Artificial Rarity

Anything and everything playing cards!
flashcards
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 600

Artificial Rarity

Unread post by flashcards »

I don't want to bash any particular designer/creators work but I did want to start a discussion on a topic that a couple of folks have mentioned recently: artificial rarity. I see two aspects of this:

1. Purposely limiting the number of decks produced in hopes of artificially driving up the price. For example; a limited run (500, 1000, etc) of a different color or slightly different art work maybe with a tuck swap for about the same price as the standard design.

2. Charging more for a limited number of decks that may or may not be substantially different from a "standard" deck from the same creator. For example; same design with a color change, foiling, tricked out tuck, etc.

These two factors are not always present in the same project nor are they mutually exclusive.

I'm not passing judgement here, just trying to understand the phenomena.

One recent trend does disturb me however and that is using a non-Big 3 printer (of usually lesser quality) to print a small number of decks for a substantially higher price. For example, using MPC to print a dozen or so decks and then charging in excess of $100 per deck. Correct me if I'm wrong but I see MPC as basically a computer and fancy printer that prints directly onto card stock. You can get a single deck for around $15. Now, with an offset printer like USPCC, you could destroy the plates after the run, as Jackson Robinson has done I believe, to ensure that no more decks can be printed. However, with MPC there are no plates so another deck can always be printed. I could say only a dozen will be produced and then one day decide I want one extra for my buddy and print it up. There is no way to ensure a cap on production. Plus the fact that the special editions have no more bells and whistles yet are being sold for 100% more has me scratching my head.

Let me be clear that I do not intend to bash anyone. I'm all for anyone making a living producing playing cards if they can. Just because my finances limit what I am able to collect doesn't mean that others shouldn't be able to buy (and resell) all the rare cards they want. I realize I am a low end collector who enjoys being able to buy 2 decks of NOC's more than one deck of the latest gilded deck in a custom box. I'm just having trouble getting my head around the recent trend and it seems to be going in a direction that I'm not comfortable with. In the end, we all vote with our wallets so the trend will continue as long as there are people who support it financially.

I'm really curious about your opinion on this. Just please keep the discussion civil and professional. Thanks.
Sparkz
Decks Owned: 1000

Re: Artificial Rarity

Unread post by Sparkz »

Flashcards, this topic has been on my mind a while, so kudos on the topic. It may ruffle some feathers, but the answer is in your very own post.
In the end, we all vote with our wallets so the trend will continue as long as there are people who support it financially.
This is just the reality of it.
montecarlojoe
Player: Yes
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

I get where you're coming from - but it begs the question - what would you consider "Real" rarity?
Is there a degree of "customness" that makes the artificial rarity an acceptable thing? Where is that boundary?

I agree that some moves do seem to be a cynical way to take advantage of the Pokemon mindset - but as you both have said - we vote with our wallets, and there are very few creators out there who would consciously create a limited anything knowing would cause them financial loss. And that's OK - they gotta eat after all.
flashcards
Cardist: Yes
Decks Owned: 600

Unread post by flashcards »

I understand the concept of the market driving the price of something. Supply and demand. If a lot of people want something and there are only a few of them, the price goes up. As to what item will generate that kind of demand it is almost impossible to predict. I think an example of "real" rarity would be something like Jerry's Nuggets. They are hard to find and command a high price. Personally, I don't get it at all. I think the back design is pretty ugly and the faces are standard. And, of course, their are no features like metallic inks or gold foil that today's collectors demand. Yet, people will pay a fortune for them. Of course, I heard that some guy has a warehouse full of them and just doles a few out every couple of years to keep the prices high. So perhaps that is more of an example of "artificial" rarity after all.
Sparkz
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by Sparkz »

I think that's kind of the underlying "Grey" area. Everyone's criteria/definition of "Rare" differs a bit. While in it's simplest terms, rare, means it's not abundant, I could produce a limited edition of 10 pieces of poop on a stick and they would be rare. Of course I would have to give away nine..........if anyone even wanted them, but they would be rare non-the-less.

I think the part that I ponder on is having two projects with lets say an LE of 1000. One being printed at USPC and one at a, lets say, lesser printer. The quality, in my opinion, is at the opposite ends of the spectrum and yet both decks are demanding the same price. Price, like it or not, always plays into your decision to purchase and if faced with deck A (USPC) that I like and deck B (Other) that I like, and my financial situation forces me to choose, I'll end up going with "quality" over the other.

Of course there are a bunch of other personal tid bits I'm sure we all add to the formula, friend, favorite artist, favorite theme and or color. So it's difficult to make it black and white beyond "....this is my cost and this is what I'm charging"..............which seems to be the 1st question that pops up when a deck is being printed outside of the main two printers.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

I was thinking to post about it and behold, it is already there. Thanks Flashcards for starting the topic.
Some great insights as well. Being a newbie on Kickstarter who is yet to find success, some of the things that you mention were being advised by successful creators when I was putting the campaign in order. I didn't follow the suggestions as something didn't feel right when I gave it a thought.

I'm not sure if I will do the same in future because context n situation matters, but I thank you and everyone on this thread who shared their insights and perspective on this.