Help! What deck was in this shredded envelope?

Off-topic randomness, anything goes. Keep it PG-13.
Jazzman99
Collector: Yes

Help! What deck was in this shredded envelope?

Unread post by Jazzman99 »

Today's mail brought me a mystery. It's a plain, flat, white envelope, 5 inches by 8 inches. My address is written on the front, along with a customs declaration sticker indicating the envelope was mailed from Great Britain. In the space for contents is written "Playing Cards" with a stated weight of 110g and a value of $10. The signature space has a date of "11/05/16" and what appears to be a two-symbol "signature" that's completely illegible--it might be B2, or possibly BO, or even BG.

The back of the envelope has been completely shredded, and there is, obviously, nothing inside it. The US Post Office has placed a sticker on the front indicating that it was received in this condition.

I've ordered a lot of decks in the last few months, and I also have a lot of open orders on Kickstarter, so it's not immediately obvious to me what deck this was supposed to be. Going back through my emails to try to track it down will take some time, so I was hoping to take a shortcut by posting here. I'm hoping that somebody else has received a deck packed in this cavalier fashion within the last week or so and can report what it was.

I'm obviously hugely annoyed by this. I don't know what genius thought that mailing a deck in this way--internationally!--was a good idea, but even if the envelope had survived, the deck inside would have been battered as hell. It's unbelievable that anybody though this was acceptable.

Anybody else in this boat?
My small but growing collection: http://www.portfolio52.com/collection/811/images
Jazzman99

Re: Help! What deck was in this shredded envelope?

Unread post by Jazzman99 »

Never mind, all--mystery solved. I just noticed that the post office's sticker seemed to be concealing another mark, and after carefully pealing it back I recognized it as the logo from the "Ink Spot Cat" playing cards campaign on Kickstarter. This wasn't a great deck to begin with; I'd pledged for it mostly because my wife loves cats, so I tend to pick up any cat-themed deck I see for her. It's a first time creator and I probably should have known better.
My small but growing collection: http://www.portfolio52.com/collection/811/images
farmisen

Unread post by farmisen »

Jazzman99 wrote:Today's mail brought me a mystery. It's a plain, flat, white envelope, 5 inches by 8 inches. My address is written on the front, along with a customs declaration sticker indicating the envelope was mailed from Great Britain. In the space for contents is written "Playing Cards" with a stated weight of 110g and a value of $10. The signature space has a date of "11/05/16" and what appears to be a two-symbol "signature" that's completely illegible--it might be B2, or possibly BO, or even BG.

The back of the envelope has been completely shredded, and there is, obviously, nothing inside it. The US Post Office has placed a sticker on the front indicating that it was received in this condition.

Anybody else in this boat?
Received an empty envelope from them in a similar condition, looking at the kickstarter page we are not the only two, the creator has still to respond.
Becky Draws

Unread post by Becky Draws »

Hi,

I am the creator of these cards.

You're right, it was my first ever project on Kickstarter. I actually wanted to make sure everything was done correctly, but I totally messed up sending out the first batch of the cards in substandard packaging. I am working to amend this and sending out new cards to those affected when they get in touch with me.

Jazzman99 I have already sent out your new deck in a much better package and I hope you recieve them in an acceptable condition, and I am rather sad to read that you didn't rate the deck anyway. However you will not be out of pocket in any way as I have sent you a new deck, and I hope at least that your wife enjoys them.

Armisen, thank you for drawing my attention to this forum post and I will send you out a new deck today, along with a little extra.

I hope that this is satisfactory and once again, my sincere apologies for this newbie's mistake. The project was way more successful than I ever anticipated it being and tried to rush out the orders, which was a huge mistake.

Regards,

Becky
Jock1971

Unread post by Jock1971 »

I backed this project to begin with... i asked a question in the comments section and did not get any reply. If a creator can`t be bothered to answer any questions in the comment section of their project then i can`t be bothered to pledge, so i pulled out.
Glad i did now as it seems quite a few backers have had empty shredded envelopes instead of decks...and the creator still can`t be bothered to comment :evil:
Becky Draws

Jock1971 wrote:I backed this project to begin with... i asked a question in the comments section and did not get any reply. If a creator can`t be bothered to answer any questions in the comment section of their project then i can`t be bothered to pledge, so i pulled out.
Glad i did now as it seems quite a few backers have had empty shredded envelopes instead of decks...and the creator still can`t be bothered to comment :evil:

Hi, I am the creator and I have just responded above.

I'm sorry that I didn't see your question in the comments, it was my first time using Kickstarter and I wasn't even aware that there was a comments section until you mentioned it. This has been a steep learning curve for me and I am totally embarrassed that I not only dropped the ball, but set it on fire and blew it up.

However, as I have already said, any one who receives a shredded and empty envelope is more than welcome to get in touch with me and I will provide another copy, as I am indeed, responsible for this error.

Becky
Jock1971

Unread post by Jock1971 »

Hi Becky.
We all live and learn. posting regular updates and answering comments (Even if its to say hello) keeps the backers keen and shows that the project creator is appreciative of their support.
Your stepping up and taking full responsibility on the Ink spot cats project by offering refunds or sending new decks to those affected instead of hiding away and doing nothing goes a long way with me.
Good for you ... i may even back your cat tarot if it ever comes to kickstarter.
-jase-
Becky Draws

Thanks,

Thank you, I appreciate that. I am really concerned that this debacle will affect my reputation and any future projects I conceive, so I believe in honesty and openness when it comes to mistakes like this one, in my experience it is the best way of dealing with things.

It has been a bit of a crazy few months as I found out I was pregnant in early March, launched the project and had no idea how exhausted and sick I would be! But now I have come up to my second trimester and am feeling way more human and able to deal with things.

I have a second Kickstarter going now which isn't playing cards in the traditional sense of the word, and I have definitely learned to check every day and be more mindful of what is going on with it. And also to send them out in decent packaging, if I manage to hit my target.

I am enjoying working on the Tarot cards (thank you) and it is my eventual aim to get them funded on Kickstarter. I was feeling very sad and upset yesterday about what had happened with this first project, so your kind words mean a lot to me.

Regards,

Becky