Windows 10?

Off-topic randomness, anything goes. Keep it PG-13.
chach
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Vietnam Era Secret Weapon
Decks Owned: 0

Windows 10?

Unread post by chach »

Anyone upgrade yet? Tips, tricks, warnings if you have? I'm running Windows 7 on my main PC but just decided to put in for my upgrade reservation. I guess after the windows 8 & 9 catastrophe they had to give it away for free to try and win people back.

Just hope it works with my Kerbal Space Program or there will be hell to pay!!
WTB/WTT: Vietnam Era Bicycle Secret Weapon Deck
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Re: Windows 10?

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Was there even a 9? Never heard about it.

8 is fine except for the interface, which is easily fixed by installing a classic shell. It runs much quicker and smoother than its predecessors IMO.

Haven't bothered trying 10 yet, so I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

There is no 9.

There 8 which had its issues on desktop machines, and largely cleared up with the free 8.1 upgrade (things like boot to desktop and adding the start button were great)

10 frankly is what 8 should have been. It takes a while to install, but it does pretty much ALL the work for you. Once complete the only thing I had to reinstall were graphics drivers.

Booting is quicker, Windows App versions of software run on the desktop like any other program, and the start menu is back - it includes the Metro style tiles if you want them but it's easy to get rid if not.

The extra bells and whistles work well too.

The only downside for me is that Cortana thinks I live hundreds of miles away and I can't change it lol. Its like W10 is trying to use whatever mobiles use for location detection and it just doesn' work for a desktop sat behind a router and not using a mobile/cell network. But really this is very minor - you can change it in the weather app if you need to.

personally I'd recommend it.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Mine upgraded at 8:30 the morning it was released. It took about 20 minutes, and other than defaulting to network discovery off (I could not see external drives, like Mt 2TB NAS), not a thing to report except the awful Windows 8.1 interface was replaced by one more like 7 and prior versions.

The network functions turned on with a simple flip of a switch that it suggests when you try to connect to an external drive...
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
nECr0MaNCeD
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 677

Unread post by nECr0MaNCeD »

Well since I am a PC Tech by trade I've seen and done a lot of Win 10 upgrades so I thought I'd share.

As reported by others the upgrade is pretty straight forward. It can be a bit time consuming on slower machines.

Most of the issues I've run into and heard of concern drivers. In a small percentage of cases it has been catastrophic and a complete reinstall needed. Be sure to back up and save any important data before starting. Also get your software together and make sure you have any activation keys that software may need if a reinstall becomes needed.

When the upgrade completes and you are going through the initial set up DO NOT just use the express/default settings. Doing so gives Microsoft permission to monitor and track a multitude of things. All personal. Go through the settings one at a time and choose what you want and are comfortable with. If you are like me and don't want to be tracked and monitored at all this leaves Cortana out. For it to work it needs several very invasive settings enabled.

Once you know you are happy with Win 10 and sure you don't want to go back to 7/8/8.1 you can delete the Windows.old old folder and reclaim 10-20 GB of space. You can't just right click and delete. to learn how follow this link. http://blog.laptopmag.com/delete-windows-old-folder" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although a pain in the a** the best and safest route is to google all of your software and hardware to see what others have experienced.

If your upgrade doesn't go as planned you can revert back to your old OS (Provided you didn't delete the Windows .old folder) follow this link. http://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how-to- ... d=noscript" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry this is so long and I hope it helps.
If it's too loud.... you're too old!
chach
White Whale: Vietnam Era Secret Weapon
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by chach »

Sounds like it's a good upgrade then. Thanks for the bit about being tracked by MSFT, Necro. Will be sure to check the settings. Google, the FBI and the NSA already track me enough, don't need to add Microsoft to the group.
WTB/WTT: Vietnam Era Bicycle Secret Weapon Deck
NCarter
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 13

Unread post by NCarter »

MagikFingerz wrote:Was there even a 9? Never heard about it.
Yeah I never thought about that, what the hell was the deal with that?

Is windows 10 SO much better that it skipped over two versions?

I wonder if they did it because of number 9 is considered unlucky in Japan...
montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

The marketing was that the work put in was the same as for two versions, or that 9 might have existed as a transitional WIP