Explain your UC User Name and Avatar

Off-topic randomness, anything goes. Keep it PG-13.
RSLancastr
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 2500

Re: Explain your UC User Name and Avatar

Unread post by RSLancastr »

...and how tough is it to say "Lancaster"? just pronounce it the way it is spelled, how tough is that?

But noooo, I hear:
  • Landcaster
  • Langkister
  • Lanchester
  • Lankashear (???)
...and a few other permutations as well.

ETA:

A couple of years ago, my wife and I lived in the Lancaster Commons Apartments, in the North Lancaster neighborhood of Salem, just off of Lancaster Street, a few blocks north of the Lancaster Mall.

One day, we visited an eyeglasses vendor IN the Lancaster Mall, ON Lancaster Street.

When it came time to place the order, I had a conversation with the sales clerk which began like this:
Clerk (filling out order form): Your name please?
Me: Robert Lancaster
Clerk: So that's spelled L-A-N-D...
Me: NO!! Like the name of the Mall you work in! Like the name of the street you work on!! L-A-N-C-A-S-T-E-R!!!
Good grief!
-Marcel Marceau
lolo

Unread post by lolo »

Surprise ! Lolo is my nickname...

My avatar is "superdupont" a french cartoon character. It's a super hero parody with all the faults and clichés about french people...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superdupont

Americans have superman, we have superdupont !
superdupont-250x362.jpg
superdupont-250x362.jpg (24.37 KiB) Viewed 1218 times
My collection
The French Touch with english grammatical errors copyrighted by myself
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
Player: Yes
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Robert, if you heard "Lan-kister" I'm betting it was someone that was or speaks Dutch or German. That's how the "Pennsylvania Dutch" say it. (they aren't Dutch, they are of German descent, like my mother's family surname is High or Hye in old English and Hoch in Tyskland / Germany.)
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
RSLancastr

lolo wrote:Surprise ! Lolo is my nickname...

My avatar is "superdupont" a french cartoon character. It's a super hero parody with all the faults and clichés about french people...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superdupont

Americans have superman, we have superdupont !
The attachment superdupont-250x362.jpg is no longer available
Thanks for the explanations, Lolo!

"Dupont" is best known to me, and probably to most Americans, as the name of a huge chemical company.

But it had never occurred to me, until I read your post about your avatar, that the word "Dupont" is, in fact, TWO words: "Du pont". I even know that "pont" is French for "bridge" (the structure, not, at least I don't think, the card game). I only know this from Pont neuf, etcetera, in Paris. So "Du pont" means "The bridge", something which simply never even occurred to me!

And now, armed with that information, I finally see that the word "DUPONT" within the famous "Dupont" logo ("DUPONT" inside an oval) is actually "DU PONT", but the space between the two words is narrow enough As to go unnoticed by those who, like me, were/are blissfully ignorant of it being two words. (see attachment below).

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DuPont:
E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company, commonly referred to as DuPont, is an American chemical company that was founded in July 1802 as a gunpowder mill by Eleuthère Irénée du Pont. DuPont was the world's third largest chemical company based on market capitalization[citation needed] and ninth based on revenue in 2012.[4] Its stock price is a component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average.
So thanks again Lolo, for the tidbit by which my poor brain made the connection.

SuperDupont would be proud (of you, not me)!

ETA: Another connection I had not made until now: The French word "Pont" (Bridge) and the Spanish word "Puente" (Bridge) almost certainly have a common ancestor!

What an educational thread/topic!!
Attachments
190px-DuPont_svg.png
190px-DuPont_svg.png (7.09 KiB) Viewed 1204 times
-Marcel Marceau
lolo

Unread post by lolo »

RSLancastr wrote: "Dupont" is best known to me, and probably to most Americans, as the name of a huge chemical company.

But it had never occurred to me, until I read your post about your avatar, that the word "Dupont" is, in fact, TWO words: "Du pont". I even know that "pont" is French for "bridge" (the structure, not, at least I don't think, the card game). I only know this from Pont neuf, etcetera, in Paris. So "Du pont" means "The bridge", something which simply never even occurred to me!
Here are two other celebrity in Eurore : detectives Dupont and Dupond (Thomson and Thompson in english) !
Belgique_Dupont_et_Dupond_Thomson_and_Thompson___e64cd1cb2e6c41559c696376b4097f16.jpg
Belgique_Dupont_et_Dupond_Thomson_and_Thompson___e64cd1cb2e6c41559c696376b4097f16.jpg (32.21 KiB) Viewed 1193 times
How to recognize them ? Dupond with a "D" have a mustache like a "D" (right) and Dupont with a "T" have a mustache like a "T" (left).

They were drawn by Hergé in "The Adventures of Tintin" :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Tintin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RSLancastr wrote: ETA: Another connection I had not made until now: The French word "Pont" (Bridge) and the Spanish word "Puente" (Bridge) almost certainly have a common ancestor!

What an educational thread/topic!!
This is normal : french, italian, spannish and portuguese language are all derived from Latin language.
My collection
RSLancastr

lolo wrote:How to recognize them ? Dupond with a "D" have a mustache like a "D" (right) and Dupont with a "T" have a mustache like a "T" (left).
I remember them well, from watching TinTin on television as a child! Does "Pond" mean anything in French?
This is normal : french, italian, spannish and portuguese language are all derived from Latin language.
How...Romantic! ;)
-Marcel Marceau
lolo

Unread post by lolo »

RSLancastr wrote:I remember them well, from watching TinTin on television as a child! Does "Pond" mean anything in French?
"Dupont", "Dupond" and "DuPont" with a space or not are evolution of the names during ages. For example, during 19th century, my ancestors have get one additionnal L to their name : "galard" to "gallard".
My collection
RSLancastr

lolo wrote:
RSLancastr wrote:I remember them well, from watching TinTin on television as a child! Does "Pond" mean anything in French?
"Dupont", "Dupond" and "DuPont" with a space or not are evolution of the names during ages. For example, during 19th century, my ancestors have get one additionnal L to their name : "galard" to "gallard".
Yes, many - perhaps most surnames have morphed over the ages.

My wife is a hobbyist genealogist and researched my family line, as a wedding present for my oldest sister. One interesting thing she discovered was that one of my earliest ancestors in America was a Robert Lanquashear when he first immigrated from England, but changed his last name to Lancaster, for unknown reasons.

My wife's mother's maiden name was Bumcrot, a Dutch name which, a few generations earlier, had been Bumcrotz (IIRC)
-Marcel Marceau
Norbie
Decks Owned: 8

Unread post by Norbie »

Norbie = Norbert

A nick name I got from my friends.

My favourite author. I also look a "little" bit like him. Well.... I think so anyway. ;)

Simple.
One Deck at a Time.... One Deck at a Time... One Deck at a Time...
montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

[quote="RSLancastr"]...and how tough is it to say "Lancaster"? just pronounce it the way it is spelled, how tough is that?

[*]Lankashear (???)[/list]
[quote]

I kind of expected that one, as Lancaster is a town in Lancashire (county) in the UK.

Pronunciation here would vary between the north and south:

Lan-CASS-ter in the north, and Lan-CAAS-ter in the south.
Diamond Back
Decks Owned: 1

Unread post by Diamond Back »

My username has two meanings.
It's a homage to my favorite deck of cards, the Bee Diamond Back
and it's also a reference to a gun in the game Team Fortress 2.

My avatar is a spy which is the class that uses the diamond back.
The Joker hat was a happy coincidence I came across. :D
RSLancastr

Diamond Back wrote:My username has two meanings.
It's a homage to my favorite deck of cards, the Bee Diamond Back
and it's also a reference to a gun in the game Team Fortress 2.

My avatar is a spy which is the class that uses the diamond back.
The Joker hat was a happy coincidence I came across. :D
Thanks for the explanations!
-Marcel Marceau
Godzillian

Unread post by Godzillian »

Avatar: Godzilla from Son of Godzilla
Reason: It is the worst Godzilla suit in all of the franchise. In fact, it's just the worst/campiest looking Godzilla period. Seriously, look up Son of Godzilla in Google Images. Minilla, the actual son of Godzilla, looks worse!

I just wanted to present the derpiest Godzilla around. It's difficult for me to take my own posts seriously now...
RSLancastr

Godzillian wrote:Avatar: Godzilla from Son of Godzilla
Reason: It is the worst Godzilla suit in all of the franchise. In fact, it's just the worst/campiest looking Godzilla period. Seriously, look up Son of Godzilla in Google Images. Minilla, the actual son of Godzilla, looks worse!
Yes. IIRC, Minilla looked a bit like a purple frog on its hindquarters.
I just wanted to present the derpiest Godzilla around.
I believe that you have succeeded, sir.

Oh, and thanks for the explanations!
-Marcel Marceau
Gruul
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 382

Unread post by Gruul »

I play a card game called Magic: The Gathering. In the game there are several different ways to play and colors that are associated with them. In this game, I normally play in Green and Red. This combo is often called Gruul due to a tribe of savages associated with these colors. The Avatar pic is the Gruul Signet. A kind of Burning Tree to represent green and red.
RSLancastr

Gruul wrote:I play a card game called Magic: The Gathering. In the game there are several different ways to play and colors that are associated with them. In this game, I normally play in Green and Red. This combo is often called Gruul due to a tribe of savages associated with these colors. The Avatar pic is the Gruul Signet. A kind of Burning Tree to represent green and red.
People still play MTG? My kids were into it big-time, back in the late 90s. They're now 28, 30 and 31 years old. I doubt that any of them still play it.

Oh, and thanks for the explanation!
-Marcel Marceau
Gruul
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 382

Unread post by Gruul »

Yup, it is still going. There is a pretty big following both competitive and casually. If they still have any of their stuff laying around, let me know. I still play at 28, although not nearly as much as I used to.
UtterFool

Unread post by UtterFool »

All right, here you go "BOB"

My user name is a simple explanation of my existence.
It is the name I use on just about every sight I go... I have just about forgotten my real name by now.

I have often had people say to me " you are a really intelligent person. Why do you consider yourself a fool."
There was a time even on these forums I tried to make intelligent conversation and had some say it to me then.
But foolishness isn't about knowledge . It is about common sense it is about making good choices, of which I have none and can not do.
Such as my example above at one time trying to make intelligent, rational, logical, arguments on the internees.

You see there was a time in my dark and angsty teen years I went by Fenris "because I saw myself as the wolf was, punished for the potential that he had, not for the actions he committed." (As I sad dark and angsty)
I thought at that time it would be best to at least be punished for the things I did.

And so there I was one evening sitting in a jail sell... A holding sell really, I wasn't sent to a jail, that I realized what a fool I really was.
I realized that at every stage of my life I was making the dumbest possible choice, I was buying into every hair brained plan that was laid before me (I mean I own a time share for Christ sake)
I realized that the only way to over come this destructive foolishness was to embrace it.
On that day I became an Utterfool.
I have since embraced an new role model. That of Don Quixote. Now It all has become an adventure one that I know will end horribly but one I will enjoy along the way.
I just got back to the US 4 years ago settled in, got a decent job, started collecting cards (spending multiple thousands in just a matter of 3 years), bought a house... And now I will be picking up and moving to Singapore by the end of the year.
Why, because "The wide wings of fortune" I follow them wither wherever they blow.

So there you have it Robert , "Utterfool" because I am a complete and Utter fool. The biggest I have met

Oh yeah

And my avatar is a duck
It is a picture I took of a neon dry cleaning sign at the Boneyard in Las Vegas.

A thoroughly uninteresting explanation.

By the way... He never said "they were giants" he said "They might be giants"
"I have nothing to declare except my folly"
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

UtterFool wrote: I just got back to the US 4 years ago settled in, got a decent job, started collecting cards (spending multiple thousands in just a matter of 3 years), bought a house... And now I will be picking up and moving to Singapore by the end of the year.
Well it seems like i might have one more person to talk about cards over lunch soon. No seriously hit me up if you need a quick guide to the country after you land =)
RSLancastr

Gruul wrote:Yup, it is still going. There is a pretty big following both competitive and casually. If they still have any of their stuff laying around, let me know. I still play at 28, although not nearly as much as I used to.
A few days after you posted this, I had a visit from my son (29 years old) and my eldest daughter (32 years old).

I asked if rather of them still played MTG. My daughter sad that she did not. My son said that he only played online, and that, only occasionally. He also said that he had sold off his collection of MTG cards a few years ago in order to make ends meet, and now owns only one card - one with sentimental value to him, evidently.
-Marcel Marceau
RSLancastr

UtterFool wrote:All right, here you go "BOB"
Thanks for the explanation, UF!

Both your avatar and user name have always seemed familiar to me. Did/do you post over at the JREF Forums?
-Marcel Marceau
CBJ
Decks Owned: 2000

Unread post by CBJ »

For those who haven't looked in my featured collector thread.. here it is...

"CBJ"

Well, it has nothing to do with hockey or the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Let me start by saying that I’ve worked in the chocolate industry for over 20 years…

In my early 20s, I started hanging out with a new group of friends. In our group there were 3 Jasons, so if I came up in conversation when I wasn’t around…
someone would ask “which Jason?”, and the response would be.. “ the chocolate bar guy”. This quickly changed into Chocolate Bar Jay, and then became CBJ.
Most of my friends call me CB or CBJ. Even their kids call me CBJ

Jay
CBJ

Are you a Bicycle collector? Come join the Facebook group: www.BicycleCardCollectors.com
RSLancastr

CBJ wrote:For those who haven't looked in my featured collector thread.. here it is...

"CBJ"

Well, it has nothing to do with hockey or the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Let me start by saying that I’ve worked in the chocolate industry for over 20 years…

In my early 20s, I started hanging out with a new group of friends. In our group there were 3 Jasons, so if I came up in conversation when I wasn’t around…
someone would ask “which Jason?”, and the response would be.. “ the chocolate bar guy”. This quickly changed into Chocolate Bar Jay, and then became CBJ.
Most of my friends call me CB or CBJ. Even their kids call me CBJ

Jay
And the reason you chose that particular AoS as your avatar?
-Marcel Marceau
RickardSmith

Unread post by RickardSmith »

My name... but I prefer to go by Rick
sinjin7
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by sinjin7 »

I used to play a lot of 2 man beach volleyball, so I was a huge fan of Sinjin Smith (he and Karch Kiraly are probably the two greatest of all time), that's why I go by sinjin7. I grew up in southern California and am a die hard Dodgers fan.
chach
White Whale: Vietnam Era Secret Weapon
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by chach »

I explained my username before in the last person to post thread, basically place I used to work at, to Chach something was the work friendly way of saying you f'ed it up. I would regularly assign things to a person that didn't think they should be assigned to him in addition to being my clumsy self and f'ing things up regularly so he started calling me Chach, which led to everyone in the dept calling me Chach and it's stuck since then. Even the Urban Dictionary definition fits for the most part (I don't pop my collar but I do tend to piss people off.).

As for my avatar, I change them frequently on the different forums. Right now it's the badger from the old badger badger badger vid. http://youtu.be/EIyixC9NsLI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another one I use is the horse face from this semi-NSFW annoying song, http://youtu.be/M6u2vjPoh8c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WTB/WTT: Vietnam Era Bicycle Secret Weapon Deck
CBJ
Decks Owned: 2000

Unread post by CBJ »

RSLancastr wrote:
And the reason you chose that particular AoS as your avatar?

Ahhh... the spade pic.

It's actually a belt buckle pic that I stumbled upon one day, and I saved it. Then when I joined UC.net... I used it.

Here's the original pic/site it's from
http://charpkustoms.com/proddetail.php?prod=BELKTFS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can't bother to change it now... I've been using it for years, on all the different forums and sites

BTW... Great thread Robert
CBJ

Are you a Bicycle collector? Come join the Facebook group: www.BicycleCardCollectors.com
RSLancastr

RickardSmith wrote:My name... but I prefer to go by Rick
Thanks for the explanation, Rick!

So your first name is actually "Rickard"? I don't think I've ever heard of that before.

And the reason behind your invisible (or perhaps microscopic) avatar?
-Marcel Marceau
RSLancastr

sinjin7 wrote:I used to play a lot of 2 man beach volleyball, so I was a huge fan of Sinjin Smith (he and Karch Kiraly are probably the two greatest of all time), that's why I go by sinjin7. I grew up in southern California and am a die hard Dodgers fan.
Thanks for the explanation, Sinjin!

I have a dear friend who was a member of the first USA Beach Volleyball Olympic team, in 1996 (Atlanta). Her name is neither Sinjin nor Karch, BTW).

Whereabouts in SoCal? I was born and raised in Los Angeles County.

I'm not a sports fan, but my wife was a die-hard Dodgers fan up until the strike, after which she pretty much lost all interest in the sport. Her son (from her first marriage) is still a huge Dodger fan.
-Marcel Marceau
RSLancastr

CBJ wrote:It's actually a belt buckle pic that I stumbled upon one day, and I saved it. Then when I joined UC.net... I used it.

Here's the original pic/site it's from
http://charpkustoms.com/proddetail.php?prod=BELKTFS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can't bother to change it now... I've been using it for years, on all the different forums and sites
Nice! Did you get the belt buckle? That would be cool...

BTW... Great thread Robert
Thanks! Yes, I find that I've learned a lot whenever I have started a thread like this somewhere.
-Marcel Marceau