Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 677

Opinions please

Unread post by nECr0MaNCeD »

Opinions please.

I did a Thrift Store run yesterday and among other things picked up two decks of Blue Ribbon cards. One red and one blue. The red deck still (barely) has it's cellophane and the blue deck is sealed. The tucks are warped but the red deck is in new deck order and in pristine condition. I am assuming the blue deck is the same. The date code on the AoS is "U". Since there is a USPCC seal but no tax stamp that means 1975 or 1995. Since USPCC killed off Blue Ribbon before 1995 (I think) and there is no Bar code is it a safe bet these are from 1975? They also have a long tuck flap and I think those were gone by 1995.

So is my reasoning sound?

I'll post pics when I can locate my camera.
If it's too loud.... you're too old!
Jock1971

Re: Opinions please

Unread post by Jock1971 »

Hi There John :D
Thought i`d let you know that to my knowledge your reasoning is sound . Although i`m no expert (especially American decks) All the point`s you made are exactly how i`d date the deck.
Another cool Thrift Store find 8-) 8-)

i went to my local charity shop a few weeks back and asked if they had any playing cards...the lady advised me to try W H Smiths or look in one of the large supermarkets, when i told here i was looking for old cards that nobody wanted any more...she gave me a right weird look and asked me WHY? :lol: :lol: :lol:
nECr0MaNCeD
Cardist: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 677

Unread post by nECr0MaNCeD »

Jock1971 wrote:Hi There John :D
Thought i`d let you know that to my knowledge your reasoning is sound . Although i`m no expert (especially American decks) All the point`s you made are exactly how i`d date the deck.
Another cool Thrift Store find 8-) 8-)

i went to my local charity shop a few weeks back and asked if they had any playing cards...the lady advised me to try W H Smiths or look in one of the large supermarkets, when i told here i was looking for old cards that nobody wanted any more...she gave me a right weird look and asked me WHY? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank you good sir. It all made sense to me but it never hurts to get a second (or tenth) opinion.

I get the same look sometimes when I get to the register with an armful of old decks. :oops: Oh well. One man's junk is another man's treasure as they say.

PS I recently found that there are a fair amount of Waddington's decks on Etsy. While a good many are in the UK, a fair amount are in the States. The prices look good but I am going to educate myself a bit before jumping in.
If it's too loud.... you're too old!
Jock1971

Unread post by Jock1971 »

nECr0MaNCeD wrote:Thank you good sir. It all made sense to me but it never hurts to get a second (or tenth) opinion.
No problem`s my friend, Hopefully if someone finds fault with our logic they would let you know.
nECr0MaNCeD wrote:PS I recently found that there are a fair amount of Waddington's decks on Etsy. While a good many are in the UK, a fair amount are in the States. The prices look good but I am going to educate myself a bit before jumping in.
There`s only a handful of Waddingtons that are of any interest to the average collector. But if you do see any you like and need my opinion about them just PM me and i`ll help in any way i can.
-jase-