[SPOILERS] Star Wars Last Jedi

Off-topic randomness, anything goes. Keep it PG-13.
theCapraAegagrus

[SPOILERS] Star Wars Last Jedi

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

I was going to make 2 different threads, 1 for those who have not seen the movie, and 1 for those who have. That's no fun, though, so if you've seen the movie please share your thoughts.

I personally think that it is easily one of the worst Star Wars movies. Possibly worse than The Phantom Menace (that's saying A LOT).

It's the only Star Wars movie in which The Force is used by multiple people but no lightsaber duels occur.

Kylo Ren can stop lasers mid-air but can barely fight off a few Imperial Guards after killing Snoke..?

The main plot is "let's follow the resistance until they run out of fuel".
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes

Re: [SPOILERS] Star Wars Last Jedi

Unread post by rousselle »

I rather enjoyed the experience. They made some choices that I wouldn't have, and actually that I wish they hadn't, and there were a few snippets here and there that kinda bumped me out a little bit, however:

* there were a few genuine surprises that were well handled
* the jump-to-lightspeed scene absolutely (and literally) took my breath away
* several characters in this movie had actual character development / arcs
* several characters interacting with each other with different, and evolving motives
* evolving relationships
* showing how one event (Luke at the Temple with his light saber as he contemplates Ben) can be viewed multiple ways
* The answer to Rey's parentage was exactly right
* Kylo's transformation from sniveling wanna-be to definite bad ass
* While there are callbacks to other Star Wars movies, this one is not a retread of any of them. This actually tells a different story. Return of the Jedi and Force Awakens are both retreads of the first movie (although, to be fair, Force Awakens was an *excellent* retread.)

And, really, why wouldn't Snoke's guards be total bad asses themselves?
This space intentionally left blank.
theCapraAegagrus

Re: [SPOILERS] Star Wars Last Jedi

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

rousselle wrote:I rather enjoyed the experience. They made some choices that I wouldn't have, and actually that I wish they hadn't, and there were a few snippets here and there that kinda bumped me out a little bit, however:

* there were a few genuine surprises that were well handled
* the jump-to-lightspeed scene absolutely (and literally) took my breath away
* several characters in this movie had actual character development / arcs
* several characters interacting with each other with different, and evolving motives
* evolving relationships
* showing how one event (Luke at the Temple with his light saber as he contemplates Ben) can be viewed multiple ways
* The answer to Rey's parentage was exactly right
* Kylo's transformation from sniveling wanna-be to definite bad ass
* While there are callbacks to other Star Wars movies, this one is not a retread of any of them. This actually tells a different story. Return of the Jedi and Force Awakens are both retreads of the first movie (although, to be fair, Force Awakens was an *excellent* retread.)

And, really, why wouldn't Snoke's guards be total bad asses themselves?
Agree with the bolded. Every bad movie has a few good scenes/themes.

As much as I like to respect everyone else's opinions...

- I don't think any of the "surprises" were handled well. Snoke's death is a complete abomination. No back story or build-up to the end of seemingly the most powerful Force user in Star Wars cinematic history. Leia living on just doesn't make any sense. If you're not going to kill her off on-screen, then you're really doing the character no service, as her death now likely occurs before the events of Episode IX. Luke's death was so stupid and anti-climactic that I cried because of how bad it was (and alienating) and not how emotionally impacting it was.

- Aside from Rey and Kylo Ren, not a single character received any development. Finn's is completely stifled by being virtually useless to the plot. Poe's doesn't exist because his mutiny is the result of poor superior communication.

- IMO Kylo was always a "bad ass" because Abrams made a point to show how powerful Chewbacca's weapon was in TFA, and when he shoots Ben he barely flinches. Maybe not "bad ass" to everyone but it highlighted exactly how powerful he is. His temper makes him a compelling character and ground him with "human" weakness that allows us to relate to him. Most power-hungry people have emotional problems and that's clearly showcased with Kylo Ren consistently.

- You have to admit that Leia flying through space is awfully ridiculous and shameful. Had she died there, at the hands of TIE fighters flanking Ben and not Ben himself, would have been great because he had an opportunity to kill his past and it was done FOR him. It would have been different, and a proud death for a General serving with her resistance fleet. Huge opportunity missed.

- Luke confronting Kylo in astral projection and then dying is even more ridiculous. After all he's done, he dies as a coward unwilling to actually face the apprentice that he failed? Luke wasn't a freaking coward in the original trilogy. He was a brave freakin' hero. I know he went hermit after failing his entire class by failing Ben and creating Kylo Ren, but this movie should have shown us more of the real Luke Skywalker after figures of his past (a young Jedi, Chewbacca, R2D2, etc) try to reel him in. He doesn't atone for his mistake. He doesn't make it right. He doesn't even truthfully try. Even more frustrating is that Poe guesses that he's allegedly "stalling for them to escape" without telling them or Leia that was his plan..? I don't even know wtf more to say about that...

It's honestly the worst film I've ever seen in a movie theatre.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠