Encarded -- Official Thread

These are official company threads only. Do not start new topics here.
Encarded
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Encarded -- Official Thread

Unread post by Encarded »

I figured that with the shiny new board, I may as well make an official thread for discussion of Encarded projects. Feel free to ask questions, give feedback, or lavish me with praise. It's entirely up to you!

EDIT: I want to shamelessly copy my pal Lance Miller and open up the thread for "Ask Me Anything!" Great fun to be had with that.

:D
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Radia | Celestial | Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall / Standards / Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out
Encarded
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Re: Official Encarded Playing Card Thread

As a first point of discussion, several weeks ago I asked for opinions on how to best release rare or limited items. After much reading and thought, I developed a plan, and you can read the details here:

http://encarded.com/index.php?id=40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paul Carpenter

Radia | Celestial | Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall / Standards / Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out
Evan

Unread post by Evan »

Encarded wrote:As a first point of discussion, several weeks ago I asked for opinions on how to best release rare or limited items. After much reading and thought, I developed a plan, and you can read the details here:

http://encarded.com/index.php?id=40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Finally something that's fair to just about everyone!
Russell

Unread post by Russell »

Welcome to the new forum Paul! It's great to see other designers jumping on board! I really like the idea of having "official company" threads, it's a great way to release news and announcements without starting a million new topics.

I can't wait to see how Aurum will turn out!
Encarded
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Thanks for getting this forum up and running! These places are a great resource for everyone and I'm happy to be a part of it.
Paul Carpenter

MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Great plan, Paul! Truly a fair and well thought out way to handle things, and props for the charity auction :)
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
UtterFool

Unread post by UtterFool »

Suggestion Russel
Could you make a folder for company threads within the playing card thread.
This way you don't have to pin every company thread to the top of the playing card board and they won't get lost to the bottom of a thread if a company hasn't posted something in a while.
You could make a rule one thread per company no random threads in the folder. This would keep the folder clean and easy to track down what you are looking for.
"I have nothing to declare except my folly"
Encarded
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Just as a brief update, I got all the quotes for Aurum today so we'll be moving ahead soon. The one that made me chuckle was that my cost for having one laser cut deck made is about 15x a normal one. Ha!

Oh well, still gotta do it, they are just too cool.
Paul Carpenter

Evan

Unread post by Evan »

Encarded wrote:Just as a brief update, I got all the quotes for Aurum today so we'll be moving ahead soon. The one that made me chuckle was that my cost for having one laser cut deck made is about 15x a normal one. Ha!

Oh well, still gotta do it, they are just too cool.
15x more?!?! I guess it will be a very nice collectors deck!
decksparadise

Unread post by decksparadise »

Encarded, you rock! 8-)
Simplicity is beautiful.
Encarded
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Why thank you kind sir. I try to do interesting things, glad you like them. ;)
Paul Carpenter

elcyciB

Re: **Official** Encarded Playing Card Thread

Unread post by elcyciB »

Wow! Aurum looks fantastic. Laser cut box-very cool idea. Can't wait for the release now. Good luck the rest of the way!
Encarded
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Re: Encarded -- Official Thread

Just a brief note that I just opened up the new website for Encarded. Information about Aurum, some new promo pictures, details and a whole new store await you! Check it out, and the Aurum pre-order will be happening pretty soon. http://encarded.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks!
Paul Carpenter

Evan

Unread post by Evan »

The new site looks great but the new Aurum things look amazing! I HAVE to get some of these.

Any idea when the pre-order will be?
Dr.Kardster

Unread post by Dr.Kardster »

I like the new site!

I could not wait to get these! however the prices are slightly overpriced. $11.95 for standard Aurum deck? Seriously? There is no doubt that the look of the deck is beautiful and all. I am also aware the profit has to be made but on my opinion the price is just expensive.

Can anyone tell me if the pricing is fair and justified?

It would have been better if the pricing starts from $10.00 =D

FYI I can afford to buy these since I have a job so I will definitely buy a few when this comes out!
Encarded
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Aurum costs, frankly, a ridiculous amount to make. Tendril was $9.95 which was a reasonable cost based on what it cost to print. Aurum is costing over 30% more than Tendril to actually print. As a small, boutique maker I'm fine with not trying to compete with Theory11 or Blue Crown. They make decks in the tens of thousands, with very little custom work and can pump put decks every month. I spent 6 months carefully handcrafting Aurum and adding evry luxury feature available, plus new ones no one else has tried. :)

All that is to say that Aurum won't be like the decks you buy elsewhere. It also will never be made again. Don't forget that I also won't charge the ridiculous costs that most of the big guys do to ship the things to you. :)
Paul Carpenter

MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Dr.Kardster wrote:I like the new site!

I could not wait to get these! however the prices are slightly overpriced. $11.95 for standard Aurum deck? Seriously? There is no doubt that the look of the deck is beautiful and all. I am also aware the profit has to be made but on my opinion the price is just expensive.

Can anyone tell me if the pricing is fair and justified?

It would have been better if the pricing starts from $10.00 =D

FYI I can afford to buy these since I have a job so I will definitely buy a few when this comes out!
IMO $11.95 for Aurum is fair. For an unfair comparison, that $15 kickstarter deck comes to mind (Pedale or whatever).

Paul: I'd be interested to know more about the White Gold Edition, what makes it stand out (and worth $30)?
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
CBJ
Decks Owned: 2000

Unread post by CBJ »

$180 for the Laser cut edition is insane

http://encarded.com/collector/rare-deck ... ition.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's nice and all.. but $180..

CBJ
CBJ

Are you a Bicycle collector? Come join the Facebook group: www.BicycleCardCollectors.com
badpete69
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by badpete69 »

Stupid question...Is everything already sold out? I have been waiting for info to see how to order and now I see out of stock everywhere...did I miss out on Aurum?
Encarded
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

They aren't in stock, because I don't have any! Preorder period will be announced, don't worry you won't miss it.
Paul Carpenter

Encarded
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

CBJ wrote:$180 for the Laser cut edition is insane

http://encarded.com/collector/rare-deck ... ition.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CBJ
I'm honestly curious why you think it's "insane." I admire your opinion so if you can expand on that. Those decks took a ton of work and also cost me a huge amount to actually make. Insane amount, actually. :) No one bats an eye at a $200 All in Wonder bottle, which isn't as rare. Rarity is the largest part of determining value in a collectible, and you can't get much rarer than 75 for the entire world...they are also unique and you probably won't see anything like it again because I doubt anyone else will try it...
Paul Carpenter

badpete69
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by badpete69 »

I know I am indeed a worry wart
CBJ
Decks Owned: 2000

Unread post by CBJ »

Hey Paul,

First off.. I totally love your designs, and have complete respect for you and your company.

I'm not doubting it took a ton of work to make these decks. But I also think Lance (actuators), Alex (Seasons), and many other artists also put a ton of work into their decks as well.
As for the extra expense for the laser cutting... I really have no idea how much that costs.

I guess I was just making the comment from a personal perspective.. I think it's insane that someone would pay that kind of money for a deck that just hit the market. Not just your deck... any deck. But, like I said, I have no idea how much the laser-cutting process is.

Anyway,I think it looks AMAZING! But well out of my reach. (unless someone wants to buy me one ;) )

Jay
CBJ

Are you a Bicycle collector? Come join the Facebook group: www.BicycleCardCollectors.com
neongrey

Unread post by neongrey »

Well, you've got me interested even at $12, these are just lovely, and it's nice to see my favourite colour -- purple-- represented. Really looking forward to getting my hands on these. Unfortunately the laser-cut sets are too rich for my blood, but reading what goes into the production I can see why you've got to charge so much.

I think it's really kind of unfortunate that it's so expensive, because I really, really like the effect, and wish that it was more affordable. It's a shame the effect is basically unique-- I'd love to see more like it.
MJF

Unread post by MJF »

Encarded wrote:
CBJ wrote:$180 for the Laser cut edition is insane

http://encarded.com/collector/rare-deck ... ition.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

CBJ
I'm honestly curious why you think it's "insane." I admire your opinion so if you can expand on that. Those decks took a ton of work and also cost me a huge amount to actually make. Insane amount, actually. :) No one bats an eye at a $200 All in Wonder bottle, which isn't as rare. Rarity is the largest part of determining value in a collectible, and you can't get much rarer than 75 for the entire world...they are also unique and you probably won't see anything like it again because I doubt anyone else will try it...

Considering I just dished out $45 for a Skull and Bones deck and $45 for a 1st Edition black ghost deck... yeah the $180 seems a bit high, but then again... they made 750 of the Ghost deck... 75 for the entire world of a single logically would be looking at 10x the cost of the Skull and Bones deck... so at $180, probably getting a good deal... but yeah, that pricing isn't for everyone...

Side note: Encarded, please PM me and give me a heads up before this go on sale. I'll probably pick up one of each anyways! (Crazy as that is) :)
Ryric

Unread post by Ryric »

Have to say I was a bit dissapointed when you backed off the venetian mask idea for the court, but these are looking great. Very excited for the release.
Encarded
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

The official preorder for Aurum and its related items will be next Friday, November 2nd at 11am EST.

All the details can be found here! http://encarded.com/preorder/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks everyone, looking forward to getting you this one.
Paul Carpenter

MJF

Unread post by MJF »

Is the Tendril Gold Seal part of this offering?
Encarded
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

MJF wrote:Is the Tendril Gold Seal part of this offering?
No, the Gold Seals were a one time thing. I have a very small number of Tendril left and those will be saved for the future, perhaps in some kind of bundle.
Paul Carpenter

MJF

Unread post by MJF »

That sounds like something that would be great to give your customers buying one of each this Friday...

$179.95 - Aurum Laser Cut
$29.95 - Aurum White Gold
$11.95 - Aurum
------------------
$221.85 - a total worthy of a free deck... :)

(Can you blame me for trying)