Do you need specific fingers for cardistry?

New to this whole thing? We can help you get started!
Wishery7

Do you need specific fingers for cardistry?

Unread post by Wishery7 »

Just wondering, I'm new to this all, and i was inspired by Zach Mueller. I'm about 4 days in and drop my cards everywhere. I never give up though, everyday after work i watch cardistry videos on youtube, finger exercise, and cut cards. Should i master one move at a time, or should i branch out and learn what i feel like?

*Relevant to title*
I want to be outstanding at cardistry, and every time i watch Zach (or any random person on youtube really) do card tricks it inspires me but also makes me feel sad knowing i will probably never get to that sort of level. I noticed many cardistry players have slim long fingers, mine are kind of thick and mediumish in length. Will this limit my ability as a cardistry player?
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Re: Do you need specific fingers for cardistry?

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

First question: Find a balance. Focusing on one or a few moves at a time will definitely be beneficial in several ways, most of all in terms of motivation. If you never master any moves, you won't see as much tangible progress and are more likely to lose interest. Then again, do choose moves (or flourishes) that you WANT to learn, as this is equally important for your motivation and enjoyment.

My standard recommendation, and what I did, was start with charlier cut and/or thumb cut and/or any other simple cutting technique. At the same time, select one or two harder flourishes that you really want to get good at, like thumb/pressure fan or a card spring. This way you have something easy that you should make good progress on quickly, while also starting a longer endeavor towards a hard, prestigious, and really rewarding move.

Something else that is nice to learn is proper shuffling and bridging, which can be busted out whenever you play cards without being too "show-off-y" since you have to shuffle the cards anyway.

Title: It's a slight limitation, but nothing you should be particularly concerned about. As you progress, you'll notice that the fingers and hand can stretch more and get stronger in stretched positions as they attain more muscular control.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Azazaaz
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: CERN
Decks Owned: 900

Unread post by Azazaaz »

The only limit is in the time and effort you'll put in the craft. Fingers have nothing to do with it, I have tiny hands and if I can't do something, it's only because I didn't work enough on it.

And I have to agree with Tom above, start with the Charlier cut, learn the grips until they're feeling natural (straddle, Z, etc...). Then I'd suggest the dribble (easier than the card spring imo) and the thumb fan. These are all prerequisites for harder moves and the first step to card flourishing. If you want something harder but that will become a necessity, you can give a shot at the faro shuffle then you'll be able to perform Bloom by Zach Mueller as he's your inspiration.

Good luck, work hard and never give up!
Alex
Wishery7

Unread post by Wishery7 »

Thanks a bunch guys! Sorry for the delayed response, had to be approved by mods, and i'm happy to be accepted into the community! I've been showing people around my community and this random kid at my job was curious about what i was doing and wanted to try it out himself, so i gave him the ones i was practicing with, tally ho cards lol! No one in my community knows about it, and i hope to master it to create my own moves and show people.

I actually created my own unique move, but i mess up doing it because i have to get the cards to perfectly flop on each other without moving position. I was really slow in the beginning, but now im just slow, and havent been able to increase speed without messing up. I don't know how to perform or do anything entertaining, maybe this will be the first? Maybe i'll shock myself..
andreac75

Unread post by andreac75 »

It's a matter of exercise. So much exercise. I am not very keen on this type of activity. Yet with an hour of exercise per day, I slowly get good results. At first, the movements seem almost unnatural to you. Over time, however, you can do it without thinking about it.