Comics and Superhero movies

Off-topic randomness, anything goes. Keep it PG-13.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Comics and Superhero movies

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Posted this somewhere else, but I thought it deserved its own thread.
MagikFingerz wrote:Any comic fans here?

Ooga chaka ooga chaka ooga ooga ooga chaka!
Not really a big fan of Guardians, but I'm assuming this will lay the groundwork for either Avengers 2 or 3 (also assuming Thanos will be the villain in Avengers 3 since we saw him at the end of Avengers).

If you haven't seen Captain America: Winter Soldier, you should do it ASAP. And if you're following the Agents of SHIELD series, it ties in heavily with CA:WS, so you might want to hold off on new episodes until you see it.

Another thing to watch is the special that aired a few weeks ago called Marvel Studios: Assembling a Universe, which shows how all the movies have been planned and tied together along with some previews of the upcoming movies (Guardians, Avengers 2 and Ant-Man). Can be found through torrents, not sure about any streaming sites.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
chach
White Whale: Vietnam Era Secret Weapon
Decks Owned: 0

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe

Unread post by chach »

I'm a fan, my favorites are Judge Dredd, Deadpool and The Walking Dead. Used to read a lot of x-men and others when I was a kid but I try and limit it to those three now. Was never into Spider-Man and Batman and I hated Cap, Thor and Hulk. Ironman was always take it or leave it for me, never went out of my way to read his stuff but if my friends had an issue laying about I'd give it a gander. I've never read a Guardians issue but looking forward to the movie and I'll check into that show you mentioned, hadn't heard of it. The assembling a universe one that is. I gave AoS a try, the suck age was too great and I couldn't stand it anymore. Heard it's gotten better though, maybe I'll give it a second try.
WTB/WTT: Vietnam Era Bicycle Secret Weapon Deck
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, like many shows AoS had a slow start. It had a turning point around ep 8 and has been getting better since. It has definitely been worth it so far, even if Coulson sometimes seem like the only character that makes it worthwhile.

I'm not really a comic reader myself, but I love the cinematic stuff. Will be interesting to see the upcoming Netflix series on Daredevil, Iron Fist, Luke Cage and Jessica Jones.
- Tom

Check out my collection

Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

DC (mainly Batman to be specific) and Vertigo guy here. Though I dabble enough into Marvel to know what's what, I don't know all the intricacies of the universe. I know enough to get by and understand the movies and their connections with each other. I always jump at the opportunity to be introduced to new films based on comics I've never read, like RIPD and GoTG.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, I guess we could discuss DC stuff here as well. I'm very curious about the upcoming Superman/Batman movie, which seems to have been not only hyped up to being more than just Superman 2 featuring Batman, but also rushed towards Justice League proportions with the inclusion of both Wonder Woman and Flash. I loved Man of Steel though, so I have high hopes.
- Tom

Check out my collection

montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Re: Cinematic Universes of Comics

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

I never really read any comics (till the more recent Stepehn King Dark Tower adaptations and Watchmen), but my intorduction tot eh world of comics was heavily marvel with the 90's Xmen and Spaiderman cartoons.

The marvel universe has been (as a whole) pretty astounding so far - Winter Soldier is definitely worth your money, and AoS has improved a lot and ties in well to WS and Thor 2 to a degree.

I have heard there will be more Marvel tv series coming:

Agent Carter - chronicling Agent Cater (after the one shot) and the beginnings of Sheild
The Defenders Project: 5 Netflix exclusive shows - one each for Luke Cage, Daredevil, Iron Fist and Jessica Jones, culminating in a Defenders Miniseries featuring all 4 heroes.

No idea if the aim is to tie into Avengers 3 (you'd think they'd NEED an army versus Thanos thougH!).

Whatever the intention MCU is easily the most ambitions TV / Movie project ever and so far is delivering in spades! Love it!
dazzleguts
White Whale: Das Kartenspiel Des Oberdeutsc
Decks Owned: 885

Unread post by dazzleguts »

In comics I mostly went for particular artists like Bill Sienkiewicz, Dave McKean, Mobius, Jack Kirby, Bernard Krigstein.... Always had a soft spot for the super heroes who didn't have supernatural powers - like Daredevil and Batman. Also followed Wolverine with his rude character and Canadian background.

I've been enjoying them all on film as well. The first Thor was a real surprise for me since I didn't read the comics but really enjoyed the movie. Ended up getting the Thor Tales of Asgard collection from Marvel after seeing the film. I also thought the first Hellboy movie was excellent, though I don't have any of the comics.

Really really hoping they'll make a Dr. Strange and incorporate all that psychedelic imagery that went with his powers, though I seem to remember there being some contention over the rights to Dr. Strange?
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

VERY small spoiler, but "Steven Strange" was mentioned by Nick Fury in Captain America: Winter Soldier. I think that's a pretty good sign that he's getting his own movie, though probably not until phase 3 (after Avengers 2).
- Tom

Check out my collection

dazzleguts

Cool.
If it does happen maybe a collection of the Dr. Strange comics will be released as well.
Worldwide Time Machine

montecarlojoe

Rumours are Johnny Depp for Stephen Strange...
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

montecarlojoe wrote:Rumours are Johnny Depp for Stephen Strange...
I don't know if I can picture that working, but he is a good actor so I'll withhold judgement. At least until I see some pictures (Quicksilver from Avengers 2 looks terrible btw).
- Tom

Check out my collection

Sparkz
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by Sparkz »

I still have most of my collection, although I don't really pick up too many new issues anymore. Trades when I'm really interested. Comic book movies were really hit or miss when they 1st started hitting theaters, outside of the Christopher Reeves Superman it was pretty bleak for a long time.

Thank goodness for the advances in special effects, so that our superheroes can be SUPER, lol. I think Marvels formula to link the universe together in the movies is just fantastic, it's always funny when you leave a movie and you hear people saying "...who was that guy at the end?" or "...i didn't get the end" Kind of makes us comic book geeks feel we know something everybody else doesn't.

Read a few Guardians and I'm looking forward to the movie............the Superman/Batman movie, I just have a bad feeling about, I want it to be good, but your asking Marvel and DC to play nice in the sandbox, they have problems with that at times, lol.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sparkz wrote:the Superman/Batman movie, I just have a bad feeling about
Me too. Can't see Ben Affleck as Batman/Bruce Wayne, and I get the feeling that they're trying to rush towards a Justice League franchise to catch up to Marvel. If they don't take their time and do it right it'll just flop.

I do like the show Arrow though (for those who don't know, it's based on the DC character Green Arrow), and I'm looking forward to the Flash spinoff. I wish there were more tv series based on superheroes, they just have to pick the ones that don't need that many special effects (like the previously mentioned Marvel B-list'ers). But I guess those are the less popular ones as well, so it's a risk. Did anyone ever watch Birds of Prey? IMO an instant classic that was cancelled too early.
- Tom

Check out my collection

montecarlojoe

Flash and Gotham (following Gordan as the main character) are both coming soon. Flash is a spin-off form Arrow, but I don't know if Gotham will be in the same universe.
dazzleguts

MagikFingerz wrote:
montecarlojoe wrote:Rumours are Johnny Depp for Stephen Strange...
I don't know if I can picture that working, but he is a good actor so I'll withhold judgement. At least until I see some pictures (Quicksilver from Avengers 2 looks terrible btw).
Steve Ditko's Stephen Strange was approaching mid life when he got his power - no way baby-face Depp will fit that roll. :evil: Strange had a rather devilish look to go with his misanthropic past. They're always trying to shoehorn/misscast some big name into characters that don't suit them at all.

Ben Affleck as Batman?!? :?
Worldwide Time Machine

montecarlojoe

Lol - Depp is 50 you know...

Who do you think might fit the part?

Oooh - How about Viggo Mortensen? Or Mads Mikkelsen?
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Almost forgot about Gotham, that has potential. Could depend on how much of Bruce Wayne's character will be included.

Viggo Mortensen could work. Maybe Keanu Reeves? He's starting to get that distinguished look, and Strange shouldn't be very gray either. He definitely has that devilish look though :mrgreen:

And yes, Ben Affleck has really been cast as Batman. Nobody else understands it either :roll:

EDIT: Russell Crowe as Strange?
- Tom

Check out my collection

Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

I'm a pretty big Batman fan and I feel Affleck deserves some slack. Everyone complained about 90s pretty boy Heath Ledger as the Joker and he took that character and owned the crap out of it. Bale is a tough act to follow that's for sure, but I have a feeling Affleck will hold his own. I mean sure he has his flops, but he's delivered some solid performances as well.

It's about time DC tried to catch up to Marvel, coz they're killing it at the box office. They just have to play their cards right and not rush into it.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just found this btw, lots of speculation but it's an interesting read: http://whatculture.com/film/predicting- ... e-2028.php

EDIT: After reading through the whole thing, it's really only interesting a few movies past the announced ones. It then goes into pure speculation, with a ludicrous end :roll:
- Tom

Check out my collection

chach
White Whale: Vietnam Era Secret Weapon
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by chach »

Y'all can keep your batmans, supermans and talking raccoons. By far the best recent comic book adaptation featured Karl Urban. Just hope they make the sequel.
Attachments
image.jpg
WTB/WTT: Vietnam Era Bicycle Secret Weapon Deck
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

chach wrote:Y'all can keep your batmans, supermans and talking raccoons. By far the best recent comic book adaptation featured Karl Urban. Just hope they make the sequel.
As someone who isn't very well versed in comic lore outside the cinematic stuff, I thought that the Dredd movie didn't tell me much about the character. I mean, it was a good movie and all, and I can see how someone who's already a fan of the character would enjoy the movie adaptation, but to me it might as well be Arnold or Clint Eastwood playing that role :|

Btw, the next episode of Arrow is the one that supposedly introduces The Flash (although Barry Allen has already been on and had his accident, he's currently in a coma). I've read that in regards to visual effects they're doing something different from what's been done before, so it won't be the same blurry stuff that we've all seen.
- Tom

Check out my collection

montecarlojoe

You know Clint in his prime would have been a PERFECT Dredd...

Yeah - I'm a few eps ahead with Arrow - I quite like Barry Allens Character - there's a couple of promo pics of him too:

http://cdn02.cdn.justjared.com/wp-content/uploads/headlines/2014/02/grant-gustin-as-the-flash-first-image-revealed.jpg
http://d.ibtimes.co.uk/en/full/1369804/flash.jpg

Presuperluminal stretches
http://cdn04.cdn.justjared.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/gustin-flashes/grant-gustin-flashes-into-action-11.jpg
Don Boyer

Unread post by Don Boyer »

MagikFingerz wrote: Another thing to watch is the special that aired a few weeks ago called Marvel Studios: Assembling a Universe, which shows how all the movies have been planned and tied together along with some previews of the upcoming movies (Guardians, Avengers 2 and Ant-Man). Can be found through torrents, not sure about any streaming sites.
MS:AaU is actually on the "Watch ABC" app and VoD - but only to the people who use TV providers that ABC gets along with. I've been trying to follow "Mind Games" but finally gave up because they made me jump through too many hoops (I'm a Time Warner Cable customer, meaning I'm on the "naughty" list). How excluding audience members is good for the TV ad business is utterly beyond my comprehension. I wouldn't pay ABC one red cent for advertising as long as that policy remains in place.
VP/Dir. of Club Forum/Chair Diamond Awards Cmte., 52 Plus Joker Club - http://52plusjoker.org/
Proprietor, Don Boyer Magic - http://donboyermagic.com/
The Deck Tailor, a division of Don Boyer Magic - Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Sharps - http://www.thedecktailor.com/
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

What do y'all think of Affleck's Batman? I think it's shaping up pretty great. Borrows heavily from Miller's TDKR.

I'm excited. :ugdance:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (59.33 KiB) Viewed 18574 times
montecarlojoe

It's a nice shot - will be interesting to see how much he can move unthat that much padding lol

Did you see teh Flash series trailer?
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

I did! It's looking pretty darn good! And it's crossing over with Arrow which is definitely a plus.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Is it crossing over? I was really expecting him to appear in the show before the season ended, but that didn't happen. It was a nice promo though.

The season finale of Agents of Shield was effin' AWESOME! Everything that needed to happen, happened :D Very excited about the next season, too bad it's so far away. I'm assuming it will have an even more significant role in the cinematic universe, since it will air between Guardians of the Galaxy and Avengers 2.

Oh yeah, Batman looks alright, I guess. Looks like he's wearing a kevlar plate molded from a bodybuilder, but that never stopped him before :lol:
- Tom

Check out my collection

Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Trailer has Flash and Arrow chit chatting, sharing superhero tips and tricks.

And the suit looks a bit form fitting, but hey...as long as it doesn't have nipples I'm good. :lol:
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah, my bad. I had only seen the short promo thingie, went to find the full 5 min trailer just now.

Well, looks like this fall will be pretty epic (although season 3 of Arrow doesn't have a date yet, but if it follows the pattern of the first two it ought to start airing in October).
- Tom

Check out my collection

CBJ
Decks Owned: 2000

Unread post by CBJ »

Here's a much bigger and clearer batman pic

http://i.imgur.com/FFQY1Lo.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

>
CBJ

Are you a Bicycle collector? Come join the Facebook group: www.BicycleCardCollectors.com