Art deck playing cards

Anything and everything related to PLAYING CARD projects on crowdfunding sites EXCEPT the threads about specific projects, which go in "New & Custom Decks"
Forum rules
Kickstarter "Hall of Shame" here: http://www.unitedcardists.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=4317" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hic6

Art deck playing cards

Unread post by hic6 »

Hi all Cardists,

I'm new to this site and planning on launching a card deck on KS but hope to get some feedback on questions. Hope you guys can help me out?

1) What are the chances of an pictorial/art deck being successful? I know most of you buy decks because of its usability for card games & magic tricks (ie. 2 way courts & pattern on backside). Is that a big deal breaker for you all?

I have gone thru most of the KS project threads on this site and noted this was a concern raised quite a few times. (BTW, thanks for all u on gathering this info, very useful.)

2) The chances of printing with Legends depends on number of backers...but for lower quantities to get the project funded, printing with MPC seems the only option?

3) Does anyone know how these companies charge for fulfilment? or what the breakdown costs of running a card campaign is? so i get some idea ...

thanks
ecNate
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 400

Re: Art deck playing cards

Unread post by ecNate »

hic6 wrote:1) What are the chances of an pictorial/art deck being successful? I know most of you buy decks because of its usability for card games & magic tricks (ie. 2 way courts & pattern on backside). Is that a big deal breaker for you all?
It can be done. See Ultimate Deck, Art of Play, Goverdose, 52 Aces, Gig Posters, etc. These have been quite popular and would be considered success, but they were mostly self funded and not Kickstarter. I have a feeling you might have a slightly more difficult time there, but I think it can still be possible.
hic6

Unread post by hic6 »

thanks for the feedback nate
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Playing Arts was Kickstartered and did pretty well. If the artwork is solid enough, fish will bite. Got any sneak peeks for us? :)

Are there many artists involved?

And when it comes to art decks we've come to expect that playing card "rules" don't necessarily apply to them. So it's ok.

But it would definitely be an interesting approach to actually conform to the rules yet each artist can give each card their own spin. Kind of like an art collab transformation deck!
hic6

Unread post by hic6 »

Eoghann wrote:Playing Arts was Kickstartered and did pretty well. If the artwork is solid enough, fish will bite. Got any sneak peeks for us? :)

Are there many artists involved?

And when it comes to art decks we've come to expect that playing card "rules" don't necessarily apply to them. So it's ok.

But it would definitely be an interesting approach to actually conform to the rules yet each artist can give each card their own spin. Kind of like an art collab transformation deck!
Hi Eoghann,

Initially, intended it as a a gift to multiple friends and going thru MPC to print but a friend suggested to give it a go on KS. I did check out Playing Arts...very awesome stuff...and definitely dont even see many decks comparing to their variety/calibre.

I did scour the forums here thru most of KS threads and have still been modifying the deck to be more functional after taking in a lot of members' comments (ie. 2 way facing courts, proper way of using suits / indices properly..even noting one guy here mentioning that suits shouldnt be placed too close to the numbers or too far away from edge)..but i think in the end it will be down to preference of whether people like the art

I hope to get things finalize then will hope to get your feedback ^^
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

How about before finalizing anything, you show us what you have so far? Better to make changes early then work too much past the point of "ah, I'll just leave it as is." :lol: