Old custom deck question

Off-topic randomness, anything goes. Keep it PG-13.
nECr0MaNCeD
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 677

Old custom deck question

Unread post by nECr0MaNCeD »

OK folks. My inexperience with older decks is showing.

I was browsing at a local Thrift store (We have tons) and grabbed a few decks. I picked up a 2 deck bridge deck made by Arrco. (No date code that I could find) Other than dirty edges they are in great shape, all of the cards and jokers are present. Here is the part that is bugging me. The backs are single color with black/gold trim and white borders. The only other thing on the backs are the initials M.C.B.L. With the dots/periods. Since the thrift store and my home are in Montgomery County MD I am assuming it stands for Montgomery County Bridge League.

I was under the impression that the only custom cards made before the "modern" era were advertising decks for large companies that could afford the cost. Does anyone have any information about this subject or care to weigh in?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.
If it's too loud.... you're too old!
chach
White Whale: Vietnam Era Secret Weapon
Decks Owned: 0

Re: Old custom deck question

Unread post by chach »

Not much to weigh in, but bridge cards used to be easily obtained with one's initials / name. As to how they were ordered I have no idea but do know companies like congress, arrco, etc... Offered them.
WTB/WTT: Vietnam Era Bicycle Secret Weapon Deck
nECr0MaNCeD

chach wrote:Not much to weigh in, but bridge cards used to be easily obtained with one's initials / name. As to how they were ordered I have no idea but do know companies like congress, arrco, etc... Offered them.
Thanks for the info. I thought high print runs were always the way it was done. Maybe that was one of USPCC "innovations" when the bought those companies? :shock:
dazzleguts
White Whale: Das Kartenspiel Des Oberdeutsc
Decks Owned: 885

Unread post by dazzleguts »

I believe the styles which were used for monogram were printed in large numbers, and then the monogram was added, on request, with another very simple print run. I'm basing this on the monogram decks I've seen where the monogram printing has been made with so much pressure that the faces of the cards are embossed from it, but no other part of the printing was doing that. I also think I've read somewhere that Congress monogram decks were made ahead that way so perhaps so were the ones made by Arrco. It makes sense from a production stand point.

Have you determined the age of the cards yet necro? I put a 1930s Arrco deck in the DB recently that has a great Art Deco style joker. Its the "Terrier Black" deck. If yours has that joker it could from the same time period. I found mine in a thrift store too. It was in a Tilley wallet box that I opened when I felt the cards slide around. :shock:
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"
nECr0MaNCeD

dazzleguts wrote:I believe the styles which were used for monogram were printed in large numbers, and then the monogram was added, on request, with another very simple print run. I'm basing this on the monogram decks I've seen where the monogram printing has been made with so much pressure that the faces of the cards are embossed from it, but no other part of the printing was doing that. I also think I've read somewhere that Congress monogram decks were made ahead that way so perhaps so were the ones made by Arrco. It makes sense from a production stand point.

Have you determined the age of the cards yet necro? I put a 1930s Arrco deck in the DB recently that has a great Art Deco style joker. Its the "Terrier Black" deck. If yours has that joker it could from the same time period. I found mine in a thrift store too. It was in a Tilley wallet box that I opened when I felt the cards slide around. :shock:

Thanks Dazzleguts! :ugdance: :ugdance: :ugdance: Somehow I knew you would weigh in. Both decks are complete with both jokers and in a 2 deck box. There are two holes, one under each deck that allows you to pop the decks up for removal. Is this a Tilley box? Sadly the top of the box is missing. I checked the cards and the monogram doesn't look to show through any. I know how to date USPCC cards but not Arrco decks before USPCC bought them out. I'll break out the Camera and take some pics of the AoS and Jokers. Thanks again for your invaluable help. :ugdance: :ugdance:
dazzleguts

:D
Glad that was of help necro.

No, if the box is paper then your decks sound like they were in a Congress inner box that would slide into a larger outer box. One of those ones with the fuzzy felt surface and gold foiling. The holes in the bottom of the inner box are covered by the outer box to protect the cards.

Tilley makes wallets and other leather goods, which is why it was such a pleasant surprise to find the cards when I opened a Tilley box. I've taken to opening any box in a thrift store that looks vaguely card sized in case a deck without a box made it's way in there. Found some great decks that way.

Some had elastic bands around them so I have to open boxes to be sure - can't tell by shaking them. Hate elastic bands :evil:. Over time the rubber adheres to the paper, or else warps or indents the deck.

Show me the ace and jokers and we may be able to date the deck using the Hochman Encyclopedia, or WWPCM.
Worldwide Time Machine

nECr0MaNCeD

dazzleguts wrote::D
Glad that was of help necro.

No, if the box is paper then your decks sound like they were in a Congress inner box that would slide into a larger outer box. One of those ones with the fuzzy felt surface and gold foiling. The holes in the bottom of the inner box are covered by the outer box to protect the cards.

Tilley makes wallets and other leather goods, which is why it was such a pleasant surprise to find the cards when I opened a Tilley box. I've taken to opening any box in a thrift store that looks vaguely card sized in case a deck without a box made it's way in there. Found some great decks that way.

Some had elastic bands around them so I have to open boxes to be sure - can't tell by shaking them. Hate elastic bands :evil:. Over time the rubber adheres to the paper, or else warps or indents the deck.

Show me the ace and jokers and we may be able to date the deck using the Hochman Encyclopedia, or WWPCM.

Thanks. Sorry for the delay. I've been bouncing between my granddaughters birthday party and the computer. Here are a couple pics. I've never seen Hochman Encyclopedia or WWPCM. Do you have liinks?

Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Duratone is tough to date, mostly used the same AoS from mid 40's to 60's.

Im no expert on those, but it is a starting point.
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
dazzleguts

The Hochman Encyclopedia of American Playing Cards is an excellent reference book, while the WWPCM (World Web Playing Card Museum) is a huge online resource that you can see here:

http://a.trionfi.eu/WWPCM/

You obviously haven't seen the resources section in the Worldwide Time Machine :o .
There are many web sites and books listed there that can help identify and date decks, including the Hochman and WWPCM. Check it out.

Mike is right, Duratone is hard to date. It's so unvarying in look, and has no date code. But that range does narrow it down eh? Thanks Mike. :)

I forgot the fuzzy and gold foil boxes were used with Duratones as well. US decks are not really my strong suit ;) .
Have to go get ready for an evening out.
Worldwide Time Machine

nECr0MaNCeD

Thanks Mike and Dazzle. (Love the new Avatar Dazzle!)

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. Chasing a bunch of 4-7 year olds for a few hours put me to sleep early. :oops:

I found the backs, AoS and Jokers on WWPCM (Thanks for the link) Sorry I didn't find it for myself. Just starting to get interested in older decks.

Surprisingly my brother-in-laws mom and dad were bridge players and belonged to the Montgomery County Bridge League. He doesn't remember seeing any cards but told me the MCBL was at it's height in the mid to late 50s. Unless I find a former member I doubt I'll get an exact date but that's Ok. I am pleased I found these complete (besides the top of the box) and in good condition)

Thanks again for all of the help and I hope you had a great night out Dazzle!