Where to start? / List of skills in order of complexity?

New to this whole thing? We can help you get started!
Cyberkalvin

Where to start? / List of skills in order of complexity?

Unread post by Cyberkalvin »

Well, now I've got a few decks and I'm anxious to learn a lot, but... sometimes the best student is of with nothing learned, I mean, sometimes when you are learning (writing, playing music, etc) you could learn vicious practices and try to learn skills/moves without the previous one (ie. you need to practice a circle before trying to do a letter "a" when writting).

I found Theory 11 site and its video "Genesis", but although I'm just starting and there is not a great budget for this hobby, I don't know if this investment really worth it. In this way, also I'm thinking in a cheaper way to learn and spend my money in decks instead, that's why I was wondering for a list of tricks, and search in youtube for a decent tutorial for each one ^^

Regards,
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Re: Where to start? / List of skills in order of complexity?

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

I would say for an absolute beginner one should start with the one-handed Charlier cut. After getting that one down, you can start moving on to other one-handed cuts like thumb cut and scissor cut to start building up your finger strength (the two mentioned should improve your fingers' "reach"). Also add in some standard shuffles for variation and use of both hands, as well as practicality.

After that, there are several different routes to go. A card player/handler would start learning spreads and table shuffles/cuts, while a flourisher would either start learning to fan or exploring various two-handed cuts. A magician would pick whichever moves would fit into his/her routine (fans/spreads for "pick a card", various false cuts, single card productions like Darryl's Hot Shot Cut etc) or just moves that improve his/her dexterity in order to perform sleights more easily.

Of course, there is no absolute "right" way to go. Learn the moves you want to learn, and skip the ones you don't. Having fun is the most important thing ;)

NOTE: The general consensus on one-handed cuts is to learn them in your non-dominant hand first, ie the one that holds the deck in dealer's grip. You should be able to find tutorials on most of the moves mentioned either here or on youtube/other media sites.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Cyberkalvin

Well, thanks my friend, particularly I tried with my domint hand:
1- Charlier cut, It took a few hours but got it a few times.
2- Charlier triangle, what a mess, and I look for something else to try,
3- Thumb cut, really disappointed, the cards looked really big in my small hand, and I wondered if this could be a good idea.

Instead of looking for new moves, i read about small hands, and I didn't want to think about help (smaller deck), and I found that small hands require
more practice, and now I see your post I understand that with practice you don't just train your mind, dexterity or strenght, but reach.

I mean, my interest in cards started because I wanted to offer a different show other than only balloons twisting, but (again) reading your reply, I think I must practice with one handed cuts (both you mention) to train my mind and fingers, then jump to fan/spreads to see card productions later, because they seem to need a lot of finger skills.

Regards,
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Great insight! Yes, especially when you have small hands it's all about improving your reach, ie learning to use your hand/finger strength when the fingers are stretched out as far as is needed.
- Tom

Check out my collection

Cyberkalvin

MagikFingerz wrote:Great insight! Yes, especially when you have small hands it's all about improving your reach, ie learning to use your hand/finger strength when the fingers are stretched out as far as is needed.
Well... I know it's not too much time of practice (about a week), but I've been practicing Charlier Cut in both hands, and now I barely get it even watching TV, but... it's now when I start wondering.
When I got the Charlier Cut I let go the half deck held with my thumb bacause of my small hands. Now I'm trying to get the Double Charlier Cut, but I don't see how my fingers will stretch out enough to keep holding the upper half with my thumb and split it.
Do they can really stretch out enough? Do I really need to get it as a double handed cut? Do I really need to use a smaller deck (and where to buy them)?

Thanks,
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cyberkalvin wrote: Do they can really stretch out enough? Do I really need to get it as a double handed cut? Do I really need to use a smaller deck (and where to buy them)?

Thanks,
I think that if you stick to it, you'll be surprised at how much they'll be able to stretch out. I'm sure there are examples of people with small hands who are able to do most flourishes, but I don't have small hands myself so I can't really say.

As for the other questions, that's really up to you. You yourself decide which flourishes you "need" to learn and if you want to use a smaller deck or not. If you do, what you want is what's called "bridge sized" decks. It's not necessarily "wrong" to do so, but you're limiting yourself to a certain type of deck, and depending on where you live that could be more or less detrimental considering one size might be more common than the other.
- Tom

Check out my collection

DailyDay

Unread post by DailyDay »

I have genesis part 1 and I must say that it's awesome.
I was into magic but genesis really got me intrested in cardistry.
You'll be teached by Andrei Jikh and he does his job very well (very beginner friendly).
It's a little expensive but it's worth the price cause you'll have almost 4 hours of footage.
And I must say I have little hands but that's not really an issue. I think that a lot of practice is always required when learning a new move, wether you have big or small hands.
Oh and if you want some free and awesome tutorials look for the virts on fb. They are working on tutorials for a sequence of flourishes called the icarus sequence, and it is awesome :p. The charlier cut is in it and they even make videos how to present the flourishes (like the charlier).
There is a post on the iqarus sequence somewhere in the forums.
I know this doesn't answer your question completely but trust me for a beginner (like you and me) genesis is a must have.
I hoped this helps you a little.
Daily.