Michael Scotts` restoration of Andrew Dougherty`s Triplicates from 1876A brief History of Andrew Dougherty Playing Card Company 1848-1930
Andrew Dougherty was a hard working Irish immigrant that used his own savings to start a small printing house and playing card manufacturing company. Although his cards were rough at first, his persistence and hard work led to his company becoming one of the most influential manufacturers of his time.
First Edition Wrapper,Tuck,Back,Ace & Best Bower
In 1872 he built a manufacturing plant located on Centre Street in New York, just a block away from the Brooklyn Bridge. With the new building Dougherty`s innovation shined through as he changed the playing card industry. His playing cards from the Centre St. factory had double heads and featured rounded corners. Both of these breakthroughs were advertised on the back of his famous eagle wrappers.
Second Edition Wrapper,Tuck,Back,Ace & Joker
In 1876 Dougherty was awarded a U.S. Patent for his triplicate cards. The triplicate was a miniature card placed in the top left and bottom right corners. It was a revolution in the way cards could be held and viewed. The decorative ace of spades and the wrapper for the first No.18 triplicate deck showed a fanned hand of cards with the triplicate miniature indices viewable on each card. The first deck of triplicate cards came with a best bower, which was later replaced by a joker.
The only competition that Dougherty faced with the triplicates was the Squeezers cards from the New York Consolidated Card Co. The patent that the NYCCC acquired for the squeezers cards was for the modern indices that we see now on all playing cards. Dougherty printed his triplicates until 1883 when he was issued another patent for his indicator cards. Like the squeeezers, the indicators featured a number and letter indices printed outside the border.
Andrew Dougherty passed away at the age of 78 in 1905. His sons ran his business for two years following his death and then sold the company to the United States Playing Card Company in 1907. The USPCC continued to run the A. Dougherty manufacturing company until 1930 when they merged it with the New York Consolidated-Dougherty Card Co. Inc. They ran consolidated-Dougherty as a division of USPCC until 1962 when they retired the label, bringing all labels and decks under the USPCC umbrella.
*Text taken from the Kickstarter Project Page.
Thanks for looking at my cards