Promote a City (The vacation thread)

Off-topic randomness, anything goes. Keep it PG-13.
volantangel
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 350

Promote a City (The vacation thread)

Unread post by volantangel »

Out of ideas on where to head to for your next vacation ? Or did you just visit an awesome city that you cant wait to share with others, it could even be your own city, convince others to come visit you !

Provide a short write up (maybe), add in lots of pictures, talk to others, have fun in this thread !
volantangel

Re: Promote a City (The vacation thread)

So let me just go first :D

City: Prague (Praha)

Prague is a charming city brimming with culture, the capital of the Czech Republic. The architecture and food are amazing, and it doesnt bust your budget, prices are extremely reasonable, fluttering somewhere between western and eastern Europe prices (closer to eastern). There is just so much to explore, and if you are comfortable on your feet, most of the central city is accessible on foot. Visiting Europe? Dont miss out on Prague, really.

Anyone else been there? Living there? Chime in !
IMG_4827.jpg
IMG_4858.jpg
IMG_5146.jpg
IMG_5244.jpg

ps. these are my photos, and i trust that no one will copy them and put them on stock image sites. :D
Slavich

Unread post by Slavich »

volantangel wrote:So let me just go first :D

City: Prague (Praha)

Prague is a charming city brimming with culture, the capital of the Czech Republic. The architecture and food are amazing, and it doesnt bust your budget, prices are extremely reasonable, fluttering somewhere between western and eastern Europe prices (closer to eastern). There is just so much to explore, and if you are comfortable on your feet, most of the central city is accessible on foot. Visiting Europe? Dont miss out on Prague, really.

Anyone else been there? Living there? Chime in !
IMG_4827.jpg
IMG_4858.jpg
IMG_5146.jpg
IMG_5244.jpg
ps. these are my photos, and i trust that no one will copy them and put them on stock image sites. :D
Very beautiful photography Kai! Because I live here and my photography skills are not too good, yet :D , I'll refrain from making a double post about the same city :)

When did you visit?
nECr0MaNCeD
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 677

Unread post by nECr0MaNCeD »

Beautiful city. It looks similar to Vienna. I'll try to find pics of Vienna from when I lived there in 2007/2008.
If it's too loud.... you're too old!
chach
White Whale: Vietnam Era Secret Weapon
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by chach »

My family lived in Beograd, Yugoslavia back in the late 80's (father was Army attaché stationed there.) we traveled all over Eastern Europe (spent a week in Prague as part of an International School camp like thing and absolutely loved it). The other 4 cities that really stuck with me when I was there as a kid and would love to return to now as an adult are (in no particular order) Venice Italy, Kraków Poland, Budapest Hungary and Thessaloniki Greece

Places that I haven't been to but want to visit include Rome, Stuttgart (Got to go to the Porsche Museum) and Wolfsburg for the VW museum.

Stateside, I would say one needs to hit the 4 major cities, Washington DC for the museums and memorials, New York for the best hockey team in the world, the New York Rangers playing at MSG, Chicago to visit the art and technology museums and see the best baseball team at the greatest ballpark ever built, the Cubs @ Wrigley Field and finally San Francisco because there's just no other city quite like it.

Down in my other homeland, Gotta recommend going to the Gold Coast (near Brisbane) some of the most beautiful beaches (and women) in the world and to the Northern tip there's Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef. Sydney is alright, but if going down there I'd prefer to head inland a bit to Canberra or where my mum's family is from, Cowra. If you ever wanted proof that there's a God, you'll find it looking at the landscapes in that area.

TL;DR
Go to:
Venice, Kraków, Budapest and Thessaloniki in Europe
Washington DC, New York, Chicago and San Francisco in the US
Cairns, Gold Coast and Canberra in Australia.
WTB/WTT: Vietnam Era Bicycle Secret Weapon Deck
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

Ghent/Gent Belgium

I was in the area for a work assignment a number of years ago and Ghent was my favorite city for that trip and still is from all of them. My brother and his wife also stopped there on my recommendation and they also loved it. The gothic archetecture of the cathedrals, Gravensteen castle and other buildings is awesome on it's own, but add in the canals, great people and BEER = win. I was planning to also visit Bruges, but enjoyed Ghent so much and from the looks of it that was far more touristy and less gothic and raw.

A few google images cause I'm lazy

volantangel

Phew for a moment i thought nobody travelled anymore.

@slavich, i was there about this time 2 years ago, give or take a couple of weeks, just past winter was still bloody cold at night. I probably have a couple more pictures, but theres all i have on the work computer. I might add in a few more to show off this awesome city !

@chach, loved krakow & budapest, i have mixed feelings about venice (probably because i went on a 40 degree celcius day) and not yet been to greece!

@nate, Ghent seems like a lovely place, heard brugges was nice as well! Never had a chance to visit either. But i might post about amsterdam soon, loved that place.
chach

Unread post by chach »

I highly recommend going to Greece if you get the chance. Incredible food (nothing like a proper gyro), very nice people and swimming in the Aegean Sea is like nothing else. I can't remember the town off the top of my head right now but we rented a beachfront bungalow for a few days when we were vacationing there. The sea was so calm it was more like a lake and was incredibly shallow. Was able to walk out about 50 meters from shore and the water level was only chest high and it was all sand too. Didn't have to worry about stubbing your toes or cutting your feet on rocks. And even then, the water was crystal clear so you could see everything going on beneath the surface. Great place to frolic or relax but not so good if you want to surf
Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Lotrek »

PRAGUE!!!

I was there back in 1992, absolutely loved the city. I think it's easily one of the most beautiful cities in Europe. I'm planning to travel there soon. I want to see how things have and haven't changed since my last visit.

Slavich, you're definitely VERY lucky to live there! ;)
"Bite more than you can chew and then chew it"

----------------------------------------------------------
fb: https://www.facebook.com/oathplayingcards/
twitter:@OathPCC
volantangel

Amsterdam

A city full of canals, flowers, bicycles, windmills, art and cheese. What more can you ask for in a city ?? I think ill let the pictures speak for itself =)

MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

volantangel wrote:What more can you ask for in a city ??
Legal drugs? Oh right, it has that too :ugdance:
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
chach

Unread post by chach »

MagikFingerz wrote:
volantangel wrote:What more can you ask for in a city ??
Legal drugs? Oh right, it has that too :ugdance:
Don't forget the prostitutes too. Drugs, prostitutes and wind mills. Gotta love Amsterdam.