Last person to post wins. . . . .

Off-topic randomness, anything goes. Keep it PG-13.
theCapraAegagrus

Re: Last person to post wins. . . . .

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

Do you watch many U18 players?

IMO Andrei Svechnikov is the best player available for the upcoming draft but I know that most scouting agencies have Rasmus Dahlin going 1st. Either of them would've been drafted before Hischier and Patrick in 2017. That's how good these guys are. Hopefully Svechnikov #2 falls far enough for Detroit to grab (or they win the lottery and pick him).
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Räpylätassu
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

I follow the draft speculation during the season very closely. Svechnikov might go number 2, but so might Tkachuk and Zadina. Although the Avs are still in playoff race, the best thing for them would be to fall out of it and get lucky by winning one of the spots in the draft lottery. Is there really a point to make in so that you can have your ass kicked by Vegas 4-0 in the first round?

Luckily the Avs cap situation looks great, they got a whole bunch of great pieces from the Duchene trade and they got a couple of nice prospects in Makar, Timmins, Morrison, Greer and a lot of young NHL players like Girard, Zadorov, Rantanen, Compher, Kerfoot, Jost, Kamenev (NHL ready, but injured). Oh and of course Nathan Freaking MacKinnon. Also they really have no horrible contracts, except maybe Söderberg and 4,75 for this + 2 after that for him is not a good contract but they won't be in trouble because of it.

Talking about the Cap situation in Detroit... Yeah I'm not going to even go there, you already knows that it sucks, my brother is always baffeled just how bad it is. Holland went from being NHL's best GM to ruining his team with horrible, too long and too expensive contracts for mediocre players. Well at least you got plenty of picks in the draft + everything you are going to get from Green + possibly Tatar and/or Nyquist. #FallingForDahlin :D
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
theCapraAegagrus

Zadina and Tkachuk are barely half as good as Svechnikov... Look at how bad Barrie is. If Andrei had even a couple of good teammates his numbers might be as high as McDavid's were in his draft year.

Detroit's cap situation is exaggerated. If we could get rid of the Nielsen and Helm contracts (and DeKeyser if he doesn't turn it back around) then there's nothing to worry about. It's too bad, because Helm is such a great player and it's impossible not to root for him, but that contract is bad.

Holland better not trade Nyquist or Tatar. We still need veteran players, good players, after Zetterberg and Kronwall are gone to teach the team how to play the 'right' way. Those guys can be the next ambassadors.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Räpylätassu

The Bobfather thinks that Dahlin is the clear number 1 and spots 2-4 could go in any order between Svechnikov, Zadina and Tkachuk. A lot can still happend however, Heiskanen went last year 3rd overall, which nobody could see coming during the trade deadline.

And yeah, the Wings are screwed. They currently have 0 dollars in cap space. Okay, they get 6 million out with Green and 700k out with Booth, 2 million out with Mrazek and Weiss' annual buyout drops 1 million. They still have to sign: Athanasiou, Larkin, Mantha, Bertuzzi and Frk. They should have about a bit less than 10 million to sign those guys and they really need to get a new back up goalie. They have to shed some salary and besides Green, Tatar and Nyquist are the only guys any GM is going to want, nobody is going to touch Ericssons, Kronwalls, Helms, Nielsens, or Abdelkaders contracts with a 10 foot stick, players who have seen their best days locked up with way too expensive contracts and horribly long term, almost all of them also having NTC's. I am seeing hard time that anyone except Tatar or Nyquist could be moved.

Edit: Ah damn, forgot that the cap is going up next year by several millions. They might not be so screwed after all.

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
theCapraAegagrus

It's difficult to compare the value of forwards vs defensemen, obviously, because of their differing responsibilities. In this case, I can't say that whoever drafts Dahlin will regret it, because I think he'll be a top-pairing defenseman in a few years. If someone drafts Zadina or Tkachuk before Svechnikov, though, they most certainly will regret that.

The thing about some of those contracts is that they don't have to be moved. Abdelkader, Kronwall, and Ericsson shouldn't be shopped. When healthy, they all provide close to the value of their salaries. Athanasiou has similar attitude problems that Mrazek does. The Wings could trade him to the West and I won't lose any sleep. His speed and skill are great, but he's lazy, and thinks he deserves things before he earns them. Frk and Bertuzzi aren't going to command a lot of money, either (neither will a new backup goalie).
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Räpylätassu

I don't really watch Wings games that much myself so I rely on the information I get from my brother, and what he says that Ericsson, Kronwall and Abdelkader are way overpaid. But then again, I have no knowledge of that that I have gathered myself, although I do trust on my brother.

Speaking of overpayment, did you see the deal Gudbransson got from the Nucks? :D Holy hell, what? 4 million cap hit? For 3 years? Only reason he is getting that much money is that he is a... 3rd overall pick over half a decade ago, is that it? That's pretty much like the Leafs paying Roman Polak 4 million per season.

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
theCapraAegagrus

Räpylätassu wrote:I don't really watch Wings games that much myself so I rely on the information I get from my brother, and what he says that Ericsson, Kronwall and Abdelkader are way overpaid. But then again, I have no knowledge of that that I have gathered myself, although I do trust on my brother.

Speaking of overpayment, did you see the deal Gudbransson got from the Nucks? :D Holy hell, what? 4 million cap hit? For 3 years? Only reason he is getting that much money is that he is a... 3rd overall pick over half a decade ago, is that it? That's pretty much like the Leafs paying Roman Polak 4 million per season.
Kronwall isn't overpaid at all. He's the only defenseman other than Green who can make tape-to-tape passes further than 20 feet... The guy was making the same money when he was worth $6 million. At some point, you have to accept that his cap hit will be higher than you want, but for a handful of years he was easily one of the 15 best defensemen in the game while making less than $5 million against the CAP.

Ericsson gets ragged on by everyone because he's huge, but he isn't overly-physical (doesn't have to be - he muscles guys off the puck without much effort) and he doesn't shoot 100+ MPH. Ericsson has solid speed and plays defense-first, though, and you need a couple of guys like that who rarely take chances and focus on actually defending. He'll also stick up for his teammates often.

Abdelkader is probably overpaid, by a bit, but that's difficult to say when GMs throw money around at guys like Lucic and Killorn. It's his contract length that's the real problem. Early in the season he was on-pace for 50+ points which is more than you can realistically ask for. As long as he's a leader, physical and willing to fight, and scoring ~40 points, then it's not a big deal. The last few years will probably be ugly, though.

Vancouver is one of the worst-managed teams in the league... I feel bad for guys like Horvat and Boeser who might be losers their entire career...
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Räpylätassu

On the defence of Vancouver when Benning took over the team they were rotten to the core with several years of bad drafting. Now they are stuffed with great prospects and young players. They might be able to make some real noice in a couple of years.

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
theCapraAegagrus

Thanks for Children of Bodom, btw. And Norther.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Räpylätassu

Never been a big fan of Children of Bodom, haven't heard of the Norther.

Nightwish makes pretty great stuff, you might want to check them out. And Poets of the Fall, they are a rock band, not metal though. Also Apulanta, if you don't mind signing in Finnish.

Do you know the story of the name Children of Bodom though? In the summer of 1960, a group of teenagers decided to camp near the lake Bodom in southern Finland. Long story short: Someone crushed the skulls of three of the teenagers when they slept in the night, the fourth one was found alive but badly hurt. The killer was never caught.

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
theCapraAegagrus

Räpylätassu wrote:Never been a big fan of Children of Bodom, haven't heard of the Norther.

Nightwish makes pretty great stuff, you might want to check them out. And Poets of the Fall, they are a rock band, not metal though. Also Apulanta, if you don't mind signing in Finnish.

Do you know the story of the name Children of Bodom though? In the summer of 1960, a group of teenagers decided to camp near the lake Bodom in southern Finland. Long story short: Someone crushed the skulls of three of the teenagers when they slept in the night, the fourth one was found alive but badly hurt. The killer was never caught.
Children of Bodom was my favorite band circa high school, so yes, I know the story.

Already knew about Nightwish. Never heard of Apulanta.

I play guitar, so Melodic Death Metal tickles the fancy of great riffs, melodies, and solos.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Räpylätassu

Try Apulantas "Pahempi toistaan" or "Koneeseen kadonnut" although they have a whole bunch of great songs, Toni Wirtanen writes great lyrics that you really have to study a bit to get the meaning sometimes.

The only instrument I can play is the doorbell :D

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Why don't you guys just get a room?
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Räpylätassu

MagikFingerz wrote:Why don't you guys just get a room?
I wouldn't want to make you jealous

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
theCapraAegagrus

This is our room now, sucker!

Where we'll post until one of us dies, and the other is crowned "Winner".
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Räpylätassu

Speaking of the draft this year should be pretty quiet for the Finns. Kupari will most likely go somewhere quickly after the TOP 10, Kotkaniemi somewhere after the TOP 20, Jesse Ylönen in the early second round. After that it's pretty damn quiet. Funny thing is that it's entierly possible that not a single center will go in the TOP 10 this year, it's all about defencemen and wingers.

It's still pretty early for the speculation about 2019, but the Finns are supposed to have a monster year at that draft.

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
Merlebird
White Whale: Moon Prism + Dondorf Saks
Decks Owned: 212

Unread post by Merlebird »

Räpylätassu wrote:It's still pretty early for the speculation about 2019, but the Finns are supposed to have a monster year at that draft.
It would be a tossup to say whether I knew less about hockey or about Finland, but how do you predict whether it's going to be a good or a bad year for Finnish players in a hockey draft?

Over here, for the NFL (American football) draft, the math appears to be pretty simple: look at the college players, add a couple years*. But what serves as the farm teams for hockey? Is it college teams or private clubs/leagues or what?

*I say "appears" because, despite having gone to a football-is-a-big-deal college, I know basically nothing about football either, except that it is bad for your noggin.
Räpylätassu

Just what I read that looks like the Finns are going to have a whole bunch of great prospects at the 2019 draft, but of course it's way too early to say anything conslusive, Teemu Pulkkinen looked like a TOP 3 pick and a guaranteed future superstar in the NHL at the age of 16. He ended up going on 4th round in his draft year and nowadays can't seem to produce points in the NHL, despite dominating the farm league AHL.

Also a Finnish player Aleksi Saarela was thought out to be a possible 1st overall pick when he was 15. Ended up going in the 3rd round in his draft year, right now looks like a possible NHL player for the Hurricanes, but nothing he was hyped about to be as a teenager.

As for how the system works in the NHL, every team has a farm team in the AHL and I pretty sure that most AHL teams have farm teams in the ECHL. As for the drafting, very rarely do players jump to the NHL right after their draft year, almost all of the North American players play 1 or 2 more years in the juniors (WHL, OHL, QMHJL or USHL), some jump to Colleage hockey and even after then some still need a year or two in the AHL. As for the Europeans, many stay in their home countries to play a couple of years of professional hockey before trying to crack in to NHL, often needing a season in the AHL to get used in the smaller rink size and just the North American style of play, language etc. And the goalies mature the most slowly, often goalies do not become ready until their mid 20's. So when you draft an 18 year goalie, you are usually drafting a player who might need a 6 to 7 years to be NHL ready. Because of this, goalies rarely are drafted in the 1st round.

As for the drafting in hockey, I am firm believer to drafting skilled players. There are countless of cases of players who dominate in juniors because they are bigger and stronger than others but when they become pro, you'll find out that they can't play. Of course everybody wants big guys who can play and there are countless of cases of that as well, so you really need to see the player multiple times. But a good rule to remember is, that the players you are drafting are kids. And muscle is a lot easier to gain than skill and hockey sense. There are 7 rounds in the draft, everyone of the 31 teams have a 1 pick each round, but of course trades happend all the time.

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
theCapraAegagrus

Teemu Pulkkinen was expected to go 1st in his draft year when he was 16, and then was expected to go 2nd when he was 17, behind Taylor Hall. Then, got injured, and I think most "experts" predicted he would go in the 2nd round. I think he fell to the 4th round because he didn't grow much. He was 5'10" and 170 lbs when the Red Wings drafted him.

Detroit shares Räpylätassu's outlook of drafting skill over size. Obviously, you want a combination of both, but Datsyuk dominated the NHL because of how smart he is, how talented he is, and how hard he worked to be as strong as he could at just 5'11". They guy was pound-for-pound the strongest player in the NHL for about a decade.

It's crazy, because Pulkkinen broke all of Ovechkin's records in the U16, U17, and U18 tournaments. He was breaking 2nd-tier Finnish league records, too, if I remember correctly. And then after he was drafted he broke Selanne's rookie record for assists in the SM-Liiga. He looked like a sure-fire elite sniper for the NHL.

In the summer of 2008, Hakan Andersson the head of Detroit's European Scouting, told a story from the summer of 2000. Many of his colleagues went to their GMs to discuss Niklas Kronwall. Basically all of their GMs told them, "you want us to draft a 5'10" 160 lb defenseman? You're crazy. He'll never make it in this league." Hakan said, "Detroit isn't that vain. They're more open-minded than that." Lo and behold, Kronwall is one of the hardest-hitting defensemen in all hockey history.

In the NHL, a "good draft" for a country means 1 of 2 things:

1. Volume of players from that country expected to be drafted in 1st round.
2. Volume of players form that country expected to be drafted overall.

So, 1 year Finland might have a "great year" because 10 of their countrymen were drafted in the Top-30. Another year, they might have a "good draft" because 30 players from their country were drafted overall.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by rousselle »

TwoPieceFeed wrote:
This is our room now, sucker!

Where we'll post until one of us dies, and the other is crowned "Winner".
Good luck with that.
This space intentionally left blank.
Räpylätassu

Looks like a 3-way deal between Pens, Sens and the Golden Knights about sending Brassard to the Penguins through the Golden Knights who a eat part of the Brassards cap hit and get something for it for compensation. Apperantly Pens' 2018 1st round pick going to the Senators along with a goalie prospect Filip Gustavsson and Ian Cole. So will the Sens flip Cole to the Golden Knights and Pens sends something in Vegas aswell? Apperantly it's so complicated that NHL did not approve of the first proposed trade, the three teams trying to figure out the wrinkles.

Oh and the freaking Pens man! How do they do this?!? If they are going to three peat I will go nuts.

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
th4mo

Unread post by th4mo »

What the hell happened to this thread??? :roll: I miss wally so much! :cry:

And also that Christian guy who used to be funny but now just does deck reviews... :(
Keep it Sizzlin'!
Merlebird
White Whale: Moon Prism + Dondorf Saks
Decks Owned: 212

Unread post by Merlebird »

th4mo wrote:I miss wally so much! :cry:
Just find him, dude, it's not that hard. He's wearing the same outfit he was last time you saw him.
wheres-waldo1.jpg
theCapraAegagrus

th4mo wrote:What the hell happened to this thread??? :roll: I miss wally so much! :cry:

And also that Christian guy who used to be funny but now just does deck reviews... :(
If you miss him so much, why don't you marry him?

Wait, that doesn't sound right...
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

TwoPieceFeed wrote:
th4mo wrote:What the hell happened to this thread??? :roll: I miss wally so much! :cry:

Why don't you and Roope go play with your hockey sticks? :ugthink:
- Tom

Check out my collection

theCapraAegagrus

MagikFingerz wrote:
TwoPieceFeed wrote:

Why don't you and Roope go play with your hockey sticks? :ugthink:
Why don't you go back to the jerk store where your mom bought you!?
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
th4mo

Unread post by th4mo »

Maybe I'll try to summon wally out from the...

VORTEX!
Keep it Sizzlin'!
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

TwoPieceFeed wrote: Why don't you go back to the jerk store where your mom bought you!?
Alright, you get a point for the reference, but you're still on my list, Mr Vandelay.
- Tom

Check out my collection

Räpylätassu

I didn't sleep at all last night because I was clued to my phone waiting for NHL deals to happend, I also listened a couple of hours of a hockey podcast. Today I didn't nap or sleep in the day as I was clued to the screen as I watched the TSN's NHL Trade Deadline studio, several hours of hockey talk. Now the trade window has closed and I need to sleep for about 16-18 hours and not to think about any hockey for at least a day. I also watched a Leafs - Bruins game and after that the Olympic Final. Right now I am not sure if I watched them last night, a night before that or the night before that. All I know is that the Senators did not trade Erik Karlsson and if I don't go to sleep now it might cause problems to my health.

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
theCapraAegagrus

MagikFingerz wrote:
TwoPieceFeed wrote: Why don't you go back to the jerk store where your mom bought you!?
Alright, you get a point for the reference, but you're still on my list, Mr Vandelay.
Please, call me Art.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠