Autograph or no autograph???

Off-topic randomness, anything goes. Keep it PG-13.
ccralleo

Autograph or no autograph???

Unread post by ccralleo »

As a collector what do you prefer… An autographed deck or one without? Why or why not?
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Re: Autograph or no autograph???

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Moved this to General.

I've opted for signatures a few times where the option was present (in Kickstarters and such), but to be honest I only prefer autographs if they're personalized. I have one from Lance Miller that says "To Tom" in addition to his signature, and although I didn't really form a personal relation with him until later on, it holds much more (sentimental) value to me than any of my more generic signed decks.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

Hehe ive got a couple of those To kai, from lotrek XD
ccralleo

Unread post by ccralleo »

I have two complete Federal 52 collections... in one the branded and unbranded limited reserve note black jackson removed the cellophane to sign them so there are no serial numbers... the other set contains beth decks unsigned in cellophane with serial numbers... witch ones would be more desirable?
montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

It depends on the person really...

If you're considering letting one of your sets go the question is which would you regret losing the most?
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

Not sure if you are same person that asked at PCF, but here's what I said there with a few updates.

Proving a signature on a deck is legitimate can be difficult, but it's pretty obvious if it has been opened or not. I suppose there are ways to document a signature or possibly analyze, but I don't think having a proper analysis done is worth it. Plus, depending on where it was signed can take away from a quality tuck. Because of this the primary market where you have the option to obtain or not, ideally can choose location, and know it is authentic is ideal. The secondary market for them might have value, but given it could be a fake and can take away from a tuck appearance and value if it is a fake means it's best for keeps. The signed bands I suppose are an interesting idea and can give best of both?

Personally though, I open every one of my decks and prefer signatures on the tuck directly with cellophane removed. However, getting a deck signed is only meaningful to me if it's a select few artists. I have no plans to sell for profit so I really don't care though. So yeah, I devalue my collection, but I promise I enjoy it more than many others. Choices, we all make them. I have a number of signed decks and given the option will still take them for more meaning, but Jackson and Emmanuel would be the two I'm most interested in continuing that trend if I can. Primarily due to where they sign and their strong history and future. I'm sure others might get added to the preferred list over time as well.
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

Haha what are the rarest signatures you have ?

Typically overseas KS creators dont get their hands personally on the decks, so you dont see that many signed decks around. That being said, i some have signed stuff from Lorenzo, Lotrek & Randy. =D
montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

I have some brickboxes signed by Randy, and decks signed by Jackson, Bucks, De'vo & Lotrek and whoever did that Dragon deck (I forget)