[UCUser] General Question -- Fluidity of Movements

New to this whole thing? We can help you get started!
UCUser

[UCUser] General Question -- Fluidity of Movements

Unread post by UCUser »

Hello Everyone,

I'm new here, and I want to ask a question about practicing routines.

I'm looking for a bit of guidance on fluidity of movements. For example, if you have a look at Chris Hestnes Papercuts, his moves are super fluid--even at full speed. So far on that DVD I've only got M-Wrench down. I've also looked at Genesis v1 and mastered several of those moves (not all) as well as several moves from the Internet. I feel like I can do Sybil nicely and relatively smooth most of the time, but it is a much simpler move than say all of M-Wrench. One of the biggest problems I seem to have with routines like M-Wrench is fluidity. I know I need to practice more, but I feel like practicing slow, choppy movements might only make me more prone to continue doing those slow choppy movements. Is there any good advice to build fluidity in these kind of routines? I think there are two separate aspects that I need advice on, speed and continuity/fluidity of movements.

You can see a Papercuts teaser here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qokRov2YJBU

Thanks everyone!

Jeremy
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Re: [UCUser] General Question -- Fluidity of Movements

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Practicing slow movements isn't a bad thing. It's really all about muscle memory; learning the movement first, then you'll be able to speed it up later. I'd even go as far as suggesting you try doing it even slower to reduce the "choppiness", since that might be something you'll want to eliminate. But slow is fine in the beginning.

As a strength and conditioning coach, when I want to teach someone how to squat I want them to build control and fluidity with low weights and slow movements, even though the goal is to do it with heavy weights and explosiveness. You want the motor pattern to develop for that particular movement first, THEN you build strength and speed on top of that.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki