Comics and Superhero movies

Off-topic randomness, anything goes. Keep it PG-13.
chach
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Vietnam Era Secret Weapon
Decks Owned: 0

Re: Comics and Superhero movies

Unread post by chach »

I always liked the Sin city movie, both for its artistic style and its storylines. It's not for everyone that's for sure, but it is based off of a series of comics / graphic novels and that is always a polarizing factor with crowds, especially those adapted from artists like Frank Miller (Sin City, 300 and the comic Dark Knight Returns which Nolan took some aspects from.) or even Allen Moore (Watchmen & v for Vendetta). You either love it or hate it very little grey area.

If you're going into it expecting something based on ultra realism, it isn't the movie for you. But if you accept that it's based on source material where reality is bent and twisted and the story telling is more visual than dialogue driven it's a great piece. The original Sin city comics were fantastic and the movie was great and personally I'm looking forward to A Dame to Kill For (will be interesting to see how Joseph Gordon-Levitt performs as I personally don't think he was a good choice).

It comes out end of August, I'll be seeing it in theaters for sure but probably not opening day.
WTB/WTT: Vietnam Era Bicycle Secret Weapon Deck
CBJ
Decks Owned: 2000

Unread post by CBJ »

Batman Vs Superman: Dawn Of Justice Teaser from Comic Con

and... Wonder Woman....

CBJ

Are you a Bicycle collector? Come join the Facebook group: www.BicycleCardCollectors.com
chach

Unread post by chach »

That teaser sucks (and not just the quality).

The Lady Sif > Wonder Woman

Haters gonna hate but Affleck will kill it as Batman.
chach

Unread post by chach »

Dear God why hasn't this movie been made?!?!?

Leaked Deadpool movie test footage. The movie has been in production limbo for years, but needs to be made. They say the world isn't ready for Deadpool, but oh, here's a movie starring a talking Raccoon and a tree. :evil: :roll: Damnit, make the Deadpool movie already!!!!

http://vimeo.com/101897016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

chach wrote:Dear God why hasn't this movie been made?!?!?

Leaked Deadpool movie test footage. The movie has been in production limbo for years, but needs to be made. They say the world isn't ready for Deadpool, but oh, here's a movie starring a talking Raccoon and a tree. :evil: :roll: Damnit, make the Deadpool movie already!!!!

http://vimeo.com/101897016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
That... is... AWESOME! Get that thing in theaters now! NAAAAOOOOWWW!
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

Well guess what I spotted in a trailer of sin city 2
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
charlie81dbz

Re: Cinematic Universes of Comics

Unread post by charlie81dbz »

chach wrote:Y'all can keep your batmans, supermans and talking raccoons. By far the best recent comic book adaptation featured Karl Urban. Just hope they make the sequel.
Agree 10000% To me, Karl Urban is Dredd the way RDJ is Iron Man. Not that I've read the comics though. I've just gathered the basics on Dredd after reading bitter and angry forum posts on IMDB about how awful the Sly Stone version is (which I happen to like too, it's cheesy 90s action gold). I really wish the new one had done better, but they did a really bad job marketing it. Hopefully the fan outlets pushing can get the sequel done though, it's nice when there's a movie out that actually makes me want to go to a theater and buy way overpriced soda and popcorn.
MagikFingerz wrote:
chach wrote:Dear God why hasn't this movie been made?!?!?

http://vimeo.com/101897016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;..
That... is... AWESOME! Get that thing in theaters now! NAAAAOOOOWWW!
I really don't know anything about Deadpool, other than he seems to be anywhere that has even anything slightly comic related going on. From what's in this video I think I'd probably go see a movie if they make one, but hopefully he's a tad less Jim Carrey like if they do (mostly just reminded me of JC at the very end). It's very weird seeing a superhero that obviously doesn't mind killing though. :o

I didn't get to see the Batman v Superman teaser before it was removed, but I really don't know if I can see it with Ben Affleck as Batman. He might do well in the part (as long as he avoids the horrible voice Bale did, it'll be an improvement) but I really just can't stand watching him. His face always makes me want to punch it. :(

The best Batman for me will always be Kevin Conroy on the animated series. And no one comes close to matching Mark Hamill as the Joker. That laugh! XD

charlie :)
chach

Unread post by chach »

The issue that the Karl Urban Dredd movie had was that it came out just as the 3D wave was starting to crash, but the marketing execs hadn't gotten that memo and so all that it was touted as was Dredd 3D. That was even the name of it, rather than just Dredd. The pre-release marketing definitely killed it unfortunately. Had they dropped the whole 3D shenanigans and just marketed it as a shoot 'em up bad ass kill everyone and mama (sorry, spoilers) the film would've done a whole lot better IMO. It's one of my favorite flicks, I've probably watched it more times than Serenity & the Firefly series.

Deadpool... The merc with a mouth. This is the summary of him from his latest issue, "Probably the worlds most skilled mercenary, definitely the worlds most annoying. Wade Wilson was chosen for a top-secret government program that gave him a healing factor allowing him to heal from any wound. Now, Wade makes his way as a gun for hire, shooting his prey's faces off while talking his friends' ears off. call him Merc with the Mouth...call him the Regeneratin' Degenerate...call him... DEADPOOL"

So yeah, he started as an anti-hero, his debut (in the comic I posted above) was as a mercenary hired to take out Cable from X-Force. They later became friends after Deadpool ended up being such a hit with readers. As mentioned, he has a healing factor like Wolverine, but he gets scarred from the healing process. Under the hood he's one ugly son of a b----. He's known for crazy antics, breaking the fourth wall and a love for tacos and chimichangas. He's often paired with Capt America and Wolverine and while he considers the other superheroes his friends, they don't always think the same of him. But really, he's the funniest hero out there, and as you said, he's not afraid to kill. He enjoys it actually.

His current storyline has him marrying the queen of the vampires and fighting Dracula (her ex-fiancé) while his partners at SHIELD look into his past and have found his daughter. In a few issues there's supposed to be a lot of answers brought about of his past. Exciting times to be a comic book nerd.

And yes, Mark Hamill did an excellent Joker, by far the best voice work for the character, but Heath Ledger WAS Joker. I knew he'd nail the role from the very instant I heard he was cast and that was only solidified when that first promo face shot of him in makeup was released. He was a great actor and cut down in his prime unfortunately.

But yeah, for voice acting though, nobody can beat Hamill's Joker. http://youtu.be/LeT0CCQ1yqo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
chach

Unread post by chach »

Flash from the past. Found this guy going through an old longbox. Had forgotten about it.

Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Coolio! :)

So....did anyone go to the premier?
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Eoghann wrote:Coolio! :)

So....did anyone go to the premier?
No, but I have tickets for Sunday. Trying to avoid spoilers like the plague :roll:
- Tom

Check out my collection

montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

Going tonight!

Will be staing to the end of the credits - 'cos you just know there'll be something...
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

montecarlojoe wrote:Going tonight!

Will be staing to the end of the credits - 'cos you just know there'll be something...
Yeah, there definitely will. I hear it's good, too.
- Tom

Check out my collection

chach

Unread post by chach »

I went Thursday afternoon to see Guardians, excellent movie and easily a start of a great franchise that's apart from the Avengers. Lot of humor, great action sequences and a few parts to get misty eyed over. CGI all top notch, definitely worth seeing in the theater.

Ending credits sequence, funny but doesn't hint of things to come. At least I hope to God it doesnt.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

chach wrote:I went Thursday afternoon to see Guardians, excellent movie and easily a start of a great franchise that's apart from the Avengers. Lot of humor, great action sequences and a few parts to get misty eyed over. CGI all top notch, definitely worth seeing in the theater.

Ending credits sequence, funny but doesn't hint of things to come. At least I hope to God it doesnt.
Yeah, from what I've heard (spoiler-free) it's more "for fun" than a teaser. But yes, without having seen it yet I think this is a great way to introduce the cosmic (non-earthly) side of Marvel's Cinematic Universe and make it easier to tie things together for Avengers 3 (which I assume will be based on Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet, as teased in previous movies).

Btw, new stuff I've heard of (add your thoughts as you see fit): The sinister six movie has not been discussed here yet (has it?), that's kind of a wild card. Sounds weird to have a movie based on the bad guys, but it might just turn out to be amazing. Also, based on a recent teaser for the Flash series (shows a billboard with the words "Palmers Technologies") and stuff from comic con, Ray Palmer (The Atom) will take over Queen Consolidated in Arrow. Quite interesting!
- Tom

Check out my collection

Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Going to watch GOTG tomorrow. :D

So just for kicks, I found this:

http://www.superherohype.com/upcoming-movies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Marvel is really putting the pedal to the metal cranking out movies.

Soooo......who the heck is excited for Ant Man! :lol:

Honestly I think there's plenty more superheroes they could have gone with before Ant Man.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just had a friend ask me "when will Marvel make a movie that flops?". I doubt any movie they make at this point will actually flop, but I do think Ant-Man will be their least successful movie yet. Mainly because the character is boring (and particularly since he's not the creator of Ultron as he is in the comics), and those are words coming from comic fans. He's a founding member of the Avengers (in the comics), and that's really the only reason for making this movie as far as I can tell. The other characters they're (supposedly) introducing are also wild cards (Dr Strange, Black Panther), but they feel like characters with more depth to them.

EDIT: Oh btw, Deadpool does say "Hi Tom" at the end of that leaked footage, right? :ugking:
- Tom

Check out my collection

chach

Unread post by chach »

Every time I hear a production update of Ant Man I die inside a bit. He's the worst super hero since Aquaman and Asbestos Lady. Yes, that's a real Marvel character from the 40s. I'd rather see a Squirrel Girl movie than an Ant Man one. The number of directors and actors that have dropped out can only show how horrible an idea Ant Man is. They need to push it to Netflix with some of their other projects to save themselves from a total flop.

And yes, he does say Hi Tom at the end of the clip. Also there's a high res version of the video floating around that shows the detail on the paper he showed the biker baddy and it's a drawing of him slicing the dude's head off.
Firthetic

Unread post by Firthetic »

Guys, I watched Guardians of the Galaxy in IMAX 3D today. I can't believe I'm saying this but: I enjoyed it more than The Avengers! Chris Pratt is just perfect as Peter Quill. Great action with laugh-out-loud jokes. I can't recommend it enough.

Now I can't wait for their respective sequels. ;)
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Firthetic wrote:Guys, I watched Guardians of the Galaxy in IMAX 3D today. I can't believe I'm saying this but: I enjoyed it more than The Avengers! Chris Pratt is just perfect as Peter Quill. Great action with laugh-out-loud jokes. I can't recommend it enough.

All I'm worried about now is having too high expectations :roll: Seeing it in about an hour :ugdance:
- Tom

Check out my collection

volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

MagikFingerz wrote:
Firthetic wrote:Guys, I watched Guardians of the Galaxy in IMAX 3D today. I can't believe I'm saying this but: I enjoyed it more than The Avengers! Chris Pratt is just perfect as Peter Quill. Great action with laugh-out-loud jokes. I can't recommend it enough.

All I'm worried about now is having too high expectations :roll: Seeing it in about an hour :ugdance:
Would you like spoilers would you ? Ive seen the show as well :lol: :lol:
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

volantangel wrote:
MagikFingerz wrote:

Would you like spoilers would you ? Ive seen the show as well :lol: :lol:
- Tom

Check out my collection

Godzillian

Unread post by Godzillian »

I never understood why people loved the Avengers. On the other hand, I can't wait to rewatch Galaxy of the Guardians! It's easily one of the best Action Sci-fi movies I've seen in a while. Lots of badass moments & hilarity.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yep, everyone was right. It's effin' EPIC! Although I have to say, I'm glad I had some prior knowledge from reading on wikipedia and youtube videos (Comics 101).

The only thing that was disappointing was the post-credits scene.
- Tom

Check out my collection

Godzillian

Unread post by Godzillian »

MagikFingerz wrote:Yep, everyone was right. It's effin' EPIC! Although I have to say, I'm glad I had some prior knowledge from reading on wikipedia and youtube videos (Comics 101).

The only thing that was disappointing was the post-credits scene.
I didn't have any prior knowledge at all. I just went in knowing there were 5 heroes - a smartass, an assassin, a tattooed brute, a tree and a talking raccoon. The trailer was excellent, and although it contained scenes from the movie, those scenes were still funny.

Can't wait for GoG2. I think fans would freak the hell out if Marvel did a mashup between Avengers and GoG2. That'd be insane! (not a big fan of The Avengers as a whole though)
DelMagic

Unread post by DelMagic »

I saw Guardians of the Galaxy a few days. I'm a longtime reader of Marvel comics, and a particular fan of stories with Thanos.

First off, the choice of the title Guardians of the Galaxy was very confusing since Marvel had a different group using the same name which originated long ago had its own comic book for about five years in the 90s. When I first heard the title of the movie, I thought it was about that group. For some reason, Marvel decided to use the name again with this group.

I don't have a knowledge of Star Lord, Rocket and Groot from my comic book reading except for a very recent book that had them in it. Groot was funny and the little Groot was so cute that am looking forward to seeing his growth.

However, I have read many stories with Ronan, Gamora and Drax. Since Ronan didn't really have a lot of onscreen time, there isn't much to say about him, but I will say I doubt he would have thrown a hissy fit in front of Thanos. But Gamora and Drax were pretty lame in the movie compared to their comic book characters. That was a little disheartening.

Also, the whole depiction of the Infinity Stone in the movie is completely "wrong" when compared to the comic book presentation. Just imagine Superman at X-years of age, coming out the Kryptonian ship with his full complement of powers and you will understand the new direction the movie producers took. Many of the Elders who possessed the Infinity Stones in The Thanos Quest (a super two-book series) had barely scratched the surface when using these stones. Simple possession doesn't make one a powerful cosmic entity - skill and knowledge are necessary.

The movie was entertaining, but I didn't enjoy it as much as many seemed to enjoy it. I suppose the humor didn't resonate as much with me since I am probably older than the target audience. I look forward to the next movie mainly to see Thanos more involved. The portrayal of this team just didn't make me really look forward to their exploits in the future. It looked like Yondu could have taken most of them out (excepting Groot) if he wanted to.

From my viewpoint and my daughters as well, (both readers of comics) , this was nowhere near as good as the Avengers. My daughters did enjoy the humor in GOTG more than I did.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

What I liked the most about GotG was the overall lighthearted vibe it had, which few superhero movies have. I think this was mostly due to the awesome soundtrack, whoever came up with the idea of the walkman and Awesome Mix Vol. 1 is a genius!
- Tom

Check out my collection

chach

Unread post by chach »

So, FOX has confirmed a DEADPOOL movie for 2016!!!!!!! Oh hell yeah!!!!!!!!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/x ... rect=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Twentieth Century Fox and Marvel Comics' are moving ahead with their long-gestating X-Men spinoff Deadpool.

On Thursday, the studio announced that the movie will hit theaters Feb. 12, 2016. Tim Miller is set to direct the film, with Ryan Reynolds long rumored to star, although no deal is set. Bets are that he will.

The beloved Marvel character Deadpool, a.k.a. Wade Wilson, is a talkative mercenary with a host of powers, including the ability to heal at a fast rate. Reynolds played Wilson in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, while Scott Adkins played the character of Deadpool after Wilson had transformed.

News of Deadpool's release comes weeks after test footage of the project leaked briefly online. The sequence, featuring Reynolds, was shot several years ago, but nevertheless sparked intense conversation on social media.
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Awesome! Ever since the Wolverine movie, I saw Reynolds was born for that role.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Happy about that news, not so happy about Fox being the ones carrying it out. Didn't know they owned the rights, though I guess I should've known since he was in the X Origins movie.
Eoghann wrote:Awesome! Ever since the Wolverine movie, I saw Reynolds was born for that role.
Oh, for sure! Making it without him just wouldn't work.
- Tom

Check out my collection