Anyone have any info on a deck I saw once..

Off-topic randomness, anything goes. Keep it PG-13.
aztecas101
Collector: Yes

Anyone have any info on a deck I saw once..

Unread post by aztecas101 »

It was on an eBay auction a saw months ago, maybe last year. As always I'm exploring eBay, looking to see what I can find, when a deck spots my eye (This was before I had much info on decks mind you)
It was a thistle back deck but noticed it was a gold/goldish color tuck box I did some basic searching and noticed it didn't mention being made in this color, just the typical red/blue backs. The next thing I noticed was that it had gilted edges as well as mentioned on the tuck. I look at it for a while, then looked at the starting offer bid of 99$. I decided to risk it, threw a bid in and took a chance. 4 days later I remembered that I had bid on said deck and decided to see if anyone had outbid me.... Yup. It was up to 600$ when I saw it that day and decided I wasn't gonna play w the big boys hahahaha

I wonder if someone here owns that deck...
My playing card Collection(still not completely updated)https://playingcarddb.com/mycollection?u=7307
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
Player: Yes
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Re: Anyone have any info on a deck I saw once..

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Decks similar to that come up every once in a while, but seldom are there any bargains to be had, unless you just happen upon someone who doesn't have a clue what they have or the auction is misplaced, misspelled, etc.

I saw a 1900'ish Bicycle 808 "acorn" back in green - the hardest to find - about six months ago. In the end it went for $808.08 - MUCH more than the Hochman's encyclopedia of playing cards pricing guide shows, and as always - that's just a guideline. The point is, for it to go for that much, at least two people had to be willing to bid $800, or it wouldn't have been pushed up that high.

If you find a plain Congress 404 identical to the gilded 606 version, you would think that the 606 is worth more. The problem is that they only made 404 versions for a few years, and in general there are 4× - 5× or more of the gilded (606) version. The 404 Congress is much harder to find in good condition simply because they were not treated as well - most times.

My best "get" is an Arny/Navy 303 in nearly mint condition, the cost was $300, we'll worth it to me. Your milage may vary, of course. It's all subjective. Not my quote, but a deck is worth precisely what you can get someone to pay for it. It has Dundreary #1 Joker and the original Ace of Spades, and vintage and antique collectors would say "52+J" and OB1 - all 53 cards with Original Box in "as issued" condition. Hochman's screws you up here as well, this (US6, one of very few where the 404 is equal value) is listed as red, blue and black backs, but obviously it was issued in a purple with herringbone gold metallic back as well. Noone has ever seen one just like it that I am aware. This was made in 1881 - 1885, so at least 130 years old.
tmp_29958-_422018283811.jpg
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
aztecas101

Re: Anyone have any info on a deck I saw once..

Unread post by aztecas101 »

Thanks for the info
My playing card Collection(still not completely updated)https://playingcarddb.com/mycollection?u=7307