Elephant Playing Cards - Official Thread

These are official company threads only. Do not start new topics here.
Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Collector: Yes

Elephant Playing Cards - Official Thread

Unread post by Fud »

18447153_517693085021069_486572205479677350_n.png
HI EVERYONE!

This is the official Elephant Playing Cards company thread, where you will be the first to find out about all the cool new stuff we are planning!

Make sure to follow us on Facebook to get all the latest news, discounts and cool giveaways :)

Thanks,
Ben
Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Re: Elephant Playing Cards - Official Thread

Unread post by Fud »

The first order of this new EPC thread is to showcase some of the newest designs in the works - they are called 'Cyberpunk Playing Cards' - foil, embossing, gears, cogs and awesome custom courts. This is likely to be the FIRST self-funded deck of cards, make sure to stay tuned as it won't be hitting Kickstarter soon :)

I have 3 colors I'm tossing up between and need some help choosing. Thoughts?
Image 1 (Medium).png
... Please excuse the rough renders - it is a work in progress...
flyers3003
Player: Yes
White Whale: Original Rarebit

Unread post by flyers3003 »

These look intriguing.
Order of preference:
1. Green (I really like the color combination on these)
2. Red
3. Yellow/Gold
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Heh, my list is actually the opposite of flyers'. I think both the red and green look a bit tacky, though I prefer the red of the two. I like the gold/brown the most and I think it suits the theme the best.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
TGunitedcardists

Unread post by TGunitedcardists »

Your logo is really well done.

I like green, then red, then yellow. Green is #1 by a long shot. However, the theme doesn't interest me. :oops:

Show some more cards and prove me wrong!
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by rousselle »

TGunitedcardists wrote:Your logo is really well done.

I like green, then red, then yellow. Green is #1 by a long shot. However, the theme doesn't interest me. :oops:

Show some more cards and prove me wrong!
Ditto on all points. :-)
This space intentionally left blank.
Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Fud »

END OF FINANCIAL YEAR SALE!

Hi Everyone,

It's getting to the end of the financial year, and I want to clear out some inventory to make room for all the new and exciting project I have lined up in 2017 / 2018! So, until 1 July 2017, EVERYTHING in the EPC Store is 20% off! That's a full 20% off everything, including:

- Super limited Prism: Spectrum decks
- Prism Mixed Uncut Sheets (only 3 available!)
- Limited Edition Prism Day and Dusk Prototype decks (the Night Prototypes sold out in less than a day!)
- Pipmen MIXED Uncut sheet (the most awesome Pipmen designs on 1 sheet!)
- And ALL the Prism, Pipmen, Medieval decks you could want!

All you have to do is enter this code at checkout:

SAVEME20

And everything gets cheaper!

Stock up for Christmas, Birthdays and other presents now!

http://www.elephantplayingcards.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EndersGame

Unread post by EndersGame »

Fud wrote:The first order of this new EPC thread is to showcase some of the newest designs in the works - they are called 'Cyberpunk Playing Cards' - foil, embossing, gears, cogs and awesome custom courts. This is likely to be the FIRST self-funded deck of cards, make sure to stay tuned as it won't be hitting Kickstarter soon :)

I have 3 colors I'm tossing up between and need some help choosing. Thoughts?
I also prefer the red and green decks above the yellow/gold, although it's a tough call which of those two I prefer.

All the best in working on this design Ben!
--
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame => Playing Card Reviews <=>Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=

Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Fud »

Hi Everyone,

It has been a while since I have updated this company thread, but I wanted to share a new project I am working on because I am so excited about how it is turning out!

Coming later this year - Zoo 52! (yes, those are box ears)
Mockup (1).png
Thoughts? Comments?
EndersGame

That looks amazing! I look forward to see how this shapes up. Well done Ben!
--
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame => Playing Card Reviews <=>Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=

hsbc
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

KITTY :D
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
chicken_ql

Unread post by chicken_ql »

Fud wrote:Hi Everyone,

It has been a while since I have updated this company thread, but I wanted to share a new project I am working on because I am so excited about how it is turning out!

Mockup (1).png
Thoughts? Comments?
I really like it :). A gimmick deck is always nice i guess.
BaconWise
White Whale: Gold Arabesque
Decks Owned: 225

Unread post by BaconWise »

I love this idea and I am curious to see more about the card designs as well. I wouldn't want it to be all about the tucks and it looks like the cards will be whimsical and well-done. Are you planning on custom courts? Please say yes :)

The only hesitation I have regarding these tucks is if they will simply be flat. I don't know if it's possible with your plans to have embossing on these tucks, but that would be a WIN for me. Especially if the embossing is carried into the ears. I'll keep an eye out because if this turns out well, I can think of quite a few people who would love to see this deck in their stocking. Keep us updated!
"But why male models?"

Curio Playing Cards

Web: www.curioplayingcards.com
Instagram: @curio_playingcards
Facebook: Curio Playing Cards
Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Fud »

EndersGame wrote:That looks amazing! I look forward to see how this shapes up. Well done Ben!
Thanks Richard!
BaconWise wrote:I love this idea and I am curious to see more about the card designs as well. I wouldn't want it to be all about the tucks and it looks like the cards will be whimsical and well-done. Are you planning on custom courts? Please say yes :)

The only hesitation I have regarding these tucks is if they will simply be flat. I don't know if it's possible with your plans to have embossing on these tucks, but that would be a WIN for me. Especially if the embossing is carried into the ears. I'll keep an eye out because if this turns out well, I can think of quite a few people who would love to see this deck in their stocking. Keep us updated!
The 2 cards I have mocked up are actually courts - I just didn't put in the corner indices. All the Courts + Jokers + back will be watercolored artwork with a fun twist. I am trying to get different breeds for each card, though that is proving hard to distinguish between the cats!

As the decks are a watercolor design, I am trying to keep the theme of watercolor art thoughout the project with thicker textured tuck paper (like the Medieval cards) and thicker card paper. I haven't settled on this yet, but hopefully it will all work together nicely :)
STLBluesNut

Unread post by STLBluesNut »

Can't wait to see more

Sent from my Galaxy 8 using Tapatalk
Eric Lee
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Unread post by Eric Lee »

Happy to see you going back to fun playing cards. Those look really nice. Hope you'll keep it to 2 decks, max 3 (for the special limited ed).
EndersGame

Fud wrote:Hi Everyone,

I've been a bit out of touch with Elephant Playing Cards, and was just wondering if these ever became a reality.

And sure enough, they did! They look really beautiful! Congratulations Ben on what looks to be another stunning set of decks.

Have you been working on any playing card projects since these?

--

Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Fud »

Hi Everyone,

It has been a while since my last post (a few years?!), and you will soon see why. I wanted to share an announcement that is going out to the Elephant Playing Cards list soon - sort of a 'first look' and an opportunity to clear any questions on the forum (if any).

Elephant Playing Cards is merging!

Short On Time? Here's Your TL;DR

👉 Elephant Playing Cards is merging with Talking Point Cards. Elephant Playing Cards (EPC) is joining Talking Point Cards (TPC), a company aimed at enhancing personal connections through meaningful, screen-free conversations.

👉 Transition to 'Talking Point Games'. To save the creative work and effort invested in EPC, the brand will be rolled into Talking Point Cards.

👉 Benefits of the Merger. The merger guarantees improved customer service, cost-effective shipping, efficient ads, product bundling, and continuous creativity.

👉 EPC Fans Invited to Opt-In. EPC fans are invited to opt into the new platform for updates and sales notifications, with no purchase necessary and easy unsubscribe option.

SEE HERE for all the information.

The Journey (in a nutshell)

From Ben (Founder, EPC)

"Elephant Playing Cards started as an accident in 2015. I was learning graphic design and after stumbling across the world of playing cards, decided to build my skills by practicing designing a deck of cards.

That side project became Prism: Night, a pack of playing cards that experimented with texture and color to create an iconic and eye-catching design.

After sharing the designs with playing card afficionados online, they suggested putting it on Kickstarter to see if it could work as a commercial deck.

It did.
Prism_004A (Medium).jpg
With 505 backers making the project a reality (and $0 in marketing budget), I was hooked.

Over the course of the next few years, I worked on developing new ideas, new designs and building the new brand into something people would associate with quality and creativity: Elephant Playing Cards.

We released Pipmen, Medieval, Elephant, Cyberpunk, Circuit, Zoo52 and more. There were plenty of setbacks along the way, but the joy in the process for me was bringing an idea to life, having people you've never met in real life support it, and then seeing your creation out in the real world, helping people.

That mission drove me to look for more ways we could use our expertise to help other people.

I had developed experience in manufacturing and logistics, and while playing cards are fun, I was looking for ways to make a more direct impact in people's lives.

That was when I had the idea for Talking Point Cards.
TPC Logo Thin 500 px.png
TPC Logo Thin 500 px.png (12.64 KiB) Viewed 2521 times
Talking Point Cards is a brand which began in the conversation starter space, with a goal to help people connected better through screen-free, quality conversation.

Our first products: Couples, Family and Generations, were intended to help strengthen the family, increase intimacy and generally help people grow closer together.

And boy, did it work.

05.jpg
Over four years, we have grown to 12 conversation starter products, 1 family game and 1 home organization product.

While that is small potatoes numbers-wise compared to EPC which has 40+ decks, the demand for Talking Point Cards is far above anything I could have dreamed of. Tens of thousands of families, partners, parents and friends are experiencing better relationships as a result of better communication!

I receive daily messages from customers thanking us for creating something that is making their family stronger. That is why I am working so hard at it – it works.

We are succeeding in our mission to help people connect in real life, which was the goal of Elephant Playing Cards all along as well!

Which brings us to now.
Screenshot (28).png
Screenshot (28).png (142.46 KiB) Viewed 2521 times
Custom playing cards as a product are generally in decline (looming recession, cost of living, increased material cost, new decks launching every week, etc…). But the need for screen-free, in-person, genuine connection has never been higher.

I can't continue to split my time and focus between Elephant Playing Cards and Talking Point Cards. So, to avoid simply losing all the work, effort, money and time that was put into EPC, I have decided to roll EPC into Talking Point Cards through a collection called 'Talking Point Games'.

It will still be Elephant Playing Cards branded, but it will only be available through Talking Point Cards.

This will allow us to keep Elephant Playing Cards alive by:

- Offering much better customer service than I ever could in EPC.
- Having cheaper and more reliable shipping.
- Being able to bundle playing cards with other products.
- Continue to invest in creative designs without being limited by what a Kickstarter can bring in.
- Accessing more effective advertising to bring customers in.

The bottom line is, if I don't do this, EPC will die and there is not much I can do to stop it. If I do it, there is a good chance we can continue to make a positive impact with the brand.

I am really looking forward to seeing how the creativity, energy and unique style of EPC can grow and develop with the additional resources that Talking Point Cards can provide.
Screenshot (29).png
Screenshot (29).png (214.42 KiB) Viewed 2521 times
That's the story. Now, your part.

I am not asking you to buy anything.

As we shift across to the new website (www.talkingpointcards.com), all contact with Elephant Playing Cards will be removed and any customer or subscriber personal data will be deleted from our records (we take your privacy seriously).

You won't get any more emails from Elephant Playing Cards, ever.

Our support email will also be deactivated after a few months, so all support tickets will have to go through the new site as well.

Basically, EPC as you have known it is going away, in about 2 weeks.

I want to make sure that everyone who is still interested in Elephant Playing Cards stays in the loop, while those who do not want to can simply do nothing and opt out.

No stress, no fuss, no pressure.

I would love to see all the EPC fans join us over at Talking Point Cards, where we are doing so much more than just playing cards. It is literal, life changing things that are going on right now. And we have plenty more in the pipeline to take it to the next level.

But for the playing card-only crowd, I have something for you too! We have 2 new decks locked and loaded, ready to go:

- The next instalment of the beautiful hand-made series. What can follow up the stunning Quilling deck? You'll see...

- An almost impossibly-detailed deck from one of the most popular works of all time, by none other than Peter Voth…

Screenshot (30).png
But you’ll have to join us to find out more! I hope to see you inside Talking Point Cards."
-- Ben

THAT LINK AGAIN
Honeybee
White Whale: Blk prototype Aviator Heritage
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by Honeybee »

Custom playing cards as a product are generally in decline (looming recession, cost of living, increased material cost, new decks launching every week, etc…).
I find it somewhat hard to equate the two parts in orange.
Or is this like Ellusionist saying 'Decks are Dead' - as in the too many suppliers is hurting them
KoD - my initials, no wonder I grew up a lover of playing cards
Avatar - Honeybee (No.15+17) Tuck pic by Randy Butterfield for PM
GandalfPC
White Whale: Golden Oath
Decks Owned: 1600

Unread post by GandalfPC »

I can appreciate not wanting to be in a flooded market. I wrote games for mobile devices for years and made a fine living at it - reasonable sized pond of developers making a reasonable number of products - you make an app thats decent, you make some money for the effort.

Things changed once the AppStore brought the number of developers up to 400k and the number of apps went from a few thousand for a device to a few million.

You could still make money in that environment, but it’s not the same - before you do some work and you make some money with room to excel - after the flood its more often that a project makes little to no money while landing a hit that pays for all the failed ones gets harder and harder as you fight for attention
Hunting Karl Gerich and Elaine Lewis

My collection and tradelist: http://gandalfpc.great-site.net
Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Fud »

Honeybee wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:56 am
Custom playing cards as a product are generally in decline (looming recession, cost of living, increased material cost, new decks launching every week, etc…).
I find it somewhat hard to equate the two parts in orange.
Or is this like Ellusionist saying 'Decks are Dead' - as in the too many suppliers is hurting them
Fair question. The never-ending stream of new decks being made every week - Kickstarter, private releases, etc. does show that there is creative demand (i.e. people are making them), and the high numbers of some Kickstarters or launches would indicate continual market demand. But it's not the full picture from a business perspective. If a playing card kickstarter makes (say) $40k, that might get 500-700 backers, who might be purchasing 3000-5000 decks of 3 'limited' designs. The creator still has to pay the minimum order quantity (say 2500 decks per version), and though the profit per unit might be good, the excess / storage decimates overall margins. There are some brands who have a strong Kickstarter funnel who do very well - good on them, but that's a minority.

I don't like Kickstarter much, so my focus is maintaining the business after launching. How many companies have a viable business post-Kickstarter, that are not personality or fan based (e.g. Fontain?). T11, maybe a few more. But even T11 has moved to an IP model, and most other business are launch-based businesses. I don't really like continued launches to stay afloat - I would like to put effort into something that will last after the publicity push.

With the cost of everything rising, prices of decks also must rise and therefore they become less of an impulse purchase (again limiting the saleability given the vast choice in the market). Additionally, this cost rise has also bumped the demand for cheap Bicycle decks as a more affordable options.

Basically, the more decks on the market doesn't equate to a better product for a business. To make a business out of playing cards now without being continually on the development / launch flywheel, you need something different: personality / fans (Fontain), IP (T11), ALL the decks (AoP), or a sustainable acquisition funnel (advertising). It's all hard, and getting harder. I've gone with this route to try and keep EPC alive.
Honeybee
White Whale: Blk prototype Aviator Heritage
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by Honeybee »

It is a tricky one. If we compare the card industry with the book industry, I believe there are similarities.

One way for an author to make a living is to write a classic that continues to sell for generations
One way for a designer/card producer to have an earner is to produce a classic that becomes a 'go to' deck.
I would think that this is much harder to achieve for the card producer for although the number of book readers may have slipped a little, I would think the number using physical playing cards has slipped immensely. Nowadays I doubt there are as many decks being worn out or home games that require a new sealed deck at commencement of play

It annoys me that some people, starting from when they are children, are mostly exposed to/buy/have bought for them - only the latest books. There are thousands of books from the past that are better than what are in today's best sellers but while a small number of oldies are tucked away in a little classics section, it is far more likely that they are no longer in print

This would be even truer for decks for other than a dozen or so, decks have a first run and are then no longer in print
We do have some producers like Will Roya championing reproductions but unlike new editions of classic novels, there are not schools, colleges, universities telling people that they must get/read them

Readers also have it easier than cardists as the world has these buildings and dbs called libraries which are not only sources of new and old but also buyers

The other way for an author to make a living is to keep churning out books and so it is for the card producer. Even more so

Author's also have the hope that their books are spun off to film, TV, card producers!

Actually 'playing' cards would seem to be in decline, I think WSOP helped stem things somewhat but there are so many more forms of entertainment now
The collectors market may have increased but where is it at? Being wrapped up in it I must take the word of Fud and those in it
KoD - my initials, no wonder I grew up a lover of playing cards
Avatar - Honeybee (No.15+17) Tuck pic by Randy Butterfield for PM