The art of Money Lost (KS)

Off-topic randomness, anything goes. Keep it PG-13.
badpete69
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

The art of Money Lost (KS)

Unread post by badpete69 »

For those who like Jackson's art

chach
White Whale: Vietnam Era Secret Weapon
Decks Owned: 0

Re: The art of Money Lost (KS)

Unread post by chach »

From my understanding, it's just the first $5 note shown that a print is available of, which doesn't really float my fancy. If the $2 note was available I may purchase, but honestly Jackson's reproduction isn't as nice as the original piece. Though it is a lot more affordable, $40 instead of hundreds that an original note is worth.

I'm wondering if anyone will fork out the $7.5k for the original. :o
WTB/WTT: Vietnam Era Bicycle Secret Weapon Deck
sinjin7
Cardist: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by sinjin7 »

They sure don't make money like they used to. I collect coins and currency as well as playing cards. While I'd love to have one of the original bills in crisp condition, I don't know if these reproductions really float my boat. For it to be a legal reproduction, it has to be under 75% of the size of the original bill, or over twice the size, so the size can't be anywhere close to the original. JackSon opted to go the larger route. But the deal killer for me is that to be legal, these reproductions can only be printed on one side, so we're not getting a reproduction of the whole bill, just one side and its blank on the other side. At the end of the day, all this is amounts to is a hand drawn, enlarged picture of an old bill. I could take a digital picture of the original bill, enlarge it, and print out hundreds of copies and essentially have the same thing.

I hope Jack$on remembers to destroy the printing plates when he's done cranking out copies, because that's also a federal requirement when producing reproductions of actual U.S. currency.
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

chach wrote:From my understanding, it's just the first $5 note shown that a print is available of, which doesn't really float my fancy. If the $2 note was available I may purchase, but honestly Jackson's reproduction isn't as nice as the original piece. Though it is a lot more affordable, $40 instead of hundreds that an original note is worth.

I'm wondering if anyone will fork out the $7.5k for the original. :o

The $2 was announced as a stretch goal and will be available for an additional $25 shipped once the project hits $10k (at about $8.4 now). Would assume the $1 will be added at $20k.
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

I don't like how they are now doing a poll for what stretch goal to do next, but it's a KS project and I guess it's only fair. I just hope they confirm which one soon and announce it so maybe that will get people to up their pledge again. It lost a net of 3 people and $140 today, possibly due to this lack of updates. I was hoping to get all 3 of the original set, but a new $5 thrown into the mix makes it very unlikely we'll see all of them and certainly not all of them with the backs. At least he picked the best one as the base IMHO.

I just love this style of artwork and that turn of the century look, especially the 'new electric era' themes. And the old money concept, that's very cool. Even though it's not art deco I think this would go well in my art deco revival style decorated home theater I'm building. This needs a major push soon with just over 12 days left.

ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

Took out the previous $1 option, but added nice new $90 pledge with bonus deck. The new $5 is nice, but the $1 fit better as a series.
All three prints have been made available in my Art of Money Lost Kickstarter. Also anyone who pledges more than $90 (all three prints) will also receive a Silver Certificate deck as well.
Cbkimble
Decks Owned: 363

Re: The art of Money Lost (KS) (wap)

Unread post by Cbkimble »

I didn't understand that. He had a $1 up originally, why did it change to a $5? I haven't pledged yet. Watching to see if I can.
Feeding the addiction one deck at a time.
Marcus
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by Marcus »

Have to admit I've pledged for all three. I was hoping that we'd get at least one of the backs (the green would make for a nice contrast to the front of the bills) but looks like that won't happen, at least not during this campaign.
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

Marcus wrote:Have to admit I've pledged for all three. I was hoping that we'd get at least one of the backs (the green would make for a nice contrast to the front of the bills) but looks like that won't happen, at least not during this campaign.
I went for all 3 as well, mostly because of silver certificate deck since I'm not sold on that new $5 addition (I still want what was originally planned in the $1 proper part of the educational series). Only 4 days left, not much time to add that in as well.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

It's good stuff, but nothing original nor innovative. I am in for all three as both of you indicated as well. I like things like this, and I have to admit Jackson hit me in a week spot, since I used to collect old currency as well as coins, which I still do to a certain extent although I really love some of the latest Canadian and US Mint proof coins! Especially certain ones of the Canadian mint truly are innovative and different from anything we have seen, as is the concept that you can buy something like these for the face value, as in some of the $20 & $50CAD coins. Most of the time you pay 10× to 20× or even more for a proof coin of any type.
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
SuicideKing

Unread post by SuicideKing »

Mike Ratledge wrote:It's good stuff, but nothing original nor innovative. I am in for all three as both of you indicated as well. I like things like this, and I have to admit Jackson hit me in a week spot, since I used to collect old currency as well as coins, which I still do to a certain extent although I really love some of the latest Canadian and US Mint proof coins! Especially certain ones of the Canadian mint truly are innovative and different from anything we have seen, as is the concept that you can buy something like these for the face value, as in some of the $20 & $50CAD coins. Most of the time you pay 10× to 20× or even more for a proof coin of any type.

There is a $200 for $200 now available at Canadian Mint.
Marcus
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by Marcus »

ecNate wrote:Took out the previous $1 option, but added nice new $90 pledge with bonus deck. The new $5 is nice, but the $1 fit better as a series.
Cbkimble wrote:I didn't understand that. He had a $1 up originally, why did it change to a $5? I haven't pledged yet. Watching to see if I can.
Looks like the $1 bill just became available as well now that the project hit $15k, in case you were holding out for it.
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

About 2.5 years later, but here's mine framed and hung. I just used a nicer poster frame and custom cut the mat myself. The recommended T-hinge mount isn't working very well so I may take a chance and add more tape for support.

Getting error doing attachment, so here
Attachments
Money_Lost_Framed.jpg
Cbkimble
Decks Owned: 363

Unread post by Cbkimble »

Looks good. Mine are still sitting tube. Lol. I've got 2 or 3 sets. Been meaning to frame them and give a set as a gift.
Feeding the addiction one deck at a time.