Hmmm, let me think... I guess a very old deck. I'm obsessed with objects that carry the passing of the time with them.

Q: What would you like to see in the design of a new deck? 
Again, I'll give a negative answer. I don't want to see repetition and money grabs. No more days of the dead. I want to see effort, innovation, and respect for the collectors.

Q: Do you have any thoughts on the future of playing cards? 

Yes, I'm thinking about it a lot. I believe that we are going to see interesting things regarding design. There is a growing community of artists doing their best to outdo themselves. I'm expecting that this will lead to great decks.On the other hand, as the market is rather inflated, I believe that collectors will be more and more selective. This will make talented artists to further improve their work and bad artists to vanish from the frame.

Q: Is there anything groundbreaking you want to try out in a future deck design/project? 

To be honest I don't like talking about future plans. But I can say that now I want to perfect the process of foiling the back of the cards as I first tried in Gold Venexiana. Once I conquer perfection (or something close to it) I'll further experiment with it. I'm not really after groundbreaking stuff, I'm after beauty. If this happens to be groundbreaking sometimes, even better!

Q: How do you feel about crowd funding platforms? 

My feelings are controversial. Crowd funding is obviously great for an artist as it secures funding and shows the potential of a deck before it hits the market. But it makes me very anxious. I had a horrible experience with the delay in the production of Grotesque deck and I really hate not being able to do what I promise. I had people waiting for months, while they had payed for it from day1.
So for me crowdfunding is at the same time helpful and stressful! 
As for platforms (and we're talking about KS) should be more caring towards the backers. Many people have lost a lot of money because of some creators' intended fraud or just bad planning. Of course KS cannot possibly control or check all the projects it hosts: Their campaigns range from space exploration to toys for kittens. This is the big advantage of CardLauncher: The expertise in the field. A crowd funding platform that is dedicated only to playing cards with people who know from inside how the industry works and what are the "risks and challenges".

Q: Do you have any words of wisdom for new and budding designers?

-Never "rest on your laurels". If you're good, you have to continue being good and become better. People won't buy a crappy deck of yours just because once you had done a great deck.

-Never say "you don't count to me" for anyone. If you start thinking that way, soon nobody will count to you. And eventually you won't count to anyone either. 
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Re: UC Featured Artist for August and September - Lotrek

Unread post by volantangel »

Brilliant read guys ! Now as much as you don't like to talk about future plans, why not hit us with some concepts when you have the time !
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

It is with great pleasure that I welcome Lotrek to a new two-month run as our "UC Featured Artist" for August and September. Don't be bashful: ask questions: I placed the standard Q&A in the OP above, and it doesn't show up as being updated because I actually created that post back months ago. Lotrek is working on some dark beautires: "Dark Venexiana" right now, and I can tell you - we're going to really enjoy these decks, and I already know there are several twists and turns ahead, but I will spare everyone the torture and torment, because when August 15th comes here in a little more than 11 days, we're going to see the first reveal when his project launches at 12:01AM on CardLauncher Friday, the 15th, although I expect we'll see some first looks in the "Dark Venexiana" thread as well. Let's get him while we can folks - from 15-August until 18-September are going to be running a crowdfunding project, so he'll be one busy fellow - as if he hasn't already burned the candle at both ends getting the second print of V Gold done & shipped!
>Mike<
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Lotrek »

Mike Ratledge wrote: Let's get him while we can folks - from 15-August until 18-September are going to be running a crowdfunding project, so he'll be one busy fellow - as if he hasn't already burned the candle at both ends getting the second print of V Gold done & shipped!
You mean that now I'm not a busy fellow? :lol:

But seriously guys, ask whatever (playing card related, eh?) you want. I'm working on this deck which happened to be ready for launch exactly one year after the first Venexiana. I have many plans for the future so we can discuss a bit -without revealing too much, right Mike?
"Bite more than you can chew and then chew it"

----------------------------------------------------------
fb: https://www.facebook.com/oathplayingcards/
twitter:@OathPCC
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lotrek wrote:But seriously guys, ask whatever (playing card related, eh?) you want. I'm working on this deck which happened to be ready for launch exactly one year after the first Venexiana. I have many plans for the future so we can discuss a bit -without revealing too much, right Mike?
Who, me? I know no-thing... :roll:
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

nECr0MaNCeD
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 677

Unread post by nECr0MaNCeD »

Lotrek;
Thanks for being the current Featured artist. Sorry to hear about the delays for "Grotesque". I was unable to pledge for these due to financial timing. Once you fulfill your backer's pledges will there be any to sell?
If it's too loud.... you're too old!
Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Lotrek »

Yes, you can get them through my website:

http://www.halfmoonplayingcards.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

I remember before the old UC disappeared, you were working on an Asian themed deck. Whatever happened to it? Scrapped idea?
Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Lotrek »

No, I just realized that it was going towards an artistic direction that I didn't eventually like. I think I'll revisit the theme in the future but later.

Sher
Decks Owned: 100

Unread post by Sher »

This might have been explained somewhere, but what is the story behind the name Half Moon Playing Cards? And Lotrek is after Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec?
Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Lotrek »

HMPC is just a name I like. No particular story apart from my love for planets (but not astrology) ;) However, I might change this name to a short one that I also like.

Lotrek is indeed after Henri de Toulouse Lautrec.

The thing with the names is that I don't believe they're really important. They're just names to recognize who is who.

Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

You mentioned before that your decks are mostly inspired by places you've visited. What inspired you for timeless and butterfly? What's the story behind the different times depicted on the timeless clocks and could you explain their gaffs? The jack with the smashed clock and the king of hearts with a different time.
dazzleguts
White Whale: Das Kartenspiel Des Oberdeutsc
Decks Owned: 885

Unread post by dazzleguts »

Considering your interest in the planets have you ever thought of doing a deck related to astronomy? Of course that's a "place" mostly visited in the imagination, and through science, rather than in person.

I would love to see a treatment of current astronomical knowledge, but in an old world style.
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"
Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Lotrek »

@ Eoghan:

"Timeless" and "Butterfly" were commissioned to me by RSVP. They are not my ideas, although I tried to make them "my way". Places I visit are not directly sources of inspiration. Venice for example obviously inspired me "Venexiana" but other cities have given me material for decks through books I found in bookstors there, or through a sign in the street, or a poster somewhere. It's just essential to change places in order to refresh your thoughts and ideas.

@ Dazzleguts: This is an idea I've played around with and it's possible that you'll something like that. But not soon... I have 4 decks now in the pipeline and I'm working on these. All 4 are completely different in style.

Jock1971

Unread post by Jock1971 »

Hi Lotrek.
I too want to thank you for being the Featured Artist.
I love the butterfly deck so a few questions about that and your other commissions if i may.
Do you find working on commission work more difficult than on your own ideas ? Do you like More or Less communication from the clients during the process ? How Do you like working to a time deadline? Do you impose a limit to the amount of time you take on your own decks ?
Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Lotrek »

These are interesting questions Jock1971,

I always pick up jobs that fit me or at least that I find challenging. In that sense, these jobs become "mine" regardless of the fact that they're commissions.
The deadline always helps. I tend to work on a deck over and over again, fixing things that nobody will ever notice and this can go on forever. So someone has to take it off my hands at some point! Deadlines do exactly this work.
As for communication with the client, the most I like the project, the less I want to hear. However I'm always open to suggestions and if I feel that the client is right, I have no problem at all to change things. I'm not stubborn and I think that every artist should be able to see his/her work as if it was done by an other: With no mercy 8-)

And sorry for the delayed answer :-)

Jock1971

Hi Lotrek :D
Thanks for the reply to my questions, a few more if i may.
You say deadline`s stop you from reworking decks to death. i bet there are many of your decks that you think "If only i did that instead of this". If you had to choose 1 thing to go back and rework from any of your decks what would it be?
The style of your Butterfly deck reminds me of the artist Alphonse Mucha, Who`s works i admire.Is this Style one you would like to explore more ?
And last question.. As an Artist what medium are you most comfortable with ? Is it all done on computer or do you like getting your hand`s dirty "old School" with pencil,ink,paints ?
RandCo
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by RandCo »

This is a question for developing card designers. In your opinion, what rules can and can't be broken when designing the court cards? What should designers be considering most when designing court cards?
Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Lotrek »

@Jock1971:

You say deadline`s stop you from reworking decks to death. i bet there are many of your decks that you think "If only i did that instead of this". If you had to choose 1 thing to go back and rework from any of your decks what would it be?

- Nothing spectacular. It's mostly tiny lines and other details like an arm being a bit long or the way I've done a cloth folding. Really tiny things. Thankfully, when I decide on the general style of a deck, I stick to that.

The style of your Butterfly deck reminds me of the artist Alphonse Mucha, Who`s works i admire.Is this Style one you would like to explore more ?

- Absolutely. In fact I'm planning to do a deck which will be as if Alphonse Mucha had done a playing card deck. My ambition is to make it look like exactly as a posthumous Mucha work. :-)

And last question.. As an Artist what medium are you most comfortable with ? Is it all done on computer or do you like getting your hand`s dirty "old School" with pencil,ink,paints ?

- I use pencil only at the first stages and drawings for a deck. Sometimes -as I did with Grotesque- I do a more finished version with pencil. But all other work is done on the computer.

Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Lotrek »

RandCo wrote:This is a question for developing card designers. In your opinion, what rules can and can't be broken when designing the court cards? What should designers be considering most when designing court cards?
I really cannot say what one SHOULD do. I can only say what I do or don't. So, about rules: My principle is that I never forget that the cards are for playing, even if many collectors never open their decks. People should be able to quickly see and understand the indices etc. No very small or very extravagant indices or pips. Do whatever you want, just let me know what this damn card is. Is it a Joker or an Ace of Spades?

In general I believe that rules are there to be broken but not completely demolished. This is too easy.

Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Lotrek »

Lotrek wrote:
RandCo wrote:This is a question for developing card designers. In your opinion, what rules can and can't be broken when designing the court cards? What should designers be considering most when designing court cards?
I really cannot say what one SHOULD do. I can only say what I do or don't. So, about rules: My principle is that I never forget that the cards are for playing, even if many collectors never open their decks. People should be able to quickly see and understand the indices etc. No very small or very extravagant indices or pips. Do whatever you want, just let me know what this damn card is. Is it a Joker or an Ace of Spades?

In general I believe that rules are there to be broken but not completely demolished. Demolition is too easy.

P.S.: Oh, I forgot my Golden rule: No more Cthulhu decks! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jock1971

Hiya Lotrek.
I have received my Grotesque cards over the weekend and would like to say they are fantastic , i know you were a bit bummed about the delays but The cards were well worth the wait.
Lotrek wrote:@Jock1971:

- Absolutely. In fact I'm planning to do a deck which will be as if Alphonse Mucha had done a playing card deck. My ambition is to make it look like exactly as a posthumous Mucha work. :-)
Wow...i wasn`t expecting that. That is excellent news.

Would you consider doing a double deck of cards in the one pack (like the Piatnik double sets) As most card projects are likely to do a standard version and a Limited version, with the only difference being the colour of the backs i don`t know why they just don`t put them all in the same tuck? maybe something to consider.

Speaking of tuck boxes, what is your opinion of the latest Tuck designs. Can a tuck with just beautiful artwork alone make it in todays market(where most collectors don`t even open their packs) or do you think you need to bling the tuck out to the max ? What is your thoughts on Side opening tucks and cigarette style opening tucks ?

And a last question...Have you thought about doing a Transformation deck :lol:
-jase-
Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Lotrek »

I guess they don't put both versions in the same tuck because one of the two is usually limited in number, so where they'll put the rest decks of the other edition?

As for the tuck cases, I like them all! Each one is (or gives the possibilities) for different design. Generally I believe that there is nothing that can stand by itself. A fancy opening is nothing without good artwork.

Godzillian

Unread post by Godzillian »

Love your work Lotrek. Don't know how I feel about Dark Venexiana in CardLauncher instead of KS, but best wishes for your campaign there.

(1) Will you ever work with EPCC?

(2) Will you ever design & release a "staple" deck?

(3) Any collaborations with any artists coming up?

(4) Have you ever thought about doing a semi-standard deck for local shops around in Venice? By semi-standard, I mean custom back, custom Ace & Jokers, but standard index and face cards. Why/why not?
Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Lotrek »

Thanks Godzillian,

Okay. Answers:

1) EPCC: Venexiana Dark will be printed with EPCC.

2) Staple deck: Definitely YES and I can say, pretty soon! I'm working on it. Okay, not right now but you will see some stuff soon.

3) No, not yet.

4) No, Venice has a too rich background to limit myself in just custom back and aces. And I think after Dark Venexiana I'm done with the theme. Time to move on. ;-)

Godzillian

Unread post by Godzillian »

Lotrek wrote:Thanks Godzillian,

Okay. Answers:

Wow I really can't read/research. I haven't been following up with Venexiana Dark but I'm disappointed I didn't check first :\

Thanks for answering Lotrek :) Looking forward to that staple deck! Any hints on the theme / crowd-funding platform?
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Godzillian wrote:
Lotrek wrote:Thanks Godzillian,

Okay. Answers:

Wow I really can't read/research. I haven't been following up with Venexiana Dark but I'm disappointed I didn't check first :\

Thanks for answering Lotrek :) Looking forward to that staple deck! Any hints on the theme / crowd-funding platform?
*smh* - it's on CardLauncher right now, buddy. It's about 43% funded after the first week. I think 25 days to go?
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Collector

Unread post by Collector »

Lotrek, congrats.
EndersGame
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes

Unread post by EndersGame »

I realize this is an older thread, but there are only three threads in the "UC Featured Deck Artist/Designer" sub-forum, this being one of them. I only just came across this now, and really enjoyed reading Lotrek's answers to the questions he was asked. It's always helpful to get some insights into the background of a designer, and learn about the different factors that have influenced his designs and his journey, especially since Lotrek comes from a non-playing card background.

I recently did a series of articles covering Lotrek's major designs, and this thread ties in nicely with that. Since his first designs (Timeless in 2011 & Butterfly in 2012), Lotrek's style has really evolved and progressed in a different direction from how he started. Especially his more recent "Treasure series" (which began in 2016 with Icons and Liturgy) shows a real passion for Byzantine art, creative and intensive use of foil, plus innovative and luxurious packaging. These are definitely `high end' playing cards! This culminated recently when at this year's Diamond Awards from 52 Plus Joker Lotrek won "Deck of the Year 2017" for his Golden Oath deck - congratulations Lotrek!

People interested in seeing more about Lotrek's decks may want to check out the two pictorial articles I recently posted, in which I covered all of his major designs:

Playing cards to treasure from Lotrek (Part 1): Timeless, Butterfly, VeneXiana, and Grotesque
Playing cards to treasure from Lotrek (Part 2): Icons, Liturgy, Golden Oath, Sanctus, and Ambassadors

--
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame => Playing Card Reviews <=>Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=