KickScammed.com

Anything and everything related to PLAYING CARD projects on crowdfunding sites EXCEPT the threads about specific projects, which go in "New & Custom Decks"
Forum rules
Kickstarter "Hall of Shame" here: http://www.unitedcardists.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=4317" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
montecarlojoe
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Re: kickstarter.com "Kick back" campaign

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

I like the idea of the site, but maybe have some carrot as well as stick - article to highlight exemplars of well run campaigns for high quality goods perhaps? Or guides for HOW to run a campaign...
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

montecarlojoe wrote:I like the idea of the site, but maybe have some carrot as well as stick - article to highlight exemplars of well run campaigns for high quality goods perhaps? Or guides for HOW to run a campaign...
Both good ideas. It can also have a feedback section for projects that haven't launched yet, where creators can post previews of their project page and get constructive criticism on layout, reward levels etc.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
montecarlojoe

MagikFingerz wrote:
montecarlojoe wrote:I like the idea of the site, but maybe have some carrot as well as stick - article to highlight exemplars of well run campaigns for high quality goods perhaps? Or guides for HOW to run a campaign...
Both good ideas. It can also have a feedback section for projects that haven't launched yet, where creators can post previews of their project page and get constructive criticism on layout, reward levels etc.
Good point - perhaps the section for presentation and feedback could be separate from an area where the site independently gives its (as far as possible) objective preview of the project.

you could take that a step further:

Project previews: Which give a rating based on the criteria that have been outlined here, and creator "Rep".
Project reviews: Which give a rating based on the actual outcomes, times scales, communication etc.
Product Rating: Your basic review of the deck/other product etc
Creator Rep: Based on Project Review and Product ratings

This way the more projects you complete well and with a product at a high standard gives you more rep, which then feeds back to better preview ratings in the future - if the site gets enough exposure in the community and people care it's then to creator's advantage to COMPLETE before starting again...

I think the focus on the projects rather than fawning over the look of decks is a novel idea - NO-ONE does it outside of these forum type discussions...
BMPokerworld

Unread post by BMPokerworld »

montecarlojoe wrote:
MagikFingerz wrote:
Good point - perhaps the section for presentation and feedback could be separate from an area where the site independently gives its (as far as possible) objective preview of the project.

Project previews: Which give a rating based on the criteria that have been outlined here, and creator "Rep".
Project reviews: Which give a rating based on the actual outcomes, times scales, communication etc.

This way the more projects you complete well and with a product at a high standard gives you more rep, which then feeds back to better preview ratings in the future - if the site gets enough exposure in the community and people care it's then to creator's advantage to COMPLETE before starting again...

I think the focus on the projects rather than fawning over the look of decks is a novel idea - NO-ONE does it outside of these forum type discussions...
Those are all good suggestions, but in the end it won't matter. A perfect example is the Persian Nights deck. You have people on this forum who backed that deck the second time around despite all of the lies he told during the first campaign. Things like that just drive me nuts, but you can only take them to the water, you can't make them drink it.

Thanks!
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

montecarlojoe wrote: Good point - perhaps the section for presentation and feedback could be separate from an area where the site independently gives its (as far as possible) objective preview of the project.

I think product rating would be somewhat irrelevant and too subjective to be included. If the goal is objectivity, the only thing that matters is that the product matches what is promised by the creator. That should probably be covered in the "project reviews" section anyway.

Other than that, everything sounds like it would work well. Hopefully The Ratman can find a web programmer to get this going soon :)
BMPokerworld wrote:Those are all good suggestions, but in the end it won't matter. A perfect example is the Persian Nights deck. You have people on this forum who backed that deck the second time around despite all of the lies he told during the first campaign. Things like that just drive me nuts, but you can only take them to the water, you can't make them drink it.

Thanks!
People will always do stupid things, it's human nature. That shouldn't stop anyone from trying to make a difference.
- Tom

Check out my collection

Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

I agree toally with this as well, and that's the point: we won't just be disapproving of people that aren't honest or fail to deliver in a timely fashion, we'll be highlighting trustworthy new projects that we see as a good investment for "All Things Kickstarter". That being said, I have to realize that there are a whole lot of things other than playing cards, but "you can do anything with statistics". :lol:

I'd like to make it pretty much self-sustaining in that it will actually be able to pick and possibly predict the success of a new project down the road after it gets to the basic goal, which is tracking the "Good, Bad & Ugly" projects and creators. That would be interesting, and again - something that I have no clue how to program, but - I'm certain it's doable.
MagikFingerz wrote:
Also sounds good. Keep them coming. By the time we have a good couple of pages here, I think we'll know exactly what directions to take in addition to the basic goal which is to scold and discourage people from backing projects by people that have previously been naughty, but at the same time we want to encourage people to back projects when the designed has a new project and he's been nice. (must be getting close to the holidays, I don't usually talk this way)
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

MagikFingerz wrote:
montecarlojoe wrote: Good point - perhaps the section for presentation and feedback could be separate from an area where the site independently gives its (as far as possible) objective preview of the project.

I think product rating would be somewhat irrelevant and too subjective to be included. If the goal is objectivity, the only thing that matters is that the product matches what is promised by the creator. That should probably be covered in the "project reviews" section anyway.

Other than that, everything sounds like it would work well. Hopefully The Ratman can find a web programmer to get this going soon :)
BMPokerworld wrote:Those are all good suggestions, but in the end it won't matter. A perfect example is the Persian Nights deck. You have people in this forum who backed that deck the second time around despite all of the lies he told during the first campaign. Things like that just drive me nuts, but you can only take them to the water, you can't make them drink it.

Thanks!
People will always do stupid things, it's human nature. That shouldn't stop anyone from trying to make a difference.
Good points, at first I guess it's best to focus on the difference between good project management and followthrough and those that do neither. If we start out giving people an open forum, we'll end up having a couple of people 'blow their horn' on the site, only to turn around and end up on the 'naughty' list later, which wouldn't help the site's credibility.

Second one goes back to "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink". No matter how much we publicize the fact that certain people just aren't worth backing, you'll still have people like Cy that somehow backed his own project by the tune of $1000 overnight when it was destined to fail, only to see it squeek by with obviously not enough funding - or he wouldn't have been back at the watering hole less than six weeks later. "You can show an idiot they're stupid, but even with a 2x4, you can't beat sense into him".

I'm hoping somebody with good coding skilz steps up to the plate, too. I'm not bad at it, I'm just not good at it, either - and I know the difference between an OK site and a great site and a freakin' fabulous site.

I want to at least hit the middle of that curve, at least - if not towards the "looking good" side.
>Mike<
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
th4mo

Unread post by th4mo »

Is this new imagined site supposed to cover just playing card KS projects, or ALL KS projects?

If it's all of KS, than you are talking about a huge undertaking that i believe is way beyond the capabilities of a few talented amateurs in their spare time...

If it's just cards projects, and you want to:

-discuss the merits of various newly -launched KS projects
-spread the word about disreputable creators
-highlight and praise successful creators

well, i can think of a few websites already in existence that already do this, although without a formal rating system. ;)
Keep it Sizzlin'!
BMPokerworld

th4mo wrote:Is this new imagined site supposed to cover just playing card KS projects, or ALL KS projects?

If it's all of KS, than you are talking about a huge undertaking that i believe is way beyond the capabilities of a few talented amateurs in their spare time...

well, i can think of a few websites already in existence that already do this, although without a formal rating system. ;)
Actually we can do those same things because they people who would actually research that information are probably the members here.

Thanks!
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

th4mo wrote:Is this new imagined site supposed to cover just playing card KS projects, or ALL KS projects?

Yep, I know. I've thought about it, and right now it would have to be limited to playing cards for it to be even manageable.
BMPokerworld wrote:

Actually we can do those same things because they people who would actually research that information are probably the members here.

Thanks!
Don't think that's a bad idea, either. Just thinking about using "kickstabbers.com" to do that, seems only appropriate. :P
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

th4mo

Unread post by th4mo »

BMPokerworld wrote:

Thanks!
That was actually my point, Mike. :lol:
Thanks for picking up on it! :D
Keep it Sizzlin'!
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

As I expected, my initial complaint was met with a "No Answer, We'll get back to you":
KS_initial_response.png
KS_initial_response.png (26.4 KiB) Viewed 1802 times
Pretty much what I expected to happen until Monday "business hours". After all, if you'd made $44 million + off kickstarter pledges, you'd likely take weekends off, too.

So, who do we put on our initial "hit-list"? I know of two myself, but I am certain that there are more.
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

montecarlojoe

MagikFingerz wrote:If the goal is objectivity, the only thing that matters is that the product matches what is promised by the creator. That should probably be covered in the "project reviews" section anyway.
Whilst I agree - I'd be more inclined to praise someone higher if they promise the world and deliver, over someone who promises a deck made from cereal packets and crayons and delivers.

There must be an objective way of doing it - even if that means ignoring aesthetics (VERY subjective) and looking at manufacturing quality and functional design (can be defined, to a reasonable degree, objectively).
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmm, that is a good point. Should be doable if the site will only look at decks of cards for the time being, at least that is easily defined for us. Maybe if/when the site is expanded to all kickstarters it'll have a community that can define other products as easily.
- Tom

Check out my collection

Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

OK, I think we've had a good discussion, and I'm still looking for someone that's zealous like I am to code it up. I'll keep everyone advised of my progress - or lack thereof.
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just to bring this back current, I'm thinking about adding a new "sticky" thread for "Kickstarter lowlife", maybe just "Kickstarter disappointments" or something not too terribly "poke them in the eye", although that's exactly what it's intended to do.

I have a list of 4 or 5, maybe 6 - anybody want to add on?

Core, Vortex, Founders - surely all belong, as do several others.

Suggestions for the "hit parade"?
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

montecarlojoe

"Hall of shame" as a counterpoint to the Hall of Fame?
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

montecarlojoe wrote:"Hall of shame" as a counterpoint to the Hall of Fame?
Works for me. I'll just take the "Funded" ones out of that thread and create a new "Kickstarter Hall of Shame". Actually, I like that, Joe!
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 50

Unread post by sprouts1115 »

I like that too. So we have "Active Kickstaters", "Funded and waiting for shipment Kickstarters", "Unsuccessful Kickstarters", "Hall of Fame Kickstarters", and "Hall of Shame Kickstarters" That's 5 threads which would be a lot of work. I'm willing to help ratledge. Unsuccessful Kickstarters is an option. I actually get some information on not what to do with theses guys.... What do think the time should be for the Hall of Shame should it be 6 months from funding date? I think 6 months is plenty of time to roll out the decks...
RussellSprouts
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

sprouts1115 wrote:I like that too. So we have "Active Kickstaters", "Funded and waiting for shipment Kickstarters", "Unsuccessful Kickstarters", "Hall of Fame Kickstarters", and "Hall of Shame Kickstarters" That's 5 threads which would be a lot of work. I'm willing to help ratledge. Unsuccessful Kickstarters is an option. I actually get some information on not what to do with theses guys.... What do think the time should be for the Hall of Shame should it be 6 months from funding date? I think 6 months is plenty of time to roll out the decks...
Sounds about right, but maybe we should give them a little slide-room: make it 3 months plus what they stated or in other words 3 months overdue?
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 50

Unread post by sprouts1115 »

Hmm, I could pledge $1 for every card Kickstarter. We have what 40 successful ones a year and a bazillion that don't make it. When It hits the mark of 3 months over due. I could post on the comment section that this Kickstarter is in the "Hall of Shame" at the UC. That would in turn bring people here and hopefully some future deck makers that won't make the same mistakes...
RussellSprouts
BMPokerworld

Unfortunately it won't matter. They either don't read the comments or figure its only $10 or $15, no big deal. Case in point, how many people still go over to Aether despite the fact that Alex flat out ripped people off.

Thanks!
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

BMPokerworld wrote:Unfortunately it won't matter. They either don't read the comments or figure its only $10 or $15, no big deal. Case in point, how many people still go over to Aether despite the fact that Alex flat out ripped people off.

Thanks!
Mike aether is no longer owned by alex, its is now owned by don boyer.
BMPokerworld

volantangel wrote:
BMPokerworld wrote:Unfortunately it won't matter. They either don't read the comments or figure its only $10 or $15, no big deal. Case in point, how many people still go over to Aether despite the fact that Alex flat out ripped people off.

Thanks!
Mike aether is no longer owned by alex, its is now owned by don boyer.

Does it really matter? People were still going there when he owned it and Don doesn't breathe without Alex's permission.

Thanks!

EDIT: Alex shouldn't even be allowed on the forum to voice his opinion after ripping so many people off, he should be banned. For the record, Don sent Jay an email and said I talked it over with Alex and we would like to bury the hatchet. So Don may own it on paper, but Alex still controls it.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Interpreting "talked it over" with "reported to" or "got orders from" is a bit presumptious, isn't it?

As long as Alex never makes another deck, I don't see any problem with burying the hatchet.
- Tom

Check out my collection

BMPokerworld

MagikFingerz wrote:Interpreting "talked it over" with "reported to" or "got orders from" is a bit presumptious, isn't it?

As long as Alex never makes another deck, I don't see any problem with burying the hatchet.

Unfortunately your position on this is exactly the problem with the hobby right now. We let known thieves participate.

Thanks!

EDIT: Do you think all those people he ripped off feel the same way?
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

sprouts1115 wrote:I like that too. So we have "Active Kickstaters", "Funded and waiting for shipment Kickstarters", "Unsuccessful Kickstarters", "Hall of Fame Kickstarters", and "Hall of Shame Kickstarters" That's 5 threads which would be a lot of work. I'm willing to help ratledge. Unsuccessful Kickstarters is an option. I actually get some information on not what to do with theses guys.... What do think the time should be for the Hall of Shame should it be 6 months from funding date? I think 6 months is plenty of time to roll out the decks...
Well, we can do that pretty easily in two steps: if you'll create one for "Unsuccessful Kickstarters", I'll sticky it, and then I'll figure out how to whittle the "Successfully Funded" message into two parts, I guess. At least take those we move to the "Hall of Shame" from the "Successful" column out.

Looks like we cooked up a good 'ol sh*t storm with the comments last night! I'll have to report on the good side of things that this week I've gotten my Federal 52 Part 2 stuff, Empire from Kenzii (Lee McK), Lotrek's Venexiana decks, Chris' Day of the Dead "Cavaleras" decks and a replacement for a hurt deck from UUSI
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Brillig

Unread post by Brillig »

An interesting wrinkle - the Kickstarter UI now allows a backer to tick off a check-box when they get their rewards.

At the moment, this just looks like a book-keeping entry for backers. But this could be the start of a better feedback loop inside Kickstarter.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Brillig wrote:An interesting wrinkle - the Kickstarter UI now allows a backer to tick off a check-box when they get their rewards.

At the moment, this just looks like a book-keeping entry for backers. But this could be the start of a better feedback loop inside Kickstarter.
Oddly enough, I just found that today myself, and wondered if I had maybe never dug that deep...
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

montecarlojoe

It's definitely recent - very handy tool!

I wonder if there's an api that can pull a feed of those stats (much like sites like kicktraq does) ?

It would be invaluable to the the kickback site...