Alex Pandrea, The Blue Crown and Copyright Infringement

Off-topic randomness, anything goes. Keep it PG-13.
Sparkz
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 1000

Alex Pandrea, The Blue Crown and Copyright Infringement

Unread post by Sparkz »

So about a week ago The Blue Crown used one of my images on their RARE sale without, at the very least, asking if they could. This is a constant issue with my images and I'm getting a little tired of it.

So I sent Alex Pandrea an email with an invoice for one time use of my image. It read as follows:

"Hello Mr. Pandrea,
On 06/07/2015 your company The Blue Crown launched a sales promotion which included an image of the Branded Obsidian Playing cards. The image was used without permission or compensation.
The original image was photographed by myself and is located on my website at http://www.sparkzcollector.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as well as my Social Media outlets such as Facebook.
This image is protected under the US Code: Title 17 – COPYRIGHT LAW Link: http://copyright.gov/title17/circ92.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attached is a statement for the one time use of this image to be paid in full upon receipt.
Thank you,"

The email included a capture off my site with the image in question along with the photo in this post. Mr. Pandrea's views on copyrights were quite interesting to say the least.

This was the reply I received from Mr. Pandrea:

I responded to him in this manner and haven't heard back yet..........

Those of you who know me well enough, even if we don't agree with each other on every little thing, know I'm pretty easy going. I've been paid, bartered with and even taken just a written photo credit to help new designers and 1st time KSers. This was kind of the straw that broke the camels back and now it's time to take some kind of action.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Re: Alex Pandrea, The Blue Crown and Copyright Infringement

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Saw this on facebook. Appalling how some people just take and use the work of others like this. Would especially expect more from someone running a company/business.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
jsantafe

Unread post by jsantafe »

This is absolutely outraging. I am very amateur and average photographer, but happened to me once with Elle magazine (online version). The only thing we got back was linking the blog where the pictures were taken from and crediting me and my wife.
This matter is serious and is getting too common online. It's ridiculous how people get away with this so easily.
What if you took one of their designs and launched a KS campaign claiming it was available online?
My advice, send your case to big photog sites like PetaPixel, they often feature this stories, and make some noise.
JS

Every deck I open makes your sealed one more valuable. You're welcome.
chach
White Whale: Vietnam Era Secret Weapon
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by chach »

Another copy of your invoice along with a statement on letterhead from an attorney sent via registered mail (meaning they have to sign for it so you know it was received) will help your case out should you wish to pursue this further. Absolutely appalling that they ripped off your photo and then had the gall to basically cast you aside like an unwashed peasant.

Free advertising for the photog, what a crock. If my eyes could roll any further back in my head I'd be as blind as a bat.
WTB/WTT: Vietnam Era Bicycle Secret Weapon Deck
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

I don't think it was The Blue Crown, but I caught someone using one of Kai:'s pix about six months ago.

It was the bloody Requiem shot, or one of them. As of 2000, the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) protects your IP regardless of use. Tony's is so obvious because of the watermark, which makes it agregious. Alex's response is basically thumbing his nose at Tony.
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
Sparkz
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by Sparkz »

In regards to this situation, Alex and I have come to an agreement over the issue at hand
Cbkimble
Decks Owned: 363

Unread post by Cbkimble »

Glad to hear that Tony.
Feeding the addiction one deck at a time.