Random rant

Off-topic randomness, anything goes. Keep it PG-13.
nECr0MaNCeD
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 677

Random rant

Unread post by nECr0MaNCeD »

It's no secret (I think) that Seasons is one of my most anticipated decks. My original Seronda/Primavera set is among my most prized. When I got my shipping notice on the 7th and saw that it was picked up on the 8th with a delivery date to me of the 10th (today) I was psyched to say the least. Now, for some reason the USPS has taken the last two days to move the decks a total of 10 miles. They left the last Post Office this morning, presumably en route to my Post Office. Either that or their tracking is way off and the cards will show up today and the tracking will complete in one fell swoop. It's happened.

[r]rant off[/r]
If it's too loud.... you're too old!
Eoghann

Re: Random rant

Unread post by Eoghann »

USPS is pretty wacky. Just recently I had someone send me a package from Connecticut that had not arrived after two weeks. I check the tracking and it said it was in Texas! I got it a few days later. Just random road trip the package took. :lol:
Cbkimble
Decks Owned: 363

Re: Random rant (wap)

Unread post by Cbkimble »

My seasons says delivered but I haven't received it. Gotta check and see if it's at the post office and they just didn't leave a slip.
Feeding the addiction one deck at a time.
chach
White Whale: Vietnam Era Secret Weapon
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by chach »

And they wonder why the USPS is running into the ground. Also the reason why it costs one quarter the amount of UPS or FedEx though. Guess you get what you pay for.

I think we need Kevin Costner to step in as the Postmaster General right about now. He got packages delivered at least.
WTB/WTT: Vietnam Era Bicycle Secret Weapon Deck
th4mo

Unread post by th4mo »

chach wrote:And they wonder why the USPS is running into the ground. Also the reason why it costs one quarter the amount of UPS or FedEx though. Guess you get what you pay for.

I think we need Kevin Costner to step in as the Postmaster General right about now. He got packages delivered at least.

Mistakes happen. No need to malign the USPS. They must deliver to the ENTIRE country, not just the profitable areas, at a flat fee, and they have to jump through serious hoops with Congress to even try to raise rates so they can cover their actual operating expenses... U.S. postage rates, as much as people like to belly-ache, are among the cheapest in the world.

Even though I only send a handful of letters or postcards in a given year, I think it's pretty damn amazing that you can send a letter all the way across the country, to someone way out in the sticks, for less than a dollar. Try that with UPS or Fedex! 8-)
Keep it Sizzlin'!
nECr0MaNCeD
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 677

Unread post by nECr0MaNCeD »

th4mo wrote:
chach wrote:And they wonder why the USPS is running into the ground. Also the reason why it costs one quarter the amount of UPS or FedEx though. Guess you get what you pay for.

Mistakes happen. No need to malign the USPS. They must deliver to the ENTIRE country, not just the profitable areas, at a flat fee, and they have to jump through serious hoops with Congress to even try to raise rates so they can cover their actual operating expenses... U.S. postage rates, as much as people like to belly-ache, are among the cheapest in the world.

Even though I only send a handful of letters or postcards in a given year, I think it's pretty damn amazing that you can send a letter all the way across the country, to someone way out in the sticks, for less than a dollar. Try that with UPS or Fedex! 8-)

I agree 100%. They also manage to do all of that and break a lot less stuff in the process. I recently read an article about a study that showed that UPS dropped and damaged items almost twice as much as the USPS and Fedex nearly 3 times as much. I built a gaming PC for a friend's son and shipped it from here (suburban Wash DC) to Minnesota. It arrived severely damaged in a way that almost had to be deliberate.

Card collecting is expensive enough. Imagine paying UPS/Fedex bloated prices on top of that. My rant was merely good natured complaining really and I am sure there is some sort of reason.

There are a lot of ways the USPS could make more money and better compete with the private companies but everything they do is subject to Congressional oversight. If the auto industry had to do that we would still be getting out to crank start the car.
If it's too loud.... you're too old!