Music

Off-topic randomness, anything goes. Keep it PG-13.
Mirror
Cardist: Yes

Music

Unread post by Mirror »

Looks like we haven't got a music topic jet :D well i'll just start with what i like to listen to:
- Dubstep
- Drum&Bass
- Glitch Hop
- Progressive House
- Chillstep
- some other random songs i found on the internet ;D

right now this is one of my favourite songs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IWlF-Vx7cE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RSLancastr
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 2500

Re: Music

Unread post by RSLancastr »

Holy crap I feel old. :(
-Marcel Marceau
dazzleguts
Player: Yes
White Whale: Das Kartenspiel Des Oberdeutsc
Decks Owned: 885

Unread post by dazzleguts »

That was a sweet song, after I got past the ad.

Some fave musicians, old and new:

Gangnam Style (love that crazy video) by Psy
Most Amen Toben
Stimmhorn
Mother Mother
Vide Hille
Skinny Puppy
Siouxsie and the Banshees
Sun Ra
Captain Beefheart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P7JoAt6Dm8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(no video just a goofy picture - great sound)
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"
walrus

Unread post by walrus »

Bluegrass, Grateful Dead, Rolling Stones, Mississippi John Hurt and of course the fab four. Beyond this, Norweigan Black Metal.
RSLancastr

I enjoy Bluegrass (and play mandolin - played, rather, as my left hand has been pretty much locked in a fist since my stroke in 2008), with my favorite Bluegrass musicians including:

David Grisman
Newgrass Revival
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

My favorite musical groups of all time are:

The Band (Southern folk-influenced Rock)
Steeleye Span (British folk/rock)
The Subdudes (New Orleans-influenced wonderfulness)
The Beatles

I have a soft-spot for singer/songwriters, including:

Don McLean (I've seen him live a dozen or more times)
Gordon Lightfoot
Harry Chapin
Shawn Colvin

and I have a colection of around a hundred Original Cast Albums from Broadway musicals, my favorites of which would be:

A Little Night Music
Company
Godspell
Jesus Christ Superstar
Pippin
-Marcel Marceau
walrus

Unread post by walrus »

RS do you listen to Old and in the way, Jerry and Grisham together can not be beat.
Assassino13

Unread post by Assassino13 »

Post-Rock = Pure amazing-ness.
I also have a deep-seated love for alternative.

Favourite Bands/Songwriters/Singers: - Late Night Alumni
- Frames
- Red Room Cinema
- Sleep Party People
- Rolling Stones
- Bob Dylan
- Cat Stevens
- Sigur Rós
- Neko Case
- Radiohead
- Stalker
- Versa
- Soundgarden (I really only like Superunknown, but it's good enough for them to get on this list)
- Florence + The Machine
- Marina and the Diamonds
- Summer Fades Away
- I Am The Architect
- The Weepies
- The White Stripes
- Pink Floyd
- The Heavy
- Eagles
- The Beatles
- Wu-Tang Clan
- NWA
- Run-DMC
- The Temper Trap
- The Pixies
- Whoever did the soundtrack for Persona 3
- Schubert
- Smashing Pumpkins
- Rage Against the Machine
- Stone Temple Pilots
- Nirvana
- Noah and the Whale
- Muse
- The Killers
- Imagine Dragons
- Gnarls Barkley
- Cults
- Arcade Fire
- Coldplay
My Youtube! "Time never waits. It delivers all equally to the same end. You, who wish to safeguard the future, however limited it may be. Go forth without falter, with your heart as your guide.
RSLancastr

walrus wrote:RS do you listen to Old and in the way, Jerry and Grisham together can not be beat.
Grisman,you mean?

I have the "Old and in the Way" album somewhere - yes, in vinyl.

I remember buying a copy of it as a gag gift for my then brother-in-law, for his 40th birthday. I was in my 20s at the time.

Seems less funny now that I'm 54... :(

I have the Grisman/Garcia CD/album... "Shady Grove". I think is the title, has a photo of a big tree on the cover, and A DVD of the Academy Award-winning documentary (Grateful Dawg) Grisman's daughter made of Grisman & Garcia together.
-Marcel Marceau
Mirror

Unread post by Mirror »

Assassino13 wrote:- Florence + The Machine
I like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAvdqEsobaw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
walrus

Unread post by walrus »

RSLancastr wrote:
walrus wrote:RS do you listen to Old and in the way, Jerry and Grisham together can not be beat.
Grisman,you mean?

I have the "Old and in the Way" album somewhere - yes, in vinyl.

I remember buying a copy of it as a gag gift for my then brother-in-law, for his 40th birthday. I was in my 20s at the time.

Seems less funny now that I'm 54... :(

I have the Grisman/Garcia CD/album... "Shady Grove". I think is the title, has a photo of a big tree on the cover, and A DVD of the Academy Award-winning documentary (Grateful Dawg) Grisman's daughter made of Grisman & Garcia together.
Yes, shady grove is excellent. I think it has "off to sea once more" on it. Grisman actually plays in Ridgefeild CT. (not far from me) on a regular basis. He is one of the premeir Mandolin players in the country. P.S. Very sorry to hear of your stroke. Hopeyou are recovering well.
RSLancastr

I am a bit behind the times but in my book, Grisman is THE premier mandolinist in the country.

I saw him perform (with the DG Quartet) live in Los Angeles probably thirty yars ago now.

I was a member of the Los Angeles Mandolin Orchestra at the time, and asked Grisman if he would be interested in being a guest soloist with the orchestra some day. He was VERY interested in it, but alas, it never happened. our conductor at the time was a classic music snob, and saw no art in what Grisman did, the fool.

As for my stroke recovery, my cognitive functions (memory, reason, etc) are all pretty solid.

Physically, I have almost no control over the muscles in the left half of my body, but that gets a little better every week. I won't likely be playing my mandos any time soon though. :(
-Marcel Marceau
Assassino13

Unread post by Assassino13 »

Mirror wrote:
Assassino13 wrote:- Florence + The Machine
I like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAvdqEsobaw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Have you heard her other songs? "No Light, No Light" is good, and "What The Water Gave Me" is also amazing.
My Youtube! "Time never waits. It delivers all equally to the same end. You, who wish to safeguard the future, however limited it may be. Go forth without falter, with your heart as your guide.
Mirror

Unread post by Mirror »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_6jDPTo ... 4&index=77[/youtube]

this song is stuck in my head for a while now :D
Mirror

Unread post by Mirror »

I finished a song yesterday. Just thought I could throw this in here :)
Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

I feel like talking about my favorites in music right now at 4 am. So that's what I am going to do. Now.

I have a very wide taste in music, there really isn't a genre I dislike, but in certain genres (Pop, Rap) there are more stuff I can't stand than in some other genres (Metal, Rock). I think almost everything can be good, when done right. And absolutely everything can be garbage when done poorly. Although most of times I prefer Metal and Rock over Rap/Hip Hop and most modern-day pop-garbage, I take Katy Perry any day over Kotiteollisuus (A somewhat popular Finnish rock band, their music pretty much is everything that I hate about Finland put together. I have to put a small message and a rant here to their singer Hynynen. I'l write it in finnish so that I won't have to censor it and because I don't think that monkey can understand any other language. Hynynen, jos luet tätä, sun musiikkis on ihan täyttä paskaa. Uskon vakaasti että ne ainoat jotka pitää teidän musikkista kulkee hihattomassa paidassa ja sandaalit sukkien kanssa kesällä, juo pierunhajuisena taskulämmintä Koffia puistoissa ja käy kerran talvessa Tenerifalla, jossa syö lihapullia joka päivä ja örveltää Ville Peltosen MM95-paidassa yöllä kuseksien kadulle ja oksentaen roskapönttöihin. Sitten nämä isäm maan sankarit on ensimmäisenä huutamassa "Maassa maan tavalla!" ulkomaalaisille ja puhuvat naisten suojelemisesta turvapaikanhakijoilta kun itseltä löytyy kolme pahoinpitelysyytettä ex-vaimon hakkaamisesta. Teidän musikki on aivan oksettavaa kuraa ja sanoituksenne tiivistävät suomalaisen juntteuden. Kiitos.) Speaking of Finnish music, I quite like the music Finland has to offer, both in english and finnish. Finnish is a language that is very different when written formaly and when spoken casually and I somehow found the finnish language to be a bit stiff when you talking about emotions and stuff. But oh boy, it suits very well in songs, as it loses all of its stifness and becomes quite flexible and a powerful, yet beautiful. Finland is also perhaps the biggest Metal music country in the world. Listening to at least some kind of Metal is almost more of a norm than an exception here.

I could talk some of my favorite bands and songs for a lot, but I'm pretty sure that all of you are familiar with most of them, so I'll just focus on the bit more unknown ones, at least to the international community. Some of you may have heard of my all time favorite band, the one band that nothing can surpass in my mind. It does not come from Finland, but from Germany and that is Rammstein. F*CK! YES! Not only are their songs catchy as hell, they have a very versatile mix of different kinds of songs, no two are really that alike. Also the lyrics of Rammstein are just amazingly good. It is a shame that the world knows the only from Du Hast, as I do not find it to be even nearly their best song. Their third album, Mutter, is an amazing, almost pure diamaond. Everyhting else in it among the best songs they have done, except perhaps Mein Hertz Brennt (their most overrated song) and Rein Raus (quite basic, not very good). Links 2 3 4 is so powerful song that while you listen to it you just feel like doing a communist revolution and then it ends are you are like "...did I just briefly become a communist during that song?" Also a song Ich Will just makes you feel like a total badass and is mind blowing when played live. I could list an incredible amount of amazing songs from Mutter and other albums as well, but I am just going to name a few with clever lyrics. First one that comes to mind is Moskau, which is an ode to the city of Moscow. In the song Moscow is compared to an old and fat prostitute, that somehow manages still to be lovely. The song Klavier tells a story of a mentally sick boy and his love for a piano playing woman, who he ends up killing in jealous rage because she "played for someone else." The story moves cleverly between two time periods and is hauntingly beautiful. Of course one of my favorite songs from their newer work is Frühling in Paris, which tells a story of a old man who remembers when he was a young man and slept with a French prositute, understanding each other in every way, except through spoken words. The old man tells that he does not regret that, or anything else in his life. My favorite Rammstein song however is Reise Reise, simply because it is so well done. Most epic song ever written about going fishing, for sure.

Moving on to the finnish ones, first that comes to mind has to be Nightwish. Nightwish makes symphonic metal, that has an almost a dream like feeling to it. Their biggest hit is song called Nemo, which just might be their best work. It is truly an amazing song. Another one I truly love is a bit newer one: The Crow, The Owl and The Dove. But they have a song that is almost holy for the Finns, Sleeping Sun. There are many other great ones, but those come to my mind first. Oh, I have to also name the Last of the Wilds, which is a insturmental masterpiece.

Another english singing finnish band I have to mention is Poets of the Fall. They make very cryptic, very poetic lyrics and perhaps one of the best music videos ever. The songs Lift and Carnival of Rust are just amazing. They never really got that big as they perhaps should be, for some reason.

Of the finnish singing bands, two favorites rise instantly. First being Apulanta. Apulanta started as punk band, but started to slowly move to a sound that was less punk. Their songs are extremely powerful and energetic and they have sometimes somewhat cryptic lyrics, but they are always very interesting. I really recommend to check out Pahempi toistaan (English translation: Each worse than other) which is a breakup song that is basically saying, I was sh*t, but so were you. Another good one is Koneeseen Kadonnut (Lost in the machine). Their most well known ballad, Armo (Mercy) has a funny story, the song was originaly meant to be the most cheesiest ballad ever, that they were going to put to an album as a private joke. Halfway through though they started to realize that they were not making a bad song after all, but that the song was going to be actually good and not cheesy. Now it is one of their best songs they have done. The other finnish band hit it big last summer, Haloo Helsinki! They have somewhat an amazing style, it's hard to put into words. It's like a taking 20 percent of a Disney song, another 20 from Pop and rest from light rock. Their lyrics are quite amazing, many of them being about a better world, peace, love, freedom, subjects that work well on 20 sometings, like myself. And they are not done in a cheesy way either, they are somehow very refershing. My favorites are Pulp Fiction, Beibi, Jos mun pokka pettää, Kuule minua and the amazing Vihaan kyllästynyt. Only thing I don't really like are their music videos that are quite horribly bad.

A few songs that I feel like I sould mention also:
Apocalyptica feat. Lauri Ylönen - Life Burns!
Kalmah - Hades
Johanna Kurkela - Rakkauslaulu (One of the best love songs I have ever heard)

UGH! I have spoken! Although I have no idea why I wrote all of this.

I will now ponder the question: Are lobsters mermaids for scorpions?
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
nECr0MaNCeD
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 677

Unread post by nECr0MaNCeD »

Well I am a metal head from way back but I also enjoy nearly every genre as well. This includes Rammstein. In a big way.

I'll agree Du hast (hasst?) is way over played and not nearly their best song but I love it because it is such a beautiful play on words and tongue in cheek humor. Explaining the difference between hast and hasst to non German speakers gets a little old but I still try. :oops:

Bestrafe mich
Wollt ihr das Bett in Flammen sehen
Bück dich
Sonne
Stein um Stein

To name a few....

metalli ikuisesti ystäväni
If it's too loud.... you're too old!
chach
White Whale: Vietnam Era Secret Weapon
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by chach »

Another metal head here, and also like most every type of music so long as talent is involved (and even some talentless pop music too). Everything from classical (Verdi, Mozart, Orff, Shastakovich, etc...) to Sara Brightman & Enya to Ke$ha (she brings out the white trash in me) to TOOL, NIN, Megadeth, Pantera, Ghost & Rammstein as well. Old country as well, the likes of Merle Haggard, George Jones and Waylon Jennings, and I think I'm one of the few people on the west coast that knows who Jesco White is (and how to pronounce his name).

But my heart always lies with rock & metal. I used to live for concert season which was usually late summer early winter here and the only bands that are still on my bucket list are Marilyn Manson and Dropkick Murphys. I've seen most every major metal band since I started going to concerts in the 90s (never did get to see Nirvana unfortunately). While I've paid to go to TOOL concerts the most often, I've probably seen Primus more than any other band because they were always opening for another band or part of a festival.

BTW - Rammstein is insane live. The crap they do for their performances is just awesome, especially if you're a pyromaniac like me,

[MURRAY] [MURRAY] [MURRAY]
WTB/WTT: Vietnam Era Bicycle Secret Weapon Deck
Räpylätassu

This Finnish song from the early 2000's has been stuck in my head for a few days now. Luckily it really is a good one. Finnish melancholy on full power again in the music video, as the lyrics to the song are not sad at all, yet the music video is.

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
Räpylätassu

AMAZING

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

FTR: I hate country and [c]rap.

My Top 10 Bands (alphabetical order):

- Affiance
- Arch Enemy
- Children of Bodom
- Dark Tranquillity
- Dream Theater
- In Flames
- Megadeth
- Metallica
- Opeth
- The Haunted
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
BaconWise
White Whale: Gold Arabesque
Decks Owned: 225

Unread post by BaconWise »

TwoPiece wrote:FTR: I hate country and [c]rap.

- Affiance
- Arch Enemy
- Children of Bodom
- Dark Tranquillity
- Dream Theater
- In Flames
- Megadeth
- Metallica
- Opeth
- The Haunted
I didn't see WHAM! on your list. I am guessing they are #11?
Lol, you have a good list going.
"But why male models?"

Curio Playing Cards

Web: www.curioplayingcards.com
Instagram: @curio_playingcards
Facebook: Curio Playing Cards
theCapraAegagrus

BaconWise wrote:
TwoPiece wrote:FTR: I hate country and [c]rap.

- Affiance
- Arch Enemy
- Children of Bodom
- Dark Tranquillity
- Dream Theater
- In Flames
- Megadeth
- Metallica
- Opeth
- The Haunted
I didn't see WHAM! on your list. I am guessing they are #11?
Lol, you have a good list going.
Never even heard of them. :lol: :lol:
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

BaconWise wrote:I didn't see WHAM! on your list. I am guessing they are #11?
Every favorite bands list without WHAM! on it, can't be called legit or serious; period.
I know I'm riding Deadpool's d**k here, but all he says about WHAM! is true.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
theCapraAegagrus

It was a little tough for me to choose The Haunted over At the Gates, however, The Dead Eye is one of the only full albums in which I like/love every song (by any artist). Also, while At the Gates has better overall guitar to play, The Haunted's vocals are much better.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Adonael

Unread post by Adonael »

Oh nice, here's a topic I can make a contribution to! I won't get into a rant about the generic, empty, overproduced, lowest common denominator trash happily being fed to the drooling sheep-like masses who treat music as nothing more than background noise, by 'artists' who are nothing more than hired voices, and the ridiculously pathetic jokes that music 'awards' have become, here. But I would like to mention some music I enjoy because as an audiophile I truly do care about it and consider it one of the most important things in my life, which has helped me through some tough times.

First off I will say that to me the single most important aspect of any song is the lyrics, words have power and are important, your subconscious will internalise anything you listen to even if you don't. They also happen to be the most common failure of music, which is partly why I absolutely love Post-Rock, which doesn't have lyrics and doesn't need them to evoke a depth of emotion often beyond anything with words could. It doesn't matter how much I like the sound of a song, if the lyrics are crap I'm going to pass on it. There are a few bands in this thread I might check out, honestly there's just too much out there to even know what to check out, I try to listen to at least one new album each week, sometimes a whole discography, but it's like a drop in the ocean. I see Dream Theater and Opeth on your list TwoPiece, I remember planning to listen to them along with a bunch of stuff I got when I was a teen, unfortunately I only got through half of it before my pc at the time was stolen (I only had a backup of the songs I liked, not my whole collection) so I never got to those particular two, maybe I should revisit that, I've been on a bit of a symphonic/progressive metal bender lately.

How did you guys start developing your own tastes and discovering new things? Honestly my parents didn't have their own taste so that wasn't an influence. For me strangely enough it started as a young teen with the NFS Most Wanted soundtrack, specifically the tracks by Bullet For My Valentine and Disturbed, then spiralled out from there in all sorts of interesting directions. So while I started with metal and still enjoy it greatly I must say that I really dislike screaming and really heavy stuff, it has no musical value to me and I can't even understand what's being said. There are various exceptions of course but 90% of the time the screaming/growling parts would be immeasurably better and elevate the entire song if just sung normally. I don't find metal energetic or angry (well, I don't listen to the angry stuff) and don't head bang etc, I listen past the surface level of all that to the underlying melody, mood and lyrics. Anyway I'll just throw some out there from the 200 or so bands I have folders for. All my music, as with everything, is meticulously organised, I have a folder for each band with only the songs I like from them inside, the full albums are elsewhere, I don't use playlists or stream music and only listen to songs from one band at a time because I like consistency. I also often repeat a group of songs I like for an entire day or one song for a couple hours because hearing it just once is like taking a single bite of chocolate and putting the rest away for a month, you can't really dig into it in a satisfying way. If it's a new-to-me album I really like, in some cases I've spent a week listening to it. I also don't watch music videos, read about the bands or their members, or even look at photos of them if I can help it, because it would interfere with my own interpretation of what I'm listening to which I base purely on the song itself and what I see/hear in it.

Metal/Rock:
Bullet For My Valentine
In Flames
JORN (recently listened to their rock opera for the first time, Dracula Swing of Death, highly recommended!)
Chevelle
Within Temptation
Disturbed
Dragonland (Astronomy is a masterpiece album, in my top 5 all time)
Beyond Twilight (For The Love of Art and The Making is an incredible ride of an experimental album)
Epica (recently got into these guys, lots of good stuff)
Flyleaf
Kamelot
Lunatica
Machinae Supremacy
Metallica (I only just got their discography, have yet to listen through it all, so just a few songs I've always liked for now)
Queen (early this year listened to full discography (original japanese pressings), love the first two albums Queen and Queen II, definitely my favourites, surprisingly fantasy metal-ish)
The Gaslight Anthem (really great down to earth rock)
Pink Floyd(mostly just The Dark Side of The Moon, everything before it was boring, everything after The Wall was too generically 80's)
Apocalyptica
Crippled Black Phoenix

Post-Rock:
Balmorhea (#2 favourite, sublimely unique)
Explosions in The Sky(#1, saw them live and almost left a sticky chair behind, some of their songs can leave a tear in my eye from the pure beauty)
God Is An Astronaut (spacey post-rock, incredible)
Glorie
Helios
If These Trees Could Talk
Mogwai
The American Dollar
65daysofstatic
Collapse Under The Empire
Maybeshewill
Sleepmakeswaves
This Will Destroy You

Electronic-ish, beats:
PILOTPRIEST(simply wonderful slightly retro synth sound)
Boogie Belgique (incredible, think the genre is called Electro-Swing, Caravan Palace are famous for it but I straight up deleted them after hearing this)
BADBADNOTGOOD(used to think they were a lot better until I heard Boogie Belgique)
Brock Berrigan
Broke For FreeDaft Punk (The Alive 2007 album specifically)
Lindsey Stirling
Lazerhawk
Pendulum(first album Hold Your Colour only)
Ratatat
Tom Day(just beautiful)

Punk/Indie/Alternative:
Broken Bells
Choir of Young Believers
Dead Man's Bones(utterly unique and wonderful, didn't know for years but freaking Ryan Gosling helped make the one and only album :shock:)
Devotchka
Florence + The Machine
Freelance Whales
I Am Oak
In The Valley Below
Jake Bugg
Kasabian(fantastic)
Kyte
Michael Kiwanuka
Midnight Juggernauts
Ou est Le Swimming Pool
Puggy
Team Me
Patrick Wolf
The Big Pink
The Antlers
The Lighthouse and The Whaler
The Mary Onettes(a favourite of mine)
The Sounds
Two Door Cinema Club
Youth Lagoon
Wolf Gang(outstanding)

OST/Soundtrack:
Ennio Morricone
Studio Ghibli
Django Unchained
Bastion
Transistor (exquisite)
Assassin's Creed II(best OST I've ever heard from anything, a masterpiece, the AC Brotherhood and Revelations OST's are also worth listening to)
Obscure 2
Two Steps From Hell(these guys just make epic sounding tracks you'd expect to hear in film scores, and boy are they epic)

Other:
ABBA (I mean come on, how could I not? Perfect road trip songs)
The Beach Boys
Tatu
Eminem
Trans-Siberian Orchestra
Assorted Classical
Assorted Jazz (I got into jazz thanks to the great anime, Kids on The Slope)
Assorted 50's
Assorted Radio (hundreds of pre-2007 radio songs, mostly 70's/80's/90's classics, I'd love to go in and check out many of the individual bands one day but like I said at the start, too much music, too little time)
Harvonsgard

I just read the list of an Aussie that has similar taste in music without freakin' NORTHLANE(!?) on it ... :shock:

Don't you know them or don't you like them? @Adonael
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
Adonael

Unread post by Adonael »

shiroo56 wrote:I just read the list of an Aussie that has similar taste in music without freakin' NORTHLANE(!?) on it ... :shock:

Don't you know them or don't you like them? @Adonael
Never heard of them! I don't have any vested interest in local music so unless I discover it generally, I just won't know. Tom Day from my list is Australian though, and his work is breathtakingly beautiful. After a quick listen on youtube Northlane actually does seem worth checking out for their less heavy songs :).

Might as well put here too because it's such a lesser-known genre, that Post-Rock very often doesn't sound like rock at all, it's a very varied genre with a focus on being instrumental, here's an example from Balmorhea:
Harvonsgard

Adonael wrote:Never heard of them! I don't have any vested interest in local music so unless I discover it generally, I just won't know. Tom Day from my list is Australian though, and his work is breathtakingly beautiful. After a quick listen on youtube Northlane actually does seem worth checking out for their less heavy songs :).
I'm in for the heavier songs :D . But I aswell love the calmer (lol) stuff from them + their instrumental parts are always awesome. Their singer had to call quits (who would have thought, his voice cracked :roll: ) after the first two LPs (Discoveries / Singularity) but he still supports the band with song writing/lyrics. So I guess the following two LPs (Node / Mesmer) are more your thing since the new singer Marcus is way softer.

Your list is pretty awesome, btw, definetly have to check some stuff out. Seeing someone having Bullet, Flyleaf, Disturbed and Kasabian on the list, means always they have quality taste ;). I need to compile a list aswell...

Adonael

Unread post by Adonael »

shiroo56 wrote:Your list is pretty awesome, btw, definetly have to check some stuff out. Seeing someone having Bullet, Flyleaf, Disturbed and Kasabian on the list, means always they have quality taste ;). I need to compile a list aswell...
Can confirm, I do have awesome taste in almost all things.
6c9bc7ef25780e1c73a11d318f5b3a83.gif
6c9bc7ef25780e1c73a11d318f5b3a83.gif (36.45 KiB) Viewed 3771 times
Except food, I'm totally basic when it comes to food lol best I can cook is a mean toasted sandwhich or omelette. Definitely post your own list, sounds like there will be some stuff for me to check out too and I'm always down for that :P.
theCapraAegagrus

Adonael wrote:
shiroo56 wrote:Your list is pretty awesome, btw, definetly have to check some stuff out. Seeing someone having Bullet, Flyleaf, Disturbed and Kasabian on the list, means always they have quality taste ;). I need to compile a list aswell...
Can confirm, I do have awesome taste in almost all things.
6c9bc7ef25780e1c73a11d318f5b3a83.gif
Except food, I'm totally basic when it comes to food lol best I can cook is a mean toasted sandwhich or omelette. Definitely post your own list, sounds like there will be some stuff for me to check out too and I'm always down for that :P.
This holographic frog just murdered me.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠